Matrix 4 & 5 (with a little Bill & Ted 3)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Matrix 4 & 5 (with a little Bill & Ted 3)

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:09 pm

AICN has a new thread up about it.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/48199

Hi guys,

Hope you're feeling better Harry, get well soon!

Long time reader, occasional news feeder. Writing from rainy old London, England. Surprised that no one has commented on this, lucky me I guess. Was lucky enough to attend a key note speech at the London school of performing Arts university and was honoured to be in the same room as Keanu Reeves who was the guest of honour. Keanu was here promoting his new movie Henry's Crime which is opening shortly.

keanu as always was his kind gentle self and spoke to the class for a good 45 mins about his big break in acting and his love for Shakespeare. the floor was then opened for Q&A and the following was note worthy;

- Says he's prepping a action movie around the world of the samurai and that it will be a hard "R" rated 3D action feast that will deliver some great martial art set pieces. he's into 2 months of a 6 month training programme.

- Spoke briefly about the possibility of Bill and Ted part 3 - ( Audience started laughing) but he assured us he's committed to the project.

this is where the fun begins. Some great info shared with us good people.....

- Says he met the Wachowski's (no emphasis on the word brothers), for lunch over Christmas and stated that they had completed work on a two picture script treatment that would see him return to the world of the matrix as Neo. Says the brothers have met with Jim Cameron to discuss the pro's and con's of 3D and are looking to deliver something which has never been seen again. keanu stated that he still has an obligation to the fans to deliver a movie worthy of the title "The Matrix" and he swears this time that the treatment will truly revolutionise the action genre like the first movie. Wachowski's are working on a movie called "Cloud Atlas" at the moment, once that concludes they will talk again.

- Keanu spoke about the need to encourage writers to continue to focus on working on new ideas and that a good script was worth its weight in gold. For example he said the Wachowski's had just sold the most expensive script in history to Warner Brothers. a modern futuristic take on the legend of "Robin Hood". Says he understands WB paid $5 million for the rights and that from what the wachowski's have told him, it will be an action movie that would have the same impact visually and technically that Terminator 2 had. Confirmed that Will Smith has agreed ti headline the picture.

Umm...Bill and Ted 3..Hell yeah.

Matrix 4 and 5. I'm not so sure. Someone else can start the Bill and Ted 3 thread, or the "Matrix 6 (cos you know it's gonna happen)" threads
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Re: Matrix 4 & 5 (with a little Bill & Ted 3)

Postby Fievel on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:47 pm

Bill & Ted could be a really fun movie.

Matrix 4 & 5 - you know the minute those "siblings" saw Avatar they knew they should have waited 10 years to do The Matrix. Bullet-Time in 3D.... could be fun to watch. As far as the story? I'm intrigued that they have more to tell in that world.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:54 pm

THE MATRIX 4 with Keanu and the Wachowskis???

I think even the other 98% of the world that hated the sequels would at least agree that the end of MATRIX 3 brought the story to a pretty definite conclusion.

But I won't act like I won't watch it, because I will.
Last edited by Spandau Belly on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:12 pm

- Says he's prepping a action movie around the world of the samurai and that it will be a hard "R" rated 3D action feast that will deliver some great martial art set pieces. he's into 2 months of a 6 month training programme.

I MIGHT BE IN THAT!!!! Fingers crossed. My agent said the film is looking oriental types to be Extras in it and some fighting with swords, martial arts, wrestling, whips, swinging dead cats and Mel Gibson's racist language might be involved. Wish me luck. When I was in a Kings Cross hooker bar in Sydney, my mates id encourage a 'mature' hostess to shag me as I was a "Keanu Reeves lookalike gone wrong".

- Keanu spoke about the need to encourage writers to continue to focus on working on new ideas and that a good script was worth its weight in gold. For example he said the Wachowski's had just sold the most expensive script in history to Warner Brothers. a modern futuristic take on the legend of "Robin Hood".

BAAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!! Keanu Fuck Off!!! Are you bloody joking? What a dick hypocrit!! Talking about new ideas and originality then he bangs on that he's making Bill and Ted 3 an Matrix 234 and 9382 and also redoing flipping ROBIN HOOD!! Like that idea is new!! way. Futuristic or not, it's not a NEW idea. Prat.

Um, do you think Keanu will not hire me for 46, I mean 47 Ronin now that I've said this?

Spandau Belly wrote:THE MATRIX 4 with Keanu and the Wachowskis???

