Ridley $cott's MONOPO£Y! (Now w/ 100% More wtf?)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Postby Seppuku on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:04 am

Nachokoolaid wrote:
Seppuku wrote:I'd say it'd probably be more like Jumanji, but Zathura already tried to rip that off, and that failed miserably at the Box Office.

You know it was adapted from a novel written by the same guy that wrote Jumanji, right?

I do now.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Re:

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:47 pm

Seppuku wrote:

Holy caterpillars! This could either be incredibly stupid or a blank slate for Ridley & Co. to do what they like with. It's not like Hasbro are going to insist that there be a talking iron character or anything? Right?! I'm guessing it'll be set in a futuristic America, where the country's completely torn between several huge cuthroat conglomerates, each of which specialize in their own particular fields (the shipping industry, cars, home appliances and fashion- the shoe and bowler hat rolled into one).

i think he should go all Paul Thomas Anderson on it and make it really dark and metaphorical, and hire daniel day-lewis to play the monopoly guy, and call it There Will Be Free Parking

"I drink your Community Chest! I drink it up!"
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: Ridley $cott's MONOPO£Y! (Now w/ 100% More wtf?)

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:47 am

Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:31 am

You put Nic Cage in this and I'm all over it.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby papalazeru on Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:47 am

That's hysterical. Sign me up just to see them rack up this, a rather larger stack of dominoes in the hands on an easily embarassed man with parkinsons, and wait for the accidents to happen.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:18 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby buster00 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:25 pm

Has Ridley Scott ever directed a comedy before? Besides Hannibal?
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:01 pm

Well A Good Year and Matchstick Men were both definitely comedies... although depending on what you think of those films, that might not be good news.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby blackcauldron85 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:49 am

I think that it's kind of a neat idea. I just read the Collider article, and while I don't know if it's something I'd pay to see in the theater, I'd at least see it for free! It sounds fun... :oops:
blackcauldron85
GLIB

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:20 pm

Producer Randall Emmett Says MONOPOLY Movie Shoots This Summer
Likens It to GOONIES and Says Cast/Director Announcement Coming Soon
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: MONOPO£Y!

Postby TheButcher on Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:47 pm

Variety JULY 1, 2015:
‘Monopoly’ Movie Going Forward With Lionsgate
Dave McNary wrote:Lionsgate and Hasbro are teaming up on a Monopoly movie and have tapped Andrew Niccol (“The Truman Show”) to write the screenplay.

Hasbro has been attempting to launch a Monopoly movie since 2009. It was set up with Emmett/Furla in 2013 with Ridley Scott attached as a producer, but did not proceed past the development stage.

The game was originally called “The Landlord’s Game.” Parker Brothers began selling a variation of the original game in 1935, based on streets in Atlantic City, N.J., such as Baltic Avenue, Kentucky Avenue, Park Place and Boardwalk.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Monopoly Origins

Postby TheButcher on Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:50 pm

Monopoly Origins Movie in the Works
Dave McNary wrote:A movie about the origins of the board game Monopoly is in the works at Big Beach Films, producer of “Little Miss Sunshine” and the upcoming Elle Fanning transgender drama “About Ray.”

Big Beach’s Marc Turtletaub and Peter Saraf are producing with Diane Nabatoff, based on Mary Pilon’s book “The Monopolists: Obsession, Fury and the Scandal Behind the World’s Favorite Board Game.”

The book, published in February by Bloomsbury, traces back the history of the game to 1904, when anti-monopolist Elizabeth J. Magie Phillips created “The Landlord’s Game” as an educational tool to illustrate the negative aspects of concentrating land in private monopolies. Parker Brothers began selling a variation called Monopoly in 1935 with the game based on streets in Atlantic City, N.J.

The project will also be based on Ralph Anspach’s book “The Billion Dollar Monopoly Swindle,” which recounts his invention of the game Anti-Monopoly.

Howard A. Rodman, who was elected president of the Writers Guild of America West last month, has been hired to write the script.

Lionsgate and Hasbro announced in July that they were teaming up to develop a Monopoly movie with Andrew Nichol on board to write. Hasbro, which owns Parker Brothers, has been attempting to develop a Monopoly film since 2009.

ICM Partners represented Pilon’s and Anspach’s books. The news about Big Beach’s Monopoly project was first reported by Deadline Hollywood.

Big Beach Mounts ‘Monopolists:’ Howard Rodman To Script Board Game Drama
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Movie News