The Video Game Movies Thread

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

The Video Game Movies Thread

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:37 am

VULTURE EXCLUSIVE:
Roland Emmerich May Direct the Movie Version of Asteroids
Claude Brodesser-Akner wrote:Two Julys ago, Universal Pictures won a four-way bidding war for the rights to turn Atari’s 1979 hit arcade game Asteroids into a feature film. How do you take a game about a capital letter A floating about aimlessly in deep space shooting decimal points (or are they periods?) at large, frozen rocks and flying saucers and turn it into a movie? Well, Universal's trying to hire director of destruction Roland Emmerich (Independence Day, The Day After Tomorrow, 2012).

Vulture hears that Asteroids has just been offered to Emmerich by Universal, which is developing the feature film with Transformers: Dark of the Moon producer Lorenzo di Bonaventura. The script comes from Matt Lopez, best known for writing Disney’s The Race to Witch Mountain (a movie which, for those concerned with verisimilitude, does contain flying saucers).

Now, wait. We already know what you’re thinking: Doesn’t even thinking about directing this violate Emmerich’s self-proclaimed ban on making any more movies showing the destruction of Earth? Ah, but hold! Our spies tell us that, technically, no, it does not, because Asteroids is actually set after the destruction of Earth!

We’re told it’s an ersatz sequel to world-ending Emmerich films like Independence Day and 2012, but one in which the aliens have won. The remnants of human civilization are now living on far-flung colonies within an asteroid belt alongside aliens. The survivors were led to believe that this alien civilization was benevolent, rescuing them from doom, but ultimately discover that the aliens have engineered Earth’s destruction, and soon will do the same for the rest of humankind.

From Collider:
Roland Emmerich Offered Director’s Chair for ASTEROIDS

From Motion Captured:
Roland Emmerich directing 'Asteroids'? Someone just won movies forever

Drew "Moriarty" McWeeny wrote:A ridiculous idea and a ridiculous filmmaker could be the best match ever

One of the benefits, if you can call them that, of the PlayStation Network getting hacked and being down for a few weeks is that they are fairly desperate to make it up to customers now that they're starting to restore the service. One of the things they're doing is offering customers two free games from a fairly short list, and I picked "Super Stardust HD" as one of my games.

If you've never seen it, it's basically "Asteroids" cranked up to the point of madness, and it's a perfect "I have fifteen minutes and just want to play one quick game of something" title. If you've got a 3D TV, you can even play the game in 3D, and it is totally lunatic when you do so. Playing the game, I've been impressed by the way it is basically just one of the first arcade games of all time, with graphics that are updated but gameplay that is pure throwback. I didn't even realize how much I loved "Asteroids" until I started playing this.

It's funny that "Asteroids" would be on my mind this morning, since Universal appears to still be serious about making and actually releasing a movie based on the game And now, it appears they are trying to hire Roland Emmerich to direct the movie, which may be the single greatest match of filmmaker and material in the history of cinema. He has spent much of his career determined to destroy the Earth, and now, he's going to make a movie in which that event has actually happened, and now mankind makes its home in an asteroid belt, side-by-side with an alien race that may have a sinister secret.

Matt Lopez is the writer on the film, and Lorenzo Di Bonaventura is set to produce, and I am guessing that we won't see a greenlight on this until Universal releases "Battleship" to test the waters on the whole "let's add aliens to a game title I recognize from several decades ago" market.

Oh... and regarding the PlayStation Network, one of those two free games they offered me to make up for the crappy technical service and poor security? Vanished completely when I tried to redeem it. Way to go, PlayStation. It just does everything... sometimes.
Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ASTEROIDS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:50 am

Ugh.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:28 am

if they're going to keep making movies out of old games, why not choose ones that have actual recognizable characters? where's the donkey kong movie? that one's already got a plot even. or a pac-man movie. i mean, they would suck too, but at least there's a plausible recognizable reason for basing a movie on them, as opposed to crap like this and battleship and candyland and ouija board etc.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:39 am

Or they could mash 'em all up like what this guy did:
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:52 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Or they could mash 'em all up like what this guy did:

that was awesome. and much more entertaining than any of these battleship/asteroids/candyland movies will be for sure.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Nice Marmot on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:38 pm

TheButcher wrote:Asteroids

Can't even sit on the toilet some days.
Nice Marmot
REAL DRAGON

Postby papalazeru on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:35 pm

I can't wait for Pong.

Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Re: SPACE INVADERS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:30 am

'Space Invaders' Video Game Headed to Big Screen (Heat Vision Exclusive)
Borys Kit wrote:Get ready for the Space Invaders movie.

The classic 1980s arcade game from Taito and Midway, which is ranked as the top arcade game of all time by Guinness World Records, is heading to the big screen courtesy of producers Lorenzo di Bonaventura and Odd Lot Entertainment’s Gigi Pritzker.

The two have teamed up to option the rights and develop the project and are now on the hunt for a writer to come up with a story.

One of the first video games, Space Invaders is credited with taking the medium from a sideshow attraction to a mainstream obsession. The shooter game was technically released in 1978 but made its pop culture mark by the turn of the decade. It featured rows upon rows of aliens (or their ships) raining laser death upon a lone player who took cover behind slowly disintegrating blocks. There have been other rumored attempts to develop a film but none has gone anywhere.

With Space Invaders, the producers are facing an interesting challenge: The video game doesn’t have a built-in mythology, so on one hand a film won’t risk offending game fans. Conversely, coming up with a captivating universe, especially for video game adaptations, is no easy task.

For di Bonaventura, Space Invaders is the latest of a string of projects based on 80s touchstones. He is a producer on the Transformers and G.I. Joe movies, both based on popular Me Decade toys. And he is developing Asteroids, based on the classic arcade game, and a remake of 1989's Pet Sematary.

Pritzker’s Odd Lot is one of the key companies behind Drive, the much-buzzed-about thriller from Nicolas Winding Refn and starring Ryan Gosling, and is a producer on Ender’s Game, the adaptation of the Orson Scott Card sci-fi novel.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: The Video Game Movies Thread

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:50 am

I would like a RODGER DODGER style downbeat adaptation of LEISURE SUIT LARRY please. Call Nic Cage.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:04 am

Spandau Belly wrote:I would like a RODGER DODGER style downbeat adaptation of LEISURE SUIT LARRY please. Call Nic Cage.

That's old school. ha ha
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:03 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby King Of Nowhere on Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:10 pm

No, and i can't believe this is news. They had a hand in making Football Factory back in 03/04 & if this is them just getting around to filing for the name then they are incredibly lazy bastards.
King Of Nowhere
SPAM Killer!

Postby TheButcher on Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:52 pm

Collider Exclusive:
Roland Emmerich Talks SINGULARITY, Says He’s Not Doing ASTEROIDS
Adam Chitwood wrote:Steve: You’ve been rumored to be attached to Asteroids. Are you doing that?

Emmerich: No.

Not at all?

Emmerich: Nope. I was very honored that they wanted to have me as a director, and I kind of liked the script very much, but at that time I was writing with my writing partner Harold Kloser a new script called Singularity and I opted for that.

I was gonna ask you about that. For fans of yours, can you tell us what that’s about and when you get started on it?

Emmerich: We already got started, so we’re in pre-production and we probably will shoot end of March as it looks right now, and it takes place in the future 40 years from now. It’s like kind of this moment where computer technology is so advanced that we kind of—It’s the danger of losing control.

Something about your movies that I love is that you’re always pushing the boundaries, you always have an effect that’s beyond what you’ve done before. What can fans of yours look forward to in Singularity?

Emmerich: Well Singularity is a totally different film. I just want to stay a little bit away from disaster because I kind of think I did it enough, and this is something where we’re creating something that I think people haven’t seen yet. But I have to be very careful what I say, because we have this new idea that we want to not kind of advertise everything. Films should have a certain mystery about them, and even for fans I think it’s cool to not know too much so there’s like this excitement and when you go into the theater there’s still something still to discover.

Pulling a Nolan.

Emmerich: (laughs) Exactly.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: RAMPAGE

Postby TheButcher on Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:09 am

Classic Video Game 'Rampage' Headed to Big Screen From New Line (Heat Vision Exclusive)
Borys Kit wrote:Who’s up for a little Rampage?

New Line Cinema has put into development an adaptation of the classic 1980s video game featuring apes and monsters destroying cities.

John Rickard, who has acted as a co-producer on a wide range of New Line movies from A Nightmare on Elm Street and Final Destination to Horrible Bosses and next year’s tentpole Jack the Giant Killer, will produce and is meeting with writers to develop a story for the project.

The game comes from Midway Games, which was acquired by New Line's sister company Warner Bros. in 2009 for $33 million.

The concept of the game revolves around a trio of mild-mannered humans who are mutated into a giant Godzilla-like lizard, a werewolf and a gorilla, respectively, and fight the military while destroying buildings. Players controlled the monsters and moved up levels when a city was destroyed.

