IT (Stephen King)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

IT (Stephen King)

Postby Fievel on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:08 pm

Warner Bros. Orders Big-Screen Take On Stephen King's IT

I doubt this will be good.
At least Mick Garris' name isn't on it.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:31 pm

Fievel wrote:Warner Bros. Orders Big-Screen Take On Stephen King's IT

I doubt this will be good.
At least Mick Garris' name isn't on it.

can't possibly be worse than the tv-movie.

can it?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:39 pm

Yes IT can.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fievel on Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:37 pm

I see what you did there.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fievel on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:20 pm

It will be Rated R!

Dave Kajganich, the writer of the upcoming theatrical remake of Stephen King's IT wrote:"The remake will be set in the mid-1980s and in the present almost equally -- mirroring the twenty-odd-year gap King uses in the book -- and with a *great* deal of care and attention paid to the backstories of all the characters," says Kajganich. "I think the real twist here is that my pitch to WB -- which they've assured me they're on board for -- is that this will not be PG-13. This will be R. Which means we can really honor the book and engage with the traumas (both the paranormal ones and those they deal with at home and school) that these character endure."

"I plan to be very protective of the book," Kajganich continues. "The reality, though, is that WB wants to do this as a single film, so I will have to kill a few darlings to make that happen. You have my promise, though, that I will do this with the utmost humility and respect for King's work. He's the King, after all, and I intend to continue to pledge to him my allegiance."
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: It (Stephen King)

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:28 pm

Yeah I'm quite happy about this. I've never read the book but I have fond memories of the miniseries even if thinking back on it was probably really cheesy. And the spider at the end is pretty shit. But I think it's a story with really good potential, even the scariest King stories give me a comfy, cozy feeling at the same time as being disturbing and setting the kid part in the 80's will enhance that no end.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Re: It (Stephen King)

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:07 pm

Dave Kajganich, the writer of the upcoming theatrical remake of Stephen King's IT wrote:"The remake will be set in the mid-1980s and in the present almost equally -- mirroring the twenty-odd-year gap King uses in the book --

That does not sound at all appealing. Unfortunately changing the time frame throws a major theme of the 50's period out the window. Guess I'll wait for a possible third attempt at this book to see if they can get it right.
Last edited by Chairman Kaga on Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go fuck yourself.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: IT (Stephen King)

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:27 pm

i endorse moving the kids stuff into the 80s.

i'm sure king purists will hate it, but let's face it, you're not going to please any king purists with a 2 or 3 hour version of this book.
i like it because a big part of those scenes in the book is the nostalgic factor, and the only people nostalgic for the 50s are now elderly. i was a kid in the 80s, so i'll get that nostalgia factor king was going for a lot more with this change than i would've with a period piece, and so will most people in their 30s. i think most people who were fans of this book read it in the 80s, and like me were kids in the 80s, and so possibly this change will make it resonate with us in a whole new way that will work well.

plus, i think when you do an adaptation or a remake, staying in the same time period is overrated. sometimes it's necessary, but in a lot of cases it isn't, so i don't see the big deal with changing the timeframe. watchmen for example, i really don't think that film would've been any worse if it had been updated and set in the present (although it didn't really feel very much like the 80s in the first place).
it's been a long time since i read IT, so maybe i'm forgetting something, but i can't think of anything plot-wise or theme-wise that makes it essential to maintain the 50s timeline.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby papalazeru on Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:09 pm

TheBaxter wrote:plus, i think when you do an adaptation or a remake, staying in the same time period is overrated.

I dunno. It was like a gay 'Stand by me' with a lot more Gary Glitter.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:36 pm

papalazeru wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:plus, i think when you do an adaptation or a remake, staying in the same time period is overrated.

are you referring to IT, or Watchmen?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 22, 2014 6:11 pm

Stephen King's 'It' Moves From Warner Bros. to New Line (Exclusive)
In a rare move, the long-in-the-works re-adaptation of the novel is shifting to the studio division as the corporate siblings draw clearer distinctions about the types of movies they make.
Borys Kit wrote:The long road to re-adapt Stephen King's novel It has taken another turn.

Warner Bros. has been developing a big-screen take for five years, and in 2012 it hired Cary Fukunaga to direct two films produced by Roy Lee, Dan Lin, Seth Grahame-Smith and David Katzenberg.

