Shane Black's Predator Reboot

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:49 am

From IGN @ SDCC 10: Rodriguez Confirms Predators 2
Scott Collura wrote:"[The studio] said, 'Let's do some other ones. What other story ideas do you have?'" says the filmmaker. "Because it was like, let's test out the market with this one. They really wanted it to be pretty contained, pretty scaled-back. They didn't want to put too many of the ideas into it that we could save for a second one. So we could see what the appetite was, because the bigger movie would actually be what comes following that. That kind of sets up a new storyline, new location and world, and then you can really go crazy from there."

Rodriguez says he has "an idea" of what he will do with the sequel. The next step, he says, is probably to have other writers come in and pitch different versions of his basic premise, along with new concepts. And then, as with the first Predators, he'll pick the best one. As for whether or not he would direct the sequel…
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Predators 2

Postby travis-dane on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:59 am

Good news, I liked the new movie, I hope Brody comes back.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:19 am

TheButcher wrote:From IGN @ SDCC 10: Rodriguez Confirms Predators 2
Scott Collura wrote:"[The studio] said, 'Let's do some other ones. What other story ideas do you have?'" says the filmmaker. "Because it was like, let's test out the market with this one. They really wanted it to be pretty contained, pretty scaled-back. They didn't want to put too many of the ideas into it that we could save for a second one. So we could see what the appetite was, because the bigger movie would actually be what comes following that. That kind of sets up a new storyline, new location and world, and then you can really go crazy from there."

Rodriguez says he has "an idea" of what he will do with the sequel. The next step, he says, is probably to have other writers come in and pitch different versions of his basic premise, along with new concepts. And then, as with the first Predators, he'll pick the best one. As for whether or not he would direct the sequel…

While I really liked Predators and wished to subscribe to its newsletter, that sounds somewhat like it was so good because it was "pretty contained, pretty scaled-back".

They need to remember that bigger scale and budget doesn't always mean excellence.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:26 am

Is there any action movie that doesn't get a sequel? Seriously, if any movie does well/moderately well at the BO its pretty much a guarantee that a sequel is in the works (wether the original director/actors have anything to do with it or not).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:19 am

so sorry wrote:Is there any action movie that doesn't get a sequel?

It happens..... sometimes.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:43 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
TheButcher wrote:From IGN @ SDCC 10: Rodriguez Confirms Predators 2

While I really liked Predators and wished to subscribe to its newsletter, that sounds somewhat like it was so good because it was "pretty contained, pretty scaled-back".

They need to remember that bigger scale and budget doesn't always mean excellence.

Agreed. I generally trust Rodriguez, but he and the suits should watch Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick back to back just in case.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:46 am

so sorry wrote:Is there any action movie that doesn't get a sequel? Seriously, if any movie does well/moderately well at the BO its pretty much a guarantee that a sequel is in the works (wether the original director/actors have anything to do with it or not).

Well, Gladiator was never sequelized. Neither were Mr. & Mrs. Smith and Jumper. Despite early talks, I don't think a Wanted sequel will happen.

But yeah, pretty much everything that makes more than $50 gets a sequel.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby papalazeru on Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:03 am

What, no trailer yet?

I'm disappointed.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby TheButcher on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:57 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:55 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:54 am

Robert Rodriguez Talks Sin City, Predators
Spencer Perry wrote:Rodriguez was also the man behind the last Predator outing Predators and at the time of it's release, he was very interested in doing a follow-up to the movie, but now he's not so sure.

"We were thinking about it. I don't know, I'll have to talk to them. They just had a regime change over there - we'll see what happens," he said.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: 'In War They Come'

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:14 am

Lance Reddick chambers 'In War They Come' - Options sci-fi script from Twinstar as possible starring vehicle
Jeff Sneider wrote:Lance Reddick's production company Christai Films has optioned rights to Stuart Gallop's script "In War They Come" from U.K.-based Twinstar Prods. and will develop the Neil Corbould-directed movie as a starring vehicle for Reddick ("Fringe").