The project aims to take advantage of the title and the visuals of the game.

New Line isn’t usually in the tentpole business (the Lord of the Rings trilogy being the big exception) but the studio believes that technology has advanced enough that the possibility exists to make a smartly-budgeted monster movie in the vein and tone of Ghostbusters and Independence Day.
Last edited by TheButcher on Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:11 am

From AICN:
RAMPAGE Video Game To Become Movie
Nordling here.

I have to think that this got greenlit because Guillermo Del Toro's PACIFIC RIM, a movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters, started filming this week, and I'd bet that studios are gearing up for more giant monster movies now. That just might be the new thing in movies, and I'm good with that. I'm all for giant monsters. According to Hollywood Reporter, producer John Rickard (the NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET reboot, FINAL DESTINATION) will be producing a film based on the classic video game and is looking for writers to help get the project started. New Line Studios will be releasing the film.

For those too young to remember, RAMPAGE was a three-player game where a giant Godzilla-like creature, a giant Kong-like creature, and a giant Wolfman-like creature attacked buildings and munched on the hapless citizens inside, while fighting each other and the armed forces sent in to bring them down. The game was actually quite fun in its day - the faces the monsters made while chewing up innocent people always made me laugh - and it's a simple enough concept that someone in Hollywood could run with it. If people don't get eaten, though, I think they've lost the point of the whole project. Fret all you want about the video-game-to-movie trend, but this actually would make a more fun film than most, considering there isn't a whole lot of plot to it.

From Wiki:
Rampage: Total Destruction

The story begins with a worker from Scum Labs showing a video about a man named George taste-testing the Scum Soda. Soda S ends up causing a mutation to George as the video ends. The man tells his boss Mr. Z that the Scum Soda had a reaction to a few individuals. When Mr. Z asks how many people went through the taste-test and had a negative reaction, the man states 30 (40 in Wii). When Mr. Z states that if the press gets a hold of this, Scum Labs will be ruined. The man states that they contained the damage as a scientist tells Mr. Z that the all 30(or 40) monsters have been cryogenically frozen and stored in specially-designed, high security storage containers. The scientist states that as long as the subjects stay in the Cryo-Tubes, they pose no threat. It is also stated that the Cryo-Tubes are hidden and it's unlikely that anyone is ever going to find any of them. The man states that Scum Soda is going to be huge as George in his monster form climbs the building and grabs the man. Mr. Z tells the other people with him that they have a problem.

Rampage Total Destruction Gameplay YouTube Video
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:18 am

Not to be confused with the Uwe Boll classic by the same name
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Jez Butterworth's ASTEROIDS

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:33 am

Jez Butterworth rewriting 'Asteroids' adaptation - Universal pic is produced by Lorenzo di Bonaventura
Jeff Sneider & Justin Kroll wrote:Nostalgia and videogames look to be a potent combo for studios as Universal is bringing on Jez Butterworth to rewrite the script of "Asteroids."

The framework of the story is still unknown, but the material is based on the classic Atari arcade videogame. Earlier drafts of the screenplay were written by Matt Lopez and Evan Spiliotopoulos.

Lorenzo di Bonaventura is producing the pic. VP of production, Anikah McLaren will oversee the project for Universal.

Videogame adaptations heating up again with adaptations of "Assassins' Creed," "Splinter Cell" and "Gears of War" seeing pre-production action.

The CAA-repped Butterworth has several projects in development including the untitled James Brown biopic that Tate Taylor is directing.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Kratos: God of War

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:15 am

'Pacific Rim' Writers Tapped for 'God of War' Adaptation (Heat Vision Exclusive)
Borys Kit wrote:The screenwriting pair of Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan, who wrote four of the "Saw" films, are set to bring the Sony Computer Entertainment game to the big screen.

Borys Kit wrote:Universal has tapped Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan to rewrite God of War, the studio adaptation of the video game from Sony Computer Entertainment.

Charles Roven and Alex Gartner are producing via Atlas Entertainment.

Created by David Jaffe and Shannon Studstill and released in March 2005, the game followed the battles of the Spartan warrior Kratos, who squares off against mythological beasts including Medusa, Cyclops and the Hydra in his quest to find Pandora's Box and destroy Ares, the god of war.

David Self, who is exec producing, wrote the initial draft.

