Death at a funeral Trailer Starring Martin Lawrence

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Death at a funeral Trailer Starring Martin Lawrence

Postby brizz on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:29 pm

brizz
GLIB

Re: Death at a funeral Trailer Starring Martin Lawrence

Postby DennisMM on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:09 pm

That just seemed like any other "throw a bunch of people together in a stressful situation" comedy. Then I saw the words, "Directed by Neil LaBute."

Really? Seriously?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby The Vicar on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:17 pm

This was a lot funnier when Frank Oz directed it all the way back in 2007, fer fuck's sake. Lots of English types, a dwarf and Alan Tudyk ( Firefly). Being remade already? Not even waiting for the body to get cold these days.....
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby DennisMM on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:39 pm

Two years later they remake a Brit film for an American audience? That may be a record. Why go black on it, though? Is that somehow funnier?
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby magicmonkey on Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:56 pm

I'm tracking down the Frank Oz version, I'd totally forgotten about it - I think I read about it on the site too. This does looks pretty amusing though also - shouldn't Chris Rock be top billing?
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Seppuku on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:04 am

DennisMM wrote:Two years later they remake a Brit film for an American audience? That may be a record. Why go black on it, though? Is that somehow funnier?

I don't think the original quite worked. If you mix highbrow with lowbrow, you end up with one raised eyebrow. Or something like that. Intermingling jokes about a man trying to help a paraplegic take a shit (and failing) with that Hugh Granty bumbling Brit thing might work in theory, but it all seemed kinda weirdly paced and just not funny. At least for me.

Which doesn't mean to say I think Neil Labute hasn't gone a little off the rails since The Wicker Man remake; remaking a two year old film certainly doesn't help his case. But the dude still gave us Nurse Betty, so he knows funny.

Feh, why am I even commenting? There's no way I'll intentionally go to see this.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:29 am

DennisMM wrote:That just seemed like any other "throw a bunch of people together in a stressful situation" comedy. Then I saw the words, "Directed by Neil LaBute."

Really? Seriously?

Ditto.

Though this may end up being the first Neil Labute film I like. Maybe he has a sense of humor about himself and while in his altered state James Marsden's character thinks he's a bear and punches a woman.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:40 am

Seppuku wrote:I don't think the original quite worked. If you mix highbrow with lowbrow, you end up with one raised eyebrow.

And there lies enlightenment! In that unique moment of bewilderment...

Maybe...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby BuckyO'harre on Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:19 pm

Seppuku wrote:I don't think the original quite worked. If you mix highbrow with lowbrow, you end up with one raised eyebrow.

It's clever and may be completely apropos in this instance, but as a rule?
:|

Umm... no.

It's a tricky line to walk, to be sure, but I can think of too many examples to the contrary. In fact, I'd say my favorite comedic works are those that blend the two.
BuckyO'harre
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:26 pm

I've seen the original (kind of funny to say about a film that came out a year and a half ago), and I thought it was okay.

What's strange about this remake/trailer is that the film looks almost exactly the same, right down to the dialogue. And Peter Dinklage is playing the same character in both films!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:29 pm

So is this basically "Death at a Black Funeral"?

If so, why isn't Tyler Perry directing?

And why is Neil Labute still being employed after making that other remake abomination?

Tune in tomorrow to find out - same Bat-time, same Bat-channel.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:21 am

BuckyO'harre wrote:

It's clever and may be completely apropos in this instance, but as a rule?
:|

Umm... no.

It's a tricky line to walk, to be sure, but I can think of too many examples to the contrary. In fact, I'd say my favorite comedic works are those that blend the two.

Agreed! Best example I can think of backing you up is a scene from My Favorite Year which Peter O'Toole forced the director to put in. In an otherwise goofy movie chock full of Second Avenue style Jewish humour, we have this totally heartrending scene where Peter O'Toole talks about his daughter who he no longer sees anymore and why he had to change his name. And it validated the whole movie.

But by merging American Pie-esque pratfalls with that upper crust British awkwardness, Death at a Funeral seemed like it was trying to appeal to too many different crowds at once, only ending up generally staid and unappealing.

Not that it was awful or anything, but sometimes blandness is worse.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Return to Movie News