TRON 3

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: TRON 3

Postby TheButcher on Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:11 am

Exclusive: Joseph Trapanese scoring 'Divergent' sequel 'Insurgent'
Katie Hasty wrote:Is there any update on those Joseph Kosinski projects, the Tom Cruise Le Mans film or the follow-up to "Tron: Legacy?"

For that Le Mans project, I would love to be involved if that moves forward. Joe Kosinski, in my book, is one of the greatest working directors out there. Any time he asks me to jump, I say "How high?".

And for "Tron 3," every few months, I hear a rumble from a friend who's either a sound designer or a producer, someone involved who was on "Tron" say, "I hear it's coming... I hear it's coming." I hear it's coming and I know they are actively working on it, but stars have to align for everyone to get the green light. Hopefully that happens soon, because I would love to strike up the band again and do something new for the Tron world.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:47 pm

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:59 am

Fried Gold wrote:Tron 3 appears to be on:

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/03/tron ... uver-fall/

YES!YES!YES!
This is great news!

There’s A New TRON Game Coming, And Someone Very Cool Is Scoring It…

UPDATE: Kosinski Returns For TRON 3, Shoots This Fall In Vancouver
Devin Faraci wrote: UPDATE: Right after I ran this story I was contacted by a trusted source who tells me that the movie is happening, and that Joseph Kosinski is back for it. So here it is, folks, Tron Legacy 2.

You know you live in an era of property-driven filmmaking when a movie like Tron, a flop, doesn't get just one sequel - which technically/kinda made money* but had no impact on the world - it also gets a second sequel. At leats that's according to local Vancouver blog VanCity Buzz, which reports that Tron 3 shoots there this fall.

First: VanCity Buzz is very much a local news source, not a hit-whoring movie blog. The report that they have seems to be coming from their local reporting, and so for me it's got a bit more truth to it than whatever nonsense nerdmovies.com makes up and submits to Reddit. And there have been a lot of rumors of a Tron 3 swirling about, even if nothing has ever come of it for the past five years. Could Disney have finally pulled the trigger?

The site says that Garrett Hedlund is attached to return, but that's about it. What the story will be is probably secondary, since if this movie is happening it's Disney's last attempt to move some toys and to maybe put together a collector's edition trilogy Blu (how many times will they make you buy Tron?). The big question isn't who is starring, but who is writing and directing. So far that's been the weakness in both Tron movies - they're spectacular looking bores. With their third at-bat I hope Disney dumps Joseph Kosinski and finds a filmmaker who understands not just the visuals but also the process of telling a compelling story.

* this is one of those times where it's very tough to figure out the truth of a financial situation. Tron Legacy barely made back its announced production budget domestically, and that doesn't even begin to cover marekting and stuff. It made more money international, but the general math holds that a film needs to make double its budget before it enters profitabliity. Worldwide, Legacy barely did that (especially if, like me, you find the official $170 million budget fishy). A film like this is supposed to drive ancillary sales - toys, games, cartoons - which it didn't, so the film's lack of a strong profit plus its inability to move merch make it kind of a loser.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:29 pm

I liked Legacy ok, but not enough to have rewatched it and I have yet to hear anyone talk about it with any enthusiasm. I am doubtful Disney is making a smart move with this, but then they are the ones making the big $$

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:35 pm

THR:
Joseph Kosinski to Direct Disney's 'Tron 3'
The 'Oblivion' director is attached to the follow-up to 'Tron: Legacy,' which has not yet been greenlit.
Etan Vlessing wrote:Walt Disney Pictures has attached Joseph Kosinski to direct Tron 3, The Hollywood Reporter confirmed Wednesday.

Disney is understood to be eyeing a fall 2015 start of production for the follow-up to Tron: Legacy, which has not yet been officially greenlighted.

Kosinski was behind the sci-fi movies Oblivion, starring Tom Cruise, and Tron: Legacy, which was shot in Vancouver.

Studio operators in the West Coast city are in the running to possibly land the Tron 3 shoot, but no bookings have yet been confirmed, according to local players. Vancouver will host another sci-fi tentpole this year, Star Trek 3.

Toronto in 2015 will host production on Warner Bros.' Suicide Squad movie, based on the DC Comics property, and Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim 2.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: TRON 3 or TRON REBOOT

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:07 am

AWN Tuesday, November 11, 2014 :
World Animation and VFX Summit Turns Three
Heather Kenyon wrote:A really great discussion was had about “Rebooting Classic Properties” and featured Disney’s Troy Underwood discussing Tron and Star Wars, Cort Lane from Marvel and David Voss from Mattel’s Playground Productions giving us an inside look at their upcoming He-Man.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:46 am

‘Tron 3′ To Shoot This Fall In Vancouver
Rumor has it that thanks part to the profits being generated by the Marvel and soon to be Star Wars films, Disney got the idea to revive the idea of a Tron 3. Honestly it makes plenty of sense.

