Y: The Last Man

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Y: The Last Man

Postby doglips on Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:50 pm

Update ( kinda )

Goyer wrote:A few years ago, Superhero Hype! had a chance to talk to writer/director/producer David Goyer about the movie he was producing based on Brian K. Vaughn's post-apocalyptic comic book Y: The Last Man. In the time since then, he has directed a new suspense thriller called The Invisible and during that same time, Vaughn himself has taken a crack at the script, so Goyer updated Superhero Hype! on the status of that project: "I just was exchanging Emails with Brian Vaughn yesterday and saw his episode of 'Lost' last night. We're still pushing on that, we want to make it. The screenplay has a very unique voice that is obviously similar to the comic book, and I love that voice, but it's been harder to get traction in Hollywood with it. I really want to make the movie and make it with the voice that Brian has imbued his comic books with. I don't want to bastardize it in anyway."

We wondered whether Alfonso Cuaron's Children of Men might make it easier for Hollywood to understand Vaughn's vision, to which Goyer countered, "But 'Children of Men' didn't do well, and here's the bottom line: We need to find a director that loves the comic book. Once we do, it's fine. If you love the comic book, you get it immediately. I think that will translate to a mainstream audience, but we just need to find a director that already loves the comic book, so that's what we're trying to do."

Since the Vertigo comic book series will be done by then, we asked whether Vaughn would try to condense the entire series into a single movie. "No, the neat thing about his adaptation is that it's 70% the comic book, but he did a great job adapting it," Goyer replied. "He changed what needed to be changed. It still has that Brian K. Vaughn flavor, but it goes in a different direction, and the ending of the film in fact is different than the ending in the comic book will be."

So if it is going to happen, it's going to happen right - which is good news.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:08 pm

Gosling would be an awesome Yorrick.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:37 pm

And there is no justice in this world...

Shia LaBeouf wants to play Yorrick

The studios seem to love love love this guy. My bet is if he wants it, they'll make it and he'll get it.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:51 am

I always had a dream that I could direct a Y the las tman film, or even better and ongoing TV series!!!

BUt anyway, I always read Yorrick as a Jason Lee type character. He has a very similar wit and look in the books, but maybe Lee is a bit too old now. Dunno, maybe not. Gosling is good, as might be Ryan Reynolds...

But also had Lee in my head :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:57 am

silentbobafett wrote:I always had a dream that I could direct a Y the las tman film, or even better and ongoing TV series!!!

BUt anyway, I always read Yorrick as a Jason Lee type character. He has a very similar wit and look in the books, but maybe Lee is a bit too old now. Dunno, maybe not. Gosling is good, as might be Ryan Reynolds...

But also had Lee in my head :-)

Wait...you don't hear Shia in your head when you read the comics? :lol:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:58 am

No. I won't even joke about that.

Not after the therapy. They got Shia out of my head.... AND HE'S NOT GOING BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Evil Hobbit on Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:24 am

silentbobafett wrote:I always had a dream that I could direct a Y the las tman film, or even better and ongoing TV series!!!

We share similar dreams :wink:
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:43 am

I think the idea lends itself to TV better don't you? HBO style budgets... it would be sweet!

Perhaps we should show Mr Vaughn where the dream lies... :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Evil Hobbit on Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:04 pm

Yeah, definately TV shows. There are a lot of great comics out there that'd make some fantastic television shows. Stuff like 'Y' and 'Sandman' would make superb television, hbo production value. I like the idea of Gosling as Yorrick a lot. But Shia could perhaps do great stuff with the character as well. I always had someone like Nick Stahl in mind. A bit out of the ordinary kinda guy with a bite.
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:40 am

It his sense of humour that so fits with Jason Lee, and he does of course have the Jason Lee/Ryan Reynolds./Mark Gosling look going for him.

NIck Sthal would be a good choice, but is he maybe a bit TOO intense... like, I've never seen a lighter side tohim. And while Yorrick isn't a "light" character. He does try and put a brave face on things by using his jokes as a defense.

Which Jason Lee is expert at playing characters like that :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:43 am

Leckomaniac wrote:And there is no justice in this world...

The studios seem to love love love this guy. My bet is if he wants it, they'll make it and he'll get it.

And perhaps bringing LaBeouf one step closer to playing Yorrick, DJ Caruso is now on-board to direct Y: The Last Man.

I've never seen a DJ Caruso movie, so I don't know whether this is good news or bad news. But the Reporter also says that Carl Ellsworth (Disturbia) is writing the script, which probably means they scrapped Vaughan's screenplay.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:01 am

Ribbons wrote:

And perhaps bringing LaBeouf one step closer to playing Yorrick, DJ Caruso is now on-board to direct Y: The Last Man.