Melton and Dunston made their names writing four installments of the Saw horror franchise. To branch out, they wrote a spec called Monstropolis that was well-regarded and caught the attention of the makers of Pacific Rim. Their work with Guillermo del Toro on Rim has now set them on the action tentpole path.

The pair are repped by WME, Underground and attorney Dave Feldman of Bloom Hergott.

From Motion Captured:
'God Of War' calls the writers of 'Saw' and 'Pacific Rim' to arms - If nothing else, it's a big week for possible video game adaptations
Drew McWeeny wrote:I'm guessing every development executive in Los Angeles spent the long 4th of July weekend playing video games. That's the only explanation.

"God Of War" has been in the works as a movie for a while now through Atlas Entertainment, with Chuck Roven and Alex Gartner producing. They originally had David Self attached as the film's writer, but now it looks like Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan have been chosen to help get the film ready for production.

If you were a fan of "Project Greenlight," then you remember Melton and Dunstan as the writers of "Feast." If you're a horror movie fan, then you probably know them from their work on the "Saw" series. And if you're a development exec in town, you probably read their spec "Monstropolis," and you know that they were brought in to do some of the production rewrites on Guillermo Del Toro's upcoming "Pacific Rim."

For those who don't really understand the way writing credits work or how people get jobs based on films they only wrote part of, it's all a matter of people learning what your strengths are. Some guys write great specs that get everyone excited about the potential for something, and while they aren't great at the nuts and bolts work of pinning down a shooting draft with a director, their work is good enough to kickstart these big movies. Other people get a reputation as a "closer," someone you bring in to help break the budget down, to help craft something that can actually be shot at the right price, and to work directly with the filmmaker.

In my experience, you want to be known as the closer, the one who can get a film in front of the camera. It's good at the studio level, it's good because filmmakers feel like you're someone they trust, and it's good because it puts you on the set during production. Obviously, anytime you get work, it's a good thing, but Melton and Dunstan are building a rep for themselves as good people to have on a project when the pressure is on, and that's a great place to be.

"God Of War," for those unfamiliar with the game, is a series about a Spartan warrior named Kratos who goes on huge quests against magical foes and some of the great monsters of mythology, driven by personal tragedy and a desire to destroy the gods of the ancient world. Big, wild, bold stuff, and the games are full of ideas and imagery that could well inspire a big tentpole epic adventure.

We'll keep our ears open for word about how this one comes together.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Kratos: God of War

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:16 am

Dunstan, Melton: God of War Adaptation Different Than Clash of the Titans, Immortals
Ryan Turek wrote:The writing team of Patrick Melton and Marcus Dunstan are at work on a big screen adaptation of the God of War video game series and, during a discussion about their latest effort The Collection (opening this Friday), they provided ShockTillYouDrop.com with an update on how the script is coming along.

The duo were brought in to overhaul a screenplay by David Self. While they have to keep mum about story specifics, they were able to discuss how God of War will be different from similarly-themed films like the Clash of the Titans films and Immortals.

"Those movies can inform the God of War to step in a more bold direction," said Dunstan. "Not to join those ranks, but to stand head and shoulders apart like other reinventions have done within that genre. The satisfying element is to look at those movies as a commentary on the genre and now say something different."

Melton added, "Sony games, you think they'd be sacred about the origin story and all of that, but they were encouraging us to make it different from those movies and if that means going in dramatic shifts, they were cool of it. And they're involved."

Atlas Entertainment is producing the film. Stay tuned for more on Melton and Dunstan's The Collection as well as another film they're involved with, a lil' project about giant monsters and robots called Pacific Rim. I'm sure you've heard of it.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Kratos: God of War Begins

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:04 am

From Collider August 31st, 2012:
GOD OF WAR Screenwriters Talk Script’s Grounded Approach, How We Meet Kratos, Beefing Up the Villain and More
Adam Chitwood wrote:Speaking with IGN, Melton and Dunstan revealed that they were hired to rework David Self’s (Road to Perdition) existing script because of its similarity to other recent sword-and-sandals action films:
“The only problem with that [script] is it was written before Clash of the Titans, Wrath of the Titans, 300 and Immortals, and those movies borrowed quite a bit from the God of War stories. It was just a little bit outdated, so we wanted to differentiate it from those other movies.”

In differentiating their God of War from other similar films, Melton and Dunstan are drawing from a certain insanely successful superhero franchise:
“In the same way that Batman was grounded with Christopher Nolan‘s rendition, we were attempting to do that with Kratos so that when we meet him — like they’re doing in this newest game, which is sort of a prequel to the original — we’re seeing him before he became the Ghost of Sparta, when he was just a Spartan warrior and he had family and kids.”

