THE CROW- REMAKE

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

THE CROW- REMAKE

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:22 pm

Nick Cave rewriting script for The Crow remake

I haven't seen The Proposition, but to me the idea of a remake of The Crow just screams "TOO SOON"...but maybe that's just me getting old as it was now 16 years ago.

The Crow hit when I was in High School, and while I haven't watched it in its entirety in years, I still actually listen to the soundtrack from time to time.

People seem to really like Cave. I know very little about him. Should I be happy, mad or indifferent?
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Re: THE CROW- REMAKE

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:49 pm

I haven't really followed this series super closely, but hasn't every 'sequel' been a re-imagining of the same story?

It's always some kung-fu zombie dude taking the Bronson role in a DEATH WISH story right?

So hasn't it prettymuch been constantly remade over and over since its release?

I dunno, this remake doesn't bother me.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby travis-dane on Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:58 pm

Lord Voldemoo wrote:Nick Cave rewriting script for The Crow remake

I haven't seen The Proposition, but to me the idea of a remake of The Crow just screams "TOO SOON"...but maybe that's just me getting old as it was now 16 years ago.

The Crow hit when I was in High School, and while I haven't watched it in its entirety in years, I still actually listen to the soundtrack from time to time.

People seem to really like Cave. I know very little about him. Should I be happy, mad or indifferent?

Nick Cave wrote that never made Gladiator sequel, where Russel Crowe(!) comes back from the dead and kills lots of dudes.

Fans have uncovered Nick Cave's script for the sequel to Ridley Scott's Gladiator, years after the idea was proposed and eventually dismissed.

Cave's supernatural, century-spanning screenplay, written at the request of star Russell Crowe, has to be one of the most bombastic, jaw-dropping might have beens in cinema.

Following the success of Gladiator, released in 2000, Crowe and Scott invited Cave to write a script for the sequel. They hoped that the macabre musician could find a creative solution to Gladiator 2's main hurdle – that Maximus, Crowe's character, dies at the end of the first film.

The Bad Seed certainly came up with an inventive solution. According to one blog's synopsis of the script, Crowe's Maximus meddles with Roman gods in the afterlife, is reincarnated, defends early Christians, reunites with his son, and ultimately lives forever – leading tanks in the second world war and even mucking around in the modern-day Pentagon.

Unfortunately, this was too daft for the studios. "We tried [to go with Cave's script]," Scott told UGO. "Russell didn't want to let it go, obviously, because it worked very well. When I say 'worked very well', I don't refer to success. I mean, as a piece it works very well. Storytelling, [it] works brilliantly. I think [Cave] enjoyed doing it, and I think it was one of those things that he thought, 'Well, maybe there's a sequel where we can adjust the fantasy and bring [Maximus] back from the dead.'"

Sounds familiar doesnt it?
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:26 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:I haven't really followed this series super closely, but hasn't every 'sequel' been a re-imagining of the same story?

It's always some kung-fu zombie dude taking the Bronson role in a DEATH WISH story right?

So hasn't it prettymuch been constantly remade over and over since its release?

I dunno, this remake doesn't bother me.

That's probably true, I've generally ignored the sequels.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:42 am

I'm also not really sure how an actor could do the whole homicidal gothic clown who strikes fear into the mob thing without drawing comparisons to Ledger's The Joker.

And ten bucks says they try to make the whole thing look like SIN CITY.

It would take a real visionary director to make a CROW remake feel fresh and interesting. The more I think about it, I'm guessing this will end up more of a MAX PAYNE level of movie. Just a barely-functional shallow hodgepodge of a bunch of other trendy looks and styles.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:17 am

Spandau Belly wrote: The more I think about it, I'm guessing this will end up more of a MAX PAYNE level of movie. Just a barely-functional shallow hodgepodge of a bunch of other trendy looks and styles.

Ah! You're talking about the Crow sequels.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:06 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Hermanator X on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:28 am

Spandau Belly wrote:The more I think about it, I'm guessing this will end up more of a MAX PAYNE level of movie.

This is quite an apt quote after the Mark Wahlberg rumours this week. From all the way back in July too. I doff my hat to you Spandau.
Hello to any casting agents reading this forum for ideas, Im available for superman. I make as much sense as MW for the crow, so gimme a call.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby jofussunshyne on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:00 pm

It has feet to run, but it's wether it can be remade correctly. It cannot be such a remake because the original still holds up very well, but I think if they get the right director and the right main character, along with a Morgan Freeman/Don Cheadle as Sergeant Albrecht, Chloe Moretz as Sarah and I'm sure there are currently a tremendous amount of talent there to play the bad guys. Jim Carrey floats round my head, don't know why.

Who knows? I'm definitely interested.
"What sick ridiculous puppets we are, and what gross little stage we dance on. What fun we have dancing and fucking, not a care in the world, not knowing that we are nothing, we are not what was intended." - John Doe, Se7en.
jofussunshyne
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby TheButcher on Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:34 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:53 am

TheButcher wrote:From Empire:
Wahlberg Out Of The Running For The Crow

Well there's a bit of good news.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:18 pm

Relativity secures major capital - Hundreds of millions positions studio to distrib at least 15 films per year
Ryan Kavanaugh's Relativity Media has secured a new round of financing -- in the hundreds of millions -- that positions the studio to realize its ambitions of becoming a bona fide Hollywood major.

