The Dark Tower (TV Show Time!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: The Dark Tower (TV Show Time!)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:31 pm

Mining real-life tragedy to lend your fictional story weight usually does not go over well for me. It's like "Hey, 9/11 was really sad. We can still milk that 16 years later right?"

I resent it being shoehorned into Jake's back story. "My dad, whom I loved more than anyone ever, has just died from being a BIG FUCKING HERO, and now I'm really sad. Hope there's some sort of father figure I can latch onto in order to give this story some fucking emotional weight!"

What I liked about Jake in the books is that he was a lonely kid whose parents didn't really give a shit about him. His whole journey really was finding a place he belonged with a family that loved him.

But people can't relate to that shit, right? So 9/11!
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:19 am

TheBaxter wrote:
TheButcher wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Is it strange that this is being released in July but we haven't seen any promotion for it yet?

Quint saw the first Dark Tower footage at CinemaCon and says it's kind of a fuckin' bummer.

that game was awesome.
and that commercial is probably a lot more entertaining than this movie will be.

an Orson Welles Dark Tower movie would have been something special.

The computer kept track giving me secret information.

AICN May 14, 2004:
What the hell' Animated DARK TOWER series at HBO' Tartakovsky involved'''
Quint wrote:Ahoy, squirts... Quint here with an interesting hunk of rumor for you Dark Tower nutters to think over. I'm a bit skeptical of this one, being that I know King has a tight handhold on the rights to this series and I've heard there is only one filmmaker he is willing to give the rights to and it isn't Genndy Tartakovsky.

Now, I love Tartakovsky's stuff. His Clone Wars had more inventive fights, characters and storylines than anything Lucas has really shown in the first two prequels. He knows action... But his style of animation (SAMURAI JACK included) is completely wrong for this universe. It wouldn't work to tell this story. It'd be like Tartakovsky doing Miyazaki's SPIRITED AWAY... They're both master animators, but the way Miyazaki told that story was the only way it could have been told. Tartakovsky's work just wouldn't have fit.

Now, I'm no fan of Anime... Never have been. I've liked some Anime (GHOST IN THE SHELL, NINJA SCROLL, etc... you know, the tentpoles), but on the whole I'm no screaming Anime fan... BUT, I'm of the opinion that something like the Anime work that was done in KILL BILL would be a lot closer to making Roland's world work than Tartakovsky's style... But, on the other hand, I'd trust Tartakovsky to be true to the spirit of Stephen King's book.

Anyway, I'd much rather see a live action film series be made out of this series, but an animated HBO series, in the right hands, could kick some ass. I'll keep my feelers out for info on this project, but keep in mind that according to the below scooper, this is just in its pitch stage. Thousands of things get pitched every day in Hollywood. So, this could come to nothing... Hell, whoever is pitching might not even have the rights. But 'tis interesting nonetheless.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:43 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if this gets pushed back again.

THE DARK TOWER release date pushed back to August 4
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:50 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 01, 2017 10:34 am

wow, that is TOTALLY two people walking down a street!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Mon May 01, 2017 11:03 am

No it is not.
Jake is walking, clearly in mid-stride.
Roland appears to be just standing there, wondering how he ended up in such a shaky production in the first place. You cannot provide enough evidence within that one picture that Roland is walking.

Fake news.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 02, 2017 6:18 pm

All I see are a 40 year old man and Idris Elba.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Fried Gold on Tue May 02, 2017 7:27 pm

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Tue May 02, 2017 8:23 pm

I love the exchange!
It's just sad that those two are in charge of marketing in addition to their duties as actors.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue May 02, 2017 9:06 pm

Someone's gotta sell this fucker.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Fievel on Wed May 03, 2017 10:51 am

TRAILER!!

I'm pleasantly optimistic about this. There is so much in that trailer that I love:
-Roland's reloading techniques
-Roland's father!! Pedro Cerrano!!!
-Roland's Jedi-like gunshot
-I kinda like the MIB's henchmen's look. Generic in this day and age of genre films, but still kinda cool. I'm hoping they have animal-ish faces under those scarves/masks.