The scribes talked about building Kratos up as a man before getting into the Ghost of Sparta stuff so that audiences have a fully fleshed-out character to root for:
“In the game… there’s that attack from the barbarians and Kratos has to call upon Ares to help him. Really, that’s going to be our first act break. Before then, he’s going to be mortal, and he’s going to have his family. We’re going to learn about him and understand how he operates. So it’s potentially 30 minutes — give or take — of building up this character so that, when he does turn and becomes the Ghost of Sparta, we understand him as a human and we understand the journey that he’s going to take. We’re emotionally invested, so that it could go beyond just this one movie.”

Melton and Dunstan also revealed that they’re tweaking the villain Ares a bit to make him more convincingly menacing:
“In the game, you know, he’s immortal, and he doesn’t really do much besides raid Athens. So we’re trying to build him up a bit more, too, so that he can become a true villain.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: SPACE INVADERS

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:16 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Pixels

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:19 am

TheBaxter wrote:

that was awesome. and much more entertaining than any of these battleship/asteroids/candyland movies will be for sure.

Adam Sandler, Josh Gad, and Peter Dinklage battle Pac-Man in 'Pixels'
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Pixels

Postby so sorry on Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:02 pm

TheButcher wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

Adam Sandler, Josh Gad, and Peter Dinklage battle Pac-Man in 'Pixels'

Movie posters

PacMan and Donkey Kong are badass.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:23 pm

‘Space Invaders’ Lands Dan Kunka To Script
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:EXCLUSIVE:
Warner Bros has set Black List writer Dan Kunka to script a live-action film from the video game Space Invaders. Kunka has experience finding movies out of high concept, as evidenced by how he made the Black List when he converted a 52-page spec Yellowstone Falls into a film about wolves fighting zombies. Joby Harold and Tory Tunnell’s Safehouse Pictures are producing and Matt Schwartz overseeing for the company.

Safehouse Pictures is in preproduction on the Guy Ritchie-directed Warner Bros pic based on the King Arthur legend with Charlie Hunnam playing the title role. Jesse Ehrman and Nik Manikurve will oversee development of Space Invaders for Warner Bros.

Kunka’s got a lot of action right now. He’s adapting the Winston Groom (Forrest Gump) novel Patriotic Fire: Andrew Jackson And Jean Laffite At The Battle Of New Orleans for Madhouse Entertainment. He just sold a one-hour drama to Syfy Channel with Robert Zemeckis producing for Fox Television Studios with Jackie Levine, Pancho Mansfield and Madhouse producing as well. Yellowstone Falls is set at QED with producer Kevin Misher, and Warner Bros recently bought his spec.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:27 pm

Dwayne Johnson to Star in Film Adaptation of 'Rampage' Video Game
The project reunites Johnson, New Line and producer Beau Flynn, who teamed for the hit disaster pic 'San Andreas.'

TheButcher wrote:Classic Video Game 'Rampage' Headed to Big Screen From New Line (Heat Vision Exclusive)
Borys Kit wrote:Who’s up for a little Rampage?

New Line Cinema has put into development an adaptation of the classic 1980s video game featuring apes and monsters destroying cities.

John Rickard, who has acted as a co-producer on a wide range of New Line movies from A Nightmare on Elm Street and Final Destination to Horrible Bosses and next year’s tentpole Jack the Giant Killer, will produce and is meeting with writers to develop a story for the project.

The game comes from Midway Games, which was acquired by New Line's sister company Warner Bros. in 2009 for $33 million.

The concept of the game revolves around a trio of mild-mannered humans who are mutated into a giant Godzilla-like lizard, a werewolf and a gorilla, respectively, and fight the military while destroying buildings. Players controlled the monsters and moved up levels when a city was destroyed.

The project aims to take advantage of the title and the visuals of the game.

New Line isn’t usually in the tentpole business (the Lord of the Rings trilogy being the big exception) but the studio believes that technology has advanced enough that the possibility exists to make a smartly-budgeted monster movie in the vein and tone of Ghostbusters and Independence Day.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:25 pm

How many bottles of speed must the Rock be taking these days? He's doing everything.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:06 pm

so sorry wrote:How many bottles of speed must the Rock be taking these days? He's doing everything.