New York-based hedge fund Elliott Associates, which helped Relativity get off the ground as its primary financier, has put up enough equity to allow Relativity to complete a larger bank facility in the multi-$100 million dollar range, Kavanaugh confirmed to Variety on Friday. The Relativity CEO was unable to disclose a precise figure due to the terms of the deal.

Relativity has rapidly ascended from a studio-dependent production company that released a handful of movies each year to a freestanding studio with its own distrib machinery.

Between the 9-10 movies Relativity plans to make a year and its burgeoning acquisitions business, the studio plans on distributing at least 15 films a year, Kavanaugh told Variety, adding that the infusion of significant capital "allows us to be a competitive, full-fledged studio." The movie mogul explained that given that "we have moved into the distribution business, doubled the size of our team, inked significant deals with Netflix, Technicolor and others, it has become a full-fledged studio -- and the infusion of capital will allow us to compete with the major studios."

Last summer, Relativity inked its lucrative Netflix deal to digitally stream its slate, bypassing pay-TV channels like HBO, Showtime and Starz. That deal initally covered the 10-14 films that Relativity doesn't co-finance, but terms were renegotiated to include up to 30 titles a year over the next five years, including co-productions.

Considering that Netflix struck separate $200 million-a-year streaming deals for films from Epix, and TV shows from CBS and ABC, Disney Channel and ABC Family, deal with Relativity should also put coin in the studio's coffers.

Relativity distributed Nicolas Cage-starrer "Season of the Witch" earlier this year, and while the genre film grossed a disappointing $24 million stateside, it performed well overseas and has now grossed over $71 million worldwide. Studio opened the '80s comedy "Take Me Home Tonight" this weekend, and has the Bradley Cooper-Robert De Niro thriller "Limitless" coming out March 18.

Looking forward, Relativity has high hopes for Tarsem Singh's "Immortals," which stars Mickey Rourke and Henry Cavill, who director Zack Snyder recently cast as Superman. The studio is also developing a sequel to 2008's sleeper hit "The Strangers," as well as a reboot of "The Crow" franchise.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby DennisMM on Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:10 pm

They could make a movie that's based strictly on the comic, if they wanted to do something a little different. It's even more emo than the first film.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:43 pm

'Crow' flies with Fresnadillo - Director set for Relativity re-imagining
Jeff Sneider wrote:Relativity Media is ready to resurrect "The Crow," as "28 Weeks Later" helmer Juan Carlos Fresnadillo has closed a deal to direct the studio's re-invention of the 1994 action cult classic.

Though no talent is attached yet, Relativity is looking to put "The Crow" into production this fall. Fresnadillo will collaboratively develop the screenplay once a writer is attached to adapt the script from James O'Barr's comic book series, which has sold more than a quarter-million copies worldwide.

Studio CEO Ryan Kavanaugh will produce along with original "Crow" producers Edward R. Pressman and Jeff Most, as well as Apaches Entertainment's Enrique López Lavigne and Belén Atienza. Relativity's Tucker Tooley will exec produce, while co-producers include Pressman Film Corporation's Jon Katz and Apaches' Jesús de la Vega, as well as José Ibáñez.

"Juan Carlos Fresnadillo is an incredibly talented and imaginative filmmaker," said Tooley. "We are thrilled to have him at the helm and are excited to work with both Pressman and Apaches on what we all believe will be a compelling and innovative reimagining of The Crow."

The reboot will again follow cult hero Eric Draven, who is resurrected as The Crow to avenge his wife's murder so he can reunite with her in the hereafter.

"The original Crow was groundbreaking cinema; its gothic visual and musical ideas influenced a generation and cinema itself," added Pressman. "With Juan Carlos, we have every confidence that his new Crow will have a similar impact on the contemporary audience."

The original, which grossed $51 million stateside, starred Brandon Lee, who was killed in a tragic accident during filming. Pic was subsequently dedicated to his memory, as well as his fiancee Eliza Hutton. It spawned three sequels that respectively starred Vincent Perez, Eric Mabius and Edward Furlong as The Crow, along with a TV series toplined by Mark Dacascos.

Fresnadillo recently presented the first trailer for his psychological thriller "Intruders," which stars Clive Owen. Story concerns an 11-year-old girl who is forced to confront childhood demons.

Helmer received an Oscar nom in 1997 for directing the live-action short film "Linked" ("Esposados"), and his zombie sequel "28 Weeks Later" grossed nearly $65 million worldwide in addition to posting strong sales on homevid.