I won't act like I won't watch it, because I will.

I won't. Instead I'll just lecture you guys about being putzes and force you to watch something new and original and boring and black and white and foreign but make no sense but they must be the best movies EVAAAHH as all the top smug stuck up critics say so. As these are the movies that matter and should be BO gold, DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL WHERE YOU WATCH ROSIE O' DONNELL MOVIES ON LOOP YOU FUX!!!!!!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:00 am

From The Playlist:
Keanu Reeves Was Never In London; Reported ‘Matrix’ Sequels Not Happening
Kevin Jagernauth wrote:Looks like no one will be taking the red pill again anytime soon. Over the weekend, reports surfaced that during a talk at the London International School of Performing Arts, actor Keanu Reeves revealed, among many other things, that the Wachowskis had finished a two picture treatment for more “The Matrix” sequels with an eye to do it in 3D. One little problem however. Keanu Reeves never gave that talk.

We reached out to reps for the actor and were told that “none of it is true…he did not speak nor get an award from the from the London International School of Performing Arts.” So, chalk this one up to a fan hoax and nothing more.

However, if you do want to see Keanu Reeves once again kick some ass, he’s gearing up for the 3D samurai tale “47 Ronin,” which will be going in front of cameras this year and is slated for a November 21, 2012 release.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Bill & Ted 3

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:04 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Bill & Ted 3

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:49 am

From MTV:
Keanu Reeves Says 'Bill And Ted 3' Script Is Weeks Away, Plot Spins Out Of 'Bogus Journey' Ending
Josh Wigler wrote:"I believe the writers are six weeks away from a draft," Reeves told MTV News during an interview today to promote "Henry's Crime," his upcoming movie co-starring Vera Farmiga. "No pressure, guys!"

That's not all—in addition to a forthcoming first draft, Reeves offered some details about the threequel's plot.

"I know a little bit. But I don't know — the fellas went off and cooked it up," he teased. "I don't know what happened when they put the elements together."

Then Reeves opened up considerably, revealing that the plot ties directly into the ending of "Bogus Journey," when Bill and Ted's Wyld Stallyns became the best band in the universe.

"When we last got together, part of it was that Bill and Ted were supposed to have written the song that saved the world, and it hasn't happened," he said. "So they've now become kind of possessed by trying to do that. Then there's an element of time and they have to go back."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:12 pm

EXCLUSIVE: Werner Herzog Will Consider Directing Bill & Ted 3
Way back in September of 2010, actor Keanu Reeves joked to MTV that he'd like to get acclaimed documentary and feature film director Werner Herzog behind the lens on the long awaited sequel Bill & Ted 3.

That seems like a long shot, for sure. But more surprising things have happened. And Werner is certainly an interesting choice to take on the further adventures of The Wyld Stallyns, especially now that they will be dealing with a mid-life existential crisis. Themes explored in a great deal of Werner Herzog's best work.

We haven't had a solid update on Bill & Ted 3 since April, when Alex Winter revealed that the script, by original Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure scribes Chris Matheson and Ed Solomon, was completed. We chatted with Werner Herzog today in support of his most non-heinous documentary Into the Abyss: A Tale of Death, A Tale of Life, so we decided to see what he had to say about possibly directing Bill & Ted 3. Guess what? If the script is good, he'll do it!

Here is what he had to say about the possibility of directing Bill & Ted 3.

"I have not seen the first and the second (movie). So I do not know for sure. But, if it is a good screenplay, Yes! I am ready for all sorts of wild stuff."

Now, someone just needs to get the script into his hands. He has some free time coming up as he awaits financing on his next project. Bill & Ted 3 directed by Werner Herzog sounds like a masterpiece. Can you think of a better director for this long awaited sequel?