But along with that, there is so much NEW I'm seeing. Whether it's new because it's the sequel to the books or it's new because it's a shitty script, I can't tell. I really don't like the overall look of the film so far, either. It looks like it was run through a Zack Snyder filter or something.

The Talkbacks are just booming with white-based racial injustice cries. I'm so fucking sick of it. I wrote a huge thing there, but my basic thought is that other than the Eastwood comparison and the Detta Race Battle (which I'm hoping is reversed with a white racist Odetta), there is nothing about Roland where his skin color defines him. Nothing. I also hope that they acknowledge that Roland is black "this time" in the cycle. I think that would be cool as hell if written properly.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 03, 2017 11:17 am

Fievel wrote:The Talkbacks are just booming with white-based racial injustice cries. I'm so fucking sick of it. I wrote a huge thing there, but my basic thought is that other than the Eastwood comparison and the Detta Race Battle (which I'm hoping is reversed with a white racist Odetta), there is nothing about Roland where his skin color defines him. Nothing. I also hope that they acknowledge that Roland is black "this time" in the cycle. I think that would be cool as hell if written properly.

they just want to Make the Dark Tower Great Again™
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Bloo on Wed May 03, 2017 11:24 am

I peeked into the AICN Talkback for the first time in YEARS and I left. I couldn't stand it.

The trailer looks batshit insane in all the good ways.
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed May 03, 2017 12:29 pm

I suppose if I had the inclination I could break down the whole trailer into stuff I liked and stuff I didn't and why, but I seem to have a lot less patience these days when it comes to writing about movies. So I guess I'll just give my general feelings, seeing as I'm a major Dark Tower fan, I've bitched about this movie a lot already, Roland is my favorite fictional character, I named my son after him, etc. I guess I owe it that much.

I hated this trailer and the movie looks like shit.

Well, that was easy.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Peven on Wed May 03, 2017 1:52 pm

why people get hung up on King's novel's is beyond me. I was never moved by any novels of his I read. I give him credit, he can come up with some interesting premises for his stories and spins a good yarn. still, it isn't as if they are anything resembling icons of literature to be revered, either. all sorts of books are adapted and the source material is rarely if ever followed "faithfully", and some of those have been excellent movies, some good, some bad, and the determining factors were no different than for an original screenplay . a good movie is a good movie, regardless if it follows the book it was based on exactly. which is why when fans of books start talking about how shitty a movie looks because it doesn't look like how they imagined it it doesn't mean squat. it does for them, of course, but not to anyone who is able to look at the movie objectively and isn't tied down by loyalty to an earlier version that was chosen by a publisher to put out in print form after the original was edited down.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed May 03, 2017 2:08 pm

It doesn't look like The Dark Tower. It also doesn't look like a good movie in general. It looks like television-level derivative schlock.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Fievel on Wed May 03, 2017 2:41 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:It looks like television-level derivative schlock.

Mick Garris takes offense.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed May 03, 2017 2:45 pm

Fievel wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:It looks like television-level derivative schlock.

Mick Garris takes offense.

:lol:
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed May 03, 2017 3:34 pm

John Hawkes needs to play Mick Garris in MICK GARRIS: THE MICK GARRIS STORY.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 03, 2017 3:53 pm

Peven wrote:why people get hung up on King's novel's is beyond me. I was never moved by any novels of his I read. I give him credit, he can come up with some interesting premises for his stories and spins a good yarn. still, it isn't as if they are anything resembling icons of literature to be revered, either. all sorts of books are adapted and the source material is rarely if ever followed "faithfully", and some of those have been excellent movies, some good, some bad, and the determining factors were no different than for an original screenplay . a good movie is a good movie, regardless if it follows the book it was based on exactly. which is why when fans of books start talking about how shitty a movie looks because it doesn't look like how they imagined it it doesn't mean squat. it does for them, of course, but not to anyone who is able to look at the movie objectively and isn't tied down by loyalty to an earlier version that was chosen by a publisher to put out in print form after the original was edited down.

you think Stephen King books are edited?

that's cute.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed May 03, 2017 4:16 pm

I was watching or reading an interview or a Q&A with Joe Hill where he mentioned that his dad pretty much does like one and a half drafts for his books these days. Which sounds about right.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 03, 2017 11:35 pm

Draft 1.5 must be the one where he adds all those out-of-place techie terms and misused slang.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Thu May 04, 2017 4:54 am

My knowlede of the books can be summed up with 'What's a Roland?'