But just as Fukunaga is coming off HBO's True Detective, the project is leaving Warners -- sort of.

In a rare move, It is shifting to the studio's New Line division. Insiders say that as New Line prepares for a June move from West Hollywood to Warners' Burbank lot, the siblings are drawing clearer distinctions about the types of movies they make.

New Line will now take the lead on horror, bringing the company back to one of its roots. It was once known as the House that Freddy Built due to the long-standing success of the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise. Horror is now having a resurgence at the company -- the emphasis is less slashery and more thrills and chills -- as evidenced by last year's hit The Conjuring.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:32 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
papalazeru wrote:

are you referring to IT, or Watchmen?

ALAN MOORE: "I AM NOT THE NORTHAMPTON CLOWN"

The author of V for Vendetta & The Watchmen refutes the rumors.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:15 am

Cary Fukunaga Will Shoot Stephen King’s It Next Summer
Kyle Buchanan wrote:Good news, horror fans: After a very long development process, it looks like a big-screen adaptation of Stephen King’s seminal horror novel It is finally going to happen. Vulture spoke with the project’s producer Dan Lin last night at an awards-season party celebrating The Lego Movie (which Lin also produced), and he confirmed that It will be his next live-action movie, with True Detective helmer Cary Fukunaga confirmed to direct. “The idea is to start official prep in March for a summer shoot,” said Lin. “Cary likes to develop things for a while, and we’ve been with this for about three or four years, so we’re super excited that he stayed with it. You guys are gonna be really excited.”

That’s an understatement: Aside from a 1990 ABC TV miniseries boasting a memorable performance from Tim Curry as the evil clown Pennywise (a human guise for the book’s titular evil being), It has never quite gotten the cinematic treatment the story deserves, and Lin says his big plan is to split King’s sprawling novel into two movies. “The book is so epic that we couldn’t tell it all in one movie and service the characters with enough depth,” explained Lin; the first film, then, will be a coming-of-age story about the children tormented by It, while the second will skip ahead in time as those same characters band together to continue the fight as adults. Though Fukunaga is only committed to directing the first film, Lin says the in-demand helmer is currently closing a deal to co-write the second.

And no one is more excited about the project’s renewed movement than It’s author. “The most important thing is that Stephen King gave us his blessing,” said Lin. “We didn’t want to make this unless he felt it was the right way to go, and when we sent him the script, the response that Cary got back was, ‘Go with God, please! This is the version the studio should make.’ So that was really gratifying.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:09 pm

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:16 pm

Wonder what his balloon animals look like.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Al Shut on Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:55 am

Is that an euphemism?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:55 pm

well, we can all sit around being disappointed with how fucked up and terrible this Dark Tower adaptation sounds destined to be.

or, we can check out this new IT trailer and get our hopes up about seeing another King novel actually getting a decent translation:

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:10 pm

Fuck....... that looks amazing!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm loving the change to the 1980's. The kids all seem perfect so far. And Pennywise seems to be scary as hell.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:38 am

I've never gotten the whole phobia of clowns so this trailer doesn't do a lot for me, but I'm holding out hope that the movie will be a little more substantial
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:51 am

Quint complained a lot about the "tone" of the Dark Tower footage. well, this IT trailer nails the tone of the book. that opening, with the boat and the sewer, feels like it was ripped straight off the page.
you'd think the shift to the 80s might affect that, but it doesn't feel like it. then again, i read this book in the 80s, back when i was about the same age as the kids in the trailer. so my imagined version of the book, even the 50s scenes, probably resembles the 80s a lot more than the 50s anyway. so for someone like me, the time period switch works perfectly. it will play to my nostalgia a lot better than if it was actually set in the 50s, which again, that nostalgia is a huge part of the book.
of course, my biggest concern is the ending, which is the biggest disappointment of the book. this is probably one of those books that is Exhibit #1 in the "Stephen King Can't Write Satisfying Endings" case for the prosecution.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:46 pm

this trailer looks like they hit the nail on the head when it comes to atmosphere, great visuals, though we can't really get much of a read on the performances of the kid actors, which is always a wildcard. I am not usually one for horror movies but this is one I will be checking out in theatres

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:20 pm

I like it. It does look scary. I hate it when trailers end with a shot of something flying or rushing at the screen real fast, but that shot of Pennywise in full evil monster mode screaming toward the camera is horrible.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:20 pm

Peven wrote:this trailer looks like they hit the nail on the head when it comes to atmosphere, great visuals, though we can't really get much of a read on the performances of the kid actors, which is always a wildcard. I am not usually one for horror movies but this is one I will be checking out in theatres

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:I like it.

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:23 pm

keep pondering, kirk is all swarthy and dashing while i am pasty white and nondescript :oops: :(

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:34 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:that shot of Pennywise in full evil monster mode screaming toward the camera is horrible.

Horrible like horrifying, or horrible like weaksauce?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:43 pm

Ribbons wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:that shot of Pennywise in full evil monster mode screaming toward the camera is horrible.

Horrible like horrifying, or horrible like weaksauce?

Horrifying.

Funny that. When I was typing 'horrible' I wondered if someone may see that word in a negatively criticising way, and it did. And on another website that is also using a dark background but also full of terrifying and evil women like the clown, but much prettier, I wrote something that I thought may be confusing for a girl to read, and as a result I was the only person she didn't respond to.

Looks like I'm gonna win the Zone Brainsplitter award again at this rate. Hang on, I'll get a screenshot of that S&M girl's photo and my comment for you all...
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:13 am

/film March 30th, 2017:
‘It’ Trailer Breakdown: Going Through the New Footage Frame-by-Frame
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:26 pm

TheButcher wrote:/film March 30th, 2017:
‘It’ Trailer Breakdown: Going Through the New Footage Frame-by-Frame

guess i don't have to worry about whether they improve the ending... it won't be in this film.

Muschietti is not focusing on the adult segments at all in this film, saving them for a sequel.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:28 am

I may be remembering things wrong but the book is hardly equal parts past and present, is it? Without adding a good deal of material the adults would spend most of the time trying to remember the first movie.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Ribbons on Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:44 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 25, 2017 7:50 am

/film May 24th, 2017:
Stephen King’s Creepy Clown is the Subject of New Doc ‘Pennywise: The Story of It’
Ben Pearson wrote:I read Stephen King’s iconic 1986 horror novel It for the first time earlier this year in preparation for the upcoming feature film adaptation. The book is phenomenal, but for many, their introduction to the novel’s demonic antagonist – who often takes the form of a murderous clown named Pennywise (aka Robert Gray) – came in the 1990 miniseries, in which Tim Curry played the title role.

With the new movie quickly approaching, a group of filmmakers are taking this opportunity to crowdfund a documentary called Pennywise: The Story of It that reveals behind-the-scenes details about the making of that miniseries and features interviews with the cast. And Curry himself is already on board. Check out the pitch video for the new Pennywise documentary and get more information below.

Here’s the pitch video from the filmmakers’ IndieGoGo campaign, via ComingSoon:

Based on the way this video is cut, I feel like the doc might be a little better off if it focused exclusively on the history and making of It instead of touching on the whole “creepy clowns in the woods” phenomenon that happened last year. I understand that there’s a chance there’s a correlation, but unless they interview people who were actually wandering around in the woods in 2016 dressed as clowns and they confirm that they were inspired to do that by Stephen King’s It, then I don’t think there’s much of a valid connection to explore in a documentary.

However, director Chris Griffiths and various members of his team have been involved in multiple making-of documentaries before, so they have experience when it comes to unearthing fascinating stories of beloved properties. Collectively, they’ve been responsible for films like Leviathan: The Story of Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II, You’re so cool, Brewster! The Story of Fright Night, RoboDoc: The Creation of RoboCop, and Unearthed and Untold: The Path to Pet Sematary.

Plus, it’s pretty spectacular that this group was able to lock down Tim Curry to participate in their doc, since the actor suffered a stroke back in 2012 and is now in a wheelchair. They’ve also secured what sounds like a significant portion of the cast and crew of the miniseries (more than 20 people) to tell the untold story of bringing King’s terrifying masterwork to life.

