Scorsese's Sinatra (Now w/ ??% More Depp)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Scorsese's Sinatra (Now w/ ??% More Depp)

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:53 am

Scorcese always seems to me to have have a genuine interest, love, and addicition for his subject matter - so I would hope he continues to choose the likes of AVIATOR over, say, another biopic on someone more obvious - like Hemingway for example.

I'd love it if he picked someone like that, only more obscure. Someone whose story has not been widely told - and then gave it that epic treatment, fatal character flaws included of course.
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:58 am

He was gonna do that biopic on Sinatra or someone from the Rat Pack, weren't he? He was at one time gonna do a film about Giorgio Armani or one of those fashion guys. Boooooorrrriiiiiiiiinnnnnngggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:59 am

Doc Holliday wrote:I'd love it if he picked someone like that, only more obscure. Someone whose story has not been widely told - and then gave it that epic treatment, fatal character flaws included of course.

Nikola Tesla springs to mind. If ever a film biography should be made of someone, it's this forgotten genius.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:04 am

HollywoodBabylon wrote:Nikola Tesla springs to mind. If ever a film biography should be made of someone, it's this forgotten genius.

There's been a lot of hype and revisionism about Tesla in recent years, and particularly surrounding Bowie's dashing turn in the Prestige, but still I really like this idea.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:08 am

Thanks Kirk - and that is interesting......

*prepares to fly into face of own earlier post*

...for whilst Sinatra isn't exactly obscure, I would be interested in a Scorsese story about him.

Its certainly one of those stories that's so much larger than life you really don't need to make much up about it to make a movie tha people want to see and will keep them entertained at the same time.

I've only ever seen a couple of movies about Sinatra - the latest being that made-for-TV 'THE RAT PACK' flick with Ray Liotta.

And that's a good example - because it was enjoyable enough, but all the way through I felt I was only really being told the best bits about Sinatra, because he's like quasi-royalty. I'd like to see a warts-and-all depiction - a more honest account not only of the man's many high points, but also of his weaknesses, his darker side too, in doggedley pursuing an acting career and the toes that got stood on along the way.

A fully fleshed out realisation of Sinatra would be fascinating - one of those few films that genuinely should run to 3 hours or beyond. And right now, I just can't think of anyone who in the context of a true biopic, could bring that RAT PACK vibe to the big screen.

The first person to bleat "Steven Soderbergh" gets shot, btw.
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:10 am

Yeah but would he dare to tell the truth about Sinara's gangster connections!?!?

Ooowww nooooo!! Another gangster movie!! What have I said!!!??? It really WILL be done!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:14 am

HAHAHAHAHA! YES! Of course! Dammit - he's tricked us all.

It'll be three hours of Joe Pesci playing Sinatra's never-before-heard-of mob connection, losing it in ever decreasing circles of lunacy and beating people to death with Frankie's microphone stand, before getting whacked himself.

As the film ends, prior to credits, will be a few paragraphs reading "Frank Sinatra went on to sell xxxxx singles and star in xxx movies. To this day his mob connections have never been formally acknowledged."

Whilst Gimme shelter plays in the background.

Again.
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:41 am

tapehead wrote:
HollywoodBabylon wrote:Nikola Tesla springs to mind. If ever a film biography should be made of someone, it's this forgotten genius.

There's been a lot of hype and revisionism about Tesla in recent years, and particularly surrounding Bowie's dashing turn in the Prestige, but still I really like this idea.

Yes, Tesla's a controversial figure all right. It really does depend which side of the fence you come down on. But his life story, ideas and legacy would make a fascinating movie and I'm pretty surprised no one's yet attempted it.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby tapehead on Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:46 am

True, but you could say the same for Edison, Henry Ford and a lot of other significant important 'pre-modern' giants.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Re: Scorsese's Sinatra (Now w/ ??% More Depp)

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Sat May 16, 2009 6:46 am

Universal, the studio behind Martin Scorsese's recently announced Frank Sinatra biopic, has put Johnny Depp at the top of its wish list of actors to play Ol' Blue Eyes, according to Deadline Hollywood Daily. Scorsese had reportedly been eyeing longtime collaborator Leonardo DiCaprio (Gangs of New York, The Aviator, The Departed) for the lead role. But now that the Universal-produced period-heist picture Public Enemies, starring Depp and Christian Bale, looks like a potential winner, the studio is eager to line up Depp's next high-profile project. Universal would neither confirm or deny the report; and Depp's rep says it's untrue.