So all I can say is all the shooting looks pretty stylish.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Peven on Thu May 04, 2017 10:16 am

TheBaxter wrote:
Peven wrote:why people get hung up on King's novel's is beyond me. I was never moved by any novels of his I read. I give him credit, he can come up with some interesting premises for his stories and spins a good yarn. still, it isn't as if they are anything resembling icons of literature to be revered, either. all sorts of books are adapted and the source material is rarely if ever followed "faithfully", and some of those have been excellent movies, some good, some bad, and the determining factors were no different than for an original screenplay . a good movie is a good movie, regardless if it follows the book it was based on exactly. which is why when fans of books start talking about how shitty a movie looks because it doesn't look like how they imagined it it doesn't mean squat. it does for them, of course, but not to anyone who is able to look at the movie objectively and isn't tied down by loyalty to an earlier version that was chosen by a publisher to put out in print form after the original was edited down.

that's cute.

everyone is edited. I'd guess King probably initially hands in a couple hundred pages more than make it to the final draft

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Thu May 04, 2017 10:30 am

I don't dislike it.

There are parts which resemble what I imagined from some of the books, which is interesting to see. Some of it feels a bit cleaner and brighter in photographic terms than I expected.

And it seems to be well-cast. I suspect any problems (if there are any) will come from the writing and the story they've chosen.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu May 04, 2017 7:23 pm

I suppose I'll dribble out a few actual thoughts about the trailer.

Not sure I'm feeling that bit of dialogue Idris said something like "For a thousand generations the gunslingers blah blah blah" because that's Star Wars. THAT'S STAR WARS.

In addition to that, they seem to have given Roland magic glowing blue guns which also make his eyes glow blue so the filmmakers can say "See? We made his eyes blue!" Because magic.

Roland can also focus his mind to make trick shots where he doesn't even need to look at what he's shooting because he's such a magical Jedi badass.

Fucking speed-loaders?

Dennis Haysbert looks like a kindly grandfather. Steven Deschain never struck me as the kindly grandfather type.

I guess they really are changing Jake's background to make his dad a 9/11 hero who died because we see his mom hugging him in the trailer. I'm really glad that's in the movie.

Stephen King Easter eggs. A picture of the Overlook. A sign that says Pennywise. These are things that I recognize.

There was other stuff I hated too, but nobody cares.
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Fri May 05, 2017 12:40 am

Peven wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

that's cute.

everyone is edited. I'd guess King probably initially hands in a couple hundred pages more than make it to the final draft

King used to be edited... nowadays his "editors" are his wife and son, who basically love everything dear old dad writes, and some yes-man at his publisher who doesn't do much more than check for typos and errors. seriously, some guy pulling down $40K a year is gonna tell the biggest cash cow in modern fiction to cut down his pages? yeah sure.

just like certain directors have "final cut" for their films, some writers get final cut on their novels, and King would be at the top of that list. his family and friends might read over his stuff and make suggestions, but King has the final say. a lot of his books have gotten shorter lately, but i put that down to getting old and tired and lazy. or maybe all the drugs from the 80s have finally been completely flushed from his system. it was a lot easier for him to write 1500 pages of a novel back when his blood-cocaine levels were in the double digits.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 05, 2017 1:18 am

Fievel wrote:TRAILER!!

The Dark Tower Trailer Is Live And Quint Breaks It Down For You!
Let's talk about some nerdy shit.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Fri May 05, 2017 7:56 am

So they adapt King's magnum opus, which links a majority of his other works.
In the film version they include a picture of the hotel from the film version of The Shining......an adaptation that King dislikes so much that his comments throughout the years have become almost theatrical.
On the surface that either appears to be a poor choice or a "fuck you" to King.

