The Dark Tower (TV Show Time!)

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with ???% more HBO!!!???)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:38 pm

Not exactly Dark Tower related, but my son was born today and since I'm a big fan (yooge!) we named him Roland Deschain after my favorite fictional character. The fact that it's the 19th today did not escape my attention.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9745
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with ???% more HBO!!!???)

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:46 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Not exactly Dark Tower related, but my son was born today and since I'm a big fan (yooge!) we named him Roland Deschain after my favorite fictional character. The fact that it's the 19th today did not escape my attention.



HEY CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


That's awesome news, Caruso, and is the best name ever. Nice work. Since you wont be sleeping for a few months you should start re-reading the whole series. :twisted:

Seriously dude, congrats, great news!
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17626
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby Ribbons on Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:49 pm

You can read it to your baby!
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13486
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:14 pm

I got up to The Waste Lands while he was still in the womb. And I'm taking a month off so I'll have oodles of time.

Oodles.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9745
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with ???% more HBO!!!???)

Postby so sorry on Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:37 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Not exactly Dark Tower related, but my son was born today and since I'm a big fan (yooge!) we named him Roland Deschain after my favorite fictional character. The fact that it's the 19th today did not escape my attention.



Cool!
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15194
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby Bloo on Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:19 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I got up to The Waste Lands while he was still in the womb. And I'm taking a month off so I'll have oodles of time.

Oodles.


I missed that it happened on the 19th
Image
User avatar
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN
 
Posts: 9660
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:26 pm
Location: Kansas, home of the Bacon Explosion

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:58 pm

I nerded out a bit about that.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9745
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with ???% more HBO!!!???)

Postby RaulMonkey on Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:09 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:Not exactly Dark Tower related, but my son was born today and since I'm a big fan (yooge!) we named him Roland Deschain after my favorite fictional character. The fact that it's the 19th today did not escape my attention.



HEY CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


That's awesome news, Caruso, and is the best name ever. Nice work. Since you wont be sleeping for a few months you should start re-reading the whole series. :twisted:

Seriously dude, congrats, great news!


Good wishes to you and the Missus, and happy belated b-day to Roland!
Image
User avatar
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR
 
Posts: 3396
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:12 am
Location: YYC

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby Fievel on Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:46 pm

Congrats caruso!
Whether this begins your ka-tet or completes it, best wishes to all of you!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11884
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:22 am

All those that said Idris Elba should play James Bond only have yourself to blame...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/73950

Happy 10 Year Zone Anniversary, Wankers.
User avatar
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower
 
Posts: 16419
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 am

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby Fievel on Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:28 am

Put McConnaghey as Roland and Elba as Mwrtin/Man in Black/Flagg and I'd be happy as could be.
But Elba as Roland is just wrong. First, he doesn't look at all like Eastwood. Second, it would ruin the entire relationship between Roland and Detta.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11884
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby RaulMonkey on Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:20 am

Fievel wrote:Put McConnaghey as Roland and Elba as Mwrtin/Man in Black/Flagg and I'd be happy as could be.
But Elba as Roland is just wrong. First, he doesn't look at all like Eastwood. Second, it would ruin the entire relationship between Roland and Detta.


And some different stuff going on wandering the streets of New York (in any of the decades he does) and having run-ins with the po-po.

He'd be fine though. The gunslingers of that world have become studly, and lax.
Image
User avatar
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR
 
Posts: 3396
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:12 am
Location: YYC

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:45 pm

Fievel wrote:Put McConnaghey as Roland and Elba as Mwrtin/Man in Black/Flagg and I'd be happy as could be.
But Elba as Roland is just wrong. First, he doesn't look at all like Eastwood. Second, it would ruin the entire relationship between Roland and Detta.


they can always make Detta Korean.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18428
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby Fievel on Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:17 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Fievel wrote:Put McConnaghey as Roland and Elba as Mwrtin/Man in Black/Flagg and I'd be happy as could be.
But Elba as Roland is just wrong. First, he doesn't look at all like Eastwood. Second, it would ruin the entire relationship between Roland and Detta.


they can always make Detta Korean.


No..... because then she's always be trying to eat Oy!

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11884
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:04 pm

It seems like every day I have a new reason to hate this fucking train wreck of a project even more.

