Dr. Who: The RTD-Produced Hollywood Movie?

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Dr. Who: The RTD-Produced Hollywood Movie?

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:52 pm

With Depp as Doc?

Sources are reporting that a big screen version of Doctor Who, written by former showrunner Russell T. Davies, is slated for release in 2012. Those same sources are also reporting that Johnny Depp has been confirmed in the iconic role of The Doctor.

The rumor of an American movie adaptation of the classic British sci-fi series was originally raised when Russell T. Davies and show producer Julie Gardner announced their departure from the BBC revival of the show for Los Angeles in 2008 in order to develop projects for BBC America. Though both were mum on the idea of adapting Doctor Who for American audiences, it was eventually revealed that Torchwood was undergoing that very process. The idea of a Torchwood television series was originally pitched to Fox before eventually landing at Starz. (Fox Television itself is no stranger to Doctor Who, having been the distributor behind an attempted American revival of the show in 1996.)

Earlier this week, the news of Johnny Depp starring in Doctor Who appeared on article mill PubArticles (Update: Looks like the article was moved here then later removed from the site. What follows is a quote from that piece):

Long-time producer of the television series Russell T. Davies reported that the reason he moved on from the show was due to the opportunity to transform the Doctor to the big screen. “Bringing the Who franchise to the theaters is a regeneration for the character beyond the usual one. A theatrical release has a greater range and can reach millions of more people than just the fans. There will be brand new concepts and the film will be just as adventurous, scary and humorous as the television programme. But none of us working the film will forget what makes the character great and interesting and the long-time fans will not be disappointed because yes, the Daleks make an appearance.”

The article goes on to say that the story will involve the Doctor going “on a journey through time and space with a crew of volunteers treating humanity’s illnesses brought on by invading aliens. He cures the bubonic plague and then goes to Africa to fight Ebola.”

The grain-of-salt quotient on this idea is MASSIVE, but it’s not like Russell T. Davies hasn’t introduced huge, odd-sounding concepts to Doctor Who before. He’s also admitted in his book The Writer’s Tale to routinely lying to press about story elements.

So it was with even greater surprise that movie studio sources confirmed with Tor.com today that, while it can’t comment on possible story elements, the casting of Johnny Depp as the Doctor for a 2012 film is confirmed.

If this bears out to be true, it introduces an enormous amount of excitement and uncertainty to the franchise. A movie version could make the Doctor a household name here in America but alienate old fans in the process. And what of Johnny Depp’s involvement? It is, obviously, too soon to decide on how any of this will play out. If it plays out.

I personally know one thing for sure: I certainly won’t mind seeing the TARDIS plastered on billboards all around the country.

While I think that Johnny Depp would be a good choice, it's also a very obvious choice. I wish they had asked me, since I say for years that none other than Jeff Bridges should play the Doctor in a Hollywood movie.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Re: Dr. Who: The RTD-Produced Hollywood Movie?

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:11 pm

I don't believe it.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:20 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:I don't believe it.

To be honest, me neither. But with a huge chunk of I-wouldn't-be-surprised-if-it-would-turn-out-to-be-true.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby papalazeru on Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:36 pm

They'd fucking ruin the TARDIS by giving it a voice and making the iconic box into the shape of Megan Fox's vagina (bigger on the inside for sure). K-9 would return and would be in every scene possible for light comic relief while the good ole Doc sleeps with another assistant.

I certainly don't want Depps stupid ass English accent playing the Doctor. What about someone less seasoned, more a wild card, like the Doctor.

Besides, I thought Russel T gave up the Doctor, it's not his anymore so unless Hollywood has signed RTD to write it, he's out the loop.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:11 pm

Via Bleeding Cool:

Okay, this looks like silly rumour time. The stuff that tabloid headlines are made of. But with io9 jumping on Tor.com’s original report seemingly based on bizarre documents on PubArticles. is there something in the air? Johnny Depp to play The Doctor in a big screen Hollywood adaptation of Doctor Who by Russell T Davies? Surely not.

Certainly Davies has been working on a Who movie from his LA offices. The BBC announced there was one in the works, only for Davies and co to scotch that to the press as mere internet rumours. And never addressing that it was actually the Beeb that announced it.

But Johnny Depp? Okay, Ten Thoughts on why he shouldn’t. And why he probably isn’t.

1. He’s American. There is something just quintessentially British about the Doctor. Only Brits have played him on TV and the big screen. And while Johnny Depp is wonderful at pulling off quite the transformation, and has done many a time, it feels like a betrayal of Queen and Country. Sacrilege. heresy. Davies might get taken to the tower. Make the Doctor ginger, black, female, old, young, anything – but never American. Might as well give him a gun. Or make him French.

2. David Tennant is free-ish. Certainly enough for a movie. Certainly enough for the millions it would bring. Certainly enough considering his rising star in Hollywood right now.

3. Depp has played Captain Jack in Pirates Of The Carribean three times with a fourth on the way. There is a prominent Captain Jack in the Doctor Who world played by John Barrowman. It would just get confusing.

4. Eye patches are not cool.

5. Doctor Who continuity is convulted enough. Do we want to add a separate film continuity to it? At least with David Tennant, you could work it in easily enough.

6. He’s already been a regeneration of Heath Ledger in Doctor Parnassus. Can he be in another Doctor movie so soon?

7. Matt Smith will be judged in comparison. And lovely as he is, Smith is a relatively inexperienced actor compared to Depp. It’s like starring in a local production of Hamlet, only for the RSC to set up down the road, and cloning the late Lawrence Olivier to take the role, opening on the same night as yours. It’s just not cricket.

8. Depp has already been in The Fast Show and The Vicar Of Dibley. Isn’t that enough British TV shows for the man?

9. Because this sort of thing should just not be encouraged.

10. He’d probably make a really good Doctor. But it just cannot happen. It just shouldn’t. It feels terribly self conscious, casting an overpowering name. It’s why Eddie Izzard would have been a very bad choice, yet exhinbiting all sorts of quirks and tics that are very Doctorish. Casting Depp would make the show bigger on the outside. And that’s just not right.

It just can’t be true, okay? It just can’t.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:12 pm

If it is true then it would be a farking disaster.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DerLanghaarige on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:33 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:Via Bleeding Cool:

I don't get this one.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:40 pm

DerLanghaarige wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:Via Bleeding Cool:

I don't get this one.

Johnny Depp = pirate.

Current Doctor always says "Bow ties are cool"

Hence, "Eye patches are not cool".

Just my guess. I might be way off base.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MacCready on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:28 pm

Film idea? All for it. An American playing The Doctor? Fuck that. If I were British I wouldn't go see the bleeding film....evar.
What actor would we like to see in the role of The Doctor on the big? Nominations? And no, Chris Lee is not available.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:00 am

You know, I think part of me knew this already, but I only just now realized that about 93% of all bullshit casting rumors involve Johnny Depp. The list of movies he hasn't made is probably longer than his entire body of work.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:09 am

DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby John-Locke on Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:04 am

I'm not against the idea of a Movie or Depp starring as long as it doesn't mess with the continuity of the Moffat run series...

BUT RTD?

REALLY?

DO

NOT

WANT
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby MacCready on Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:52 pm

It now appears that not only will Depp NOT being doing the doctor, but there IS no film planned. Talk about good news/bad news.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:03 pm

MacCready wrote:It now appears that not only will Depp NOT being doing the doctor, but there IS no film planned. Talk about good news/bad news.

As I was saying the other night, the story seemed to be recycled from a year or two ago but with Depp's name inserted in place of David Tennant's.

Another case of a story being based on "Internet sources say....".
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MacCready on Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:08 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
MacCready wrote:It now appears that not only will Depp NOT being doing the doctor, but there IS no film planned. Talk about good news/bad news.

As I was saying the other night, the story seemed to be recycled from a year or two ago but with Depp's name inserted in place of David Tennant's.

Another case of a story being based on "Internet sources say....".

Yup. But there were some worried boys and girls out there. It was the least I could do to relieve their pain. And mine ( although I knew it was bullshit all along)

I did. Did too!!! Don't gimme that look, I can get that from my mom.
MacCready
MAN IN SUIT

Postby Leckomaniac on Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:13 pm

Well, I know Russell T Davies has denied it, but according to the Rich Johnston article I linked to, the BBC has confirmed that Davies was writing a draft for a Who film. Not sure how accurate that is, but he has a decent enough track record so....
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to Movie News