Bill & Ted 3 is in development and stars Alex Winter, Keanu Reeves.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:25 am

Bill & Ted 3 Still a Long Ways Off Says Alex Winter
Brian Gallagher wrote:We haven't heard much on the progress of Bill & Ted 3 lately, since Alex Winter revealed in April that the script by Ed Solomon and Chris Matheson was completed. Alex Winter recently spoke about the comedy sequel, revealing it is still a long way from happening.
"I don't know. In all frankness, it's just a slow universe. It took us fifteen years to come up with an idea that we thought we'd want to do. We is just me and Keanu (Reeves) and Chris (Matheson) and Ed (Solomon) and we're all really close friends. We talk about it from time to time and we see each other a lot anyway. It's always like, 'Is there anything there to do? Is there a 'there' there?' A couple years ago, we were having dinner and we came up with an idea which has evolved over the years that we thought was really great. And we spent another year developing it just the four of us. Then Chris and Ed spent another year writing it. And the script only got finished two months ago and it's really green. It's the beginning of what could be nothing, franly. There's hooplah because frickin' Reeves keeps blathering about it. Every time he's interviewed he talks about it and he's one of my closest friends and I love him dearly but I think he's got a very post-modern sense of humor. I think he's doing it partially just to fuck with people. Because if he says it, everyone goes crazy and I think he just goes 'Muah ha ha'. [But] we wrote a script, we like it, we don't really even have the rights. We kinda have the rights. There's a long road of crap we have to deal with before it ever, if it ever, becomes a movie. I can tell you that Chris and Ed are really great writers and the script is fantastic so it would be fun to do. I really don't care that much to be honest with you...but if it doesn't get made I'll post the script on the net. People will see what we did in some form. It's a really, really, really good script. They did a great job, it's funny as hell, and it's really weird. It's not like some lame-ass retro thing. It's fucking weird. It's really weird. But funny and hugely bankable if anyone is recording this."

Back in November, we reported that director Werner Herzog was considering directing Bill & Ted 3. It seems that isn't exactly the case, though, according to Alex Winter.
"Herzog said yes, not knowing anything about it. Jokingly. No one asked him officially."

Sources: IndieWire
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:56 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:05 pm

From BC:
Bill And Ted 3 Sounds Rather Interesting
The movies were always about rock & roll, that was a big part of the movies, so what’s happened to rock & roll in the last twenty years? The movie’s gonna get in and play with some of that stuff – where’s rock, where are we, what’s happened to the whole idea of saving the world, or what hasn’t happened?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:55 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:46 pm

From THR:
Keanu Reeves Reveals 'Bill & Ted 3' Plot Details
With rumors of a sequel gaining steam, the Wyld Stallyn himself dishes some story information to "GQ" magazine.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:47 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:33 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:02 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:51 pm

TCA: Keanu Reeves Talks ‘Bill & Ted 3′
LISA DE MORAES wrote:Keanu Reeves came to a Summer TV Press Tour Q&A session to talk — sometimes in French – about the workflow of digital versus the workflow of photochemical film. Yes, it was mind-numbing but, in fairness, it is the subject of the documentary he’s here to plug, Side By Side. Yes, it was released as a feature film about a year ago. But PBS is airing it on August 30. More accurately, PBS is airing parts of it – cut it down a bunch. Anyway, at some point, some brave TV critic screwed up the nerve to ask Reeves about the status of Bill & Ted 3. More than a year ago, Reeves told GQ the third iteration of the slacker sci-fi franchise would have B&T trying to write the world’s greatest song, and traveling, Ebenezer Scrooge-style, to see what they’ll be like in the future if they fail to finish this tune. Back then, the script was either coming along nicely or finished, depending on who you Google.

“There’ve been a couple of drafts now,” Reeves said this afternoon. “And we’re waiting on the writers to come up with another draft.

Which we’re all looking forward to,” he added wryly.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:31 am

Bill & Ted 3 Is Ready But Needs Financing Says Keanu Reeves
Brian Gallagher wrote:Back in November, Alex Winter confirmed that Bill & Ted 3 is still in the works, despite Keanu Reeves' comments from September that a "darkness" has fallen upon the highly-anticipated sequel. During an interview with Today for 47 Ronin, Keanu Reeves confirmed that they are still looking for financing, while revealing that the characters evolve in the sequel.

"Yeah, there's a story; there's a script. We're trying to get the dough together to make this crazy story. I can talk about it, but I shouldn't talk about it. They do indeed evolve."

When asked about playing Ted Logan at the age of 50, which he turns next year, the actor had this to say.

"I'm open to the idea of that. I think it's pretty surreal, playing Bill & Ted at 50. But we have a good story in that. You can see the life and joy in those characters, and I think the world can always use some life and joy."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Matrix 4, 5 & 6

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:59 am

Latino Review:
Exclusive: New Matrix Trilogy on the Horizon!
Kellvin Chavez wrote:Little bit of background before we get into the scoop. The studios M.O. has always been to deny any story before all the “pieces” are final.