Back To The Grid, TRON 3 Is On The Way!
October 5th is being eyed as the first day of principal photography so this is a very much happening as far as this report.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:27 pm

My prediction is that it will be just as bad as the last one, and that I will go see it in IMAX 3D
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:37 pm

Ribbons wrote:My prediction is that it will be just as bad as the last one, and that I will go see it in IMAX 3D

Can I go?
I'll buy the popcorn.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:37 pm

SciFiNow 3 September 2013:
TRON 3 “delivers on TRON: Legacy” says Joseph Kosinski
Oblivion director Joseph Kosinski discusses Empire Strikes Back influence on TRON 3

Jonathan Hatfull wrote:
“What was really exciting to me about a sequel to that, like in Empire, is that you can pick up the story mid-stride and just be off to the races from the opening frame because there already is an understanding between you and the audience about what story you’re telling and who the characters are. And to me that’s what’s exciting about that, is being able to expand on that world in that way.”

io9 3/17/10:
Did Original Tron Director Steve Lisberger Just Give Away Tron Legacy's Ending?
Charlie Jane Anders wrote:
Lisberger adds that Kevin Flynn has gone from a young turk to Obi-Wan Kenobi:

In some ways this film is about what happens if you find out your dad is Obi-Wan and not Darth Vader… because that has its own challenges.

If Flynn's dad is Obi-Wan does that mean Dillinger's father is Darth Vader?

10 Animators to Watch: Lorelay Bove and Brittney Lee
Peter Debruge wrote:Both are set for larger roles on Disney’s still-secret 2018 feature.

Maybe it's Tron 3.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

TRON: ASCENSION

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:54 am

Is TRON 3 Titled TRON: ASCENSION?
The next installment in the ‘TRON’ Franchise Might Be Shooting from October to February
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: TRON: ASCENSION

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:30 pm

Olivia Wilde Reteams With Garrett Hedlund for 'Tron 3' (Exclusive)
Borys Kit wrote:The pair will reprise their characters from 2010’s Tron: Legacy in the sequel, which is being directed by Joseph Kosinski.

Legacy was the sequel to the 1982 sci-fi film that took place inside a computer world known as the Grid and starred Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleitner. While not a hit at the time, it later drew a big cult following and became an influence on filmmakers and pop culture.

Decades later, Disney revisited the world with Legacy. The story revealed that the computer-programmer character played by Bridges had a son (Hedlund) who jumped into the Grid to find his father. Wilde was Quorra, an algorithm-made-flesh who also happened to kick butt.

Disney has been developing a sequel to Legacy since the movie grossed $400 million worldwide. Hedlund in 2012 said he would return to the visual-effects-heavy franchise, but that was when the project was circling a 2014 start.

The project is now looking to shoot this fall, likely in Vancouver, British Columbia. Plot details are being kept offline.

Justin Springer will be involved as a producer.

Wilde is coming off starring in the Blumhouse-produced horror movie The Lazarus Effect. She is repped by WME, Untitled and Ziffren Brittenham.

Hedlund just boarded Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk and will be playing Hook in Pan, Warner Bros.’ retelling of Peter Pan. He is repped by WME, Brillstein Entertainment and Sloane Offer.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:32 pm

TRON 3 Bringing Back Garrett Hedlund and Olivia Wilde
MATT GOLDBERG wrote:We’re hearing that the plot will involve more entities leaving the Grid and coming into the real world, and that’s where the “Ascension” part of the rumored title comes from. They are “ascending” into our plane of existence where they will discover that our bikes are less shiny, our clothes aren’t skin tight, and information is not stored on Frisbees.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:13 pm

TheButcher wrote:TRON 3 Bringing Back Garrett Hedlund and Olivia Wilde
MATT GOLDBERG wrote:We’re hearing that the plot will involve more entities leaving the Grid and coming into the real world, and that’s where the “Ascension” part of the rumored title comes from. They are “ascending” into our plane of existence where they will discover that our bikes are less shiny, our clothes aren’t skin tight, and information is not stored on Frisbees.

Tron characters in the real world. Wow, I actually kinda like this "universe" and I didn't even dislike the last movie as much as a lot of people did, but I could not be less interested in that...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Ribbons on Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:26 am

You know it's weird sometimes where my personal suspension of disbelief ends. I have no problem buying into the fundamental concept of Tron and didn't bat an eyelash at any of the crazy shit in TRON: Legacy. But computer programs entering the real world? Fuck off! That's so stupid! I can't explain why, it just is.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:16 am

Ribbons wrote:You know it's weird sometimes where my personal suspension of disbelief ends. I have no problem buying into the fundamental concept of Tron and didn't bat an eyelash at any of the crazy shit in TRON: Legacy. But computer programs entering the real world? Fuck off! That's so stupid! I can't explain why, it just is.