Dwayne 'The Tooth Fairy' Johnson Eats About 821 Pounds Of Cod Per Year

Cocaine is a hell of a drug!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:41 am

Brad Peyton To Direct Dwayne Johnson In Arcade Game Adaptation
‘San Andreas’ Team Reunites For ‘Rampage'

Mike Fleming Jr wrote:The live-action adaptation of the 1980s Midway Arcade game has a script by Ryan Engle, who scripted the Liam Neeson-starrer Non-Stop. They were keeping the plot secret when I first broke that Johnson and Flynn would be doing this movie and nothing has changed. They have told me that the focus will be consistent with the game, as three giant monsters — a gorilla, a lizard and a wolf — wreak havoc on major cities and landmarks across North America, with Johnson standing in their path. Put your money on Johnson, who’s currently shooting Central Intelligence with Kevin Hart, and is starring in the freshman HBO series Ballers. He is coming off Furious 7, and Rampage will begin production next summer after Johnson shoots Fast & Furious 8. Rampage will be released in 2017.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:52 am

Video Game Movies Can Be Good (They Just Shouldn’t Be Adaptations)
There's a better way of doing this.
ANDREW TODD wrote:Inception goes a step further, giving up the technological pretense and dropping its characters into dreams. As much as the film world has labelled Inception as About Filmmaking (and no joke, that’s 100% what it is), it could equally be described as a film about games. It has level designers, weapon selection, mechanical exploits, and even its own equivalent of a "falling through the floor" glitch. More intriguingly, its time-dilation conceit mirrors the way games can blot out the real world. Virtual reality developers have noted a time-dilation effect when playing games in VR headsets; Inception trapping Leo DiCaprio in a collapsing city is just a more extreme version of that.

Taking a more metanarrative approach, Edge of Tomorrow and Source Code emulate a player’s journey as opposed to a character’s. They deal with time-travel conceits that mimic the death-respawn cycle of video games, with the player learning new information and/or improving their skills each time. Source Code, notable for coming from Warcraft director Duncan Jones, uses its time-loop structure for mystery, but Edge of Tomorrow really makes it sing as action sci-fi. Edge of Tomorrow puts character progression and pattern recognition at the heart of its protagonist’s arc, with Tom Cruise not only getting better at fighting aliens, but improving as a human being as well. That’s the kind of tight interlock between narrative, game mechanics, and character that the video game world could use more of.

One interesting, final example is yet to emerge. Ready Player One is set to do nearly everything mentioned in this article, taking place as it does in a future where a virtual reality gaming system is the second life Second Life never became. Given that its source material is more concerned with referencing ‘80s culture than synthesising it (the book cribs so heavily it’s virtually succumbed to SIDS), it surely can’t be as good as the films listed above. But Steven Spielberg is at the helm, and if anyone can turn a fawning fanbook into a good movie, it’s Spielberg.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: “ASSASSIN’S CREED”

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:56 pm

“ASSASSIN’S CREED” AND THE NEXT PHASE OF THE BLOCKBUSTER MOVIE AS MARKETING DEVICE
When Ubisoft head Alain Corre recently said that he doesn’t expect the company to make money from the upcoming Assassin’s Creed film, but does expect the film to result in higher video game sales, he seemed to be speaking directly to the idea that we’ve entered the next phase of the Hollywood blockbuster as more marketing device than movie.
Neil Turitz wrote:So I was doing my usual tooling around the internet on Friday, seeing what was happening and maybe looking for something to write about today, when I came across this quote from Alain Corre, the leader of French video game publisher Ubisoft, about the company’s first entry into the feature film business, the Michael Fassbender-starring Assassin’s Creed, set to hit theaters December 21st:

Ubisoft Doubts ‘Assassin’s Creed’ Will Make Much Money
We are not going to earn a lot of money from it. It is a lot more a marketing thing, it is also good for the image of the brand. Although we will make some money, it is not the purpose of this movie. The purpose is to bring Assassin’s Creed to more people. We have our core fans, but what we would like is to put this franchise in front of a lot more people who, maybe, will then pick up future Assassin’s Creed games.

My initial reaction was that this was one of the most cynical things I’ve ever heard, and if you have been following along in this space over the last few months, you’ll understand that this is really saying something. I found myself genuinely angry about it, wondering aloud why I would ever go see a movie in which the producers themselves don’t seem to believe, and shared these feelings with my significant other, who is neither in the entertainment business nor knows anything about it (not mutually exclusive, I know).

She looked at me quizzically and said, with genuine insouciance, “So what? People make stupid movies for stupid reasons all the time.”

Which is when I stopped being angry and started to think about it, and realized that, of course, she’s 100 percent right.