For fuck's sake.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9745
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:01 pm

Fievel wrote:No..... because then she's always be trying to eat Oy!



who wouldn't want to eat this?
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18428
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby RaulMonkey on Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:52 pm

I think the casting of Elba if it goes forward will be used as a way to justify changes to the story, like the alternate timeline in Abrams' Trek.

Which is fair enough--there'll have to be changes. That goes without saying on any project, but especially this one as it gets into the meta-aspects of the later books.

I guess they could go super literal and have the movie characters realize that they're characters in a book... which they're not... but I'm excited by the idea of not knowing what's going to happen all the way through. This is a whole different turning of ka's wheel.

This is like when Halloran took the axe to chest, and you knew The Shining wasn't gonna end the same. They're putting the axe into white Roland NOW.
Image
User avatar
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR
 
Posts: 3396
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:12 am
Location: YYC

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:12 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:It seems like every day I have a new reason to hate this fucking train wreck of a project even more.

For fuck's sake.


Glad I'm not the only one. Sometimes I feel so close to severing friendships in regards to people who hypocritically think this casting is a good idea.
User avatar
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower
 
Posts: 16419
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 am

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:40 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:It seems like every day I have a new reason to hate this fucking train wreck of a project even more.

For fuck's sake.


Glad I'm not the only one. Sometimes I feel so close to severing friendships in regards to people who hypocritically think this casting is a good idea.


you have friends? :shock:
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18428
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:55 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:It seems like every day I have a new reason to hate this fucking train wreck of a project even more.

For fuck's sake.


Glad I'm not the only one. Sometimes I feel so close to severing friendships in regards to people who hypocritically think this casting is a good idea.


you have friends? :shock:


If this saves the wheelchair on the beach pushing for a quarter of a book then I'm all in.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen
 
Posts: 6031
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:26 am
Location: Shanghizzo

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby Fievel on Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:47 am

But that's how she rolls!


I said that's how she rolls.


Because her chair...it rolls....and it achieves this by the guys pushing her....

......how she rolls.


Fuck this, I'm going to get some pancakes.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11884
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:43 am

I was excited about this project, then dubious, then wrote it off, then kinda excited again, and then I didn't care anymore.

I've come around to the idea that The Dark Tower isn't adaptable in any satisfying way. It isn't about Elba or any of the other casting, it's about how deliciously bizarre much of this story is, and how completely it must be synthesized, shortened, dumbed down and mass produced to make it to screen. I have 0 faith at this point that this is adaptable. This is one of those projects that is a lot more fun to talk and speculate about than to actually watch.

By doing this, I can divorce myself of the source material and maybe the film(s)/TV shows will be enjoyable without the comparison. It happened for me with World War Z and some other things. And if it happens to be fun it will be a nice surprise. But regardless, I don't think it will be The Dark Tower as I know it.
Image
User avatar
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked
 
Posts: 17626
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:18 pm
Location: Pasture next to the Red Barn

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby justcheckin on Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:50 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:I was excited about this project, then dubious, then wrote it off, then kinda excited again, and then I didn't care anymore.

I've come around to the idea that The Dark Tower isn't adaptable in any satisfying way. It isn't about Elba or any of the other casting, it's about how deliciously bizarre much of this story is, and how completely it must be synthesized, shortened, dumbed down and mass produced to make it to screen. I have 0 faith at this point that this is adaptable. This is one of those projects that is a lot more fun to talk and speculate about than to actually watch.

By doing this, I can divorce myself of the source material and maybe the film(s)/TV shows will be enjoyable without the comparison. It happened for me with World War Z and some other things. And if it happens to be fun it will be a nice surprise. But regardless, I don't think it will be The Dark Tower as I know it.


I feel the same way. It'll be fun because I enjoy the story and also because it'll be fun to see how others interpret it.
User avatar
justcheckin
AIRWOLF
 
Posts: 2742
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:37 am
Location: Down the street, take a left.

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby RaulMonkey on Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:44 pm

Sometimes the noblest thing an adaptor can do is acknowledge the impossibility of the task through what they're doing.

One of my favourite novels of all time is Leonard Cohen's "Beautiful Losers." Written in 1964, and still no one has dared put it to film. But local performance company One Yellow Rabbit attempted a stage adaptation...

Ultimately it became a piece called "Doing Leonard Cohen," where the first act was dance interpretations of a variety of his songs, and Act Two was an adaptation of maybe the first two-thirds of "Beautiful Losers," done in such a way that it didn't feel cut-off or abrupt.

Technically they left out the "best" parts of the book, but I think they realized through their process that there was little they could do with those more esoteric sections on stage, without detracting from their original power and end up just faffing about. They had enough respect for and understanding of the book to know when to quit.

I had a great time at the theatre, having had a new experience with these artists who loved the book as much as me. And I left happy that my memories of my experience with the book felt unmolested by a third party, trying to recreate those personal moments and tie themselves up with them forever.
Image
User avatar
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR
 
Posts: 3396
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:12 am
Location: YYC

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:24 am

justcheckin wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:I was excited about this project, then dubious, then wrote it off, then kinda excited again, and then I didn't care anymore.

I've come around to the idea that The Dark Tower isn't adaptable in any satisfying way. It isn't about Elba or any of the other casting, it's about how deliciously bizarre much of this story is, and how completely it must be synthesized, shortened, dumbed down and mass produced to make it to screen. I have 0 faith at this point that this is adaptable. This is one of those projects that is a lot more fun to talk and speculate about than to actually watch.

By doing this, I can divorce myself of the source material and maybe the film(s)/TV shows will be enjoyable without the comparison. It happened for me with World War Z and some other things. And if it happens to be fun it will be a nice surprise. But regardless, I don't think it will be The Dark Tower as I know it.


I feel the same way. It'll be fun because I enjoy the story and also because it'll be fun to see how others interpret it.


Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but I can't imagine any "fun" to be had with a Dark Tower adaptation. I don't believe there is any way to do the story justice, or any way to actually adapt it without a complete overhaul which makes me wonder how much of the original story (and most importantly the characters) would even be left. Plus, there's no way in hell this ever gets an R-rating which might not mean much to a lot of people but is pretty much a dealbreaker for me.

I've been a fan of the series ever since I took my first crack at The Gunslinger when I was eight. I am a Dark Tower purist. This is my Lord of the Rings. I'm the guy sitting in the aisle seat, fourth row who stands up after the movie is over and yells "WHERE THE FUCK WAS TOM BOMBADIL??"

There is basically no fucking way I'm going to enjoy this thing, no matter how well it's made or how noble the filmmakers' intentions are.

I doubt they're going to adapt this very faithfully. Most people have never read these books. Hell, most people have never heard of these books. Their best bet is to water this down as much as they can to reach the widest audience possible. They certainly don't care what someone like me thinks. It doesn't matter if I sit this one out. I'm a drop in the bucket and my opinion doesn't matter at all. And shit, I'll probably end up watching it anyway just out of morbid curiosity, so they might as well just make this Dark Tower-in-name-only.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9745
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:06 pm

look at the bright side. by the time this thing actually gets made, your son will probably be old enough that they'll cast HIM as Roland. and by then you'll be so old and senile you'll actually think it's a good movie.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18428
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:05 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
justcheckin wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:I was excited about this project, then dubious, then wrote it off, then kinda excited again, and then I didn't care anymore.

I've come around to the idea that The Dark Tower isn't adaptable in any satisfying way. It isn't about Elba or any of the other casting, it's about how deliciously bizarre much of this story is, and how completely it must be synthesized, shortened, dumbed down and mass produced to make it to screen. I have 0 faith at this point that this is adaptable. This is one of those projects that is a lot more fun to talk and speculate about than to actually watch.

By doing this, I can divorce myself of the source material and maybe the film(s)/TV shows will be enjoyable without the comparison. It happened for me with World War Z and some other things. And if it happens to be fun it will be a nice surprise. But regardless, I don't think it will be The Dark Tower as I know it.


I feel the same way. It'll be fun because I enjoy the story and also because it'll be fun to see how others interpret it.


Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but I can't imagine any "fun" to be had with a Dark Tower adaptation. I don't believe there is any way to do the story justice, or any way to actually adapt it without a complete overhaul which makes me wonder how much of the original story (and most importantly the characters) would even be left. Plus, there's no way in hell this ever gets an R-rating which might not mean much to a lot of people but is pretty much a dealbreaker for me.

I've been a fan of the series ever since I took my first crack at The Gunslinger when I was eight. I am a Dark Tower purist. This is my Lord of the Rings. I'm the guy sitting in the aisle seat, fourth row who stands up after the movie is over and yells "WHERE THE FUCK WAS TOM BOMBADIL??"

There is basically no fucking way I'm going to enjoy this thing, no matter how well it's made or how noble the filmmakers' intentions are.

I doubt they're going to adapt this very faithfully. Most people have never read these books. Hell, most people have never heard of these books. Their best bet is to water this down as much as they can to reach the widest audience possible. They certainly don't care what someone like me thinks. It doesn't matter if I sit this one out. I'm a drop in the bucket and my opinion doesn't matter at all. And shit, I'll probably end up watching it anyway just out of morbid curiosity, so they might as well just make this Dark Tower-in-name-only.


What do you think of Idris being cast?
User avatar
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower
 
Posts: 16419
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:49 am

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:40 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:
justcheckin wrote:
Lord Voldemoo wrote:I was excited about this project, then dubious, then wrote it off, then kinda excited again, and then I didn't care anymore.

I've come around to the idea that The Dark Tower isn't adaptable in any satisfying way. It isn't about Elba or any of the other casting, it's about how deliciously bizarre much of this story is, and how completely it must be synthesized, shortened, dumbed down and mass produced to make it to screen. I have 0 faith at this point that this is adaptable. This is one of those projects that is a lot more fun to talk and speculate about than to actually watch.

By doing this, I can divorce myself of the source material and maybe the film(s)/TV shows will be enjoyable without the comparison. It happened for me with World War Z and some other things. And if it happens to be fun it will be a nice surprise. But regardless, I don't think it will be The Dark Tower as I know it.


I feel the same way. It'll be fun because I enjoy the story and also because it'll be fun to see how others interpret it.


Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but I can't imagine any "fun" to be had with a Dark Tower adaptation. I don't believe there is any way to do the story justice, or any way to actually adapt it without a complete overhaul which makes me wonder how much of the original story (and most importantly the characters) would even be left. Plus, there's no way in hell this ever gets an R-rating which might not mean much to a lot of people but is pretty much a dealbreaker for me.

I've been a fan of the series ever since I took my first crack at The Gunslinger when I was eight. I am a Dark Tower purist. This is my Lord of the Rings. I'm the guy sitting in the aisle seat, fourth row who stands up after the movie is over and yells "WHERE THE FUCK WAS TOM BOMBADIL??"

There is basically no fucking way I'm going to enjoy this thing, no matter how well it's made or how noble the filmmakers' intentions are.

I doubt they're going to adapt this very faithfully. Most people have never read these books. Hell, most people have never heard of these books. Their best bet is to water this down as much as they can to reach the widest audience possible. They certainly don't care what someone like me thinks. It doesn't matter if I sit this one out. I'm a drop in the bucket and my opinion doesn't matter at all. And shit, I'll probably end up watching it anyway just out of morbid curiosity, so they might as well just make this Dark Tower-in-name-only.


What do you think of Idris being cast?


I like him, but not for this.

I'm more interested in the "Babylon 5" guy he's playing in STAR TREK AGAIN.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9745
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:39 pm

These latest developments have me feeling a little ill. Kinda like someone is pissing and shitting in my mouth at the same time.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9745
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:33 am

look at it this way.... whatever this project is, it's not the dark tower. it's something new, different, and as best i can tell, completely unrelated to the dark tower series in any way. all they need is a new title, something like The Cark Tower, to properly set it apart and put it in context
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18428
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby Ribbons on Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:26 pm

The Shmark Shmower?

Is there no love interest in the series, really? Because it sounds like they're trying to shoehorn this character into that role. I will totally read these books someday.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13486
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:26 pm

Ribbons wrote:The Shmark Shmower?

Is there no love interest in the series, really? Because it sounds like they're trying to shoehorn this character into that role. I will totally read these books someday.


In Book Four. But that's really more of a prequel, so they'll probably just skip it. Although Roland gets laid a few times throughout the series, he really only has a hard-on for the Tower.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9745
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:33 pm

My son's reaction to this latest bit of casting.
Image
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9745
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby Fievel on Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:42 pm

The Tower is his penis.

I'm beyond curious to know what the deal is with this casting and Tirana character. I've done the whole series twice and still had to look up the character. I do not remember her at all. Maybe they're going to make her a play toy for The Man In Black? A Harley Quinn to his Joker? I just don't get it.