Anybody else excited about this? My thinking on Depp playing The Chairman of the Board is sure, why the Hell not? The guy is a first rate mimic. For the longest time there you never heard his real accent in a film.

Who else do you think would be a good Frank?

Thoughts?
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat May 16, 2009 12:35 pm

Chrishte almighty, not Depp. I thought that was a joke or a silly internet geek rumour that Scorsese woulda scoffed at. Yeah, hire Depp because he really looks like that guy, doesn't he? Chrishte almighty. I thought the suggestion of Mark Whalberg by Harry was bad enough.

Is there NO imagination left in castings anymore? Can we stop name dropping the biggest or last read names we've seen when it comes to castings please? There's a million actors and different faces in the world, loads of whom are talented enough. If we can't think of an actor a for a role, then don't say anything, please, but stop suggesting any ol' big name actor for a role just 'cos he's a good or famous actor or who only bares a slight resemblance to the character to be played. Don't forget also that some of these actors come with too much baggage and ultimately STEAL from the character, so instead of an actor becoming the character, the character becomes the actor. Not so much a case of Johnny Depp IS Frank Sinatra, but Frank Sinatra IS Johnny Depp. Let's just watch and admire Johnny Depp in how he does this or how he does that, and let's have X character that he is playing, in this case, Frank Sinatra, just take 2nd place. That's not what acting is about. Acting is about not SEEING the actor, but seeing the character oh I just give up.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat May 16, 2009 12:40 pm

Oh and this movie sounds boring anyway. Ever since I heard it suggested ages ago. For 1, it's a singer biopic and they mostly are generally boring to me, no matter how well done they are. Number 2, it's Scorsese doing another 'film' or 'movie' which is just another sophisticated documentary and doesn't really touch me. Ever feel like doing a movie which at least uses a film Composer you fark? Not a soundtrack!? gentleman.

Plus as Scorsese just LOVES Gangsters first thing in the morning on a sunny day, you just KNOW that he will take Frank's side and show him as a 'Good Guy' when it comes to his involvement with the Mob. Marty will probably make he Mob look 'nice' guys anyway. You know, 'Good fellas'. Fucking Wanker.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Sat May 16, 2009 12:43 pm

I actually agree with you 100% but the sad reality is Scorsese may even want an unknown(probably not), but in the end it's gonna be an A-List guy.
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sat May 16, 2009 12:50 pm

That's the bloody suits for ya. I heard a rumour that Scorsee at least wanted Christian Slater for The Aviator but the heads wanted Leonardo. (I also heard a rumour from the set of Gulliver's Travels that George Clooney actually is Dumbledore too!) Seems that Scorsese dances for them - DiCaprio! Dicaprio!! Dicaprio!!! Whereas Coppola didn't. And look where that got him - JACK! Thought that a director with clout as Scorsee could have fended them off and maintained his artistic integrity.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Sat May 16, 2009 4:42 pm

May as well get Jason Statham. Hmmm.....................
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby minstrel on Sat May 16, 2009 4:54 pm

Ray Liotta did Frank in the HBO film "The Rat Pack", and did a good job. And he's worked with Scorsese before in Goodfellas. Why not Liotta?
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sat May 16, 2009 9:15 pm

What about...

William H. Macy as J.F.K.
Robert Downey Jr. as Sammy Davis Jr.
George Clooney as Dean Martin
Nicholas Cage as Peter Lawford
Kevin Spacey as Joey Bishop
Featuring Jim Carey as Jerry Lewis

Actually, I think i'll pass.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Sun May 17, 2009 7:37 am

King Of Nowhere wrote:What about...

Nicholas Cage as Peter Lawford

I think your on to something there :lol:
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby King Of Nowhere on Sun May 17, 2009 11:49 am

I think Depp will be off somewhere with Gilliam, trying to finish The Man Who Killed Don Quiote.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed May 20, 2009 7:23 am

I don't know that much about Frank Sinatra. Did he live an extraordinary life? Was he likeable? Was he even interesting? For some reason I have the general impression that the answer to those questions is no. So watching a movie about a spoiled thuggy brat strut around in full ostentatiousness with a bunch of other actors doing impressions of other famous people doesn't really appeal to me.

For me biopics have to be about interesting person, it doesn't matter if they wrote songs I like or not. I could watch a good biopic about somebody who's art I didn't appreciate and still enjoy the film.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Fievel on Wed May 20, 2009 8:28 am

Harry Connick Jr. please.
Last edited by Fievel on Wed May 20, 2009 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed May 20, 2009 8:38 am

Spandau Belly wrote:I don't know that much about Frank Sinatra. Did he live an extraordinary life? Was he likeable? Was he even interesting? For some reason I have the general impression that the answer to those questions is no. So watching a movie about a spoiled thuggy brat strut around in full ostentatiousness with a bunch of other actors doing impressions of other famous people doesn't really appeal to me.

I've read two Sinatra biopics, and the answer is yes, he lead a very interesting life. And beyond just the banging of every startlet in hollywood for 2 decades. And with Scorcese at the helm, I'm pretty excited about the whole affair.

But I hate the idea of Depp for Old Blue Eyes. Enough with Depp already. I wish Marty would go with a relative unknown. I heard one name mentioned that really intruiged me: James Franco. He's got the look, and his acting chops have grown by leaps and bounds over a few short years.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Wed May 20, 2009 8:58 am

And I'd rather see Depp, DiCrapio,, or even Kevin James than this guy.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed May 20, 2009 9:00 am

Fievel wrote:And I'd rather see Depp, DiCrapio,, or even Kevin James than this guy.

:shock: What the fuck?!?!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Wed May 20, 2009 9:40 am

Fievel wrote:And I'd rather see Depp, DiCrapio,, or even Kevin James than this guy.

God, I hate Jamie Foxx
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby so sorry on Wed May 20, 2009 10:00 am

Chris a.k.a StuntMike wrote:

God, I hate Jamie Foxx

Well, I don't share the Jamie hate, but I certainly hate the thought of him for this role.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Top 10 Actors Who Could Portray Frank Sinatra

Postby MattsMovieReviews on Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:18 am

Counting down Matt's Movie Reviews Top Ten actors who could portray Frank Sinatra in Martin Scorsese's upcomng biopic.

http://www.mattsmoviereviews.net/topten%20sinatra.html
MattsMovieReviews
GLIB

Re: Top 10 Actos Who Could Portray Frank Sinatra

Postby minstrel on Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:08 pm

I already pointed out that Ray Liotta has already done it, and done it well. The actor doesn't have to sing; you can get someone to overdub the song vocals. Also, Liotta has worked with Scorsese before, so there should be some comfort there.
minstrel

Re: Top 10 Actors Who Could Portray Frank Sinatra

Postby Fievel on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:02 pm

Ray doesn't look much like he did 10 years ago, though.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby travis-dane on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:05 pm

Robbie Williams.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby minstrel on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:20 pm

Fievel wrote:Ray doesn't look much like he did 10 years ago, though.

Neither does Sinatra.
minstrel

Postby John-Locke on Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:28 pm

I actually think the original posters idea of James Marsden is rather a good one, he certainly looks the most like Sinatra (it's not bang on but it's close enough).
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby travis-dane on Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:30 pm

minstrel wrote:
Fievel wrote:Ray doesn't look much like he did 10 years ago, though.

Neither does Sinatra.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby TheButcher on Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:56 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby minstrel on Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:04 pm

I can't believe anybody is considering DiCaprio for Sinatra. I don't know if he can sing a note, but even if they use a stunt-singer (which they will), his speaking voice is TOTALLY unlike Sinatra! Leo's a tenor, Frank was a baritone, and a pretty big and deep one. No offense to Leo, but he'd come off as the flimsiest, weakest Frank imaginable! Like a ten-year-old boy playing a grown man. I don't see it at all.