Budgeted at $5 million, the sci-fi/action pic tells the story of a U.S. soldier and his battle-hardened staff sergeant (Reddick) who lead a squad on a top-secret mission into the jungles of Vietnam to find a missing special forces unit, only to learn that an evil alien species may be responsible for their disappearance.

Reddick's producing partner Steven Adams brought him the script after meeting with Twinstar topper Gallop in Cannes. Gallop had been developing the project as the directorial debut of Corbould, a veteran special effects supervisor who won an Oscar for "Gladiator" and was nominated for "Superman Returns." Helmer's other SFX credits include "Black Hawk Down," "Snow White and the Huntsman" and Steven Spielberg's upcoming "Robopocalypse."

"I was impressed by Twinstar's resourcefulness and excited to present Lance with an opportunity to be a part of this project. Neil Corbould is an incredible talent who, with his A-team, will take the visuals to the next level," said Adams.

"As a sci-fi fan and writer, "Fringe" and "Lost" are two of my favorite programs. This project is tailor-made for Lance Reddick and his talent will bring a lot to this production," added Gallop, who will produce with Reddick and Adams.

Christai and Twinstar are currently casting the other lead role, and producers intend to raise funds via Kickstarter in the coming weeks with the aim of starting production as early as summer 2013.

"In War They Come" is a logical starring vehicle for Reddick, who has amassed a strong international fanbase due to his turns on Fox's "Fringe" and ABC's "Lost" after earning critical acclaim for his role on HBO's "The Wire." He'll turn his attention to the pic after he wraps the final season of "Fringe" and Roland Emmerich's actioner "White House Down" later this year.

Reddick is repped by Paradigm and Alta Entertainment.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:45 pm

Teaser Image Hints At SDCC Announcement For New PREDATORS Project

A teaser image has suggested that an announcement for something related to the Predator franchise will be made at San Diego Comic-Con. Will the planned sequel to the 2010 finally be announced at Fox's panel later this week?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:46 am

Robert Rodriguez. Danny Trejo. MACHETE KILLS. Ask us anything.
Cletus_TheFetus
Question for Robert, Any news on Predators 2 and if it will be a direct sequel?

Robert_RodriguezRobert Rodriguez[S]
No news on Predators 2 yet. We'd still love to do one.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:24 pm

Fox Rebooting 'Predator' With Shane Black (Exclusive)
The "Lethal Weapon" creator and "Iron Man 3" director will write the treatment and is attached to direct the project, which could relaunch the sci-fi action franchise.
Borys Kit wrote:The ’80s action classic Predator is getting the reboot treatment from 20th Century Fox.

But before some purists cry foul, they should know that this reboot comes with an interesting attachment: Shane Black, the venerable screenwriter behind Lethal Weapon and writer-director of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Iron Man 3.

Black will write the treatment for the project, then will hand over scripting duties to Fred Dekker, his university chum with whom he wrote 1987’s Monster Squad. Black will oversee the writing and is also attached to direct.

John Davis, who produced the original with Joel Silver and Lawrence Gordon, is producing the reboot.

Predator is the muscle-bound action 1987 movie that starred Arnold Schwarzenegger, Carl Weathers and Jesse Ventura as commandos being stalked in a jungle by a fearsome alien. John McTiernan directed the film, which was one of the movies that cemented Schwarzenegger’s star power.

Black actually appeared in a minor role in the original movie and how he became involved is part of Hollywood lore.

When Predator was being made in 1986, Black was already a screenwriting prodigy for his Lethal Weapon and Monster Squad scripts. The studio and producers wanted him to polish the script for Predator, which was then in pre-production. Black turned it down. A few weeks later, they approached him again. Once more, Black said no. Another few weeks went by, and then the studio called again. This time, however, he was told there was a small role in the movie and asked whether he would like to have it. Black said yes.

When he arrived to the South American set, the studio execs and producers greeted him and said, "By the way, would you mind taking a look at the script?" Black replied, "I’m still not rewriting it."

