James Cameron's AVATAR 2 (3 and 4!)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

James Cameron's AVATAR 2 (3 and 4!)

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:04 pm

From Collider:
James Cameron on AVATAR Sequels, FANTASTIC VOYAGE and BATTLE ANGEL
Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub wrote:When asked if he had an idea for a sequel to Avatar:

Cameron: We’re going to be spending a lot money and time developing the not only the process but the assets and all the models of every rock and tree and plant and creature and the muscle rigs for all the creatures and the facial rigging for the main characters…this is millions of dollars. So it really makes sense to think of it as the potential start of a franchise or a saga that plays out over several acts with each movie being an act of that saga. And I have it mapped out but I haven’t written the scripts yet. It all depends whether we do well with the first film. But that was certainly the intention from the beginning, was to create the foundation for a persistent world.

Hopefully AVATAR makes enough money to have sequels.
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat May 05, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR-2

Postby Peven on Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:28 pm

sounds like even if it doesn't do that great we are going to be seeing at least pieces of the movie in the future..in other movies....digital set pieces and plants and creatures and shit..

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:30 pm

Well thanks for telling us that Pandora doesn't blow up, Cam!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:41 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Well thanks for telling us that Pandora doesn't blow up, Cam!!!!

Pandora does blow up.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:03 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Well thanks for telling us that Pandora doesn't blow up, Cam!!!!

Pandora does blow up.

Technically no, they teleport off the planet with the spice and blow it up.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:51 am

So they call down the drop ship and nuke the site from orbit? Great.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:40 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:So they call down the drop ship and nuke the site from orbit? Great.

No they bring down the Mobile Command Centre and explode a neutron bomb from orbit.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bayouwolf on Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:09 pm

but does Bruce Willis have enough time to tell Liv Tyler that Ben Affleck is good enough for her?
Bayouwolf
Country Bouy

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:37 am

Bayouwolf wrote:but does Bruce Willis have enough time to tell Liv Tyler that Ben Affleck is good enough for her?

Yes, and then he yells yippie ki yay and boom!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: James Cameron's Project 880 part 2!

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:09 pm

From techland:
Avatar: The James Cameron Interview. Sequels? 'Hell Yeah'
Steven James Snyder wrote:
By now, the man must be exhausted, right? Wrong. Before I knew it, Cameron was even talking sequels: “Hell yeah, I'd be interested. You can speculate about budgets here and how much it will take to turn a profit, but the truth will be told if there's no talk of a sequel. Then you'll know we didn't make money. But yeah, there's two, possibly even three films...From the beginning, when we began to build this world and create all these CG animals, we've got the train set built now in these hard drives here and in New Zealand, and it would be easy to get another story going.”

From The Philly Daily News:
Gary Thompson: 'Avatar' producers already thinking sequels
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: James Cameron's Project 880 part 2 and 3!

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:49 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Nachokoolaid on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:57 pm

Huzzah!

I can't wait. AVATAR is amazing. I want many more adventures with the Na'vi.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:25 pm

As much as I liked Avatar, I don't want any sequels.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:13 pm

Yeah me too. I feel the story arc is done and is hard to beat. Let me just think "They lived happily ever after' and then please spend all that time and effort in making this film on ANOTHER original movie, just as good as Avatar. You've earned your money out of this film, now piss off and move on!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:52 pm

I have The Matrix Revolutions in my mind when I think about Avatar sequels.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:47 am

I want sequels. I don't think the corporation that is mining Unobtainium will give up so easily.

I want to see the oceans of Pandora.

I want to see different alien races.
Will the Na'vi change now that Dr. Grace Augustine is a part of their global network?

EDITED FOR SPOILERS!!11 - MM
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:55 am

TheButcher wrote:I want sequels. I don't think the corporation that is mining Unobtainium will give up so easily.

I want to see the oceans of Pandora.

I want to see different alien races.

Will the Na'vi change now that Dr. Grace Augustine is a part of their global network?

I agree. There are so many places to go. I want to be there when Cameron shows them to us.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Fievel on Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:33 am

Fried Gold wrote:I have The Matrix Revolutions in my mind when I think about Avatar sequels.

