Star Trek Beyond (Now w/ G@y Sulu)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Star Trek Beyond (Now w/ G@y Sulu)

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:52 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Trek 3

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:30 am

i didn't know Christopher Nolan invented the film trilogy!

i hear they'd already written the ending: [misinterpretation of Lost finale non-spoiler]we find out that that scene in the original film where young kirk drives the car over the cliff, he actually went over with it and died in the crash, and everything that happens in the following films is just kirk coming to terms with his death in purgatory[/misinterpretation of Lost finale non-spoiler]

and the final shot, which they had thought up at the very beginning of writing the trilogy, is [actual Lost finale spoiler]a close-up of young dying kirk closing his eye[/actual Lost finale spoiler]
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Star Trek 3: Already so very tired.

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:54 pm

They're making another one:

- Paramount wants it ready for 2016
- Orci & Kurtzman are involved again

Also involved are Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz; who wrote Thor, Fringe and Andromeda. (1 out of 3 isn't bad, I suppose)

Early reports suggest they'll talk about how these are new characters and they have a whole new universe to explore, before remaking one of the old stories with a slight twist.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: Star Trek 3: Already so very tired.

Postby SooperPooperScooper on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:28 pm

gentlemen
SooperPooperScooper
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:23 am

SooperPooperScooper wrote:gentlemen

start your kvetchings?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:00 pm

Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci to Return to Write Next 'Star Trek' (Exclusive)
After flirting with new writers, Paramount has shifted gears and is returning to the duo that breathed new life into the moribund franchise. J.J. Abrams is in negotiations to produce.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:03 pm

Latino Review:
Exclusive: We Know Who The Top Contender Is To Direct ‘Star Trek 3′
Kellvin Chavez wrote:While Star Wars fans are pleased with J.J. Abrams directing “Star Wars Episode VII,” where does that leave Star Trek fans? J.J. Abrams said that he may still direct “Star Trek 3,” but that may not happen for a long time, since he is currently working on “Star Wars: Episode VII,” which is slated for release in 2015.

Abrams stated:

If they want [Star Trek around 2016] and if Star Wars goes forward as planned, it would obviously be a conflict. It depends when this movie would happen. [...] But in all likelihood if there is a movie sooner, there will be a different director on the film.

At this point Abrams is committed to “Star Trek 3″ as a producer.

Paramount wants “Star Trek 3″ in theaters in 2016, which means it would coincide with the 50th anniversary of the launch of the 1966 television show.

Back in May our very own ‘El Mayimbe’ tweeted that he heard “Attack The Block” director Joe Cornish was on a list of contenders up for the gig. Other rumors, although unconfirmed, had Justin Lin and Brad Bird as possibilities as well.

A few days ago, (was told not to say anything till now) I was told that there was one person so far on top of the list.

Ready trekkies?

That person is “G.I. Joe: Retaliation” director Jon M. Chu.

I waited on this because I wanted to confirm this and all I got was “no comment” and another source said “he’s a contender.”

Not surprising considering Chu’s relationship with Paramount and the fact that the G.I. Joe sequel has earned $371 million to date at the global box office.

No plot details on the 3rd film yet but screenwriter Damon Lindelof mentioned that Star Trek 3 may center on the Klingons, and that the villainous John Harrison aka Khan (Benedict Cumberbatch) may be back as well.

What do you guys think? Chime in below and please keep it clean.

“Star Trek 3″ is suppose to hit theaters in 2016.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:22 am

i'd love to be on set the first day he meets the cast...

"Jon Chu? John Cho. John Cho? Jon Chu."
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:59 am

Chu's on first?