Fox has found ways to keep Predator alive since its initial outing. There was a Schwarzenegger-less sequel, Predators, in 1990. Robert Rodriguez produced an installment of the franchise in 2010. Fox also combined it with its Alien franchise for a couple of Alien vs. Predator movies released in 2004 and 2007, respectively.

Fox exec Matt Reilly is overseeing the reboot. Davis Entertainment's Ira Napoliello is also overseeing.

This is proving to be a busy time for Black. He is trying to put together a cast for The Nice Guys, a 1970s crime movie that was originally earmarked for television. Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe are circling the project, which is being produced by Silver but has no home just yet, and that could shoot this fall.

Black is also very actively developing Doc Savage, the adaptation of the 1930s pulp hero for Sony. He recently met with Chris Hemsworth for the title role, but it’s unclear when that project would shoot since it’s still grappling with budgetary issues. Sony, however, does consider Savage one of its priorities.

Black is repped by WME, GreenLit Creative and Bloom Hergott.

Dekker, who directed Monster Squad as well as Robocop 3, is also repped by WME.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Shane Black's Predator Reboot

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:39 pm

Okay, I realize this morning I did say that pitting John Rambo against the Predator was probably the only way to get me interested in a new Predator movie. Well, I guess getting Shane Black involved is another way to get me interested. Well, I'll at least read about this project until I hear something that pisses me off.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby so sorry on Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:36 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Okay, I realize this morning I did say that pitting John Rambo against the Predator was probably the only way to get me interested in a new Predator movie. Well, I guess getting Shane Black involved is another way to get me interested. Well, I'll at least read about this project until I hear something that pisses me off.

Do me a favor: can you go in the Terminator reboot thread and say that the only way to get you interested is if James Cameron or Linda Hamilton get involved? Lets see if you can work some more magic...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: Hawkins Lives

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:17 pm

'Iron Man 3' director Shane Black signs to bring the 'Predator' series back to life
Even better, he's co-writing with his 'Monster Squad' writing partner
The artist formerly known as Moriarty wrote:Oh, I see what you did there, Fox. Sneaky. I like it.

I'm not even remotely surprised that Fox is working to make a new "Predator" movie. I don't really care what they call it… reboot, remake, sequel, update… whatever. They'll never stop making "Predator" movies. They'll do it anytime they've got an idea that's even vaguely commercial, because it's an evergreen property for them. They don't have to license any rights. They're not playing with someone else's material. Like with the "Alien" series, they own "Predator" completely, and they've proven repeatedly that they're willing to bend those icons in a million different ways.

Attaching Shane Black to co-write and direct the film is, for anyone who knows the first film, an especially sly move. Black is in the original film, playing one of the soldiers, and he appeared in that film during the heyday of what are known as the Pad O' Guys days, where Black and several other friends all shared a place. Ryan Rowe, Ed Solomon, James Herzfeld, and Gregory Widen were all members of the Pad O' Guys, as was the guy who first pushed Black to become a screenwriter, Fred Dekker. Dekker and Black co-wrote "The Monster Squad," which Dekker directed.

It's exciting to hear that Dekker and Black are going to collaborate again on this new "Predator" incarnation. I think those guys are both smart and fun genre geeks who are at their best when they're cutting loose on pure pulp. One of the reasons I think the "Predator" series is more interesting to return to than the "Alien" series is because they never got hung up on one human character as the overall lead of the series. I love Ripley… don't get me wrong. But I think making her the recurring thing that ties the "Alien" series together sort of tied the hands of the various filmmakers who have worked on those films over the years.

Black's a really good director. I dig "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang," and he handled "Iron Man 3" with a nimble sense of wit. Him directing a new "Predator" movie sounds like it could be great fun. Fox has, with this decision, rekindled my interest in the film. These two guys working together on a quintessentially '80s project sounds like pretty much the ideal combination of elements, and here's hoping they knock it out of the park.

Now here's hoping Black and Dekker (yes, I know) don't feel the need to shoe-horn Arnold into the thing somewhere. Let that one go, fellas, because I'm sure you can come up with something way more fun than yet another strangled nod to nostalgia.
Last edited by TheButcher on Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:18 pm

Shane Black Is Rebooting PREDATOR
Devin Faraci wrote:If you're going to get stuck in a reboot circle jerk you should get stuck in a reboot circle jerk with a guy who really knows how to jerk you off.

I can't believe I started this story with that sentence. I think Google will display that sentence when this article comes up in searches.

Where was I? Rebooting Predator is one of those decisions that feels obvious and boring.. until you hear that Shane Black is directing and that he's writing a treatment that his old buddy Fred Dekker will turn into a complete script. It's like putting a pair of Bad Idea Jeans on somebody who only has good ideas.

Predator fans will know that Shane Black is actually in Predator, as one of Arnie's squad members, and that he has the best joke in the movie ("Jeez you gotta big pussy... Jeez you gotta big pussy"). The producers wanted Black to do a polish on the movie, and they enticed him onto set by giving him the role.

Black and Dekker (!!!) went to UCLA together and Black wrote the script for Dekker's Monster Squad. Dekker is one of the most underrated directors of the 80s, although it's possible that he's underrated simply because his canon is so small. He's also a great writer, and having him on Predator means we're looking at a movie that will likely have a sense of structure, characters and humor. And if the timing works out we'll probably get it just in time for the 30th anniversary of the original film. Get your listicles ready.

Black has other projects simmering, including a new version of the pulp character Doc Savage, but I imagine that this is going to be his number one priority at the moment.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:24 pm

Exclusive: Shane Black Says His PREDATOR Film Is a Sequel, Not a Reboot
Adam Chitwood wrote:While the initial report said that Black’s new Predator film would be a reboot, Black tells us that he and Dekker see the project as definitely not a reboot, “As far as Fred and I are concerned anyway,” Black said, adding “Why start over, when you’ve all this rich mythology yet to mine?” Black said he doesn’t like reboots generally, but can “really get behind inventive sequels”, noting that he likes “the idea of expanding and exploring the existing Predator mythology, rather than hitting the restart button.” He went on to say that Dekker, who’s writing the screenplay, is “perfect” for the project, adding the two had a blast writing the screenplay for The Monster Squad together. Indeed, the result of their previous collaboration makes the prospect of the new Predator film even more enticing.

More often than not, a reboot is a lazy way of avoiding the hard work of coming up with a new idea, and instead choosing to use the blueprint of what came before. What Black and Dekker have planned for Predator, however, sounds like something fresh yet in step with the spirit of the original films, and that’s worth getting excited about. Just exactly what portions of the Predator mythology will be mined for this new film are under wraps for now, but I’m eager to see what surprises Black and Dekker have up their sleeves.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:57 am

So at least we'll get to see how Predators celebrate Christmas then, right?
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Peven on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:01 pm

I am guessing we will get to see a pair of Black and white wise-cracking special forces duos take on the Predators this time, as long as Daman Wayans, Bruce Willis, Mel Gibson, and Danny Glover will be up for it

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:03 pm

Darren Lynn Bousman to Direct Sci-Fi Action Movie APEX; Described as PREDATOR Meets CALL OF DUTY

'Saw' Director to Helm Sci-Fi Action Project 'Apex' (Exclusive)
Borys Kit wrote:Darren Lynn Bousman, who directed several of the Saw movies, is attached to helm Apex, an indie sci-fi action project from 2511 Productions.

Described as Predator meets Call of Duty, the plot tells of a Special Ops team sent to obtain a WMD from North Korea that is transported to another world. The team then finds themselves pitted against a dangerous alien race.

James E. Cavanaugh conceived the idea and wrote the screenplay with an eye on current scientific trends in physics and biology.

Apex is being produced by 2511 Productions in association with Ambiance Pictures. Producing are Joe Di Maio, whose credits include Kid Cannibis and The Last Call, and Aaron Ray, who was involved with the V/H/S anthology horror movies and whose credits include Big Momma's House and the Michael Douglas drama Beyond a Reasonable Doubt. Cavanaugh will also produce.

The producers, who are looking at Apex as a transmedia property, hope to reveal key art and alien designs timed to this year's Comic-Con.

Bousman's trio of Saw movies (numbers II, III, and IV) grossed over $440 million worldwide, and the director is also behind the cult movies Repo! The Genetic Opera and The Devil's Carnival.

Bousman sees Apex as "a love letter to the sci-fi films I grew up watching with my dad, such as Alien, Predator, Enemy Mine, Tremors. But I also want it to have the more modern feel of some of the recent video games I am currently playing, like Halo and Call of Duty."

Bousman said he wants to meld 1980s movies-style action with the reality and details seen in such war films such as Lone Survivor.

"This can be a balls-to-the-walls action fantasy and it's franchisable outside of the movie universe," said Bousman. "There is a whole world to explore with Apex."

He is repped by Verve, Zero Gravity Management and Skrzyniarz and Mallean.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:58 am

Shane Black’s ‘Predator’ Sequel Will “Reinvent the Franchise”, Says Producer John Davis
The 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' filmmaker is co-writing the script with 'Monster Squad' scribe Fred Dekker.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 01, 2016 7:38 am

Shane Black Will Make That Predator Reboot a ‘Spectacle,’ and a Couple Other Gems From His Thrillist Interview
Sean Fitz-Gerald wrote:Tied to the new Nice Guys trailer, Thrillist asked director Shane Black to dish about his latest buddy action-comedy. The extensive interview delved into everything from the movie's origins (the script's genesis dates back to 2001) to its squealing (all Gosling) to its giant bee (semi-spoiler divulged here; click only if you don't care about this guy). And because that's not enough, the multihyphenate also shared promising bits of info about his Predator reboot, relationship with Marvel, and Doc Savage adaptation. Read on for the latter highlights below:

Major Spectacle Alert
How the Predator reboot will be less like the Predator, you know, and more like the Iron Man III, you know:

They called me and I was reluctant. I said, "Look. You guys at Fox, I mean, I enjoy these movies, but we've been churning out these AVP whatever, they each cost a certain amount of money, they're okay, but there's no effort to elevate them or make them any kind of an event." They're just sort of another Predator. "Oh, there's another one that came out." They said, "What if we said to you we want to reinvent this, and really treat it with as much of an event status, or as much hoopla as we would the Alien prequel, which is coming out also? We really want to make this something. The kind of movie that people line up for." I said, "Really, you'll spend a bunch of money?" They go, "Yep." I go, "Make it really scale, spectacle?" "Yep." "Shit, that sounds interesting." ... The first one was great, and it was contained, and it was a perfect little gem for what it was. I think there's an expansion that needs to take place, and also just a love for that era, that movie, and the mythology of the Predator. I think that they came to me knowing pretty much that... they said, basically, if I wanted to make Predator but treat it like it was Iron Man III instead of just another little movie. I said, "Let's really do it right this time."

What a Savage
The Man of Bronze has been tentatively cast:

Doc Savage is sort of in the ether now. We're hoping to make it sometime next year. I would very much like to do Doc with a fellow named Dwayne Johnson if we can make that work. I made a decision that Dwayne is the guy. It's on the back burner while he's busy.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 01, 2016 7:38 am

Exclusive: Shane Black Reveals When ‘The Predator’ Will Take Place
He also addresses the possibility of Arnold Schwarzenegger returning to the franchise.
ShaneBlack wrote:Well it means that I’m working on the script, and barring an act of God, a safe from the sky, there’s nothing that suggests it won’t be the next thing, and I’m getting more and more excited day by day. I mean, there’s great Predator movies, but to actually play with the idea of making it an event, not necessarily in scale—it doesn’t have to be huge—but it just has to feel like a Predator movie you want to see in the summer and line up for it. And that’s what we’re going for. Let’s get back to the excitement and innovation of that original movie where it felt fresh. I just want to find a way to make it feel fresh and that’s what we’re trying to do.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 07, 2016 2:32 am

The Predator to Begin Filming by October
Corporal Hicks wrote:The Predator to be filming by October according to Agence France Presse. With his latest film, The Nice Guys, due out at the end of May, Shane Black has been out promoting his upcoming comedy film. He has also been dropping some bits and pieces to do with his next project, The Predator. Talking to AFP, Shane Black revealed that filming on The Predator would start towards the end of the year:

Shane Black also spoke a little more about the scale of The Predator, hinting at a larger budget than the previous films: “Black said it would be a significantly “bigger” film than its three predecessors. “To the best of my knowledge, the train is rolling. It took some convincing because they’ve been putting out these movies all along with a $50-60 million budget, and they all had a guaranteed return.” Black previously spoke about the scale of his Predator sequel, describing it as an “event film”, something that people would be queuing up to see.

No cast has been confirmed, however Curtis James Jackson recently talked about the possibility of his appearance in The Predator and Arnold Schwarzenegger has said he is meeting with Black and would love to return. Speaking to AFP about Arnold, Shane Black said that Arnie’s involvement in The Predator is “something we’re looking into.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 12, 2016 8:08 pm

The Predator Exclusive: Shane Black Talks R-Rating and More
The Nice Guys director tells us a little about what to expect from the next Predator movie, and offers a Doc Savage update, too.
Edward Douglas wrote:Back in 1987, John McTiernan’s Predator helped to solidify Arnold Schwarzenegger’s status as an action star while introducing moviegoers to a new form of science fiction movie monster. A few months earlier, screenwriter Shane Black got his first big break in Hollywood when his script for Lethal Weapon was turned into a hit action-comedy for Mel Gibson. Six years later, Black would write Last Action Hero for Schwarzenegger.

Whether it’s coincidence or whether it’s fate, Shane Black (who co-wrote and directed Marvel Studios’ Iron Man 3) is now in development on a new movie based on the beloved classic called The Predator, and when Den of Geek spoke to him about his new movie The Nice Guys, starring Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling, we got an update and a little more information about it.

“That will have some elements of this (The Nice Guys) and some of Iron Man,” he told us. “Hopefully it will be a mixture where it’s an odd adventure, there’s a noir to it, but we’re trying to event-ize the Predator and make it new and fresh again.”

They have a script they like in place, but they still have to go through the casting process with hopes to start in November but possibly even starting sooner if they get the cast that Black wants. “We’re rolling and we’re ready to do this and I’m getting more excited day by day,” he said.

Considering that Black hopes to turn The Predator into more of an event movie, as opposed to genre or cult, we asked whether there was some mandate by Fox to make it PG-13 (like 2004’s Alien vs. Predator) or whether the studio is more open to an R-rating after the success of Deadpool, Black responded, “It’s an odd thing. Whether Deadpool helped is an open question, but I suspect it did. I made a condition of my participation with Predator that it be the same rating as the first movie, and the first movie was Rated R. In other words, I don’t want to cut away every time the Predator does something violent. I was watching the American version of The Grudge, which was PG-13, and I remember being so frustrated by the fact that everything that was scary in the Japanese version, they had to cut away from in the PG-13 American version.”

“There’s also a sensibility and a sense of brooding menace and we can have fun but there’s an element of horror that’s unmistakable in The Predator,” he continued. “I don’t want to have to compromise it by just treating it like a popcorn film. That said, I hope there’s some popcorn viewing available in it, too. It’s an R-rated popcorn movie, which is the best kind to me.”

Possibly a harder sell but just as exciting is Black’s long-time plans to revive the old pulp hero Doc Savage, which he also gave us an update on during our interview.

“Look, I think we have a fun script. I’m dearly in love with it," he told us. "The thing it has going for it is the passionate remembrance and the clarity in my mind as to what this thing should be, what it ought to achieve. We need a lead character and we’ve been pursuing a guy who says he’s very interested in doing it, he’d like to do it, and that’s this guy Dwayne Johnson. I think he’d play a terrific Doc. Here’s the problem. He’s really busy, so before I got to him, he’s got three movies lined up, so the fact that we had to wait is effectively what got me doing The Predator, cause I would have liked to do Doc but then that came along and I said, ‘Sure, great, good timing because we’re waiting for Dwayne Johnson to stop doing movies so we can get him for our movie, and hopefully that will be the next one.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:08 am

Shooting Dates Revealed for 'THE PREDATOR' and 'DEATH NOTE'!
THE PREDATOR will film in Vancouver from September 26 - December 20 of this year.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Shane Black's ‘The Predator’

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:01 am

Deadline:
Benicio Del Toro In Talks To Star In ‘Predator’ Reboot
EXCLUSIVE: Benicio Del Toro is in early talks to star in Predator, the reboot of the franchise in the works at 20th Century Fox. Shane Black is aboard to direct. The Nice Guys and Iron Man 3 helmer was actually co-starred in the 1987 original alongside Arnold Schwarzenegger, playing a member of Arnold’s team and the first to die at the hands of the Predator. Carl Weathers and Jesse Ventura also co-starred.

Black’s Monster Squad co-writer Fred Dekker is scripting the new Predator.

Del Toro is also aboard Soldado, the second installment of the drug war thriller that began with 2015’s Sicario. Gomorra director Stefano Sollima is helming after Denis Villenueve led the first one, and Taylor Sheridan has again written the script. Black Label Media and Lionsgate are co-financing. Additionally, he has a role in Star Wars: Episode VIII.

Del Toro is repped by CAA, LBI Entertainment and Hansen, Jacobson.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:09 pm

Shane Black Says ‘The Predator’ Will Be Scary, Funny, and Wondrous
The sequel's co-writer/director also reveals when filming begins and teases the main characters.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:17 am

TheButcher wrote:Shane Black Says ‘The Predator’ Will Be Scary, Funny, and Wondrous
The sequel's co-writer/director also reveals when filming begins and teases the main characters.

Getting an R rating is step one, so that's good.

Chances that he gets Arnold in a supporting role? I'd say 50%. He could play the military guy in the beginning of the film that brings Dutch and his squad down to South America.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:30 pm

i think the fact that people are so hung up on an R rating is a damning statement on not only the lack of real quality film-making these days but the lack of appreciation for quality film-making in favor of profanity, nudity, or gore. i doubt anyone ever looked at the Mona Lisa and said, "you know, it would be a GREAT painting if we could see her tits" :roll:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:47 pm

i'm glad to see someone is still out there representing for puritanism.

we're talking about a Predator film. no amount of "quality film-making" is going to put this anywhere in the neighborhood of the Mona Lisa. though it's worth pointing out that Michaelangelo's David, the Venus de Milo, several Shakespeare plays and Goya paintings, Mapplethorpe, Rubens, every Greek sculpture ever, and countless other art masterpieces featuring nudity, dismemberment, beheadings, rape, etc. throughout history would struggle to get anything less than an R or worse from the MPAA.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:49 pm

Peven wrote:i think the fact that people are so hung up on an R rating is a damning statement on not only the lack of real quality film-making these days but the lack of appreciation for quality film-making in favor of profanity, nudity, or gore. i doubt anyone ever looked at the Mona Lisa and said, "you know, it would be a GREAT painting if we could see her tits" :roll:

So you're saying after seeing Deadpool (for example), you'd still love it to pieces if all the cussin' was removed to get it down to a PG13 rating?

There IS a level of quality that can come with an R rating, and that quality comes from the film makers not having to worry about stupid shit like "can't say fuck more than 10 times, and that girls cleavage is too revealing."