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:45 am

I think you guys must've missed a lot of TRON 2, because that stuff was all in there throughout the movie.

The bad guy is a digital being, who wants to lead his army into the real world and conquer it.

Olivia Wilde's character is also a digital being, and at the end of the film the lead guy takes her out of the videogame and into the real world, they ride around on his motorbike in the real world and she's all like "Oooooh a sunrise! That's so pretty! Oooh trees!"

And my vote for title is TRON DAWN.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:57 am

Ribbons wrote:You know it's weird sometimes where my personal suspension of disbelief ends. I have no problem buying into the fundamental concept of Tron and didn't bat an eyelash at any of the crazy shit in TRON: Legacy. But computer programs entering the real world? Fuck off! That's so stupid! I can't explain why, it just is.

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:11 am

What Spandau said.

Some of you sound like they're surprised and like it wasn't clear that this would be the direction the next movie would take.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:05 pm

I didn't miss it, I just said I was disinterested in it. The world of Tron is really what interests me about these movies. Send all the programs through and now they're just people. Seeing an army come through and attacking with disks and recognizers (if they'll operate in our world) might be cool for a minute, but i'm mostly there for the digital world and the game grid.

Besides, they foiled the plan in the last movie. They can go whatever direction with this that they choose.

Maybe they'll prove me wrong and make something interesting. I hope so. Lotsa detail to be released obviously and I'd be shocked if the whole thing or even the vast majority took place in the real world when all is said and done. Maybe more like 50/50. But there's a whole world on the other side of the computer screen and I'd be interested in seeing more of it (it's funny, the original actually showed us a lot more of that world than the sequel did).
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Peven on Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:16 pm

but you have no problem enjoying The Avengers, with Thor, a Norse God, the Hulk, a guy who turns into a monster because he was exposed to gamma rays(which would really just kill someone), and Captain America, a "super-soldier" created by a super serum, then frozen in suspended animation for 50 years and revived with no ill effects. all THAT you can handle, but a computer program materializing as a three dimensional being in our world is just too much for your imagination to grasp. wow I guess you don't believe in 3d printing, either? :roll:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:28 pm

Peven wrote:

but you have no problem enjoying The Avengers, with Thor, a Norse God, the Hulk, a guy who turns into a monster because he was exposed to gamma rays(which would really just kill someone), and Captain America, a "super-soldier" created by a super serum, then frozen in suspended animation for 50 years and revived with no ill effects. all THAT you can handle, but a computer program materializing as a three dimensional being in our world is just too much for your imagination to grasp. wow I guess you don't believe in 3d printing, either? :roll:

i think he already admitted that where his suspension of disbelief ends is weird. i think that was the whole point of his post to begin with.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:42 pm

Thank you Baxter. That was indeed the point of my post, that what I find believable and unbelievable seems totally random and illogical. I was making fun of myself more than I was making fun of TRON.

I do remember that this was an element of the last movie, but my feelings about it back then were the same as they are now. Which isn't enough to keep me away from the theater, just saying.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:07 pm

if you had just left out the "its so stupid" from your post......because there you are giving a reason why and that is why I took it the way I did

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:02 am

TRON 3: Olivia Wilde Says Story Follows Quorra in the Real World; Confirms Filming Plans
She's read the script and confirms the goal is to start shooting later this year.

So it's going to be Disney's version of PIXELS?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 30, 2015 3:29 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Al Shut on Sat May 30, 2015 4:39 am

I say boo-urns to that :evil:
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 31, 2015 2:20 pm

Disney Pulls Plug on ‘Tron 3′
James Rainey wrote:There had been sufficient reporting about the film’s early development and buzz on fanboy sites that some observers had assumed Disney had given a formal greenlight to the production, but it never had. “I think it could resurface at some point but it’s not going to get the go button right now,” said another individual familiar with the project.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:35 pm

Since Kosinski is now free, can we move him over to direct that GHOST IN THE SHELL movie? I think he's a good match with the materiel and a more sure bet than that Sanders guy.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:03 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:16 am

TRON 3 was set to "blow Legacy out of the water"
The script for TRON 3 was "getting to a place to where everybody was getting really excited". Until Disney pulled the plug...
Simon Brew wrote:The movie was, at one stage, set to start shooting later this year. It would pick things up following TRON: Legacy, and Hedlund was set to return in the leading role. "It was just sort of I guess put on hold," he told Coming Soon.