I've never seen a DJ Caruso movie, so I don't know whether this is good news or bad news. But the Reporter also says that Carl Ellsworth (Disturbia) is writing the script, which probably means they scrapped Vaughan's screenplay.

Looks like they are getting the Disturbia band back together so-to-speak...I would venture to guess that LaBeouf isn't far behind. I don't think he would be a terrible choice as Yorrick...just not my ideal. Still, Caruso and LaBeouf appear to be studio darlings at this point so the film has a solid chance of getting made with a decent budget and some considerable studio backing. Not sure how much I like the idea of them scrapping BKV's script, but I suppose thems the breaks.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:38 am

Leckomaniac wrote:
Ribbons wrote:

Looks like they are getting the Disturbia band back together so-to-speak...I would venture to guess that LaBeouf isn't far behind. I don't think he would be a terrible choice as Yorrick...just not my ideal. Still, Caruso and LaBeouf appear to be studio darlings at this point so the film has a solid chance of getting made with a decent budget and some considerable studio backing. Not sure how much I like the idea of them scrapping BKV's script, but I suppose thems the breaks.

Only in Hollywood could an actor love a comic-book property, express interest in working on a comic-book property, and never once wonder why they're not using a script that the creator came up with.

Its hardly Spider-Man here, the work of BKV is extremely auteur orientated towards him.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby doglips on Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:07 am

Deep down I know that this news really sucks, but I'll have to give benefit of the doubt as I've never seen any of Caruso's movies. Not using BKV's script - ALF.
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Fawst on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:04 am

I don't get all the BKV love, simply because I've never read anything by the man. I saw his episode of Lost, but I only know I've seen it because I've watched every episode twice. I have no idea which one he wrote, which means that he's a great writer, because every episode of Lost is great, and his episode obviously felt like any other episode :)

That being said, how on fucking EARTH can you not go with a screenplay for a property written by the man who created the property in the first place? Fucking douchemops, seriously. I've been interested in checking out Y, but I might have to wait til after this movie now. I don't want to read it, fall in love, then cry when the sub-par movie comes out (judging before it's made, bad Fawst, but you get my point).
Prince of the Land of Stench!
Fawst
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:35 pm

/film: DJ Caruso’s Y: The Last Man in Summer 2010?
“What happened is New Line is now part of Warner Bros, and Warner Bros is now really high on the project. And Carl Ellsworth will probably be handing in a script to Warner Bros/New Line [real soon].”

Caruso says that in a perfect world, the film will hit theaters in Summer 2010.

“I was talking to Shia [LaBeouf] about this yesterday when we were looping him, because he really wants to do it as well, I would like to prep this movie in October, and start shooting it by January. Warner Bros keeps saying ‘We need movies for 2010′ I’m like ‘We’re the movie!’” said Caruso. “[Shia] wants to do it, I want to do it. I think we just need to worry about him being exhausted, so I told him, if I prep it in the fall and we start in January, that’s a nice big break.”
Last edited by TheButcher on Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:13 pm

From UGO:
Alicia Keys in Y: The Last Man?

Alicia Keys as 355 in the Y: The Last Man movie? That’s one of producer JC Spink’s top choices.

I was lucky to bump into the producer of A History of Violence and Red Eye on the floor of San Diego Comic-Con. He owns the Brian K. Vaughn property and is working with director DJ Caruso on the film adaptation.

I asked him about the Shia LaBeouf rumor, to which he nodded and said, “We’re trying.”

Concerning the casting of Dr. Mann he said, “an unknown, I don’t want Lucy Liu.” For Agent 355 he said, “believe it or not, I think Alicia Keys would be fantastic. Or Zoe Saldana. By then Star Trek will be out and she’ll be huge. I don’t think Jada Pinkett Smith would be right but a lot of people like her. The truth is that it is up to DJ Caruso and the studio.....but mostly DJ. I just make suggestions. But please post this to your site to see if you can get people campaigning.”

Happy to oblige, sir.

He also said that if the movie is a big success it lends itself to a trilogy - but that the first film will be self-contained. He also hemmed and hawed if it will contain the full arc that is in the complete 60 issues. “Yes and no,” he said, “you’ll kind’ve have to see it to know what I mean.”

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Y: The Last Man

Postby TheButcher on Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:42 pm

From MTV: DJ Caruso Confirms Multiple ‘Y: The Last Man’ Films, Ponders Casting of Yorick, 355, Dr. Mann and… Agent 711?
In an interview with UGO, Caruso confirmed that adapting the 60-issue Vertigo series was indeed going to be a multiple-film project, and offered up some thoughts on where to the first chapter would conclude.