Not to say there isn't a level of quality with PG flicks, but when your subject matter is a giant killer alien who is on the hunt for humans, I think some blood guts and gore are all in play.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: Shane Black's Aliens vs Predator - Requiem Reboot

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:11 pm

Olivia Munn Joining Boyd Holbrook in Shane Black's 'Predator' Reboot (Exclusive)
Munn will play a scientist opposite Holbrook's Special Forces commando.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Shane Black's Aliens vs Predator - Requiem Reboot

Postby so sorry on Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:44 pm

TheButcher wrote:Olivia Munn Joining Boyd Holbrook in Shane Black's 'Predator' Reboot (Exclusive)
Munn will play a scientist opposite Holbrook's Special Forces commando.

Uh oh.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:52 am

AICN:
Muldoon Chats Monster Making and Explosions with THE MONSTER's Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff!
Muldoon wrote:
Hello ladies and gentlemen, Muldoon here with an all too brief chat with Alec Gillis and Tom Woodroff. While you might not necessarily know their names, you know their work as they've created Aliens (literally helped build Aliens in Cameron's ALIENS), helped you believe a robot from the future could travel back in time to take out Linda Hamilton, and have designed The Predator creatures for years. In my eyes, these two are the cream of the crop, artists who stand at the same level as folks like Shannon Shea or Greg Nicotero... No doubt are these two individuals men who have more stories than you can imagine about how they helped bring so many pieces of rubber to life, but alas the opportunity to pick their brains came as a result of their latest endeavor, Bryan Bertino's THE MONSTER, and as such - out of respect for that opportunity, I pretty much stuck with questions about that specific film. If you haven't already, just click over on Alec or Tom's IMDB page and get a feel for their individual contributions to movies as we all know them. Having seen THE MONSTER, I can attest that it's not your typical monster movie. It's a film that's dark and hard to watch at times, and ultimately has one hell of a cool creature! (Go figure!) The film is currently in theaters and On Demand, so if you're into badass monsters, think about watching that bit of nightmare fuel from Bertino and company!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:42 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: Shane Black's Predator Remix

Postby TheButcher on Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:20 am

BMD:
And Now Thomas Jane May Join Shane Black’s THE PREDATOR
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Cast photo

My first impressions...

the kid...just out of fucking place.

None of these guys are sufficiently jacked like Arnie's crew.

Didn't even recognize Oliva Munn. Something looks off about her?

How the fuck am I ever supposed to take the Key and Peele guy seriously?

And finally... NEED TO SEE A PREDATOR STAT!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:16 pm

THR March 24, 2017:
Edward James Olmos Joins Shane Black's 'Predator' Reboot (Exclusive)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Predator 1987

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:18 pm

Guns and (Shea) Butter: An Oral History of 'Predator'
To commemorate the 30th anniversary of the action-horror classic's release, THR spoke to key players who persevered through oppressive heat, bugs, a "red rubber chicken" and the diva-esque behavior of a future star (no, not that one) to launch a franchise.
Pete Keeley wrote:In June 1987, 20th Century Fox released Predator. The story, by first-time screenwriters Jim and John Thomas, centered on Maj. Dutch Schaefer (Arnold Schwarzenegger, then still not quite having joined the first-name-only club), the leader of a team of mercenaries sent into the Central American jungle on a rescue mission who come face to face (well, Dutch does at least) with an alien hunter who makes trophies of men's skulls.

The film combined pioneering visual effects, pithy dialogue, abundant gore, big-ass guns (of all kinds) and "one ugly motherf—er" of a now-iconic movie monster. It was a hit with audiences upon its release, but in the years since its legacy has only grown.

Whether it was the heat of the jungle or the haze of time that accrues over three decades, the stories from people involved took on almost a Rashomon-like quality. Why did the studio shut the film down? How much of the film was completed at that point (estimates range from "90 percent" to "less than half")? What happened with the original Predator design? (Did it look like a "cockroach," a "f—ing chicken," a "bloody big rat"?) Why did Jean-Claude Van Damme — who was originally cast to play the alien — get fired?

One thing that everyone whom THR spoke with did agree on, however: Filming in the jungle in the dead of summer is, uh, not ideal.

The origin of Predator.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Movie News