But it'll have flowers.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:42 am

From Hero Complex:
Beyond Pandora: James Cameron may visit other moons in an 'Avatar' sequel
Geoff Boucher wrote:"Avatar" has already piled up $285 million in worldwide grosses and, of course, in our "what's next?" culture that means people are already peppering writer-director James Cameron with questions about a sequel. On the film's opening night, the Hero Complex and The Envelope hosted a screening of the film and I got a chance to interview Cameron, producer Jon Landau and stars Sigourney Weaver and Sam Worthington on stage and, of course, I asked about the follow-up possibilities for the film. I made a point to mention that Pandora wasn't the only moon shown orbiting the distant Polyphemus and the filmmaker acknowledged that he his story ideas for the "Avatar" universe aren't boxed in by Pandora.

I can't wait to see the other moons of Polyphemus!
Last edited by TheButcher on Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby magicmonkey on Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:41 am

I've been going through removing spoilers, can we please use the spoiler tag gentlemen? Some I presume were jokes...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:42 am

Sorry about that. :oops:
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:45 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:29 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby quiethell on Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:13 am

If there's one person who knows how to do sequels, it's Cameron. This is going to be amazing.
quiethell
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:53 pm

From THR:
News Corp. in early talks for 'Avatar' sequel
Georg Szalai wrote:Rupert Murdoch said company is 'pushing' for followup pic
NEW YORK -- News Corp. is in very early talks with James Cameron about a possible "Avatar" sequel.

Asked about potential "Avatar" sequels, chairman and CEO Rupert Murdoch said on his quarterly earnings call Tuesday that the conglomerate is in "very early talks about it." Director James Cameron "has ideas" for a sequel, he said, adding: "We will be pushing for one."

But he cautioned analysts not to "hold your breath for an early one" in a possible reference to Cameron projects often taking a long time to come to fruition.

News Corp. deputy chairman, president and COO Chase Carey interjected that both sides want to make another movie. "We certainly both intend to have one," he said.

The executives said financing of a sequel like of any movies these days would be key as News Corp. likes to lay off risk, especially since Cameron films tend to go over budget. But given the success of "Avatar," financing details could come together.

Management also said 60% or more of the profit from "Avatar" will come in over the next two quarters, adding the firm will continue its theater run as the boxoffice goes well, with a DVD release also planned soon after the theatrical run. A DVD release date hasn't been announced so far.

Pushed further on details about the DVD plans for "Avatar," Murdoch said it will be released during his company's current fiscal year, which ends June 30. But he also highlighted that it won't be a 3D DVD release as that technology isn't developed enough yet. But Carey added there could be a 3D "Avatar" DVD release further "down the road" when the technology is ready.

[Editor's Note: An earlier version of this story incorrectly quoted Murdoch in the previous as saying to analysts not to "hold your breath for ANOTHER one." A review of his recorded comments reveal he said "early one."]
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby quiethell on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:23 am

Any chance somebody could post the details of this link? It's blocked in China. Thanks.
quiethell
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby thomasgaffney on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:31 am

quiethell wrote:

Any chance somebody could post the details of this link? It's blocked in China. Thanks.

**SAME DAY UPDATE: Heard from my source again and he says AVATAR 2 WILL be made within 4 years. Still no word on when official pre-production will start. Hopefully we will hear more soon.

This makes sense as a movie like THE DIVE would not take long to spin out should he go in that direction.

Jim here. Never too early to start talking AVATAR 2 right? I mean, AVATAR - the original - has already passed $2b and is set to relegate TITANIC from first class to steerage this week for domestic box office! Well, ok not steerage. Second class. :-)

I have the same sources embedded for AVATAR 2 as we did for the first one and let me tell you the excitement is palpable! Thanks to those guys, we ruled the exclusives for AVATAR. The confidence that is being exuded by the guys that worked on AVATAR is a pleasure to behold and this after taking months and months of verbal abuse focused on their task at hand from some sites. The payoff for them now is ultra sweet let me tell you.

NOW they have credentials behind their effort coming forth for AVATAR 2. Which brings me to the first question: Will AVATAR 2 be James Cameron's next picture? The answer is... we don't know yet. Honestly. Some sites are saying right now that pre-production is underway - that is inaccurate: They are preparing, but it is not officially underway yet. Cameron is always in some sort of prep for many movies on his slate. Hirings happen all the time in his world. Heck BATTLE ANGEL has tons of work done already in prep. I will relay this though: He is under IMMENSE pressure to make AVATAR 2. Of course this makes sense. Many people took huge risks on Cameron and his comeback of all comeback movies. Is it time to pay back Fox and investors with a return to Jake and Neytiri? Strike while Home Tree is still hot? I have no confirmation through my sources one way or the other yet, but I am working on it. One thing is pretty much written in stone though - BATTLE ANGEL is back-burnered. It will either be THE DIVE or AVATAR 2 at this point. Slight chance that THE LAST TRAIN FROM HIROSHIMA could sneak in, but doubtful.

But will that stop them from getting ready for AVATAR 2 either way? No. Discussions and preparations are underway right now. Whether it is next remains to be seen. I will have an update on this the instant I receive it - you can count on that!

Now for the interesting stuff: Just what is being discussed right now? Well for one, what we saw in AVATAR's finale was just a battle. AVATAR 2 will be full blown war. War is coming - Jim Cameron war that is! We know that Cameron and Landau are taking AVATAR sequels OFF of Pandora and I am working closely with my sources to determine exactly where they will take place.

Don't forget it was MarketSaw who broke the story that AVATAR 2 will be off of Pandora (October 26, 2009). Not the LATimes (who published on December 22, 2009!). I mean, wow. Almost a full TWO months after we post the story. Feels a lot like what happened last week with us too. Guess it is par for the course.

Further to what is in AVATAR 2, portions of the original scriptment that were left untouched by AVATAR will indeed be touched by AVATAR 2. I am seeking details as I write. Will update when I get it.

This news comes from one of my top AVATAR sources guys.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Re: James Cameron's AVATARD-2

Postby quiethell on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:19 am

Much appreciated. It sounds like the devastated Future Earth from the scriptment might be revealed then. I really hope Cameron focuses on doing the sequel next.
quiethell
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:58 am

From Coming Soon:
Exclusive: James Cameron on Avatar Sequels
Heather Newgen wrote:CS: Do you know where the story is going for the next film?

Cameron
: Yeah, I definitely have a story arc in mind for the second film and even on a very vague base for a third film. That doesn't mean we'll do a third film - it doesn't mean we'll stop at a third film. We'll just have to see where it goes.

CS: Will the sequel be the next movie you do or will it be another project?

Cameron:
That hasn't been decided yet
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:20 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:20 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR 2

Postby Seppuku on Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:16 pm

Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby magicmonkey on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:33 am

HAHA! I KNEW WHEN I CLICKED THAT I SHOULDN'T HAVE OPENED THIS ( Pandora's box of a) THREAD!!11

I personally would feel more motivated to watch the rest of this movie if it was 18 cert. I mean a film about the military not being a 18?!? WTF!? Child soldiers indeed. *Grumble*

*grumble*

*falls over*

*pesky kids*

bah.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Seppuku on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:41 am

magicmonkey wrote:

HAHA! I KNEW WHEN I CLICKED THAT I SHOULDN'T HAVE OPENED THIS ( Pandora's box of a) THREAD!!11

There are people on Earth who still haven't seen Avatar yet? :o

My bad, I should probably have spoiler texted it anyway...for giving away the ending of Alien³. :twisted:

EDIT: You were totally right, of course. :oops:
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Re: James Cameron's AVATAR 2 (SPOILERS)

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:08 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:55 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby The Vicar on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:35 pm

Thus combining elements of Cameron's two biggest films - Titanic and Avatar! Panderer.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Al Shut on Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:18 am

Oceans?

I've always wondered what kind of tides they have on this planet with that huge planet or moon hanging in the sky.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Nachokoolaid on Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:15 am

The Vicar wrote:Thus combining elements of Cameron's two biggest films - Titanic and Avatar! Panderer.

I thought you might go for The Abyss, but whatever.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:05 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:22 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 15, 2010 6:52 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fievel on Sat May 15, 2010 9:53 pm

We are here to announce that there will be an announcement.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:08 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Hermanator X on Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:15 pm

...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:49 pm

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:19 pm

Most unnecessary sequel ever. You told the most important story in the protagonist's life. That's enough.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Ribbons on Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:26 pm

DennisMM wrote:That's enough.

*looks up from counting money*

I'm sorry, what was that word you used? "E-nuff"? Is that German or something?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bloo on Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:05 am

Fried Gold wrote:Image

that's awesome, I had a roommate that had all those bathroom reader books and I remember reading that now
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:23 pm

DennisMM wrote:Most unnecessary sequel ever. You told the most important story in the protagonist's life. That's enough.

From what I've read, that particular protagonist doesn't neccessarily have to feature as the main character in the sequel.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to Movie News