All they need to do is add Julianne Hough to the cast and then you can have a whole
"Hough's on first?"
"No, Chu."
"Who?"
"Chu!"
"Who, me?"
"No, Chu."
"Who?"
"Hough?"
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:44 pm

don't you mean Kelly Hu?

we can add HUGH jackman co-starring and john WOO producing for a really entertaining poster:

STAR TREK 3

directed by
JOHN CHU

produced by
JOHN WOO

starring
JOHN CHO

with
HU!
HUGH!
HOUGH!

and introducing

JOHN TRAVOLTA

"what? where? who?"
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: Star Trek 3: Revenge of the Sweathogs

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:26 pm

TheBaxter wrote:don't you mean Kelly Hu?

we can add HUGH jackman co-starring and john WOO producing for a really entertaining poster:

STAR TREK 3

directed by
JOHN CHU

produced by
JOHN WOO

starring
JOHN CHO

with
HU!
HUGH!
HOUGH!

and introducing

JOHN TRAVOLTA

"what? where? who?"

Jon M. Chu’s Reps Deny He’s Up for STAR TREK 3; Is Rupert Wyatt the Frontrunner to Direct?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:10 am

‘Attack The Block’s Joe Cornish Beaming Up For ‘Star Trek 3?’
MIKE FLEMING JR wrote:EXCLUSIVE:
We know that Paramount and Skydance Productions lost JJ Abrams as the director of the third installment of Star Trek when Abrams took on Star Wars. I’m hearing the studio is sweet on Joe Cornish to direct the next film. Cornish made his feature directorial debut on Attack The Block, the saga of a group of British youths who stave off an alien invasion in their rough neighborhood.

Cornish followed by being one of the writers on The Adventures Of Tin Tin, and he and Edgar Wright wrote the script for Ant-Man, the Marvel Studios film that Wright is going to direct. Long story short, he’s gotten exposure to bigger scale projects than Attack The Block, in which he admirably depicted a full scale alien invasion on a relatively small budget. Doing a movie like this would certainly put his career on a warp speed path. He’s already working with Paramount on the novel adaptation Snow Crash which he’s prepping to present to the studio.

It’s early days on this, but stay tuned. Paramount is readying the movie to shoot in summer, 2014. Cornish is repped by CAA.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:23 pm

'Star Trek 3' Beams Up Trio of Writers
J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay are set to tackle the third installment of the franchise alongside Roberto Orci.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

revenge of the rise of the return of the reboot of khan

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:57 pm

Benedict Cumberbatch hints at Star Trek 3 return
Benedict Cumberbatch has hinted that he will return for Star Trek 3.
The actor revived iconic villain Khan in JJ Abrams's Star Trek Into Darkness last year, and the film ended with the character being placed in cryogenic sleep along with his crew, leaving the door open for a return.

"That was a stupid thing to do," Cumberbatch joked during an interview with The New York Times. "They should have just blown me up."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

revenge of the rise of the return of the reboot of khan

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:59 pm

The Case of the Accidental Superstar
SARAH LYALL wrote:One question that has excited “Star Trek” fans is whether his character, who all but stole the last film, will appear in the next one. There is certainly that possibility: He ended the film frozen in a pod and stored away in space. (“That was a stupid thing to do,” Cumberbatch said, referring to Starfleet Command. “They should have just blown me up.”)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:26 am

'Star Trek' and 'Spider-Man' in question as Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman split
And are Universal's monsters lurching back to life as well?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:12 pm

Roberto Orci Aiming For Directing Gig on Star Trek 3
He's also split from his longtime writing partner...
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 09, 2014 4:12 pm

Why 'Star Trek' Fans Are Wrong and Roberto Orci Is Right (Opinion)
Paramount's sequel has been dismissed by purists as crass, corny and catering to the lowest common denominator. But are the new films a lot closer to the original sci-fi series than most fans are willing to admit?