Maybe they're just casting far ahead and all out of order. Maybe John Cullum is next. Then Sylva Pitson. Then Aaron Deepneau, Balazar, Tick Tock Man, Jake, Calvin Tower, Mordred, Callahan, Jack Mort, Eddie's Drugs, Blaine the Mono, Eddie Dean.......yeah, the casting is going about right.....
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11884
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Fievel wrote:The Tower is his penis.


that would explain the casting of Idris Elba.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18428
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby Al Shut on Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:38 pm

On a side note I was looking up Anders Thomas Jensen and saw that he was listed as a writer for this.

Suddenly I'm interested.
Image
User avatar
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER
 
Posts: 6133
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:57 pm
Location: Oberhausen, Germany

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:46 pm

Al Shut wrote:On a side note I was looking up Anders Thomas Jensen and saw that he was listed as a writer for this.

Suddenly I'm interested.


I don't know who that is, but anyone who isn't Akiva Goldsman is a step in the right direction.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9745
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby Fievel on Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:56 pm

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11884
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:17 pm

i'm trying to keep an open mind. i'm going into this thing pretty much the same way as i did for the Hobbit: it might be great, it might be terrible, it might fall somewhere in between, but whatever this ends up being, i'm pretty sure it won't be The Dark Tower. let's just hope things turn out better than they did for Hobbit.

i guess it helps that i'm not a huge DT fan. i've read the whole series through, once. never read the comics or spin-offs, still haven't read wind and the keyhole. so i can roll with some changes pretty easily.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18428
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby Fievel on Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:10 pm

I'm just having fun watching the internet blow up at black Roland. I can't help but think of the scene from Lethal Weapon 2...... but imagine the dialogue being changed to "Listen to the fans.... Idris Elba can't be Roland........ because he's black."


Fuck 'em. Elba's gonna crush it. They're going to rework the story so there's plenty of new things happening between Roland and Detta. It'll be new, no one will know what's coming.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11884
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:02 pm

Two words: Akiva Goldsman.

With that hack onboard I'm keeping my expectations where they belong. In the fucking basement.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9745
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby Fievel on Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:05 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Two words: Akiva Goldsman.

With that hack onboard I'm keeping my expectations where they belong. In the fucking basement.



His draft is done and apparently revised, says Quint:

Arcel said that a good amount of the movie will take place in our world, which set off warning bells in my head. Not because it's a bad idea, but that's what Akiva Goldsman's draft did. Sure enough, later in the interview they state that Goldsman's script became the foundation for this new film.

The word I've heard is that there was a heavy, heavy rewrite when Arcel came on (and it needed it), but it sounds like the structure of Goldsman's draft has remained intact. I have read Goldman's script and maybe I'll do a more in-depth review soon... not necessarily a spoiler-filled transcription of what happens in it, but more a walk through of my fears and doubts about what could be brought over.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11884
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:09 pm

You can certainly polish a turd.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9745
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:31 am

Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18428
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby Fievel on Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:02 am

Jake Has Been Cast!

Wow. They best get filming ASAP......because Ka's a bitch and that kid's gonna age!!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11884
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:15 am

I don't know about the kid's acting abilities, but that looks like Jake to me.

I've actually started to become slightly less pessimistic toward this project for some reason, although I'm pretty sure they'll fuck up Susannah's character.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9745
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:23 am

i thought for sure they'd go with Jaden Smith
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18428
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:24 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:Two words: Akiva Goldsman.

With that hack onboard I'm keeping my expectations where they belong. In the fucking basement.

It could be an adaptation of The Dark Tower, as written by someone who's only ever read the Wikipedia synopses.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13884
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby Fievel on Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:35 pm

‘Vikings’ Star Katheryn Winnick Joins ‘The Dark Tower’

Interesting news.
-I love Vikings, and she's pretty good in the show.
-who will she play in the Dark Tower? Race-reversal continuing with her as Odetta/Detta/Susannah? I actually hope this is the plan. Seems much too old for Susan. Roland's mom?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11884
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: The Dark Tower (Now with Baby Roland!)

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:10 am

Quint suggested she could be playing a character from the script he read named Jill, a henchperson for The Man In Black.

You know, like in the books.
Image
User avatar
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY
 
Posts: 9745
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:03 pm
Location: Oregon, US of A

PreviousNext

Return to Movie Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron