TRON LEGACY

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

TRON LEGACY

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:50 am

I sincerely apologize if this is a dupe thread. I searched through the Movie News forum and couldn't find anything.

Commercial director Joseph Kosinski is in final talks to develop and direct Tron, described as "the next chapter" of Disney's 1982 cult classic, says The Hollywood Reporter. Sean Bailey is producing via Live Planet, as is Steven Lisberger, who co-wrote and directed the original film.

Kosinski, who last month signed on to helm the remake of Logan's Run for Warner Bros. Pictures, will oversee the visual development of the project and have input on the script, which is being written by "Lost" writers Eddie Kitsis and Adam Horowitz.

The original, about a computer programmer thrust into a computer and forced to fight in games he helped create, was the first movie to use computer-generated images instead of models and other optical effects in conjunction with live action. The arcade game based on the movie was so popular that it earned more than the movie.

The trade says that one of the things Kosinski will be doing is working on a sequence involving the movie's Light Cycles to work out his vision for the movie.

Source

So this is a sequel...or a "continuation" but apparently with the same name as the original film. I can't deny that it is comforting having Lisberger produce...and the writing team is as solid as can be. It looks like this director is getting some pretty outstanding projects. Logan's Run AND Tron? Wow. Lets just hope the man has a solid vision.

What say you?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Tron! The Remakequel.

Postby bamf on Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:02 am

Leckomaniac wrote:I sincerely apologize if this is a dupe thread. I searched through the Movie News forum and couldn't find anything.

Commercial director Joseph Kosinski is in final talks to develop and direct Tron, described as "the next chapter" of Disney's 1982 cult classic, says The Hollywood Reporter. Sean Bailey is producing via Live Planet, as is Steven Lisberger, who co-wrote and directed the original film.

Kosinski, who last month signed on to helm the remake of Logan's Run for Warner Bros. Pictures, will oversee the visual development of the project and have input on the script, which is being written by "Lost" writers Eddie Kitsis and Adam Horowitz.

The original, about a computer programmer thrust into a computer and forced to fight in games he helped create, was the first movie to use computer-generated images instead of models and other optical effects in conjunction with live action. The arcade game based on the movie was so popular that it earned more than the movie.

The trade says that one of the things Kosinski will be doing is working on a sequence involving the movie's Light Cycles to work out his vision for the movie.

Source

So this is a sequel...or a "continuation" but apparently with the same name as the original film. I can't deny that it is comforting having Lisberger produce...and the writing team is as solid as can be. It looks like this director is getting some pretty outstanding projects. Logan's Run AND Tron? Wow. Lets just hope the man has a solid vision.

What say you?

You forgot one crucial thing for this post.

END OF LINE..
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby papalazeru on Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:06 am

Let's face it....If they pull this off there are going to be some very happy geeks and it'll be better then the Matrix crapilogy.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby doglips on Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:11 am

I'm in for some updated light cycles, let's hope the story is good.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby papalazeru on Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:23 am

doglips wrote:I'm in for some updated light cycles, let's hope the story is good.

Give me my 3d glasses and a bucket of pop corn and I'll be happy :lol:

papalazeru

Postby LaDracul on Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:38 am

I think I had my fill of that in "Kingdom Hearts 2"...though if we get a scene where he's ticklish after someone is using the keyboard, it'd be worth a rental.

LaDracul
AIRWOLF

Postby DennisMM on Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:10 am

This sucker was born to be IMAX, so long as they don't use shakycam.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby monorail77 on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:35 pm

Tron ANYTHING? I'm there.

Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.Please don't suck. Please don't suck.
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby Fawst on Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:09 pm

Wow, the Halo 3 commercial and the Gears of War "Mad World" one as well? Sign me up. This guy already rules, in my mind.

That and the chicks in his commercials are HOT!
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:28 pm

Special Agent Ranxerox is in the new movie, check it!!!!

He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:45 pm

DennisMM wrote:This sucker was born to be IMAX, so long as they don't use shakycam.

Ditto on IMAX. 3D even.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:06 pm

The Tron 2.0 game, although set in the 2000s (and a bit crap), still used the same stylisation for the inside-of-the-computer stuff. I wonder if they'll try to update it or just create improved visuals based on the old design.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fawst on Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:18 pm

This is such an easy story to do it HURTS. Finn is stuck in a non-networked legacy system, they need to get him out. There is your old-school looking Tron visuals. Then you do updated nice graphics in a new system. Look at the evolution of computer technology since back then. To NOT update the visuals would be ignoring reality entirely. At least, to me.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:27 pm

Fawst wrote:This is such an easy story to do it HURTS. Finn is stuck in a non-networked legacy system, they need to get him out. There is your old-school looking Tron visuals. Then you do updated nice graphics in a new system. Look at the evolution of computer technology since back then. To NOT update the visuals would be ignoring reality entirely. At least, to me.

Although in reality, computer architecture hasn't moved on that much since 1980. It's just a lot faster with more bits.

So everyone would be quicker to act and have longer legs.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:50 pm

All your Tron's are belong to us.

papalazeru

Postby Maui on Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:24 pm

I'll be there. It looks very promising. I'd like to see a remake. Reminds me of something I want to watch again, along with Electric Dreams.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fawst on Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:32 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Fawst wrote:This is such an easy story to do it HURTS. Finn is stuck in a non-networked legacy system, they need to get him out. There is your old-school looking Tron visuals. Then you do updated nice graphics in a new system. Look at the evolution of computer technology since back then. To NOT update the visuals would be ignoring reality entirely. At least, to me.

Although in reality, computer architecture hasn't moved on that much since 1980. It's just a lot faster with more bits.

So everyone would be quicker to act and have longer legs.

Fair enough, I think I just horribly buried my point about computer GRAPHICS, which is what I was focusing on. Considering I never really specifically SAID that's what I meant, well... my own fault :)

How crazy would it be for them to throw in a sequence where the system they are in in this Tron suddenly just vanishes. Everything goes dark, and whatever main character is like "WTF?" and it turns out the damn computer got turned off. Could be an interesting spiritual take on death and rebirth in that universe... I dunno, I'm rambling.
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:07 pm

Stark tries to install a new MCP, but Vista's patented User Access Protection won't let him.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby digideus on Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:03 pm

Fawst wrote:I think I just horribly buried my point about computer GRAPHICS, which is what I was focusing on.

For me, I have an issue about any new Tron because of the graphics. The Original TRON used a CRAY Supercomputer for the environment, Tanks, Light Cycles, Recognisers, solar sailer and the MCP itself, but computer graphics were only part of the Tron imagry. Most of the film was made up of Stephen Listberger's backlit animation ideas, although I cant see that a new Tron will use that, simply because its cheaper to do it as CGI motion capture a-la Polar Express or the upcoming Justice League movie.

They also used Sid Mead and that french artist guy to do the visualisations of the world and designs of the vehicles.

The question is, does doing it using modern technology make it Listbergers project or just someone else re-making Tron with modern computer effects, and him on for fan accessability?
digideus
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby monorail77 on Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:07 pm

I hope they have helicopters with red neon on the rotors. Why hasn't this caught on in general? Its just so cool.
"All we have is language; that's the one tool that enables us to grasp hold of our lives and transcend our fate by understanding it."
-Harlan Ellison

monorail77
AIRWOLF

Postby bamf on Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:17 pm

Couldn't it easily go to camp with D.R.M. type nannies telling a file/program who it could talk to? I would rather it take place in its time then this future.
bamf
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby Fawst on Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:32 pm

Oh man, all the different shit that could be thrown into a new Tron based on today's real-world computers would just be sick.

And like I said before, we can get that old-school Tron visual by them entering the same system as before. It'd be nice if they came up with some new mind blowing visual for the 2.0 aspect, or whatever you want to call it.

Cuz really, I don't want to just see modern graphics tech on display, that will NOT wow me. Even kids wouldn't be wowed by it today, because of what you said, Polar Express. It's old hat now.

Tron wowed me as a kid.

And what a stupid kid I was, I thought that helicopter was part of the Tron world! I was a walking example of "doesn't get it."
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

TR2N

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:27 pm

Tron 2 set for 2011.
source : front page
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:38 pm

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH!

But, it's so far away. :(

Boo.

I don't see how can go wrong with this one. OK maybe I can but the story can be so much better than the original.

I still want to see men in neon.

Maybe I'm Dumbledore? Meh! Bring on the neon men.

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:01 pm

And in 3D!!?!

3D makes any film better!!
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:30 pm

Fried Gold wrote:And in 3D!!?!

Very true.

Remember the greats, Jaws 3 and Freddy 6.

Without the 3D the films lose depth and impact from being the subtle masterpieces in storytelling, direction and cinematography and at the same time being on the cuff on new and pushing new cinema technology.

Sorry, wrong meeting. I meant pieces of shit

papalazeru

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:56 pm

papalazeru wrote:

Very true.

Without the 3D the films lose depth and impact from being the subtle masterpieces in storytelling, direction and cinematography and at the same time being on the cuff on new and pushing new cinema technology.

Not to mention Friday the 13th Part 3...Amityville Part 3....I'm sensing a pattern here.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:59 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

Very true.

Not to mention Friday the 13th Part 3...Amityville Part 3....I'm sensing a pattern here.

Don't forget about Spy Kids 3.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:38 pm

"Dial M for a the Murder", she was inna the 3D, iffa any of a you putzes are a lucky enough a to ever catch a the 3D showing of a the thing, eh?

Anna the Creature of a the Black Lagoon, she was a the something back inna the day, no? First picture to use a the unna'derwater 3-dimensional photography, eh? Holy crappa that was a something seeing that inna the theaters, eh? Anna it spawn a the 3D sequel, as a well, alla'beit it was a the last 3D film of a the "Golden Age", no?

Anna iffa you gotta the talented art director, then a you can a really make a the good use of a the 3D effects without alla the, how you say? "grand-a-standing" or a the "cracker-jacking", no? Like a the Billy Menzies, back inna the day... holy crappa that putz, he did a some amazing work onna "The Maze" which make a the wonderful use of a the sets anna camera angles to exploit a the immersive nature of a the medium, without alla the "inna your face" effects, eh? Menzies, he also directed a the original "Inna'vaders From a the Mars" anna his a framing techniques, they are onna full display there, no? That film, she looks a 3D even a though he dinna even a shoot it inna the 3D, eh?

It's a like anything... you getta the write putzes inna'volved anna the 3D, she becomes a the natural extension (hehehehe, the pun, she was a not inna'tended) of a the project inna'stead of a the gimmick to get a the putzes inna the seats, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Maui on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:35 pm

Fawst wrote:Tron wowed me as a kid.

Me too. There were definitely some great computer flicks in the 80s. Tron, Electric dreams, just to name a few.

3D sounds great. I just watched this the other night. Looking forward to some 3D lightbike races.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3ODe9mqoDE
Maui
WoWie

Postby buster00 on Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:57 am

Pleadin' Da FiF!
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

TR2N

Postby King Of Nowhere on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:18 pm

http://www.aintitcool.com/talkback_display/37618?q=node/37618

Quint wrote:Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. Holy shit! TRON 2!

I’m probably going to short change Dwayne Johnson and Carla Gugino here who were the majority of the Disney Panel, but HOLY SHIT! At the end they showed 3 minutes from TRON 2 which has been whispered about, but wait until you get a load of this:

The footage started with a computer generated guy peeking around a corner. He had light blue glowing lines on him. As the dude peeked around the corner a sound can be heard, a low rumble.

Keep in mind they didn’t announce what this was, just that it was a surprise presentation.

The guy hears the sound, getting louder, and he runs down the corridor, black obsidian walls. A vehicle speeds behind him and he jumps in the air, throwing a stick out in front of him and suddenly we’re underneath him as he jumps for it in mid-air, the lightcycle forming around him. He hits the ground running and the lightcycles battle.

They aren’t turning at hard angles anymore, the movement more fluid. The cycles slam into each other, knocking each other around like in a car chase, but the yellow and blue lines don’t touch in any of this.

The yellow cycle runs up on another level with a transparent floor, keeping an eye on the blue below. They get back on the same level and more close calls.

The guy in the blue cycle sees the crack in the wall. THE FISSURE that we know and love. The blue cycle races toward it, barely in the lead and makes the crack, the yellow cycle skidding to a stop within inches of the wall.

After a beat the yellow cycle speeds off. Then we’re with the POV of the blue cycle taking the turns in the fissure slowly and carefully. Then we see the yellow cycle racing along the top of the canyon, looking down at the blue cycle, then speeding ahead.

The blue cycle exits the other side and heads down a light-outlined corridor in the giant open space, seemingly alone. Out of nowhere, the yellow cycle puts on a booster burst of speed and cuts the blue cycle off.

The blue cycle crashes into the yellow line, shattering the vehicle and sending the blue rider flying through the air and crashing hard to the ground, sliding to the edge of a precipice, but he catches himself at the last minute, pulling his body back over the lip.

Then the most shocking moment of the trailer. We cut out of CG and into live action. A grey-haired and bearded Kevin Flynn… Jeff Mutha-fuckin’ Bridges… is sitting in a stark white room, seemingly meditating. His eyes open and he stands, walking to a large rectangular window and we see he’s overlooking the arena. He looks down at the yellow and blue rider.

The blue rider is defeated on the ground and the yellow rider walks toward him. We can see the blue rider’s face, a younger guy. The yellow rider’s face is obscured by a black faceplate. The yellow rider reaches back and grabs his disc from his back.

The blue rider looks scared and says, “Hey! It’s only a game!” The yellow rider’s visor lights up and it’s young Flynn’s face, 1982 Jeff Bridges. He says, “Not anymore,” and then goes for the kill. As he does the screen cuts to black and the title comes up: TR2N.

So sweet!!!

The CG looked like a really high end computer game, almost photo-realistic, but the lightcycle chase was completely nostalgic, hitting all the right notes. It's as advanced as you'd expect jumping from 1982 games to 2008 games... And Flynn's a bad guy! Holy shit!
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Re: TR2N

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:44 pm

There was Tron 2.0 movie idea in the works a few years back, but it ended up being turned into a PC game...which ended up dying a quick death - it's web marketing campaign was more interesting that the actual game.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:46 pm

Apparently in the talkbacks, this one comes with cheese

papalazeru

Postby Nordling on Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:13 pm

For me, this is the most exciting film news to come along in years.

And JEFF BRIDGES returns as Flynn!

Holy shit. I'm honestly geeked the fuck out here.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Bayouwolf on Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:23 pm

Nordling wrote:For me, this is the most exciting film news to come along in years.

Wonder if he's gonna keep the evil twin stash he was sporting in Iron Man...
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:39 am

Bayou wrote:
Nordling wrote:For me, this is the most exciting film news to come along in years.

Wonder if he's gonna keep the evil twin stash he was sporting in Iron Man...

King Of Nowhere wrote:
Quint wrote:Then the most shocking moment of the trailer. We cut out of CG and into live action. A grey-haired and bearded Kevin Flynn… Jeff Mutha-fuckin’ Bridges… is sitting in a stark white room, seemingly meditating. His eyes open and he stands, walking to a large rectangular window and we see he’s overlooking the arena. He looks down at the yellow and blue rider.

"GREETINGS PROGRAMS"

Some details have emerged on that TRON 2 footage screened at Comic-Con!
Quint wrote:But here's what I found out via a source I cannot name, but knew a whole lot about the footage shown, including details that I haven't seen reported yet, so I'm inclined to believe him/it/her:

- The 3 minutes is a promo, not from the film itself.

- It was directed by Joe Kosinski, who is also slated to direct the feature. If you own an Xbox 360 you probably know his work with his awesome CG animated commercials for GEARS OF WAR and HALO 3.

- The footage was originally done to be shown in stereoscopic 3-D, but the right eye wasn't finished in time, so it screened in 2-D.

- The Evil Flynn from the piece, the badass 1982 Flynn that takes a disc to that poor blue bastard, is apparently Flynn's program from the original, Clu, not Flynn himself.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Tron: The Remakequel!

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:39 pm

As this new film is both Disney and, it appears, kinda sorta animated....I wonder if this will come into the domain of John Lasseter at all?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:29 pm

Fried Gold wrote:As this new film is both Disney and, it appears, kinda sorta animated....I wonder if this will come into the domain of John Lasseter at all?

Uhhh since Lasseter is now in charge of all aspects of Disney animation I think that's quite the safe bet. If you are wondering if PIXAR will be doing the animation that remains to be seen.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:42 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:As this new film is both Disney and, it appears, kinda sorta animated....I wonder if this will come into the domain of John Lasseter at all?

Uhhh since Lasseter is now in charge of all aspects of Disney animation I think that's quite the safe bet. If you are wondering if PIXAR will be doing the animation that remains to be seen.

I wasn't really thinking Pixar as such, more just than animation at Disney is reportedly cracking on well under Lasseter now....

...imagine that - PIxar's TRON.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:44 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:

I wasn't really thinking Pixar as such, more just than animation at Disney is reportedly cracking on well under Lasseter now....

...imagine that - PIxar's TRON.

Since they have recently dabbled with live footage in Wall-E and there have been those swirling rumors about the San Fran quake film for a while I wouldn't be surprised if they took it on.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

TR2N

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:18 pm

io9 has posted the Tr2n promo here:
http://io9.com/5029516/tr2n-rips-your-eyeballs-and-light-cycles-off
It's not the best looking video on the web.

http://tron-2-trailer.blogspot.com/

From FilmStalker:
http://www.filmstalker.co.uk/archives/2008/07/tr2n_tron_2_trailer_online.html
Update: Thanks to Steve we have a stabilised and zoomed in version of the trailer. Thanks for your hard work there, he's done a great job so that it now is completely full frame.

The only problem is that because of the original being zoomed out the first few seconds are pixelated, and then the camera's at an odd angle and the corner is chopped off. However you really do see the action much better. Man this looks good, I love it when the light cycle appears or the disc lights up in his hand.

Last edited by TheButcher on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:47 pm

You'd think if they go to trouble of sneaking in a camcorder, they'd actually try and point it at the screen properly....

If Disney are seriously going ahead with this, they need to get that teaser onto the innernetting...it looks like pretty much everyone will be sold just from that.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:30 pm

It looks amazing! So dynamic and perfectly vintage. Nostalgic all the way. Now I'll have to watch the Tron dvd asap this week.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby Rolf van der Berg on Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:44 pm

I can not wait to see a proper HD quality copy of that trailer. Looks very very good, even if no movie were to be made.
Rolf van der Berg
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby buster00 on Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:00 pm

Is Wendy Carlos still working? Can they bring her back to compose the score?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:01 am

So how do you pronounce that title? Trtwon?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:04 am

Ribbons wrote:So how do you pronounce that title? Trtwon?

How do you pronounce Se7en?
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:18 am

Sesevenen!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby havocSchultz on Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:06 am

Ribbons wrote:Sesevenen!