"I don’t have all the answers. I mean, ever since Legacy came out, they’d always wanted to get a concrete story for the next one. I knew that the new characters that we were introducing were going to be incredible. The script was really getting to a place to where everybody was getting really excited...The common comment was ‘this one’s going to blow Legacy out of the water'. I was really excited for that."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:05 am

TRON 3: Disney Producer Still Hopeful For Sequel
Now, in an interview with ScreenRant, producer and former Disney development executive Brigham Taylor has signaled that those hopes remain alive at the studio as well.
Bob Chipman wrote:As part of an upcoming interview mainly focused on his work as producer of Jon Favreau’s live-action Jungle Book movie, Taylor mentioned Tron among multiple examples of Disney properties that have been revived as modern blockbusters despite not being major hits in their day. When pressed as to whether this meant there was still life in the cult-favorite sci-fi franchise, he had this to say:
“I’m always hope for that. I just had a wonderful visit to Shanghai, where they have an amazing attraction based on Tron Legacy. The designers just did such an amazing job creating the feeling of stepping onto The Grid, and that indelible visual world that Lisberger created and Kosinski explored… and I think there’s a real stickiness to that that I hope can grow into a film or whatever else. So I don’t know what I’d “hint” at other than that I hope for that, and that there’s obviously been conversations.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:41 pm

Collider Exclusive:
Joseph Kosinski Reveals the Plot for ‘TRON 3’; Says It’s an “Invasion Movie”
JOSEPH KOSINSKI: I guess I can say that TRON 3 is in cryogenic freeze. So, it’s there. It’s not dead. It’s alive, but it’s sitting there, waiting for the right time to move forward. I mean, you have to remember that when we made TRON: Legacy, Disney did not own Marvel. Disney did not own Lucasfilm…they own everything now. But this was before they owned everything, so from the studio point of view, they have a certain number of slots and a certain amount of money to make movies and if you can make a Star Wars spinoff or another Marvel movie, which are all doing incredibly well, a TRON movie, even though I think it would do very well, the question is: Would it do as well as one of those? That is more the reason we haven’t seen another TRON is that Disney stock is flushed with really successful properties right now. But that doesn’t mean we won’t see one at one point.

KOSINSKI: It definitely doesn’t have to be on a movie screen. I don’t know if you saw the TRON ride, which opened in Shanghai and was amazing…I think the TRON franchise is alive in rides and I think there’s still interest in exploring other things like VR, but as far as the TV show, I don’t know, I think that would be tough. As you saw on screen, so much of the world has to be created digitally. You can’t just go and film a TRON movie, or at least the TRON side of it, so I don’t know. I would never say never. There’s possibly a version of that, but that’s up to Disney.

KOSINSKI: The movie was called, “TRON: Ascension”, I think that’s out there. I think we got the script to about 80%. We were in good shape. We were probably eight or nine months out, which is still a good amount of distance from being ready to shoot it, but I think the script was in good shape. What I’m excited about is the concept, which is an invasion movie from inside the machine coming out as opposed to one we’ve usually seen. So we hinted at that at the end of Legacy with Quorra coming out, but the idea for Ascension was a movie that was, the first act was in the real world, the second act was in the world of TRON, or multiple worlds of TRON, and the third act was totally in the real world. And I think that really opens up, blows open the concept of TRON in a way that would be thrilling to see on screen. But there’s also a really interesting character study in Quorra and a “Stranger in a Strange Land,” trying to figure out where she belongs having lived in the real world for a few years, and where does she fit in.

KOSINSKI: I don’t see them having superpowers. I don’t see them being able to shoot lasers from their eyes or do what I would consider to be a superhero-type movie. But in her DNA itself, her being the first digital-human hybrid, there’s something in her being that allows objects from inside the Grid to exist in the real world and makes them permanent, so that was the idea. So I think the idea is strong, it’s just a matter of the right time and the right place and the stars aligning as they have to do for movies.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:06 pm

Jared Leto Circling 'Tron' Reboot at Disney (Exclusive)
After cancelling a third installment in the sci-fi franchise in 2015, Disney is exploring the idea of a movie that would act as a Leto vehicle.

Borys Kit wrote:Sources say this new project is not a direct sequel and is being built out of the source code of the deleted Tron 3 script. Leto would play a character named Ares, who has not appeared on screen before but was a key player in that script.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:47 pm

I don't hate the guy like some people do, but the concept of a "Jared Leto vehicle" seems laughable to me. I can't imagine people flocking to a new Tron movie just because he's in it.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:48 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:49 am

Jared Leto?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:01 am

Ribbons wrote:I don't hate the guy like some people do, but the concept of a "Jared Leto vehicle" seems laughable to me.

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Previous

Return to Movie News