Roberto Orci Frontrunner To Helm ‘Star Trek 3′

Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci Splitting Up on Bigscreen (EXCLUSIVE)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 12, 2014 10:10 am

TheButcher wrote:Why 'Star Trek' Fans Are Wrong and Roberto Orci Is Right (Opinion)
Paramount's sequel has been dismissed by purists as crass, corny and catering to the lowest common denominator. But are the new films a lot closer to the original sci-fi series than most fans are willing to admit?

if hating STiD is wrong, then i don't wanna be right.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Tue May 13, 2014 10:42 pm

Obviously Into Darkness had more political commentary than the Indiana Jones series. But Orci's ranty meltdown thing indicates that he has clearly not come to terms with the nature of Internet geekdom, where trying to explain why you feel like you're being unfairly persecuted is roughly the equivalent of trying to make a blood pact with sharks.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Wed May 14, 2014 12:55 pm

i liked Into Darkness just fine, didn't blow me away but I thought it was certainly a solid flick, at least as good as other genre movies that geeks fall over themselves for. it just so happens that with a property like Star Trek and a director like Abrams that you have people who are not watching it as a movie to enjoy as much as watching something they are looking forward to criticizing

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 15, 2014 1:56 am

We look at Paramount's big gamble on Robert Orci and 'Star Trek 3'
This is going to be a major test for one of the most successful working screenwriters
the artist formerly known as Moriarty wrote:So now Orci's got a great cast and a completely blank slate, story-wise. He's also got no writing partner at this point, and he's calling the shots. One of the reasons for the success of Orci and Kurtzman as a team is because they are exceptionally good at satisfying executive notes, and while that might sound like faint praise, let me be clear. Satisfying executive notes is the single most difficult thing any Hollywood studio writer has to do. It's one of the reasons I don't think I've been particularly good at maintaining any momentum as a screenwriter. From my very first experience on, I have bristled at what I have considered stupid comments. I've gotten amazing notes from people on a number of things, and when it's obvious someone is genuinely trying to improve something, I will happily go back in and rework something as many times as it takes. But when you're writing a Clive Barker movie and an executive begins a meeting by saying, "I don't like horror films, and I don't like the people who make them, and here's what I think of your story," then I find I have no poker face at all, and I am perfectly willing to tell someone that they're wrong.

THR 12/6/2013:
'Star Trek 3' Beams Up Trio of Writers
J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay are set to tackle the third installment of the franchise alongside Roberto Orci.

Deadline Tuesday May 13, 2014:
Roberto Orci To Helm ‘Star Trek 3′
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Thu May 15, 2014 10:00 am

TheButcher wrote:We look at Paramount's big gamble on Robert Orci and 'Star Trek 3'
This is going to be a major test for one of the most successful working screenwriters
the artist formerly known as Moriarty wrote:So now Orci's got a great cast and a completely blank slate, story-wise. He's also got no writing partner at this point, and he's calling the shots. One of the reasons for the success of Orci and Kurtzman as a team is because they are exceptionally good at satisfying executive notes, and while that might sound like faint praise, let me be clear. Satisfying executive notes is the single most difficult thing any Hollywood studio writer has to do. It's one of the reasons I don't think I've been particularly good at maintaining any momentum as a screenwriter. From my very first experience on, I have bristled at what I have considered stupid comments. I've gotten amazing notes from people on a number of things, and when it's obvious someone is genuinely trying to improve something, I will happily go back in and rework something as many times as it takes. But when you're writing a Clive Barker movie and an executive begins a meeting by saying, "I don't like horror films, and I don't like the people who make them, and here's what I think of your story," then I find I have no poker face at all, and I am perfectly willing to tell someone that they're wrong.

McWeeny (was really thinking when he) wrote:let me tell you about Bob Orci's screenwriting.... but first, let me remind you that i'm a film writer too. and let me explain why, after all these years, and all the connections i've made through AICN and my new website, i'm still toiling away as an internet critic instead of actually working on movies. and let me drop the name of someone i almost worked with to give me some cred. and don't you dare make fun of me, or i'll be forced to bring up that time, years ago, when i wrote a tv episode that john carpenter directed.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Thu May 15, 2014 1:24 pm

weeny

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Mon May 19, 2014 11:32 am

It seems somewhat disappointing that they're getting Robert Orci to direct it.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Mon May 19, 2014 2:18 pm

Fried Gold wrote:It seems somewhat disappointing that they're getting Robert Orci to direct it.

less lens flares! more 9/11 conspiracy theories!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Tue May 20, 2014 10:27 am

TheBaxter wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:It seems somewhat disappointing that they're getting Robert Orci to direct it.

less lens flares! more 9/11 conspiracy theories!

