The Dark Tower (TV Show Time!)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: The Dark Tower (TV Show Time!)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:31 pm

Mining real-life tragedy to lend your fictional story weight usually does not go over well for me. It's like "Hey, 9/11 was really sad. We can still milk that 16 years later right?"

I resent it being shoehorned into Jake's back story. "My dad, whom I loved more than anyone ever, has just died from being a BIG FUCKING HERO, and now I'm really sad. Hope there's some sort of father figure I can latch onto in order to give this story some fucking emotional weight!"

What I liked about Jake in the books is that he was a lonely kid whose parents didn't really give a shit about him. His whole journey really was finding a place he belonged with a family that loved him.

But people can't relate to that shit, right? So 9/11!
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:19 am

TheBaxter wrote:
TheButcher wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Is it strange that this is being released in July but we haven't seen any promotion for it yet?

Quint saw the first Dark Tower footage at CinemaCon and says it's kind of a fuckin' bummer.

that game was awesome.
and that commercial is probably a lot more entertaining than this movie will be.

an Orson Welles Dark Tower movie would have been something special.

The computer kept track giving me secret information.

AICN May 14, 2004:
What the hell' Animated DARK TOWER series at HBO' Tartakovsky involved'''
Quint wrote:Ahoy, squirts... Quint here with an interesting hunk of rumor for you Dark Tower nutters to think over. I'm a bit skeptical of this one, being that I know King has a tight handhold on the rights to this series and I've heard there is only one filmmaker he is willing to give the rights to and it isn't Genndy Tartakovsky.

Now, I love Tartakovsky's stuff. His Clone Wars had more inventive fights, characters and storylines than anything Lucas has really shown in the first two prequels. He knows action... But his style of animation (SAMURAI JACK included) is completely wrong for this universe. It wouldn't work to tell this story. It'd be like Tartakovsky doing Miyazaki's SPIRITED AWAY... They're both master animators, but the way Miyazaki told that story was the only way it could have been told. Tartakovsky's work just wouldn't have fit.

Now, I'm no fan of Anime... Never have been. I've liked some Anime (GHOST IN THE SHELL, NINJA SCROLL, etc... you know, the tentpoles), but on the whole I'm no screaming Anime fan... BUT, I'm of the opinion that something like the Anime work that was done in KILL BILL would be a lot closer to making Roland's world work than Tartakovsky's style... But, on the other hand, I'd trust Tartakovsky to be true to the spirit of Stephen King's book.

Anyway, I'd much rather see a live action film series be made out of this series, but an animated HBO series, in the right hands, could kick some ass. I'll keep my feelers out for info on this project, but keep in mind that according to the below scooper, this is just in its pitch stage. Thousands of things get pitched every day in Hollywood. So, this could come to nothing... Hell, whoever is pitching might not even have the rights. But 'tis interesting nonetheless.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:43 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if this gets pushed back again.

THE DARK TOWER release date pushed back to August 4
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Previous

Return to Movie News