Depp would be a far more convincing choice.
minstrel

Postby The Vicar on Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:59 pm

I don't want to sound racist, but are they aware Frank was a cracker?
To be fair, I was against Kevin Spacey playing Ray Charles, so save the "That's Racist" gif for later...... :wink:
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby minstrel on Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:14 pm

The Vicar wrote:To be fair, I was against Kevin Spacey playing Ray Charles, so save the "That's Racist" gif for later...... :wink:

Yeah, Spacey was a bad choice for Ray Charles. Nick Nolte was a much better idea. :wink:
minstrel

Postby The Vicar on Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:18 pm

minstrel wrote:
The Vicar wrote:To be fair, I was against Kevin Spacey playing Ray Charles, so save the "That's Racist" gif for later...... :wink:

Yeah, Spacey was a bad choice for Ray Charles. Nick Nolte was a much better idea. :wink:

Ah man...I'd have paid to see that.
With the sound off, maybe, but I'd watch.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:02 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:22 am

Yeah, Depp, DiCaprio, Foxx (fucking pardon?) are all terrible choices for Sinatra you need someone who's a charming motherfucker, like Depp but can also get to the pretty ruthless, bullying philanderer under the surface - I don't think Depp can exhibit that sort of casual cruelty, DiCaprio could probably do it - his work in Shutter Island is good evidence of the guy's darkside but I don't think he has the physicality that Sinatra had. Weirdly Foxx would be the best of those 3 except for him y'know not being the same colour as a non fictional almost contemporary person well known for his, shall we say ambivalent attitude to black people.
I don't like Franco for this either and Jon Hamm is too WASPy. Andy Garcia is too old now so maybe.... Guy Pearce?
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby SilentScream on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:54 am

DeCaprio as Sinatra?
Please, be serious. I quite like Leo but in no way, shape or form can I see see him as ole blue eyes (ok, yes he has the eyes).
Franco?
Maybe he could capture the swagger, but again it's a miscast for me.

Two people spring to mind. Ryan Gosling, because at least he has a half-decent singing voice and the versatility ,I think, to 'get' Sinatra. But I have a sneaky regard for Joseph Gordon Levitt. I just think he could pull it out of the bag.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:58 am

Like both choices, SilentScream - prefer Levitt but he feels a bit too young at the moment so will say Gosling is the way forward.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:09 am

I still cry myself to sleep over Christian Bale not performing as Anakin as he was rumoured to be in Ep2, so why not he? Could help him exorcise some demons too, although I doubt working with Scorsese could in anyway be counted as therapy.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:32 am

Bale as Frank Sinatra? Very very nice, MM.
TonyWilson

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:15 pm

they really missed their chance with this, now that phil hartman is dead.
hmmm, what is joe piscopo doing these days?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby minstrel on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:39 pm

Gary Oldman. He can play anybody.
(I'm only half kidding.)

Tell me again why everybody keeps suggesting Christian Bale for every single role in the entire universe?
minstrel

Postby Bloo on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:41 pm

minstrel wrote:Gary Oldman. He can play anybody.
(I'm only half kidding.)

Tell me again why everybody keeps suggesting Christian Bale for every single role in the entire universe?

because, he's a fucking professional ;)
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby SilentScream on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:52 pm

Bloo wrote:
(I'm only half kidding.)

because, he's a fucking professional ;)

And because he is a right lardy arse himself he could perfectly capture the scuminess aspect that undoubtedly Ole Blue Eyes had. And how about Robert Downey Junr as Dino? That's Amore!
Last edited by SilentScream on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:25 pm

Downey Jnr as Dean Martin needs to happen, And howsabout Don Cheadle reprises his role as Sammy Davis Jnr from the Rat Pack movie with Liotta as Sinatra? Then we get Adam Sandler as Joey Bishop, Someone Not Well Known so cheap as Peter Lawford and Jim Carrey as Jerry Lewis. ... Bah! Rubbish.
TonyWilson

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:18 pm

(I'm only half kidding.)

yeah, seriously. you people have no imagination, suggesting christian bale all the time for all these roles.

that is why i think the choice is obvious: viggo mortensen.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Next

Return to Movie News