UTA reps Fresnadillo and Apaches Entertainment, while Patrick Knapp of Bloom Hergott Diemer Rosenthal LaViolette Feldman Schenkman & Goodman, LLP and Katz brokered for Pressman Film Corp.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:50 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:25 pm

My idea was to have it be a rapper this time, but one talkbacker suggested Olivia Wilde be a nutso Lady Gaga style pop star who becomes the Crow this time. I would love that movie and it would make way more sense than a rocker dude. Back when the original came out lots of rockers still tried to act either tough or satanic which worked with the whole kung fu zombie horror nature of the film, but these days rockers are metro dweebs. I don't doubt that Cooper could play some metro douche like that dude from The Killers, but my question is would that type of guy make a good revenge-driven kung fu zombie? The answer in my opinion is no.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Bloo on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:10 pm

damn that Lady Gaga style crow is actually a bit inspired and I dig that
Bloo
ROOFIED BY RAYLAN

Postby TonyWilson on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:03 am

Yeh I have to agree that would be a seriously cool idea - Black Swan proves there a market for exploring female led horror/art (as in music, ballet etc etc not as in "arthouse") intersections and female revenge films go down well anyway.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby tapehead on Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:27 am

Any word on the Nick Cave script ? it kinda seems like they have disregarded it at this stage, but that seems kind of stupid to me.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:14 am

VARIETY EXCLUSIVE:
'Watchmen' scribe to pen 'The Crow' - Alex Tse to reboot iconic goth script for Relativity
Jeff Sneider wrote:Relativity Media and producer Edward R. Pressman have tapped "Watchmen" scribe Alex Tse to write their reinvention of "The Crow," based on the comic by James O'Barr.

Bradley Cooper is attached to star in the pic, which will be directed by Juan Carlos Fresnadillo ("28 Weeks Later").

Relativity's adaptation of "The Crow" is expected to be a gritty reboot of the iconic gothic character Eric Draven, who returns from the grave on a mission to avenge his wife's murder so that his soul can rest.

Relativity and Edward R. Pressman Film Corporation are teaming with Spain-based Apaches Entertainment on the production.

Pressman will produce with Relativity CEO Ryan Kavanaugh, Jeff Most and Apaches' Enrique López Lavigne and Belén Atienza. Relativity's Tucker Tooley and Apaches' Jesus de la Vega will exec produce, while José Ibáñez and Pressman Film Corp.'s Jon Katz will serve as co-producers.

Tse has previously worked on an adaptation of the graphic novel "Battling Boy" for Paramount and Brad Pitt's Plan B banner, a remake of "Ninja Scroll" for Warner Bros. and Leonardo DiCaprio's production co. Appian Way, "Gangland" for Joel Silver's Dark Castle banner and an adaptation of "The Phantom Tollbooth" for producer Donald DeLine. He also wrote and co-exec produced Spike Lee's "Sucker Free City" for Showtime.

Tse is represented by CAA, Brillstein Entertainment Partners and attorney Ira Scheck of Schreck Rose & Dapello.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby tfactor on Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:44 pm

I have to agree with Moo on this remake ... it is just Too Soon! But more so when I think of The Crow - I think of: The Cure, NIN, STP & Rage Against the machine! More so I remember a time and a summer unlike most others in my life, one of youth & more good times than I could mention in a single post.

Most importantly I remember the death of Brandon Lee, & that the original movie had some ground breaking special effects so as to allow the completion of the film without its star actor because he died tragically on-set. Then again I never even tried to watch any of the sequels based purely on it not being Brandon. However I will admit - I dressed up as the Crow on multiple Halloween celebrations / parties! :oops:

This movie Soundtrack can Not be outdone! Just like the performance - simply can not be outshined! Now I understand that there was a whole Comic Series that could be explored here that came from this concept but this movie has always stood alone (for me personally anyway). So let them *%#*ing remake it - I don't care! yeah I do! I will probably just ignore it like the other crap fests that followed the Original.

The first movie will always be in my Movie collection, just as the Soundtrack will always be available in my Music Collection. So from here - its going to take a lot more than Bradley Cooper being cast in the lead role, to get me excited for this "New" movie.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:59 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:52 pm

Deadline:
‘The Crow’ Flies With Director Corin Hardy
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:EXCLUSIVE:
Hardy replaces F. Javier Gutiérrez, who was attached but signed on to the direct the next installment of The Ring franchise. That made him unavailable to helm The Crow, which is slated for a spring production start with a script by Cliff Dorfman. Gutierrez will be exec producer and O’Barr a consultant. Joining Pressman as producers are Kevin Misher, Relativity’s Ryan Kavanaugh, Jeff Most (who produced the original with Pressman), and Jeff Waxman. Tucker Tooley, Bob and Harvey Weinstein and Dan Farah are exec producers.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:53 pm

Den of Geek
Luke Evans may be dropping out of The Crow too
Exclusive: The Crow reboot may be losing another leading man, as Luke Evans tells us the film is not progressing "for me"...

Luke Evans Talks about the Future of THE CROW Reboot; Will It Ever Get off
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:35 pm

Al Shut wrote:
so sorry wrote:
Fievel wrote:
so sorry wrote:Jason Momoa set to star in Crow remake

I think this guy is picking roles that allow him to keep his long flowing hair and mustache/goatee.

I thought this was another spoof.....good gods.....I thought it was a spoof!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think he was cast for the eye make-up.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Movie News