So we get Star Trek Assignment Earth - the crew of the Enterprise help Gary Seven stop 9/11.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Tue May 20, 2014 1:18 pm

Is anyone looking forward to another movie? I don't feel like these movies have made anyone excited, they're just passing entertainments. But I could be wrong 'cause I really don't give a shit anymore.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheBaxter on Tue May 20, 2014 2:13 pm

i wasn't excited before the first two films, and having seen them i'm less excited about a 3rd then i was about the first two.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun May 25, 2014 6:25 am

I also think of the new TREK as a straggler series. I tend to think that it will have a lot of trouble competing against other sci-fi tentpoles in the coming years (new STAR WARS films, AVATAR sequels, a ton of superhero epics, some ALIEN/PROMETHEUS thing etc). The next one will probably be lost in the shadow of the release of some bigger movie and then TREK will be put on ice until the next reboot.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Peven on Sun May 25, 2014 6:03 pm

the competition for viewers will be thick in the next few years so any ST movie will have to be on its game to draw well, but I will be there to buy a ticket if they do make another one. the first two of this series have been a higher quality than most genre offerings so I see no reason not to look forward to another.

it is a sad statement on the taste of moviegoers, though, when ST is derided for not being original enough with people saying they is no need for a sequel while Shitvester Stallone is releasing yet another completely unoriginal, cash grab, shit-on-the-audience's-intelligence, piece of crap Expendables sequel (which should be titled: "Old Guys on Testosterone and HGH Therapy") and no one criticizes that at all

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby RogueScribner on Tue May 27, 2014 1:07 pm

Probably because Star Trek used to be something great and The Expendables is just popcorn entertainment? Yeah, I care about one more than the other. One franchise is trucking along doling out some simple pleasures to its fans and the other is hollow shell of its former self. But it sure is pretty.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby SilentBobX on Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:30 pm

http://badassdigest.com/2014/06/01/turn-down-for-spock-star-trek-stablized/

If they did the end credits anything like this, I'll be there.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:08 pm

Paramount Announces Big 2016 with TRANSFORMERS 5, G.I. JOE 3, HANSEL & GRETEL 2, BEN-HUR, STAR TREK 3, and More
Matt Goldberg wrote:Paramount has no plans to change its gameplan in 2016 with regards to avoiding original movies in favor of franchises and remakes. As we previously reported, Timur Bekmambetov‘s Ben-Hur remake arrives on February 26, 2016, and Beverly Hills Cop 4 is due out on March 25, 2016. As for the studio’s other 2016 tentpoles, Paramount is planning 2016 dates for Star Trek 3, Paranormal Activity 5, Transformers 5, G.I. Joe 3, and Hansel & Gretel 2. How does Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters get a sequel, you ask? Because while it grossed only $55 million domestic, it grossed almost three times that internationally.

CineEurope: Paramount Screens 'Transformers: Age of Extinction' One Day Before World Premiere

UPDATE: Paramount Plans On 2016 Release For TRANSFORMERS 5; BOURNE 5 Delayed
Their 2015 releases include:
    The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water
    Hot Tub Time Machine 2
    The Gambler (with Mark Wahlberg)
    Project Almanac (produced by Michael Bay)
    Terminator: Genesis (with Arnold Schwarzenegger)
    Friday the 13th 3D
    Mission: Impossible 5 (with Tom Cruise)

For 2016, Ryan promised:
    Transformers 5
    GI Joe 3
    Star Trek 3 (directed by Roberto Orci)
    Paranormal Activity 5
    Ben Hur (directed by Timur Bekmambetov)
    Beverly Hills Cop 4 (with Eddie Murphy)
    Hansel and Gretel 2
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:49 am