“… we get ourselves to Dr. Mann and you get, Yorick and Ampersand, in our screenplay, sort of get separated for a while, they get back together and Yorick ends up getting sick,” said Caruso, adding that Vaughan himself helped out with determining where to break the overall story in the films. “Basically where you really want to end is 355 and Yorick basically kind of come away at the end and everything is not Ok, and they still - having now found Dr. Mann maybe in the middle of Act II - they still have a long way to go and a lot to figure out.”

On the casting front, Caruso addressed rumors that musician Alicia Keys was considered for the role of Agent 355, saying she’s “definitely not a bad choice,” but that he’d “have to make sure that she can handle the acting part of it.” Caruso reiterated his desire to see actor Shia LaBeouf, who starred in Caruso’s films “Eagle Eye” and “Disturbia,” portray the main character of “Y: The Last Man,” Yorick. Finally, Caruso mentioned a need to sort out casting of Dr. Mann and - in a plot reveal of sorts - 355’s fellow agent, 711.

Oh, and Caruso said that a real monkey would indeed be cast as Yorick’s feces-flinging companion, Ampersand.

According to Caruso, the first draft of the film has been submitted to New Line/ Warner Bros. with the expectation that the film will be released in 2010.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby papalazeru on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:23 pm

I'm still waiting for Even Stevens: The movie.

Isn't anyone sick of him being announced in every film going?
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Project862006 on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:09 pm

my top casting :

Yorrick Brown - Shia LaBeouf(disturbia/eagle eye/transformers/indy 4)

Hero Brown - Michelle Monaghan(eagle Eye/gone baby gone)

Mod Edit: Because that photo was gigundous! Do you have any smaller ones? -Ribbons

Agent 355 - Zoe Saldana(vantage point/Star Trek/Avatar)

Congress Woman Jennifer Brown - Diane Lane
Project862006
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:21 pm

From MTV: EXCLUSIVE: Harrison Ford Talks Fifth Indiana Jones Film

Josh Horowitz wrote:Here’s how the conversation went:

MTV: Is a fifth Indiana Jones film inevitable?

Ford: I don’t know. If we come up with a good idea…

MTV: Is the ball in George’s court at this point?

Ford: It is. That’s the process. With some general input he goes off and searches for the MacGuffin and then stumbles into a story. And at some point we have a chance to take a look at and give some input.

MTV: And he hasn’t found the MacGuffin yet?

Ford: No, we’re still in the primary stages.

MTV: The end of the last film leaves your character in a very intriguing position. He has a wife and a kid. Can he still be that man of adventure with those commitments?

Ford: And he’s seen something. Remember those are the only witness to what he’s seen. That’s kind of interesting.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Zuh?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:09 pm

Wrong thread Butcher?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Snow Apple on Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:30 am

Ug, you guys are supposed to be the kind of guys that know all the latest information on such things and share it. I want to know if Shia is going to be in this movie or not!
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:43 pm

That was the rumor awhile ago.
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:39 pm

Ribbons wrote:Zuh?

Fievel wrote:Wrong thread Butcher?

Sorry about that.
I had a too much Patrón last night.
All of these threads look the same when your buzzed.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:53 pm

TheButcher wrote:All of these threads look the same when your buzzed.

Threadist.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Snow Apple on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:03 pm

In case you care Shia recently said he still would like to do this movie and I guess it is a possibility but he's doing his stuff and DJ is doing his.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:55 am

Snow Apple wrote:In case you care Shia recently said he still would like to do this movie and I guess it is a possibility but he's doing his stuff and DJ is doing his.

How can we take you seriously with the big pink font AND no source?!?@?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby instant_karma on Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:26 am

I just hope it is true. I think Shia would be pretty good in the role of Ampersand.

I only just got round to reading the final tpb recently. Very bittersweet ending to a great series. Well worth reading all the way through in one session. The pacing seems a lot tighter that way.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:29 pm

Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Snow Apple on Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:01 am

Sorry I didn't know you needed stuff to be in print for you to believe me. I only saw Shia saying it in a video that I would never put the time into searching for so I couldn't give you a legit source anyway.

You shouldn't take big pink letters seriously. Ever.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby DaleTremont on Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:10 pm

instant_karma wrote:I think Shia would be pretty good in the role of Ampersand.

lol. If he really wanted to stretch himself as an actor he could put himself in black face and drag and take on the role of 355.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:21 pm

Snow Apple wrote:Sorry I didn't know you needed stuff to be in print for you to believe me. I only saw Shia saying it in a video that I would never put the time into searching for so I couldn't give you a legit source anyway.

You shouldn't take big pink letters seriously. Ever.

I'm just bustin' your chops, Snow Apple.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Snow Apple on Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:38 pm

Thanks for telling me burl. I'm used to a bit of grrr in this place, it doesn't bother me, sometimes I even like it. But now I can put you on my "he means no harm" list.
Snow Apple
UNGRATEFUL BASTARD

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:31 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby lastactionzombie on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:48 am

They could make an amazing movie out of it...but please no Louis Leterrier.
lastactionzombie
GLIB

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:44 pm

Louis Leterrier Confirms 'Y: The Last Man' Interest, Prefers TV Series Treatment
Rick Marshall wrote:However, movie blog Latino Review reported an anonymously sourced rumor back in March that "Incredible Hulk" director Louis Leterrier was "circling" the "Y: The Last Man" adaptation, though the project was still plagued by internal differences at studio New Line Cinema regarding the proper approach to the film.

I spoke with Leterrier recently regarding the "Y; The Last Man" rumor, and along with receiving some confirmation of his dealings with the studio, he also offered up some thoughts on how he'd approach such an ambitious adaptation.

"I'm surprised that it hasn't gotten made yet," Leterrier told MTV News. "The first time I read it, I was in France and doing my little movies, and I didn't think I would ever have access to these kinds of movies. Midway through 'Clash of the Titans,' I was like, 'What's going on with 'Y The Last Man'?' I called one of the producers and asked what was going on, and he said it was available. I said, 'Let's go!'"

"DJ Caruso was supposed to do it with Shia Labeouf, and that sort of went on and was over, so I went in and said, 'Please, please let me have it!'" he explained.

As for where it stands now, Leterrier said the adaptation remains in murky waters, with no agreement over how best to translate the series to the screen, and no certainty whether it's meant for the big screen as one movie or several, or even as a television series.

"It's kind of stuck somewhere now," said the filmmaker. "I still want to do it. I'm passionate about it. But it's stuck. People don't know what to do with it. I'd love to do it, but I need people to finance it, and the people financing it don't know if it's a TV show a movie, or what it should be."

And though the studio doesn't seem quite certain how to handle "Y: the Last Man," the French filmmaker says he's already thought about it quite a bit — and has some ideas about how he thinks it should be presented.

"It could play as a movie, but it would be very interesting as a TV show," he said. "[It wouldn't work as] one large film, no. I'd love to do it as a TV show or a three-part series."

"I like the idea of a TV show," he continued. "You take time to get to know your characters. You can introduce a lot of characters. You don't need your three-action set pieces that you usually need for movies. Frankly, with HBO and Showtime and cable shows, the DVD box sets and all, you can have a product that doesn't make you feel like as soon as it's projected, it's thrown away. It's really a piece of art."

So, while "Y; The Last Man" is likely no closer to production than it was several months ago, that doesn't mean it's far from filmmakers' minds. What shape it will take when it's eventually adapted — if at all — has yet to be determined, though.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:46 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:06 pm

I believe Walking Dead has made a rather compelling case for this to be made as a television show. On AMC.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:36 pm

It's certainly not a movie, only a series of movies or a TV program.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:26 am

From THR:
New Line Sets Writers for 'Y: The Last Man' (Heat Vision Exclusive)
Matthew Federman and Stephen Scaia are in final negotiations to pen the big-screen adaptation of the Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra comic series.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:58 pm

So, who will play Yorick? I'm pulling for Michael Cera. :twisted:
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:06 pm

Listen, the bottom line is this should be a TV show. It just makes no sense to try and condense this story into a film. The best part of the book was the evil, twisted, gut-wrenching (to the audience, that is) cliffhangers that BKV loved to dole out. Someone get AMC or HBO on the line, and make this happen. But a Y film is absolutely not something I have an interest in seeing.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:36 pm

Maybe 100 years from now they can make a $300 million adaptation called Y.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:22 pm

Ribbons wrote:Maybe 100 years from now they can make a $300 million adaptation called Y.

Sold.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:16 pm

'Y: The Last Man' TV Series in the Works at FX (Exclusive)
Lesley Goldberg wrote:FX is teaming with Vaughan and Color Force's Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson to develop the dystopian sci-fi comic as an ongoing series, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. A search is under way to find a writer to develop the series with Vaughan. A director for the potential series has not yet been determined. Y: The Last Man, which is purely in development at this time, will be produced by FX and FX Productions.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:27 am

TheButcher wrote:'Y: The Last Man' TV Series in the Works at FX (Exclusive)
Lesley Goldberg wrote:FX is teaming with Vaughan and Color Force's Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson to develop the dystopian sci-fi comic as an ongoing series, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. A search is under way to find a writer to develop the series with Vaughan. A director for the potential series has not yet been determined. Y: The Last Man, which is purely in development at this time, will be produced by FX and FX Productions.

After over 2 years of silence, it looks like FX is finally moving on this project. A pilot episode has been ordered, and they've already assembled the creative team:

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/fx-y-the-last-man-pilot-1202745185/

Michael Green and someone I've never heard of before but apparently wrote for Luke Cage are the co-showrunners. Melina Matsoukas, who has a track record of working on single-camera comedies, is the director.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Movie News