...unless they end up at the Overlook at some point in this DT series because they couldn't get the rights to any other properties....actually, that's something King should have done. Dammit Steve! :lol:

I posted something on Bloo's Facebook page yesterday to be goofy, but if someone thought this conspiracy theory out and wrote it up, I'd read the shit out of it:

The entire Dark Tower series is all in the head of Stebbins, trying to entertain himself on The Long Walk (the real reason he's so quiet for most of that story).
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Fri May 05, 2017 9:05 am

if this does well enough at the box office i think we'll see a cable network like Fox or HBO or a streaming service like Netflix buy the rights for a series and actually make it this time

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Sun May 07, 2017 6:55 pm

King's problem with Kubrick's Shining have mellowed over time. but he does still prefer the Mick Garris version, so it's interesting they didn't use his version of the Overlook Hotel (which was the actual Stanley Hotel that King said inspired his book).
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Mon May 08, 2017 5:07 am

I'm not suprised. King and Garris aside who doesn't prefer Kubrick?
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fievel on Mon May 08, 2017 7:04 am

I never finished the Garris version. Like all his movies, the overall production quality was ridiculously low. At that point in time, it looked like something that was produced for television 15 years earlier.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: Akiva Goldsman's Dark Tower TV Show

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:35 pm

Dark Tower TV Plans Would Include Idris Elba
Producer Akiva Goldsman reveals a planned Dark Tower television prequel would see Idris Elba reprise his role as the Gunslinger.
Geoff Miller wrote:According to producer Akiva Goldsman, the intention is for Idris Elba to reprise his role as Roland Deschain on television.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:24 pm

I would be surprised if it makes it to the TV stage of their plans.

I'm assuming this film will fail hard. The marketing has been lackluster at best, and what it has shown doesn't bring anything new or unique to potential viewers unfamiliar with the source material. I'm still intrigued to see it as a fan of the books, but I can't see casual moviegoers finding anything remotely interesting about this. Quint has grown grouchier on his new bits on the film and I agree to an extent. Very few of the scenes shown look like parts of the books. That's understandable to an extent as the director has said this is the sequel to the books. But the overall look of the film in its commercials is more akin to Paul W.S. Anderson's films than the post-apocalyptic western/sci-fi/fantasy epic presented in the books.

I'm still hoping to be wowed and entertained, but "It" is the Stephen King film I'm most looking forward to this year....and that's funny to me. "It" also made big changes to the story, setting the kids' story ahead 30 years to the 1980s.....but it still looks like the "It" I read.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:16 pm

It may profit with it's budget being rather low at 60 million USD.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fievel on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:19 pm

Holy shit is that right?? :shock:
I'll be surprised if they make a third of that back in the US, but international sales could bring them into profits.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:54 pm

IT is definitely the King movie to see. I was pretty neutral on that one until I saw that clip of the kids shit-talking and then when I saw the trailer in front of ALIEN COVENANT and was genuinely creeped out (more so than I was watching ALIEN COVENANT).

This film just looks depressing from a fan-of-the-book point of view. It doesn't feel remotely like The Dark Tower to me. As Fievel said, they've updated the time period for IT but otherwise it seems like they nailed the tone of the source material. Judging from the trailers, THE DARK TOWER movie has more in common with UNDERWORLD and BLADE than Stephen King's books.

Not to mention ripping off fuckin' STAR WARS like everyone else.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Peven on Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:36 pm

I think it might be a cool matinee popcorn flick for anyone who has no attachment to the books, we'll see, it could also be a big mess.....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:47 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:IT is definitely the King movie to see. I was pretty neutral on that one until I saw that clip of the kids shit-talking and then when I saw the trailer in front of ALIEN COVENANT and was genuinely creeped out (more so than I was watching ALIEN COVENANT).

This film just looks depressing from a fan-of-the-book point of view. It doesn't feel remotely like The Dark Tower to me. As Fievel said, they've updated the time period for IT but otherwise it seems like they nailed the tone of the source material. Judging from the trailers, THE DARK TOWER movie has more in common with UNDERWORLD and BLADE than Stephen King's books.