If you’ve been able to suppress any childhood trauma this miniseries may have inflicted upon you and are interested in supporting their project, you can visit their crowdfunding page right here.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 25, 2017 12:58 pm

the IT miiniseries was kinda terrible. i mean, it's not Mick Garris-level shitty or anything, but it's certainly not nearly good enough to justify a feature-length documentary. Tim Curry's performance was the best thing by far about it, but that's hardly worthy of a documentary. seems like these guys make lots of documentaries about mildly popular horror films, and i'm sure some have interesting stories, but that's what DVD extra features are for.

as for the creepy clown phenomenon... why not just make a documentary about clowns instead? you can talk about the creepy clowns in the woods, and spend 4-5 minutes on IT (which is probably about 3-4 minutes more than it deserves), and you can also talk to clowns from the Ringling Bros. Circus which just shut down, and the history of clowns, and why some people find them so frightening, etc. and actually have enough interesting material to justify a full-length film.

or better yet, make a documentary about Mick Garris, and why he sucks so bad at adapting Stephen King properties, and try to help us all figure out why that guy keeps getting chances to make films. now THAT'S a mystery way better than any of those murder-crime-mystery podcasts that are so popular now.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Fri May 26, 2017 9:30 pm

TheBaxter wrote:as for the creepy clown phenomenon... why not just make a documentary about clowns instead? you can talk about the creepy clowns in the woods, and spend 4-5 minutes on IT (which is probably about 3-4 minutes more than it deserves), and you can also talk to clowns from the Ringling Bros. Circus which just shut down, and the history of clowns, and why some people find them so frightening, etc.

And definitely find somewhere to put this video:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: It 2: It Begins

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:08 am

Variety July 19, 2017:
‘It’ Director on Tackling the Two R-Rated Movies and Why He Picked Bill Skarsgard for Pennywise
Brent Lang wrote:
There will be two films?

We are doing that. We’ll probably have a script for the second part in January. Ideally, we would start prep in March. Part one is only about the kids. Part two is about these characters 30 years later as adults, with flashbacks to 1989 when they were kids.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:27 pm

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:44 pm

Mullets are scary
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Al Shut on Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:14 pm

Come to think of it, I don't think I heard a single stutter in these trailers. :?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:35 pm

Al Shut wrote:Come to think of it, I don't think I heard a single stutter in these trailers. :?

that's because Youtube replaced Flash with HTML5 years ago.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:59 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:15 pm

SPOILERS

THR SEPTEMBER 07, 2017:
'It' Movie Sequel Plans Move Forward at New Line
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:00 pm

Is anybody else a little bit shocked that IT made $123 fucking million this weekend? I guess I seriously underestimated people's love of scary clowns.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:56 pm

What made $123 fucking million this weekend?
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:29 pm

It did
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:38 pm

Ribbons wrote:Is anybody else a little bit shocked that IT made $123 fucking million this weekend? I guess I seriously underestimated people's love of scary clowns.

the fact that this made so much money at the box office, while that travesty of a Dark Tower film completely tanked, has temporarily restored my faith in humanity for about 72 seconds or so.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:59 am

So how DO you folks feel about this IT movie?
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Ribbons on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:39 pm

Since I'm pretty much the only person in the country not to have seen IT yet, I can't really say
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:57 am

And here I am hogging all the IT.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:44 am

if this movie isn't the best Stephen King adaptation, it's definitely in the top 5 at least.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:12 pm

TheBaxter wrote:if this movie isn't the best Stephen King adaptation, it's definitely in the top 5 at least.

Agreed. I've seen it three times and it hasn't lost its magic yet. A lot of the complaints I've seen have been about how it's not scary or some shit, but I wasn't even going into this for the horror stuff anyway. I was hoping for some actual fucking characters, some emotion, some humor, some heart, some drama. And it delivered on all that shit. There was also a good amount of creepy stuff to "tickle my pickle" so overall I'd say this fucker covers all the bases.

Frankly, I thought the film was kind of a miracle. A minor one, but a miracle just the same.
caruso_stalker217

Postby thomasgaffney on Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:11 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Frankly, I thought the film was kind of a miracle. A minor one, but a miracle just the same.

After The Dark Tower, I thought a good version of IT would be a miracle, but it came through and then some.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Next

Return to Movie Discussion