For example, J.J. Abrams and the Khan denials, the new Star Wars trilogy, ID4 Sequels are all news stories broken by fan boy sites that were denied and ended up being TRUE. We can go on and on and with more examples but nonetheless, the studios and its reps will lie.

The scoop! For years people have joked, assumed and even have posted stories about new Matrix movies being in the works to eventually be revealed that the story was not true… How things have changed.

There is an old saying in Spanish, “Por La Plata Baila El Mono”, which loosely translates to “For the Money, The Monkey Dances.”

Cue the music, the monkey is about to dance.

The Wachowski siblings have a very long history over at Warner Bros. but with the exception of the Matrix Trilogy, none of their movies have had great financial success.

Speed Racer/Cloud Atlas tanked and let’s not kid ourselves, by the looks of it, Jupiter Ascending will not be much better.

We’ve been told that the Wachowski’s have already started the writing process with early treatments and outlines already turned into the studio. No word if they will want to direct but my money says “Claro que Si!”.

Warner Bros. is desperate for a surefire franchise and will be making a push to have the new Matrix films ready to up against any new Star Wars and Avatar films by 2017.

So the big question, will Mr. Anderson be back? Who knows!! One of the early outlines was about the birth of the Matrix and now that WB is Terminator-less, some of suits would like to explore that early world but it’s way too early and the story is still very fluid.

I’ve been also told to that the previous animated Matrix films will not have any effect on the live action movies.

Will keep you updated with all the denials.

The derisive ending of the original Matrix trilogy include the bearded Architect suggesting that Neo wasn’t the first “One,” opening the story world for prequels.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:49 pm

Warner Bros. is desperate for a surefire franchise and will be making a push to have the new Matrix films ready to up against any new Star Wars and Avatar films by 2017.

At this point, MATRIX sequels/prequels are not a surefire success. I would say far from it. Probably the opposite.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Ribbons on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:33 am

We can only hope it's about The Architect, and that he gets to talk a lot.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Spandau Belly on Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:33 am

Make it about The Architect and The Oracle's relationship when they were younger. Like BLUE VALENTINE but .....in 3D!
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:29 am

Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure: A Guided Tour
Alex Winter takes us through the Circuits of Time
NICK DE SEMLYEN wrote:Somehow, it's been 25 years since Bill S. Preston Esq. (Alex Winter) and Ted Theodore Logan (Keanu Reeves) mastered time travel in order to get pointers on their school history presentation. To celebrate this most triumphant fact, Winter joined us on the phone from Los Angeles to share his memories of the shoot. And to give it a novel spin, we're going historical figure by historical figure. Don't worry, it'll all make sense — we're professionals.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:21 am

Warner Bros. Wins Lawsuit Claiming It Stole 'The Matrix'
It's official: The Matrix trilogy had nothing to do with Nazis.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:08 am

They should make that guy's movie. Get Snipes and rewrite it as a sequel to BLADE, or just do it straight up with Christopher Lambert.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:26 am

TheButcher wrote:Warner Bros. Wins Lawsuit Claiming It Stole 'The Matrix'
It's official: The Matrix trilogy had nothing to do with Nazis.

The judge notes that allusions to Christ are generally not protected by copyright.

phew! the superman movies are still safe.

"Plaintiff alleges that both stories have allusions to Christ," notes the judge. "However, allusions to Christianity in literature date back hundreds of years and are not generally protectible. Looking at the details of the works, the two works express these themes very differently. The Christian allusions in The Immortals concludes with the literal Second Coming of Christ, whereas The Matrix Trilogy concludes with a metaphorical reference to Christ, as Neo sacrifices himself to save others."

SPOILER ALERT!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Bill & Ted Multiverse

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:35 pm

BILL & TED 3: There Will Be "Many Versions" Of Bill And Ted
Alex Winter, who played Bill S. Preston in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989) and Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey (1991), reveals that if the third film is ever made it will feature "many versions" of Bill and "Ted" Theodore Logan (Keanu Reeves). Excellent!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:27 am

Bill & Ted "In Danger of Losing Everything" in Part 3
Keanu Reeves says that Bill & Ted are in danger of losing everything in Part 3, and claims that the sequel is "closer, but not closer" to…
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:53 am

Woah: Bill & Ted's 2015 Return Teased (in Comic Books)
Boom! Studios send out hint of a long-awaited comeback for Wyld Stallyns
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

“BILL & TED’S MOST TRIUMPHANT RETURN”