The company has close to a couple hundred million invested in the project, which it is financing and producing (along with New Regency) for Fox to distribute as part of its brand new film division. Next up will be an adaptation of Splinter Cell, which will star Tom Hardy and almost certainly come along with the same attitude that box office is not nearly as important as individual game sales.

When you consider that the various incarnations of Assassin’s Creed have sold more than 83 million copies in the nine years since its inception, and that said sales numbers have resulted in, conservatively speaking, over $1 billion in grosses, as well as the fact that only 26 movies have ever cleared that number, well, it gets a little staggering.

The makers of Warcraft were not quite so upfront about their intentions earlier this summer, but you have to believe that selling more copies of the video game was part of the plan, especially since so many who saw the movie mentioned that it made more sense if you played it. I went to see the film after reading a review calling it the 21st century’s Battlefield Earth — I mean, come on, how do you not go see a movie with a recommendation like that? — and I don’t play the game, but I’m here to tell you, it couldn’t have hurt.

And now, don’t be surprised to hear some time soon that Universal and Legendary have green lit a sequel to the movie, despite the fact that the $160 million flick only made $46 million domestically. Why? Oh, you already know the answer to that: $376 million in foreign grosses so far will actually, somewhat astonishingly, put the movie into the black, which means sequel and, quite possibly, franchise.

It’s not just video games, of course, or have you not heard of this series of movies based on a set of toys called Transformers? As much money as the four movies have made in worldwide grosses — over $3.7 billion — Hasbro has made far more than that from the sales of the actual toys. Doubt it? In 2014, the year the last movie hit theaters, sales of the action figures increased revenues in emerging markets alone by 20 percent, to just shy of $690 million. That’s just part of the $4.28 billion in revenue the company made that calendar year, an increase of five percent that would have been seven if not for a change in foreign exchange rates.

Spend $210 million on the movie, another $150 million or so on marketing, see the worldwide grosses come in at more than $1.1 billion and another few billion enter the coffers thanks to the resulting toy sales, and that adds up to a pretty savvy investment.

It doesn’t have to be on such a grand scale, either. Just look at the success Hasbro has had with Ouija. The $5 million film was released in October of 2014, did over $100 million worldwide and led to an increase in sales of actual ouija boards by over 300 percent. Shocker: there’s another Ouija movie coming out this fall.

Sure, Battleship was a misstep back in 2012, but the $173 million Angry Birds has done a little more than $337 million worldwide and almost certainly has another installment on the way. Is it any wonder that Lionsgate (and Hasbro) has a My Little Pony movie coming out in October of 2017? Or that other board games like Monopoly, Risk, Candy Land and Hungry Hungry Hippos are in development, as well as the card game Magic: The Gathering, and lots of other video game adaptations, too? There are older ones like Rampage, Space Invaders and Tetris (which is not just going to be one movie, but three of them), and newer ones like Call of Duty, Gran Turismo and Fruit Ninja. None of this, of course, includes any of the myriad super hero movies on the release schedule, all of which are expected to move additional millions of ancillary products, as well.

Might want to start reserving your toys now for next year’s holidays, is what I’m saying.

As it happens, Ubisoft walked back those statements over the weekend and expressed a great amount of confidence in the project. In fact, New Regency has so much confidence in it, it has already put a sequel into development, with Fassbender on board as both star and producer. This ties in with Ubisoft’s interesting strategy for its properties. It hired Fassbender to star in and produce Assassin’s Creed before it had a director or even a script, because the company wanted him to be integral in the project’s development. It’s at least partly for that reason that the actor’s MacBeth director, Justin Kurzel, and co-star, Marion Cotillard, are also on board. It’s doing the same thing with Hardy and Splinter Cell, giving the actor around whom they are building the prospective franchise a real say in how it all comes together. Which is pretty damn smart.

People do make stupid movies for stupid reasons all the time. But in this day and age, if we’ve learned anything, we have to accept that the bottom line isn’t one of them. It’s actually a very good reason and yeah, that might be cynical, but it’s also reality.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ‘Ready Player One’

Postby TheButcher on Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:38 am

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:Ready Player One
i don't know how they're going to make a movie out of this, the rights fees alone would bankrupt a small nation. they'll probably trim it way back, but i'll be interested in seeing just how many of the book references, particularly the ones that are really integral to the story, make it into the film. .