Hey Paramount! I got your invitations. Thanks, but I think I'm busy washing my hair for the next two years. Let me know what you've got planned for 2017.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:41 am

Spandau Belly wrote:Hey Paramount! I got your invitations. Thanks, but I think I'm busy washing my hair for the next two years. Let me know what you've got planned for 2017.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:07 am

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Age of the Dark Dawn of the Rise of the Secret of the Ooze: Shredder Origins: The Untold Legend: Rapture 3D
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles The Ozone Trilogy

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:56 am

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Electric Boogaloo Affair
Starring Adolfo Quinones as Ozone

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Origins: The Secret of the Ooze: An Inconvenient Truth

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3: Global Warming and Pizza
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:26 pm

Since they've got the rights to the Jason Voorhees character they could lead JASON X into a crossover with STAR TREK. I think JASON VS STAR TREK could be a surprise hit.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Jason X part 2: Jason vs Star Trek

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:20 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:Since they've got the rights to the Jason Voorhees character they could lead JASON X into a crossover with STAR TREK. I think JASON VS STAR TREK could be a surprise hit.

The adventures of the star ship Jason X.
His mission to boldly go where no man has gone before and kill somebody!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Al Shut on Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:37 am

Spandau Belly wrote:Hey Paramount! I got your invitations. Thanks, but I think I'm busy washing my hair for the next two years. Let me know what you've got planned for 2017.

That's some seriously dirty hair.

Another SpongeBob movie could actually be fun.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Spandau Belly on Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:06 am

SPONGEBOB 2 is definitely the best on that list, but it feels a little too late for me to make any effort to see it. Kinda like if they made a Ren & Stimpy movie now or if they made another Beavis & Butt-Head movie.

If SPONGEBOB 2 or GI JOE 3 are showing on an airplane and there's nothing better, then I would watch them.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Re: G.I.Joe 3: Already so very tired.

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:14 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: G.I.Joe 3: Already so very tired.

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:23 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:28 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:43 am

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:32 pm

can't wait, I loved how the ending of Into Darkness was like the prologue to the original series, setting up a wide open universe of possibilities for future installments. but then I am someone who goes to a Star Trek movie to enjoy it, not so I can come up with some clever, insultingly snarky remarks to post about it afterward.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Al Shut on Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:47 pm

As if anyone of us felt the need to see a movie in order to post snarky remarks.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:57 pm

Peven wrote:can't wait, I loved how the ending of Into Darkness was like the prologue to the original series, setting up a wide open universe of possibilities for future installments.

See, I thought that about Star Trek. But then Into Darkness seemed to just rely on lots of stuff that had already been done with Star Trek before.

I didn't mind Into Darkness overall. However, I felt it failed to live up to the potential of what Abrams/Orci said they were trying to do.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:25 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
Peven wrote:can't wait, I loved how the ending of Into Darkness was like the prologue to the original series, setting up a wide open universe of possibilities for future installments.

See, I thought that about Star Trek. But then Into Darkness seemed to just rely on lots of stuff that had already been done with Star Trek before.

I didn't mind Into Darkness overall. However, I felt it failed to live up to the potential of what Abrams/Orci said they were trying to do.

I wish they had gone right into "a five year mission" with the second movie, too. I do understand, though, that in the long view they wanted to establish Khan early on with this new timeline since he is such an iconic character in ST canon, and if you think about it once they set out on that 5 year mission without encountering Khan first the Khan story is off the table for future installments, at least the Khan story with the dynamic that audiences love so much, so if they wanted to do a Khan story they had to do it within the first couple movies, early on in the timeline like in the original series canon. I know, some will say why worry about doing a Khan story at all with this new version, but honestly, once there was a reboot announced people started wondering and anticipating when they would see Khan in this new timeline. it would be like rebooting Batman and after a couple movies Joker hadn't been introduced, yet. in terms of how iconic Khan is as a villain in the Trek universe. at least, imho :wink: :-P

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Next

Return to Movie News