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:50 pm

BOOM! STUDIOS' "BILL & TED'S MOST TRIUMPHANT RETURN" TO DEBUT IN MARCH
Steve Sunu wrote:WHAT IT’S ABOUT:
Following the time-traveling historic epic of Excellent Adventure and the turbulent life and death of Bogus Journey, Bill and Ted must now fulfill their destiny as the inspiration for galactic harmony! How can someone hate the Wyld Stallyns as much as the evil Chuck De Nomolos? With the power of time travel, Bill and Ted set their sights on turning a young 27th-century Nomolos’ non-non-heinous attitude into something most outstanding and metal! Featuring a main story by Brian Lynch (Angel, the upcoming Minions movie) and Jerry Gaylord (Loki: Ragnarok and Roll), and a backup story by Ryan North (Adventure Time) and Ian McGinty (Bravest Warriors).
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:19 pm

BMD:
Yeah, Sure, Keanu Reeves Would Go Back To THE MATRIX, Why Not
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:29 am

TheButcher wrote:BMD:
Yeah, Sure, Keanu Reeves Would Go Back To THE MATRIX, Why Not

Can they go back and remake the 2nd and 3rd to be better please?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:55 am

I'd throw in a vote for the new Blomkamp Aliens and Danny McBride Halloween-style sequel where the shitty sequels are ignored.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: 'The Matrix Reboot'

Postby TheButcher on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:37 pm

THR:
'The Matrix' Reboot in the Works at Warner Bros. (Exclusive)
Borys Kit, Kim Masters & Rebecca Ford wrote:
The 1999 sci-fi movie is coming back.

More Matrix? Bet on it.

It’s still not clear what shape the project will take, but sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Warner Bros. is in the early stages of developing a relaunch of The Matrix, the iconic 1999 sci-fi movie that is considered one of the most original films in cinematic history, with Zak Penn in talks to write a treatment.

Sources say there is potential interest in Michael B. Jordan to star, but much must be done before the project is ready to go.

At this point, the Wachowski siblings, who wrote and directed the original and its two sequels, are not involved and the nature of their potential engagement with a new version has not been determined. Certainly, Warners would want the two filmmakers to give at minimum a blessing to the nascent project. Warners had no comment.

Joel Silver, who produced the original trilogy, is said to have approached Warners about the idea of mining The Matrix for a potential new movie. However, Silver sold his interest in all his movies to the studio in 2012 for about $30 million, according to sources. The studio is said to be leery of including him in any meaningful role, as he not only has a reputation for budget-control issues, but apparently has a strained relationship with the Wachowskis. The siblings hold much more meaning for fans than the producer. Silvers reps did not immediately respond to request for comment.

Written and directed by the Wachowskis when they went by Andy and Larry, the original movie sees humanity living in a simulated reality, unaware that humans are in pods in which their bodies are being harvested for energy. A computer programmer named Neo (Keanu Reeves) slowly becomes aware of this suppressed existence, eventually becoming humanity’s one true hope (Neo = One) to overthrow the oppressors. It also starred Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss and Hugo Weaving.

The Matrix was released in a quiet period of the 1999 release calendar — March 31 — and Warners didn’t have outsized expectations for an action movie with obvious Manga and comic-book influences. But the story and ground-breaking special effects (including the slow-motion "bullet time" effect, which launched dozens of imitators in the years that followed) became the highest grossing R-rated film of 1999 in North America, and the fourth-highest grossing film of the year worldwide. It also won four Academy Awards.

Two sequels, Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, were not as well received but Reeves’ deal for those films made him one of the richest actors in Hollywood.

While promoting John Wick Chapter 2, Reeves said he would be open to returning for another installment of the franchise if the Wachowskis were involved. "They would have to write it and direct it. And then we’d see what the story is, but yeah, I dunno, that’d be weird, but why not?” he told Yahoo Movies. However, it is likely that Warners will look elsewhere to attract an A-list director and star.

While some in Warners consider the title among the studio’s sacrosanct properties, such as Casablanca, others see a need to redevelop it in an environment where studios are desperately looking for ways to monetize their libraries and branded IP is hard to come by.

The idea of adapting The Matrix as a television series was nixed in recent months. But Warners see a model in what Disney and Lucasfilm have done with Star Wars, exploring the hidden corners of the universe with movies such as Rogue One: A Star Wars Story or the in-production young Han Solo film. Perhaps a young Morpheus movie could come out of the exploration, as an example.