Wouldn't they have had the same issue with the rights for the book?

no, you don't need the rights to something to write about it. but you do to put it up on screen. for instance, they can talk about Pac-Man all they want in the book, but to show Pac-Man in the film, they'll need to get the rights to use his likeness.

i think it's a matter of degree too. you can reference things in a book, for example, there are Star Wars and Star Trek references. but, you couldn't write a whole book featuring all Star Trek or Star Wars characters, without being licensed to do so.

/film:
‘Ready Player One’ Set Features References to Gremlins, a DC Superhero, and More
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:09 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:57 am

Brad Peyton Says Rampage Will Be “Emotional, Scary And Real”
Mark Cassidy wrote:At the moment, Peyton is busy with his new film Incarnate, and while at the Los Angeles press day for it earlier this week, we sat down with the director to quiz him on both that and some of his future projects, including Rampage. When we asked him how he’s planning to turn the video game, which isn’t exactly heavy on story, into a feature film, here’s what he told us:
With Rampage, we are using our love of the original game as our inspiration. Then we’re going to build a movie, like San Andreas, that is really going to surprise people in what it delivers. It’s going to be a lot more emotional, a lot scarier and a lot more real than you’d expect. So you look at that original concept about a lab that affects these animals and makes them rampage, and that’s the nugget. If they called me tomorrow to do Call of Duty, I wouldn’t want to play any of the Call of Duty games. I’d have to come up with something that deserves to be its own thing. That’s where a lot of these movies can go wrong.

I’m really excited about Rampage. It’s a monster film, so the stuff that I did on Incarnate, stretching my muscles in the horror space helped. This “small, character piece” with horror in it trained me to get ready for [Rampage]. Obviously, it’s a much bigger movie and it’s meant for a broader audience, but there still horror elements, there’s still a monster movie at the core. And I get to work with Dwayne [Johnson] again, I’m so excited about it.

Peyton also touched on which monsters from the game will be incorporated into the adaptation, saying:
There’s the three, the lizard, the ape and the wolf, so we’re keeping it similar, but you’ll have to stay tuned to find out where we’re going with this.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: ‘Ready Player One’

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:19 am

The Small Hadron Collider:
Tye Sheridan Says 60% of ‘Ready Player One’ Takes Place in the OASIS; Avatars Are Motion-Capture
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:09 pm

THR:
Joe Manganiello, Marley Shelton in Talks to Join Dwayne Johnson in 'Rampage' (Exclusive)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:51 pm

Yeah, that movie seems tailor-made for Da Rock.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:35 am

ScreenRant:
Rampage starts shooting in April!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Wolfpack on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:59 am

If the monsters don't eat people then the movie has no credibility for me.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:12 am

Wolfpack wrote:If the monsters don't eat people then the movie has no credibility for me.

And if I remember correctly, burp a little puff of smoke when they eat a dude with a flamethrower?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Wolfpack on Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:12 pm

so sorry wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:If the monsters don't eat people then the movie has no credibility for me.

And if I remember correctly, burp a little puff of smoke when they eat a dude with a flamethrower?

As long as they make a quip such as, "That's gonna cause heartburn!"
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:10 am

Wolfpack wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Rampage
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:54 pm

TheButcher wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Rampage

Yikes...I forgot how boring this game was!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:55 pm

In the NES version all they did when they ate people was make "chh chh chh" noises.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:40 am

Malin Akerman in Talks to Play Villain in 'Rampage'
The movie is reuniting many from the team behind the shit 'San Andreas.'
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:58 am

Angelina Jolie's Drug Tests, Harassment and Wacky "Spiritual Hokum" on the Set of 'Tomb Raider' (Exclusive Book Excerpt)
A new biography of Sherry Lansing reveals that the 2001 film — which helped turn Jolie into a major star — was one of her biggest challenges, and an experience that left her feeling empty.

Exclusive: Here's Your First Look at the Tomb Raider Reboot
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:36 am

The Playlist March 31, 2017:
Ben Wheatley Interested In ‘Marvel Zombies,’ Talks ‘Gauntlet’ Adaptation & Wants To Make ‘What’s Up, Doc?’ Style Rom-Com
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:28 am

TheButcher wrote:Malin Akerman in Talks to Play Villain in 'Rampage'
The movie is reuniting many from the team behind the shit 'San Andreas.'

The Walking Dead’s Jeffrey Dean Morgan Joins Dwayne Johnson’s ‘Rampage’
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:42 am

I hear the producers of Rampage were encouraged by the critical and commercial success of the film version for Doom.
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:08 am

AICN April 17, 2017:
RAMPAGE is now happening! Monsters smash the world!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Movie News