Not to mention ripping off fuckin' STAR WARS like everyone else.

i think this demonstrates the big problem with this film and property. there aren't enough hardcore fans of the series to justify the budget and long-term commitment it would require to faithfully adapt the series to film. but there is nothing original or interesting about this particular film from anything that's been shown so far. it seems like a film destined to disappoint both fans and non-fans alike. i predict a Golden Compass-style franchise-killing performance at the box office for this turd.

there is probably some universe somewhere where someone has managed to produce a high-quality, popular and relatively faithful version of this series (and if that universe does exist, it was almost certainly adapted as a GoT-style TV series). but when this film bombs, it's probably going to make the property toxic for another decade at least, before someone gets a chance to finally do it the right way.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:31 am

TheBaxter wrote:there is probably some universe somewhere where someone has managed to produce a high-quality, popular and relatively faithful version of this series (and if that universe does exist, it was almost certainly adapted as a GoT-style TV series). but when this film bombs, it's probably going to make the property toxic for another decade at least, before someone gets a chance to finally do it the right way.

I agree. Like GOT, I see no reason that The Dark Tower *can't* be adapted well and hit big, but that's the world we happen to live in. "When I kill, I kill with my heart." Deep, man.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:18 am

Going the television route seemed like a no-brainer from the beginning, seeing as The Dark Tower's strength is its characters, not all the fantasy weirdness and cool stuff like that. I come back to the series again and again because I love the characters. Every major conflict in the series stems from the characters and their relationships. The weakest stuff happens in the last three books because those are the most plot-heavy and finally get villains and an evil plan added to the mix. The problem is the villains aren't very interesting and their plan basically amounts to "we must destroy the universe because EVIL!" Those first four books (and specifically the first three) are so strong because it's this group of characters not really knowing where the hell they're going or what they're supposed to do when they get there and it's all about how they react to each situation they find themselves in and how they grow as people.

Film is not the route to go if you want to explore character. And that's what makes The Dark Tower so great. It's not the action scenes and gun battles (there are relatively few spread out across the series) or even the giant bears although that stuff is fun and awesome. But none of that means dick if you don't have interesting likable people to hang it on. That's why I find this whole project so damn depressing. It doesn't look like they're even attempting to nail these characters.

But hey, Roland shot some bullets at things and they ricocheted and that's cool or whatever.
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:52 pm

So this film apparently clocks in at a svelte 95 minutes. I'll bet at least 40 minutes will be dedicated to exposition (this includes villainous monologues), 30 minutes of action (including running), 15 minutes of meaningful character development (I'm being a tad charitable with this number), 5 minutes of panoramic landscape/effects shots, and 5 minutes of credits.

Anyone want to take any bets on Jake sacrificing himself for the greater good at the end so Roland can accept his purpose and duty to save the Tower?
caruso_stalker217

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:13 pm

that's nice of them. the movie is guaranteed to suck, but at least it will suck for 30-45 minutes less than the typical mega-epic-blockbuster adaptation.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:55 pm

There's no way this isn't going to be a disaster, is there?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:18 pm

TheBaxter wrote:that's nice of them. the movie is guaranteed to suck, but at least it will suck for 30-45 minutes less than the typical mega-epic-blockbuster adaptation.

There's your fuckin silver lining right there.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:31 pm

Ribbons wrote:There's no way this isn't going to be a disaster, is there?

Financially it may not be. Low budget, low running time meaning more screenings per day.

Biggest hit of the year. If Spiderman, that we've seen more amounts than there are spider's legs, can do it, so can an unknown movie based on a little known book starring an actor that has the wrong build and healthy look for the main character.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:21 am

Word is trickling in, and it's pretty "meh":

Variety:
Here’s what I saw. “The Dark Tower” has been plagued by tales of last-minute re-editing and multiple cooks in the kitchen, but the movie that’s come out of all this is no shambles. It aims low and hits (sort of). It’s a competent and watchable paranoid metaphysical video game that doesn’t overstay its welcome, includes some luridly entertaining visual effects, and — it has to be said — summons an emotional impact of close to zero.

The Hollywood Reporter:
Though far from the muddled train wreck we've been led to expect, this Tower lacks the world-constructing Punky Power of either the Tolkien books that inspired King or the franchise-launching movies that Sony execs surely have in mind. Though satisfying enough to please many casual moviegoers drawn in by King's name and stars Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey, it will likely disappoint many serious fans and leave other newbies underwhelmed.