Penn is a writer with deep roots in the geeky genres in which Matrix travels. He created the Syfy network’s super-powered show Alphas and has been involved in comic book movies ranging from the X-Men franchise to The Avengers.

He is repped by UTA.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The NeverEnding Matrix Trilogy

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:32 pm

The Architect & Neo

In The Matrix Reloaded, who is the Architect, and what's he talking about?
Chris Peters & Matrix Whisperer wrote:This is the 6th version of the Matrix. The first Matrix resembled the Garden of Eden, and the second simulated some unspecified period of human history. Versions 1 & 2 failed "monumentally" until the Oracle discovered a solution for version

The 'Real' Architect
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: “THE MATRIX REBOOTED” #WritersRoom

Postby TheButcher on Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:44 pm

Warner Bros Ponders More Of ‘The Matrix’
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros is trying to see if there is more life in The Matrix beyond the three groundbreaking films written and directed by the Wachowskis. This is all in the exploratory phase and it’s unclear if the Wachowskis, then Andy and Larry but now Lily and Lana Wachowski, or the original cast will be involved, or producer Joel Silver. Right now, I hear the studio is likely to create a writers’ room of scribes to figure out the best possible way to relaunch the franchise.

Why would they do that and take on such a groundbreaking series? The trilogy grossed nearly $1.8 billion worldwide. The 1999 original featured some of the most audacious action ever seen onscreen during its time. That film grossed over $463 million worldwide. The sequel The Matrix Reloaded did even better and grossed $742 million globally for Warner Bros and Village Roadshow Pictures. The finale released later that year in 2003, paled in comparison, but still grossed $427.3 million.

Keanu Reeves and Laurence Fishburne just reteamed in the John Wick sequel and there was a lot of good will there. Stay tuned. Studio isn’t commenting.

“THE MATRIX” REBOOTED: GIVE US THE BLUE PILL TO CURE THIS DÉJÀ VUM
The Matrix RebootedIt’s unclear whether Warner Bros. is hiring Zak Penn to write a treatment or opening a writers room, but the studio wants Michael B. Jordan to star. Sorry, Keanu!
Jeff Sneider wrote:I watched THE MATRIX last night on a cross-country flight and the whole time I couldn’t help but wonder why Warner Bros. hasn’t already rebooted the franchise, which has been lying dormant since 2003. Well, I didn’t have to wonder very long because the studio is, in fact, doing just that with the help of screenwriter Zak Penn, according to trade reports.

Penn is in early discussions to write a treatment for a new Matrix movie that could very well star Michael B. Jordan, per the Hollywood Reporter, though a rival blog claims they’ve heard talk of a Matrix writers room on the horizon. Oh, Morpheus! Give me the blue pill so I can wake up from this nightmare!

While it’s true that The Matrix is a bonafide Universe(!) in a town full of pretenders, it has been gathering dust in Burbank, and though the trilogy grossed nearly $1.8 billion worldwide, it’s hard to argue with the franchise’s diminishing creative returns. Despite some awesome action sequences, those Matrix sequels only served to sully the memory of the original, as the mythology of the world became more and more asinine. As brilliant as the Wachowski siblings are, they can also be their own worst enemies, at least from a storytelling perspective. Just look at Cloud Atlas and their head-scratching Netflix series Sense8 for proof.

Reports suggest the Wachowskis would be involved only peripherally this time around, and that Warners brass would entrust the green ones and zeroes to another filmmaker. Let’s just hope it’s not the studio’s workhorse Zack Snyder, who shares similar strengths and weaknesses as the duo.

It’s no surprise that Jordan is high on the studio’s list to play the new “The One,” aka Neo, aka Thomas Anderson, because he’s an excellent young actor. I’m just not so sure I see him dodging bullets in a trenchcoat.

This is all very early, so relax before you start writing that hot take thinkpiece! Just know that deja vu was a bad sign inside the Matrix, and it’s worrisome that WB execs would rather dust off this franchise than develop an original property that could be the next Matrix. Wake up, indeed!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Fake Matrix News: The Morpheus

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:32 am

BMD:
The New MATRIX May Be A Young Morpheus Movie
SCOTT WAMPLER wrote:There's been a lot of chatter this week regarding Warner Bros.' upcoming return to The Matrix franchise. A reboot was announced (with Michael B. Jordan being pursued as the lead), fans got worked up about it (as they are wont to do) and Zak Penn (the guy writing the treatment) hopped on Twitter to make sure everyone knew it wasn't a reboot.

