The Informers (Now w/ Trailer!)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

The Informers (Now w/ Trailer!)

Postby tapehead on Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:20 pm

Australian director Gregor Jordan (Two Hands, Buffalo Soldiers) is directing this new adaptation of Brett Easton Ellis' novel, 'The Informers' with an intersting cast including Billy Bob, Winona, and Brandon Routh ( As with Rules of Attraction, Christian Bale isn't going to turn up to reprise his role as Patrick Batemen). While it's an interesting image, the cliche tagline concerns me a little.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:37 am

Worry not tapehead, as much as I love picking on films while they're in production *cough*Watchmen*cough*, even I know not to judge a film by its taglines! That marketing mumbo-jumbo has no effect whatsoever on the film's production, and knowing that the director of Buffalo Soldiers is doing this film is enough for me to watch out for it.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby tapehead on Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:43 am

Ah yes, but like 'The Watchmen', it's a book I've read and am fond of (nearly as much as 'American Psycho'), so I feel it's my duty to worry. Gregor made 'Ned Kelly' too.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:48 am

I am SOOOOOO excited for The Informers. About three years ago I absolutely fell head over heels for Bret Easton Ellis and The Informers was the conclusion to a two month long obsession with his books. I love the casting and simply cannot wait to see what will be in store for us. I wonder what B.E.E.s script looks like.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:03 am

IMDB says Nicholas Jarecki wrote the screenplay - is it wrong?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:15 am

As far as I know. Here is the story Quint ran last year.

EDIT: It is interesting because for the longest time (up until about a month ago) it was BEEs name that was listed as have written the screenplay...the inclusion of this new guy must have been fairly recent.
Last edited by Leckomaniac on Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:17 am

Wikipedia says they worked on it together!!!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:17 am

Three cheers for teamwork.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:20 am

It sort of looks like Jarecki lost out on getting to direct it at some point along the line, no?
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Re: The Informers

Postby Ribbons on Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:08 am

Yay for teamwork!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby John-Locke on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:30 pm

The Informers

Based on a book by Brett Easton Ellis, I've not read that particular book but it at least looks interesting and full of potential plus it was Brad Renfro's last performances before he died.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Ribbons on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:20 pm

Wait, Brad Renfro died? When did that happen!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby John-Locke on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:49 pm

He died a week before Ledger and didn't get much media attention because he was seen as already being washed up and constantly in trouble. Heroin man, stay away from that shit, it'll kill you.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Re: The Informers (Now with Trailer)

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:22 pm

Wait, Heath Ledger died? When did that happen? Have I been gone from the Zone that long?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:45 pm

It was a strange time for all of us when you left, Kirks. Full of lots of emotions that were weird and deeply confusing.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:43 am

every time I see this thread title that one Snow song plays in my head.

I wish it would stop. :(
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Ribbons on Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:53 am

This'll help (kind of)
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:58 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:every time I see this thread title that one Snow song plays in my head.

Holy crap! Canada's answer to Vanilla Ice made his way all the way south of the border?

The same song keeps running through my head when I read this thread, but I would never mention it in fear that no one would know what I'm talking about.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:56 am

Ribbons wrote:This'll help (kind of)

Brilliant! I love this video, I would play it over and over and OVER again when I first got it. Jim Carrey should go back to doing these kinda things, not the shite films he's wasting away doing right now.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Re: The Informers (Now w/ Trailer!)

Postby Ribbons on Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:09 pm

Retardo_Montalban wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:every time I see this thread title that one Snow song plays in my head.

Holy crap! Canada's answer to Vanilla Ice made his way all the way south of the border?

The same song keeps running through my head when I read this thread, but I would never mention it in fear that no one would know what I'm talking about.

Oh yeah. Although the video (and the song itself) is strangely difficult to find on YouTube. :? It's almost like Snow got embarrassed and told his lawyers to take it off the Internet.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby tapehead on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:15 pm

Bret Easton Ellis interview from Onion AV - sheds some light on the situation with Jarecki, originally in line to direct and co-write the screenplay, and his eventual replacement by Gregor. Seems like Ellis only half likes the resulting film.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby John-Locke on Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:22 pm

Cheers for the link, interesting read.

I'd totally forgot about Glitterati too, I doubt anyone knows where to find a copy?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby tapehead on Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:37 pm

Haha - I've just been checking all available sources for that one too. Nope, can't find it, but I'd love to have a look at it.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:46 pm

THE INFORMERS

Brett Easton Ellis adapts his own collection of short stories into a screenplay in this hit-and-miss-but-mostly-miss ensemble piece that arrives about 20 years too late. I'll say that I was at one time a really big fan of Ellis's work, I still think he is a great writer, I just think he's run his course in terms of social relevance and this movie is kinda a perfect example of why. When Ellis rose to fame in the early 90s satirizing 80s upper class bourgeoisie it all had a good immediate observational exposé feel to it. In THE INFORMERS Ellis once again takes us behind the gated communities of Beverly Hill's elite class and depicts 80s bourgeoisie America as Rome in its final hedonistic days. But the problem is it's all kinda bullshit. You watch the movie and for a split second he makes you almost believe that the American empire will fall any day because of all this hedonism and spreading of AIDS, but then you remember that you're watching this shit in 2010 and everything worked out fine. So all this doom and gloom about the world coming to an end in a movie set in the 1980s just doesn’t tap into anything we’re feeling now, unless you’re that lady from GOODBYE LENIN who thinks it is still the 80s.

And the exposé aspect of it no longer holds any caché (sorry to use so many French words). For the last ten years we’ve been bombarded with the every movement of Paris Hilton and the cast of The Hills and so there’s really no mystery to these people any more. When Ellis started his career these people might’ve been perceived as mysterious royalty, but now they are just widely regarded as fucked up brats.

Like most multi-strained films, there are some pointless plotlines that just feel more like irrelevant tangents. In this film it is Mickey Rourke as a white trash child kidnapper. But unlike most multi-strained films, there isn’t even one real standout performance. There are some well put together moments but not even any plotlines that are terribly memorable.

I’d probably say the main plotline and character is one involving a young guy played by somebody named Jon Foster because his character is the only one who really seems thoughtful. I’d say one key scene with him is in the middle was where he screams out asking for values even if they’re wrong, he hollers that he just wants to be able to evaluate things and feel some sense of right and wrong. This scene prettymuch expresses what I think was the whole message of the film about how these rich people live without consequences or limits and as a result they feel nothing. I think Zardoz did that better. And I didn’t think this Jon Foster kid really had what it took to sell all the scenes he was handed.

I read some other reviews that all mocked the final scene for its acting and a final line that is a tad melodramatic, but I’ll say I found it kinda ballsy and poetic even though it’s basically saying that AIDS will soon bring about the apocalypse, which we know didn’t happen. And sure there are some weak performances throughout the film and some plotlines that don’t fit well with the others, but I think the unsatisfactory nature of this film comes from the fact that this movie really just didn’t need to be made at all. I can’t blame it on any one aspect of the film, it’s just a film that serves no purpose other than to deliver an overdue warning that we all know is bullshit and to give more limelight to fucked up Beverly Hills brats of whom we are all sick.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Return to Movie News