Metro US:
King has inspired plenty of terrible movies before; we guesstimate the number at around 40 to 50. But “The Dark Tower” has to sting. The source is his passion project, his weirdo just-for-me lark. Begun in 1979, it’s a sci-fi/fantasy/horror/Western opus that, over seven novels and counting, presently runs a mere 35 words longer than Proust’s “In Search of Lost Time.” And after 10 years of development hell, King's baby has become a cut-rate failed franchise-starter, filled with unfinished-looking effects, murky lighting to disguise ugly sets and the world’s very first glimpse of what Matthew McConaughey looks like when he's bored.

Mashable:
It's clear there's supposed to be something rich and complicated here. There are allusions to King Arthur and golden days of yore and alternate-timeline dystopian futures. Or something like that, anyway. It's hard to be sure because this movie keeps tossing off intriguing tidbits and then just ... letting them hang there. The effect is akin to listening to someone describe a dream they had last night – it's full of sloppy and-then-this-happeneds and oh-right-did-I-forget-to-mentions. It's just as difficult to follow, and almost as boring.

Collider:
The costumes are bland. The production design is borderline non-existent. The few creatures we see are instantly forgettable and mostly shrouded in shadows as though the animators were embarrassed to have us see their work. For a story that should be brimming with imagination as it tells of a grand battle between good and evil, The Dark Tower is always playing small ball. Rather than plunge you into a strange environment, The Dark Tower wants to make no more than a whisper. Its opening title cards may tell you about the premise of the movie, but more appropriate cards would read along the lines of, “We’re so sorry you bought a ticket to this. It’s only 95 minutes. Please enjoy your popcorn and soda. Again, sorry.”
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:29 am

Ribbons wrote:Mashable:
It's clear there's supposed to be something rich and complicated here. There are allusions to King Arthur and golden days of yore and alternate-timeline dystopian futures. Or something like that, anyway. It's hard to be sure because this movie keeps tossing off intriguing tidbits and then just ... letting them hang there. The effect is akin to listening to someone describe a dream they had last night – it's full of sloppy and-then-this-happeneds and oh-right-did-I-forget-to-mentions. It's just as difficult to follow, and almost as boring.

Sounds like it's setting up to show a bigger world and involve it into the story at a later time. I saw that Susan Delgado is even in this. I maybe can see where their going with this film, introducing the world then streamlining these bits and bobs quick glimpses into a story later on, but from what I read it seems as if you have a problem of having so much of backstory and the rest of this world to show us and you're trying to do so some of it in one film and all that massive showroom of information is hard to crush and condense all in to a straight moving simple narrative arrow.

It's not easy to do. The Force Awakens had this problem and managed to do a understandable coherent job of it, albeit with a feeling that a few parts were missing maybe, and hehe I have that problem with my own shark film personally.

I'll giving this film the benefit of the doubt, I must, I must! :O

I HAVE AN OPEN MIND!
I HAVE AN OPEN MIND!
I HAVE AN OPEN MIND!
I HAVE AN OPEN MIND!
I HAVE AN OPEN MIND!
I HAVE AN OPEN MIND!
I HAVE AN OPEN MIND!

I HAVE AN OPEN MIIIIIYYYYYIIIIIIND! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:53 am

Variety AUGUST 1, 2017:
‘The Dark Tower’: Clashing Visions, Brutal Test Screenings Plagued Journey to Big Screen
BRENT LANG wrote:With millions of loyal readers and a fantastical setting, Stephen King’s “The Dark Tower” book series has tantalized Hollywood. The movie business is always on the prowl for the next “Lord of the Rings” or “Harry Potter.” King’s novels, about a mysterious gunslinger on a quest to save the universe, had the markings of a potential blockbuster.

However, getting the promising adaptation to the big screen took more than a decade and suffered several setbacks along the way, as one top director and screenwriter after another — including J.J. Abrams, who originally optioned the material — tried and failed to wrest the author’s eight-book opus into a workable film. After Universal Pictures scrapped plans to make a series of interconnected films and television shows with Ron Howard running point, Modi Wiczyk, co-founder of Media Rights Capital, set the project up under a co-financing deal with Sony Pictures.

In 2015, MRC and Sony jointly announced they had found a way into the story and tapped Nikolaj Arcel, the Oscar-nominated Danish filmmaker behind “A Royal Affair,” to direct the movie.

With “The Dark Tower” poised to debut this weekend, multiple sources told Variety that the creative process — particularly in post-production — was plagued with problems and clashing visions. Wiczyk and Sony Pictures chief Tom Rothman downplay any suggestion that the movie faced major hurdles.

But when Arcel delivered an early cut of the picture that alarmed Wiczyk and Rothman, they considered bringing in a more experienced filmmaker to recut it. While the two men deny this and insist their joint contribution was limited to giving the director notes, one insider said that Rothman spent hours in the editing bay offering his input.

Arcel seemed the ideal director on paper — “A Royal Affair” had earned an Oscar nomination and proved he could handle lavish spectacle, while his screenwriting work on “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo” demonstrated he could adapt beloved novels. Also, he was a big fan of King’s, enlisting his books to improve his English.

Arcel, however, had never worked on this complicated a project, and he found himself in over his head on the $66 million fantasy film, say several sources.

Three blind screenings last October, shown before final effects work had been completed, confirmed fears that the picture was a mess. Audiences at the test screenings couldn’t understand the mythology and rated the film poorly. A classic tale of good and evil, “The Dark Tower” stars Idris Elba as the last Gunslinger, who is locked in an eternal battle with a sorcerer known as the Man in Black, portrayed by Matthew McConaughey.

Sources say the companies ultimately opted not to enlist another filmmaker (one explained it would have been too costly), but the executives from the studios remained heavily involved. Ron Howard, a “Dark Tower” producer, who had hoped to direct the film when it was set up at Universal, advised Arcel on the music, and co-writer and producer Akiva Goldsman helped wrangle the film into shape.

Arcel insists he wasn’t sidelined.

“On a film with two studios and powerful producers, obviously there is much passionate creative debate on how to work certain ideas or beats,” he said. “But I felt supported throughout, and they all looked to me for answers. If someone had jumped into my editing room and taken over — I would have left instantly.”

Rothman and Wiczyk say they were impressed with Arcel’s work, with the Sony chief saying he “hopes to” collaborate with the director on future projects. Wiczyk also hit back at claims the film was troubled.

“We shot this on time and on budget,” he said. “We didn’t go over our schedule by even a day.” Calling his company “artist driven,” he added, “We would never marginalize or remove a director or dare to edit a film.”

Sources paint a more acrimonious picture of the production, one that was enabled by the unique nature of the deal that Sony struck with MRC — a pact that allowed competing power centers to emerge. The two companies split costs, and in return MRC was granted “kill rights” on everything from the marketing campaign to the final cut of the picture. If one company didn’t like a trailer or a cut of the film, it had to be scrapped, making it difficult to achieve consensus. It’s a rare type of partnership, with the kind of sign-off that few production companies enjoy. That led to a case of “too many cooks in the kitchen,” according to one insider. King also had a great deal of input. In return for the rights to his work, he retained veto approval of almost every aspect of the film.

Sony and MRC admit “The Dark Tower” defied easy translation. The books move forward and backward in time and reference multiple genres, from gangster films to Arthurian legends. It was a struggle to combine parts of several books into an 88-minute film that appeals to both King devotees and mainstream audiences.

Sony and MRC spent $6 million on reshoots to fill in more backstory about Elba’s character’s hatred for McConaughey’s Man in Black. In addition, to better familiarize audiences with Mid-World, the film’s magical setting, five minutes of exposition were cut and a new scene was shot to combine ideas that had been sprinkled throughout the picture.

Sony’s Rothman believes that the narrative complexity will ultimately help the film connect with audiences. “It’s a fantasy film and so yes, it’s complicated; it’s intricate and ambitious, but that’s a good thing because with the complexity of the stuff on television now, theater audiences want ambition,” he said.

On social media there’s been speculation about the quality of “The Dark Tower” given that the studio moved the picture premiere from February to July, only to push its release back by an additional week. Despite the mixed buzz, “The Dark Tower” is tracking to open in the mid-$20 million range. It also has the support of an important critic. In the novels, someone who acts dishonorably is said to have “forgotten the faces of his fathers.” After seeing the film, King sent Arcel an email praising him. “You have remembered the faces of your fathers,” he wrote.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion