Image Comics Return to the Big Screen

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Image Comics Return to the Big Screen

Postby Julio Alejandro on Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:14 am

Now, we all know what a piece of crap Spawn was, but there are 3 Image properties that I think can be the savior of them being on the big screen, as well as save the company itself, excluding of course, a reboot of Spawn, these are the 3 that if done right could be great films and I'll tell you how.

*Deathblow: A dying soldier on a mission to kill someone else while others are trailing him to do the same. Could make a thrilling, bloody, explosive movie, although the only casting I could come up with is Liam Neeson as Lynch.

*The Savage Dragon: This would make a great action/comedy with great lines, once again, alot of action, and alot of absurdity. Dwayne Johnson in the lead role?

*The Maxx: This would likely be my favorite because...it's my favorite Image comic. The world that Kieth & Messner-Loebs have created for the books would make for some amazing visuals, and if they could create The Maxx detail-for-detail like his comic book likeness (I don't think they should change him at all.), that would be an amazing feat, add characters like Mr. Gone (John Malkovich), Julie (Brittany Murphy), and CG characters like the Isz and Ret'Qark'n, you're talking about a movie that could be groundbreaking.
Julio Alejandro
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Re: Image Comics Return to the Big Screen

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:24 am

They can start by releasing The Maxx MTV series on DVD.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Julio Alejandro on Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:25 am

That's what I've been waiting for.
Julio Alejandro
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

CASANOVA

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:48 pm

Matt Fraction's CASANOVA is coming to the big screen!
Mike Bruno wrote:Matt Fraction lands movie deals for 'Casanova' and 'Last of the Independents'

San Diego Comic-Con is nigh, and hipster comic book writer Matt Fraction is already enjoying the spoils of Hollywood's yearly bum-rush to embrace all things geektastic: He's just inked a deal with producer Rick Alexander (MGM's Adventures in the Land of Zametherea) and manager-producer Jeff Krelitz to turn two of his co-creations, Casanova and Last of the Independents, into movies. A major A-list actor is already mulling over the lead in Casanova, an adventure-caper about a thief-turned-spy, which Alexander promises will evolve into a "mega-budget, effects-intensive action spectacular." (He says he's aiming to unleash the "spectacular" during the Fourth of July weekend 2010.) This is merely the first of what the producers hope will be a Bond-type franchise. Casanova "[will] live on but be played by a different actor each time out," says Krelitz, who notes that the duo will hire a scriptwriter only after securing a star and director. As for the swaggering bank-heist thriller Independent? It already has a screenwriter -- that'd be newcomer Alex Litvak -- so producers are currently shopping for a director with hopes of an early 2009 shoot. -- By Nisha Gopalan
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

WAR HEROES

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:49 pm

From Millarworld.net: 'WAR HEROES' MOVIE UPDATE!, THE BIDDING WAR HAS BEGUN, MY FRIENDS

Mark MIllar wrote:
I was in London working (and hanging out with some MW buds) over the last couple of days, but War Heroes officially went out to the studios yesterday after a few weeks of informal chats. I woke up to find a cluster of emails from Martin Spencer, my agent at CAA, and my attorney Harris Miller.

The good news? Pretty much all the big guys in town are going in for this and things should really start moving in the next couple of days. Tony and I had a dream director in mind for the project and, weirdly, he was the first email, suggesting he directs if his production company gets their hands on the material. But three genuine heroes are already in the mix for this so I have a feeling we're going to end up in good hands.

After weeks of informal chats (we wanted to wait until issue two was actually in print and they had either script or full plot for the remaining issues) we're really going to MOVE now. It's going to be an exciting few days, I think. As ever, I'll keep you posted. But this is my last NEW Hollywood thing until the Spring. I've pretty much finished all my current commitments and want to get deep into Ultimate Avengers before I start up anything else.

MM

From THR.com: DeLuca pins medal on Millar's 'War Heroes'

'21' producer adapting comic book for Columbia
By Leslie Simmons and Borys Kit

Sept 26, 2008, 04:09 PM ET
Michael DeLuca is fighting the war on terrorism with the help of Mark Millar.

The producer ("21") is bringing Millar's latest comic, "War Heroes," to the big screen for Sony's Columbia Pictures.

The story centers on a U.S. military experimental program developed in light of dwindling enlistments and the expanding war on terrorism that gives ordinary soldiers superpowers. When a rogue group of the super-soldiers breaks off to form a criminal enterprise, one hero rises from their ranks to prevent catastrophic results.

No writer has been brought aboard yet. Millar is executive producing along with Zach Schiff-Abrams ("Domino"). Rachel O'Connor is overseeing for Columbia.

Outside of Marvel and DC titles, Millar's creator-owned comics have become one of the most sought-after materials for Hollywood. The Scot's first comic book series adapted for the big screen was "Wanted," which was released through Universal in June and stars Angelina Jolie and James McAvoy. The film has grossed $293 million at the boxoffice worldwide.

Another superhero-themed comic by Millar, "Kick Ass," is in production with Aaron Johnson, Nicolas Cage and Christopher Mintz-Plasse starring. Marv Films and Plan B. Entertainment are producing.

DeLuca's recently wrapped projects include "Brothers," starring Jake Gyllenhaal, Tobey Maguire and Natalie Portman.

Millar is repped by CAA.

Sony, DeLuca gear up for 'War'

Mark Millar' wrote:Am just in from my nephew's 21st and a bit smashed, but good news. At 7.51 this evening I got a phone call at the party from my agent Martin Spencer and my attorney Harris Miller was also on the line. This meant it was serious. But good news: Sony came in above all others in the bidding war for War Heroes and Mike Deluca, a producer I like very much, got the gig.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...cb4380068c80812

This is great because Mike is literally one of the biggest comic fans I have ever spoken to and was very, very hungry for the project. He's read all the upcoming scripts and plots, loves where it's heading and is going to stay very faithful. So really, Tony and I could not be happier and this bloody insane run of good luck (Wanted, Chosen, Kick-Ass, Wanted 2 and now War Heroes) just seems to continuing. I don't know what I did in a past life to deserve all this, but it's both great and appreciated. Thanks to everyone who supported the book and now, if you don't mind, I'm about to either throw up or pass out with alcohol poisoning. It's not every day your nephew/ godson turns 21 and this was a nice extra way of celebrating.

Tony and I will, of course, split everything 50/50 on EVERYTHING like all the Millarworld deals. We're both executive producers too and excited about the high-end writers already being discussed. This is great, great news. Couldn't be happier. I wonder who we'll get to direct. Any ideas?

More as it happens.

MM
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Hiding in Time

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:29 pm

From Variety: WB, Dan Lin go 'Hiding in Time' - Beau Thorne to adapt Christopher Long comic

MARC GRASER wrote:Warner Bros. has picked up the Image Shadowline comicbook series "Hiding in Time" for Dan Lin to produce.

Beau Thorne, who penned Fox's adaptation of the vidgame "Max Payne," will tackle the Christopher Long-created property, in which the Witness Protection Program uses time travel to relocate high-profile witnesses. When the program is compromised, a government scientist must travel back through the greatest moments in history to help a master thief rescue his old crew from the assassins sent back by their former employer.

Lin Pictures will produce the pic, with Jon Silk, who brought the project into the shingle, serving as co-producer.

Ray Miller at Archetype will serve as a co-producer, while the company's David Server will associate produce.

Lin is exec producing "Terminator Salvation," the Robert Rodriguez-directed "Shorts" and the Ricky Gervais comedy "This Side of the Truth." He's also producing superhero pic "Justice League" for WB and Richard Kelly-directed Cameron Diaz thriller "The Box."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

YOUNGBLOOD

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:11 am

Leckomaniac wrote:Dear god.

Are any of us ready? It appears that doesn't matter.

Brett Ratner to make a YOUNGBLOOD film

That would be ROB FUCKING LIEFELD's YOUNGBLOOD. Start building those fallout shelters now, folks.

From Variety:
ALI JAAFAR wrote:Both projects are being fast-tracked, although no decision has been made on whether they will eventually land at Paramount.

Yes! I can't wait to see this.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: YOUNGBLOOD

Postby bastard_robo on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:55 am

TheButcher wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Dear god.

Are any of us ready? It appears that doesn't matter.

Brett Ratner to make a YOUNGBLOOD film

That would be ROB FUCKING LIEFELD's YOUNGBLOOD. Start building those fallout shelters now, folks.

From Variety:
ALI JAAFAR wrote:Both projects are being fast-tracked, although no decision has been made on whether they will eventually land at Paramount.

Yes! I can't wait to see this.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!!!!!!!

BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Rob Liefeld Talks 'Youngblood' Movie & Brett Ratner

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:56 am

From Newsarama:
Michael Doan wrote:According to the creator/artist/sometimes-publisher and now Hollywood producer, writers have been hired and are busy at work on the screenplay, and that Reliance is prepared to budget the film up to $150 million dollars, but there is also a chance that a studio could be added to the mix to co-finance later down the line "after all the development has been done."

Liefeld told us Reliance and Ratner want to get the project off the ground "asap", and mentioned a 2012 release date as "optimal".

Liefeld also told us that Ratner's Conan project (which the Hollywood Reporter reported last fall he was an "negotiations" to direct) is behind Youngblood in the director's pecking order and a deal for that other film was not even finalized as of a few weeks ago.

As for the genesis of this deal, Liefeld explained Ratner came to the project armed with Reliance.

"Brett's films have made over $1 billion dollars domestically. He seeks more creative control over his movies and Reliance provides him that option. They have a gajillion dollars to finance movies and have sought out partners to make movies with. A number of studios have sought out Brett as a director, as well as Youngblood with Brett. He is in high, high demand."

As to Liefeld's personal involvement?

"I've been intimately involved from the beginning," he explained. "My pitch was derived from a Youngblood screenplay I wrote. Last winter we got the ball rolling, this spring we auditioned writers, and this summer we hammered out the script. I haven't been able to speak about this for months but we've been moving this movie along for the last 12 months. As a producer on the film, Brett has asked me to stay very involved and we talk about Youngblood all the time."

And what's that dynamic like? After all, through appearances on show's like HBO's Hollywood-insidey series Entourage, Ratner has cultivated an image as something of a Hollywood "player"...

"I love Brett. He's a blast," said Liefeld. "He's a force of nature, extremely charismatic and smart.

"Yes, he's obviously very successful and enjoying his success but not at the expense of his craft. He has the most high tech film library I've eve seen. He has a gigantic like 100 inch HD screen that also serves as a hard drive for thousands of films that he can call up in a flash. It's stunning. We talk films all the time; he loves movies and the language of film. He's very young and has only been doing this for a decade, and he is eager to keep expanding his success in all platforms - film, TV, music, and games."

So then why Youngblood, which he described to Variety as a "personal passion project"?

"He digs the take," was the simple answer. "A billion dollar-funded strike force with unlimited resources functioning as super-cops in an ultra-violent world and the media covering their every move told from the point of view of their latest and most reluctant recruit, Shaft. What's not to love? This movie hasn't been told onscreen yet. The screenwriters took the story and are doing great work under Brett's direction so far."

Liefeld said the film will provide unique visual opportunities for Ratner, differentiating it from other genre films, describing ,"Camera housings on weapons, guns, bows, entire tactical forces with satellite camera feeds and angles everywhere guiding the team, it's going to be wild.

"All of Brett's films look and are shot differently. Rush Hour doesn't look or feel anything like Red Dragon, which looks and feels different from X-3, which he had very little if any input on," [editor's note: Ratner took over that in-late development project when original director Matthew Vaughn exited late]. "But he is really involved in creating Youngblood's world. I told him it was tonally closest to Verhooven's original Robocop, and we jumped from there."

Since the subject cam up, we asked Liefeld what he thought of X-Men: The Last Stand?

"I've made no bones about it, dating back to opening weekend over on my message boards," he replied. "I stated I loved it back then, I love it now. I thought the direction was outstanding especially given that Brett signed on in order to salvage the film and make the date for Fox after they removed Matthew Vaughn. The script was long finished and locked when they added Brett who was able to pull it all together wonderfully. Visually it's easily my favorite of the X-Men films."

Getting back to Youngblood, its creator said this is actually the first time the property has been in development for the big screen.

"I never attempted to sell it because I hadn't found the right partner," he said. "Paramount tried to buy it in the early 90's. The guys who do all the Tom Clancy films wanted to make it, Mace Neufeld Productions, but after meeting with them and realizing that all anyone equated comic book films with were the [Tim] Burton Batman films, I took a pass.

"Marvel more than anyone has taught the industry how to respect, manage, and make powerful comic book films. Marvel's success has blazed the trail through Hollywood and the fact that they are taking back their properties from the majors, like Hulk and Luke Cage, and making their own films now is significant.

"The time was right to go forward with this for the first time. I've been waiting and protecting this property for a long time."

Because he described the project as being in development for such a long time, when asked he acknowledged the recent reimagining of the original concept by writer Joe Casey for the Youngblood Hardcover collection and subsequent new Image series is playing just a small role in the property's big-screen development.

"I'd love to give the current team credit for sparking interest, but we were in negotiations way before the new series shipped," he answered. "It certainly has provided some great new material that we may use for the film. The Youngblood movie is a little darker and harsher, and much bigger in scope with the original cast. Cybernet, the cybernetic terror organization is the key antagonist in the film."

Knowing a good segue when we hear it, Liefeld reiterated the story is told from the point-of-view of Jeff Terrell – a.k.a. Shaft, and the current script also features Hard, Chapel, Twilight, Sentinel, Big Brother, Psilence, Link, Vogue, and more.

"Youngblood is set in the world that is right around the corner," Liefeld described in his best Hollywood "pitch"-speak. "Think Robocop. Hi-tech, fast moving, an elite strike force has been formed to combat heightened crime driven by designer genetic drugs and technology. The Youngblood team is the best of the best, equipped with the best technology and tactical support, their profile worldwide has skyrocketed and they are a global phenomenon. Politics and bureaucrats stand in the way of the team's mission to thwart Cybernet a program with ties to Youngblood's origins."

"Other than that, he concluded, "I can't say anything."

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:34 am

God I hate that guy.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:38 am

I think Im some what giddy over the idea of this film now.......
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

'American Jesus'

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:24 pm

From THR.com: Comic 'American Jesus' eyed for film - Helmer Matthew Vaughn in talks with creator Mark Millar
Borys Kit wrote:Fresh off their collaboration on "Kick-Ass," filmmaker Matthew Vaughn and comics creator Mark Millar are in talks to reteam for another comic-book adaptation.

Vaughn is eyeing Millar's "American Jesus" as his next directing vehicle, which would be produced by Vaughn and his Marv Films partner Kris Thykier and financed independently in the same manner as "Kick-Ass."

The story centers on the return of Christ in the modern world, leading to a final confrontation with the Antichrist in a bid to save humanity.

The book, made with artist Peter Gross, originally appeared as a three-issue miniseries in 2006 with the title "Chosen." When Millar, one of the top writers in the comics field, decided to continue the story as a trilogy of miniseries, the overarching title became "American Jesus." The second installment is subtitled "The Resurrection" and is due out in the fall.

A summer start is being posited, though Vaughn also is developing another project with Millar, a still-in-the-works actioner. Millar, while also writing such titles as "Wolverine" and "Ultimate X-Men," has written creator-owned comics that have caught Hollywood's fancy, including last year's summer hit "Wanted." He also has "War Heroes" set up at Columbia.

"Kick-Ass," which adapts Millar's miniseries about a 16-year-old who decides to become a superhero, stars Nicolas Cage, Christopher Mintz-Plasse and Aaron Johnson; the movie is in postproduction. Vaughn made the film outside the studio system because of its depiction of teens and children in ultraviolent situations.

"Jesus," with its hot-button Christ-in-sneakers angle, seems like a candidate to benefit similarly from less interference.

Vaughn is repped by Endeavor and Brillstein Entertainment Partners; Millar is repped by CAA and Harris Miller.

Marv Films, which is in production on "The Debt," starring Helen Mirren, had no comment.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

WANTED 2

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:39 pm

From CinemaBlend:
Wanted Becoming A Trilogy:
Wanted spoilers!
One of our best sources dropped me a note this morning with details on where Wanted is headed, as the rush to turn it into a franchise begins. Two more sequels, not just one are already being planned out, and from what we’ve been told both James McAvoy and Terrence Stamp are an absolute lock to be back. That’s no surprise really, but what is a surprise is that we’re hearing Angelina Jolie may be back as well. And now we get into spoiler territory, so if you haven’t seen the first film stop reading now.
For the sequels their idea is to take Wanted international, and have James McAvoy’s Wesley character fighting Fraternity cells all over the world. It seems Sloane isn’t the only Fraternity leader who has been ignoring the instructions of fate, it’s something that’s been happening for centuries, and that means a lot of Sloane’s peers are now pretty pissed off at Wesley. Also in the mix is the uncovering the secret past of Wesley’s father, some of which may lead to the revelation that Wesley’s family has been a part of the fraternity for generations. Our scooper speculates, “Could this be the next Jason Bourne series?” If what our sources are hearing is true, that does seem to be the direction Universal Pictures is headed.

Mark Millar wrote:Could Mister Rictus be the head of an overseas Fraternity? Perhaps...

These six issues are the gift that keeps on giving, as JG said the other day

MM

From MTV:

Chris Morgan Writing Screenplay For ‘Wanted 2,’ Hints At Sequel Going ‘Global’

Rick Marshall wrote:When “Wanted” screenwriter Chris Morgan first helped bring to life the ultra-violent story about a world where supervillains had kicked out the good guys, he had some pretty impressive source material in Mark Millar and J.G. Jones’ critically praised graphic novel. While there won’t be the same ready-made reference for “Wanted 2,” the writer told MTV that shouldn’t be cause for concern among fans. And he should know, since he’s the one writing it.

“Yes, I will be writing it,” confirmed Morgan. “I’m actually leaving this conversation with you to go to a meeting with the director, Timur [Bekmambetov], and we’re talking about the story.”

According to Morgan, Universal Pictures is in the final stages of negotiating a deal with Millar for a sequel to the June 2008 film, which was a box-office success despite diverging significantly from the story in the graphic novel. Millar hasn’t given any indication that he’ll be penning a print follow-up to “Wanted,” but as with other projects adapted from his work, the comic book writer is expected to take an active role in shaping the over-arching story.

“As far as I know, the studio is finishing their deal with Mark [Millar], and then we’re all going to get together and collaborate,” said Morgan, a longtime comics fan. “And that’s something I’m very excited about.”

As for the plot of the second film, Morgan acknowledged the difficulty of scripting the sequel to a film in which most of the supporting cast is, well… dead. While Terence Stamp has teased that his character, Pekwarsky, will be making a return in “Wanted 2,” one of the only other characters to survive the first film was the film’s lead, Wesley Gibson (played by James McCavoy).

“That is the challenge here,” laughed Morgan, “but the point is to continue the journey that Wes started in the first film. Wherever he ended up at the end of the film, now it’s time to move him forward.”

“There’s a natural journey that Wes needs to take,” continued Morgan, adding that the sequel “is going to be opened up to be more global.”

However, Morgan was quick to add that the film is very much in the early stages of story development at this point, “so anything I tell you about is likely to change.”

‘Pooh’ Writer Evan Spiliotopoulos To Script ‘Wanted 2’
Josh Wigler wrote:When “Wanted” proved to be a surprising financial success, it was clear that moviegoers wanted more. But with Mark Millar and J.G. Jones’ graphic novel limited in issues, it’s hard to identify source material that could be mined for a sequel. But, as we learned from “Wanted” screenwriter Chris Morgan last year, that wasn’t going to hinder a return to the story’s supervillain-filled world.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Evan Spiliotopoulos, co-writer of “Pooh’s Heffalump Movie,” has been pegged as the screenwriter for “Wanted 2.” The sequel’s script stems from a story idea by Morgan, previously tapped to be penning the sequel.

Despite writing some decidedly kid-friendly fare — including sequels to “The Lion King” and “The Little Mermaid” — Spiliotopoulos is no stranger to the comic book world. He recently adapted Dave Roman’s graphic novel “Agnes Quill: An Anthology of Mystery,” which Thor Freudenthal will direct for Paramount Pictures.

And don’t forget that Winnie the Pooh himself has risen above his childish roots in the past — just pick up a copy of “Kingdom Hearts,” the Square-Enix video game that features the cuddly bear and other Disney characters in action-adventure scenarios.

Even in light of Spiliotopoulos’ history with children’s films, the screenwriter’s biggest challenge will be developing fresh content for “Wanted 2.” The original movie took significant departures from the graphic novel, including a focus on realistic assassins as opposed to super-powered ones. Perhaps that’s a topic that can be explored in a sequel.

Another issue that makes “Wanted 2″ a hard pill to swallow is the fate of Angelina Jolie’s character in the first film. While fans are now familiar with the franchise, is leading man James McAvoy recognizable enough to carry the film without the assistance of Jolie? That’s assuming that McAvoy, or any of the original actors, return for the sequel — but given the ending of “Wanted,” Jolie’s presence in a second film is rather unlikely.

Jay A. Fernandez wrote:If anyone could bend a flying bullet, it's Pooh.

Evan Spiliotopoulos, co-writer of "Pooh's Heffalump Movie" and its DVD Halloween spinoff, has been hired to write Universal's action sequel "Wanted 2," based on a story by Chris Morgan. Like the original 2008 film, the in-development sequel is based on the comic series created by Mark Millar and J.G. Jones.

Marc E. Platt and Jim Lemley are producing with Timur Bekmambetov, who directed the first film and is attached to helm the sequel. Universal production exec Jeff Kirschenbaum will oversee the project for the studio.

Morgan co-wrote the first film with Michael Brandt and Derek Haas. "Wanted," which starred Angelina Jolie and James McAvoy, grossed $339 million worldwide.

Spiliotopoulos, repped by UTA and attorney Sean Marks, most recently adapted the Dave Roman graphic novel "Agnes Quill: An Anthology of Mystery" for Thor Freudenthal to direct at Paramount. He also has "The Last Call" in development at Universal.

source: THR
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Lions, Tigers and Bears

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:02 pm

From Variety:
TATIANA SIEGEL wrote:"Transformers" producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura is returning to the world of toys that come to life.

Di Bonaventura will produce "Lions, Tigers and Bears," based on a comicbook, for Paramount Pictures. Pitch, penned by Joey Aucoin, was bought preemptively by studio.

Story, which is told from the perspective of an adult reminiscing about his childhood, revolves around a group of stuffed animals that come to life at night.

Film would be live action but would call for considerable CG effects.

Di Bonaventura, whose shingle is based at Paramount, has three films in the can: "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen," "G.I. Joe" and the Eddie Murphy starrer "Imagine That."

Par's Nickelodeon Movies acquired Aucoin's spec "Unicorn" in 2007.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Wanted 2

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:05 am

From Super Hero Hype: Bekmambetov Prepares Wanted 2

Russian newsite RIA Novosti had a chance to talk to that country's biggest filmmaker Timur Bekmabetov recently, and he told them that he has started preparations on making the sequel to the 2008 summer hit Wanted and that they've found a way to bring Angelina Jolie's character back.

Talking about the tentatively-titled Wanted 2, Bekmambetov told them, "In July we will start preparation for the film. I think in the late autumn or winter shooting will be performed. The shooting will take place in America, India and Russia."

Besides Jolie's character, Fox, Bekmambetov hopes to bring back the character played by Kostya Khabenskiy, who also starred in Bekmambetov's breakout films Night Watch and Day Watch, as well as introducing new characters. The sequel reportedly has a $150 million budget, which is the biggest Hollywood production made by a Russian filmmaker, and Bekmambetov will once again have Russian crew involved in all aspects of production.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

SPAWN reboot

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:02 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SPAWN reboot

Postby so sorry on Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:42 am

That sounds worse that the first Spawn movie.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:12 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:56 pm

From Super Hero Hype:
McFarlane Starts Writing New Spawn Movie
"Spawn" creator Todd McFarlane has announced that he has officially begun writing the screenplay for a new movie based on the character.

"The story has been in my head for 7 or 8 years," McFarlane said. "The movie idea is neither a recap or continuation. It is a standalone story that will be R-rated. Creepy and scary."

He added that "the tone of this 'Spawn' movie will be for a more older audience. Like the film 'Departed.'"

In August of 1997, New Line released a Spawn movie that grossed $87.8 million worldwide. It starred Michael Jai White, John Leguizamo and Martin Sheen.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

WANTED 2

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:53 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: CASANOVA

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:04 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:05 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Crickets on Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:25 pm

Crickets
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:32 pm

Someone should explain to McFarlane that no one cares about Spawn anymore... and if I recall correctly the previous film adaptation sucked not because it was PG-13, but because it was an aberration from concept to execution... and no one would want to give a big budget to your Spawn movie, McFarlane, so it's convenient for you to say you wouldn't want a big budget.

I'll give McFarlane $50 to NOT make a Spawn movie.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby so sorry on Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Someone should explain to McFarlane that no one cares about Spawn anymore... and if I recall correctly the previous film adaptation sucked not because it was PG-13, but because it was an aberration from concept to execution... and no one would want to give a big budget to your Spawn movie, McFarlane, so it's convenient for you to say you wouldn't want a big budget.

I'll give McFarlane $50 to NOT make a Spawn movie.

I was reading a talkback a few weeks ago when some Earlier Spawn/McFarlane news came out. Man, this guy is HATED. With extreme prejudice!
My last hoorah with comics in the late 90s was the Spawn series, so it holds a small place in my heart. But that movie was atrocious, and the HBO series wasn't much better, so even a minor fan like myself would stay away at this point...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:06 pm

I was about 11-12 years old when Spawn came out... don't worry, I was suckered in like crazy to the McFarlane black hole. My allowance made it that I could only afford maybe two or three comics per week, and I was spending all of it on Image's books, notably Spawn. I am ashamed to look at those comics now, I still have them all... most of them worthless (in content, not necessarily commercial value... though I think most of them aren't worth any $$$ either, but who's counting?).
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

The Strange Adventures of H.P. Lovecraft

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:18 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

INVINCIBLE

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:57 pm

From Variety Mar. 1, 2005:

Feeling 'Invincible' - Par buys rights to Kirkman superhero comic
DAVE MCNARY wrote:Paramount Pictures has bought film rights to Robert Kirkman's teen-superhero comic "Invincible" and set up the potential franchise starter with Paramount-based Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Circle of Confusion.

Kirkman has been tapped to pen the story, based on the bestselling Image Comics series about the coming of age of teen Mark Grayson, son of the world's most powerful superhero.

It's the first screenplay for Kirkman, who recently signed an overall deal with Marvel and was nommed last year for an Eisner Award for best new series. The story will focus on the father/son dynamic during the time that the son, who appears to be a normal teen, begins to exhibit his father's powers.

Di Bonaventura and Circle of Confusion partner David Alpert will produce and Circle's Lawrence Mattis, Jason Lust and David Engel will exec produce.

Erik Howsam, Di Bonaventura's VP, brought the material into the company and will oversee the project for the shingle. Paramount VP of production Matt Jackson and creative exec Eben Davidson will shepherd for the studio.

Di Bonaventura is a producer on Warner's "Constantine" and Universal's "Doom," due out this summer. Circle of Confusion is producing "Magic Kingdom for Sale" and "Jinx" at Universal and "Awful End" at Warner Bros.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: WANTED 2

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:47 pm

From MTV:
James McAvoy Talks 'Wanted 2' And Angelina Jolie's Potential Return

Rick Marshall wrote:"I got a phone call from Timur on New Years Eve," McAvoy told MTV News. "I thought he was phoning to tell me what's happening with the film, but he said he'd get back to in a couple of weeks, and he should have some stuff."

However, before you get too excited about the potential sequel, McAvoy confessed that he's heard very little about it at this point. In fact, he hasn't read the script yet.

"I really know nothing," he said. "I don't really know what's going on. I haven't read a script or anything like that."

Asked for some thoughts on a potential second act for Jolie's character, Fox, McAvoy seemed a bit skeptical.

"I don't know how he can do that," he said. "I know we have a wax bath and all that, but... we'll wait and see."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:31 pm

Isn't WANTED a Top Cow book and not an IMAGE book?
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:13 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Isn't WANTED a Top Cow book and not an IMAGE book?

It's Top Cow/IMAGE.
http://weblogs.variety.com/bags_and_boards/Wanted.jpg
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:25 pm

Well I'll be damned.

My apologies, sir.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:38 pm

It's all good.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:09 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:18 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:04 am

Ha!!! Eat it, Millar!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:58 pm

From STV:
Mark Millar: Wanted 2 will go ahead without Angelina Jolie
Michael MacLennan wrote:Video exclusive: Wanted creator Mark Millar has told STV that a sequel to the blockbuster movie WILL go ahead this year despite lead actress Angelina Jolie pulling out of her role.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:13 pm

Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Elephantmen

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:53 am

Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:59 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Elephantmen

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:53 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Wed May 12, 2010 10:44 pm

But instead he'll do what HE did with X-Men.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu May 13, 2010 2:52 am

Maybe I can get Brett to buy my copy of Youngblood #1 since no one else will.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:55 am

KIRKMANARAMA: Which Other Books Should Go to TV or Movies?
It’s a big week for Robert Kirkman and the gang behind The Walking Dead; the debut of a television series based on the comic doesn’t happen very often. But for Kirkman, The Walking Dead isn’t the first to make the jump from comics to another medium, but it is notable for emerging from a creator-owned book.

In the ten years Robert Kirkman has been doing comics, he’s created over a dozen unique concepts with mainstream potential. A couple years back, MTV2 adapted the first couple issues of Invincible into a motion comics/animation hybrid, and Spike TV did the same in 2008 with Battle Pope. But with Kirkman’s cache in the Hollywood world at its highest yet – with no sign of faltering – it gives a good opportunity for Newsarama to give a second look at some of the comics Robert has created over the years -- comments on some of them from artists Jason Howard, Ryan Ottley and the man himself, Robert Kirkman.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:40 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:36 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Lions, Tigers and Bears

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:58 pm

Paramount’s ‘Lions, Tigers and Bears’ Hires Writers (Heat Vision Exclusive)

TheButcher wrote:From Variety:
TATIANA SIEGEL wrote:"Transformers" producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura is returning to the world of toys that come to life.

Di Bonaventura will produce "Lions, Tigers and Bears," based on a comicbook, for Paramount Pictures. Pitch, penned by Joey Aucoin, was bought preemptively by studio.

Story, which is told from the perspective of an adult reminiscing about his childhood, revolves around a group of stuffed animals that come to life at night.

Film would be live action but would call for considerable CG effects.

Di Bonaventura, whose shingle is based at Paramount, has three films in the can: "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen," "G.I. Joe" and the Eddie Murphy starrer "Imagine That."

Par's Nickelodeon Movies acquired Aucoin's spec "Unicorn" in 2007.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:12 pm

'The Darkness' looks to move into the film light
EXCLUSIVE: The upcoming San Diego Comic-con usually yields its fair share of announcements and deals about properties being developed as entertainment vehicles. One of the more noteworthy nuggets going into this year's confab? New life for a movie based on the popular comic book property "The Darkness."

24 Frames has learned that Mandeville Films, the Walt Disney-affiliated producers behind last year's Oscar contender "The Fighter," has pacted with "Darkness" publisher Top Cow to develop a film based on the dark genre piece. A spokeswoman for Mandeville confirmed the deal.

The graphic novels center on a mobster named Jackie Estacado who discovers he has inherited a murderous power known as "the darkness" that allows him to summon creatures from another realm. Estacado must then find a way to tame the power while vanquishing his enemies within the crime family in which he operates.

Co-created by Top Cow founder Marc Silvestri in 1996, "The Darkness” has yielded more than 115 books and sold 25 million copies around the world, according to the company. It's also spawned a popular video game, with a sequel set to come out in October.

The deal marks the latest collaboration between the publisher and the producer. The two have previously partnered to develop movies based on Top Cow's "Alibi" and "Crosshair" titles. (Mandeville's David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman will produce, while the company's David Manpearl and Top Cow's Marc Silvestri and Matt Hawkins will executive produce.)

"The Darkness" has had several go-rounds in Hollywood. About seven years ago, genre specialists Dimension Films took a crack, and more recently "The Break-Up" producer Scott Stuber attempted to move it forward. But principals are hoping that the time is now right for a dark comic book piece, with anticipation building for Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight Rises" next year and Ryan Reynolds preparing to shoot "R.I.P.D.," an underworld revenge story based on a popular graphic novel.

The deal comes at a time of expansion for Mandeville. The company is set to bring out a remake of the iconic "The Muppets" in the fall as it diversifies beyond the mid-budget comedies of "The Proposal" and "Beverly Hills Chihuahua." Among other projects, it's also working on a new comedy from the writers of "The Hangover" and contemplating a follow-up to "The Fighter" based on Micky Ward's bouts with Arturo Gatti.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:19 pm

'Wanted 2' Targets Original Writers, Plot Details Emerge
Just as we were starting to move on, all of the sudden we're "Wanted" again.

A sequel to the 2008 action thriller from director Timur Bekmambetov is once again gearing up after several years of fits and starts. According to The Hollywood Reporter, original "Wanted" writers Derek Haas and Michael Brandt have been targeted to bring a sequel to life at Universal.

Haas and Brandt, who shared screenwriting credits with Chris Morgan on "Wanted," will reportedly shape the sequel based on work already accomplished by screenwriter Evan Spiliotopoulos, who was hired for "Wanted 2" in 2009.

Some very early plot details about "Wanted 2" have been released as well. The Wrap reached out to Haas and learned that the sequel would "take off after the events of what just happened … pick up Wesley a few years later and go back in for another round."

With Wesley still in the crosshairs, that means the "Wanted" gang will need to get James McAvoy back on board — or, in a considerably less ideal situation, recast the part. For his own part, McAvoy has said that he isn't even sure "Wanted 2" will ever happen, though this latest news certainly suggests that it will.

McAvoy or no McAvoy, one imagines that Wesley is just about the only returning player for "Wanted 2," as (spoiler alert?) nearly every single character met the business end of a bullet by the first film's conclusion. There were some previous rumblings about Angelina Jolie's character being resurrected for the sequel, but she shot those rumors down when speaking with us in 2009.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Next

Return to Movie News