And that's true: WB is not interested in rebooting The Matrix, but rather in exploring expanded universe concepts. And according to two independent sources we've spoken with, one idea that's gained a lot of support is a prequel film starring Michael B. Jordan as a young Morpheus.

Our understanding is that a Morpheus film has long been a concept favored by the folks at Warner Bros. The studio has established a writer's room (a sure-fire sign that WB is gunning for multiple films/franchises), and our further understanding is that this Morpheus idea is one of several being kicked around.

What do you guys think? Wouldja be into a Morpheus-centric prequel, with Michael B. Jordan rocking Larry Fishburne's leather trenchcoat? Not so much?

BMD:
SCOTT WAMPLER wrote:
All I can say at this point is no one could or should REBOOT the Matrix. People who know Animatrix and the comics understand. Can't comment yet except to say that the words "reboot" and "remake" were from an article. Let's stop responding to inaccurate news.

And a few Tweets later:

Do I want to see more stories set in the universe of the matrix? Yes. Because it's a brilliant idea that generates great stories. Do I want to see more stories set in the universe of the matrix? Yes. Because it's a brilliant idea that generates great stories.

/film:
‘The Matrix’ Reboot Writer Insists He Isn’t Rebooting ‘The Matrix’
The internet got into a tizzy earlier this week when news came that Warner Bros. Pictures was considering some kind of reboot of The Matrix. The initial report indicated that it wasn’t clear what form this project would take, but many assumed that The Matrix reboot was just going to retread the same story of the original movie. Those who thought more outside the box understood that the studio was approaching The Matrix universe in the same way that Disney and Lucasfilm are approaching Star Wars with movies like Rogue One.

Zak Penn is the writer tasked with scripting whatever this new project set in the world of The Matrix will be, and he recently took to Twitter to clarify that The Matrix reboot isn’t really a reboot at all. Find out more below.

In a series of updates, Zak Penn wrote on Twitter:
“Can’t comment yet except to say that the words ‘reboot’ and ‘remake’ were from an article. Let’s stop responding to inaccurate news. All I can say at this point is no one could or should REBOOT the Matrix. People who know Animatrix and the comics understand. Do I want to see more stories set in the universe of The Matrix? Yes. Because it’s a brilliant idea that generates great stories. Look at what people are doing with Xmen universe. Between Logan and Legion and Deadpool, does anyone want them to stop? Not me.”

The Animatrix is a series of short films in various animation styles that take place in the world of The Matrix, but most of them only have tangential connections to The Matrix movies. There are a couple of shorts that have more direct connections to The Matrix Reloaded, but otherwise, the shorts do a good job of standing on their own.

As Penn indicates, fans who like The Animatrix (as well as comics with similarly isolated stories) will understand what the studio can do with The Matrix as a property. That’s clearly the best approach to The Matrix rather than just trying to tell the same story with new characters and a slightly different approach.

In a few more updates, Penn further shows that he’s not clueless when it comes to the legacy of The Matrix and that rebooting it in the traditional sense is not a smart move. One update said, “How about just re-release The Matrix? Don’t reboot it; you can’t do better.” While another shows his respect for Keanu Reeves by saying, “If I were going to recast Keanu Reeves, I would cast Keanu Reeves.”

Penn’s writing credits may not be the most inspiring, with work on X-Men: The Last Stand being one of the standouts. But he did work on the story for The Avengers, and he also wrote Ready Player One for Steven Spielberg to direct. Penn even wrote a little joke on Twitter saying, “I’m working on the reboot of Ready Player One. Same creative team and cast. To be released concurrently with the original.”

Though many like to bash Last Action Hero, a movie that Zak Penn wrote, that’s something that ended up being muddled by the studio. For what it’s worth, I think that movie gets a bum rap. Though it fumbles some of the rules that the narrative creates and gets a little messy, the core of the story is smart and just cool. That kind of approach to genre movies indicates that Zak Penn may have a good idea on how to expand The Matrix universe without being lame. Personally, I’m willing to see what Penn can do with The Matrix, especially if any of these directors get involved.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:03 am

Keeanu and Carrie returning to the Matrix

Not sure how I feel about this... the second matrix was so so, and the third one I really didn't like one bit. That said, the original is a freaking masterpiece action movie.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Return to Movie News