Star Trek Beyond (Now w/ G@y Sulu)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: Star Trek 3: Already so very tired.

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:14 pm

They would have been better off skipping Khan. Khan is iconic, but doesn't mean much in the scheme of things. What made Khan work before was his vendetta against Kirk, but you can't really play that up in a new movie if they've never met before. What's the point? They should have just gone into new territory and made their own ST movie instead of aping the one everyone thinks is the best. That's a no-win scenario right there and they should have known it.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby papalazeru on Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:03 pm

I'm still wondering where the hell is Veger?!?!?!?!?!

I mean, the timeline distortion would have hardly affected that.

And WHAT ABOUT THE WHALES?!?!?! DID SOMEONE THINK TO GO BACK AND PICK UP A PAIR TO CREATE A NEW TIMELINE AND REBOOT THE SERIES ANEW ONCE MORE?!?!?!?!

Cos, you know...these are things that won't be affected by that crappy timeline distortion
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Peven on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:24 pm

papalazeru wrote:I'm still wondering where the hell is Veger?!?!?!?!?!

And WHAT ABOUT THE WHALES?!?!?! DID SOMEONE THINK TO GO BACK AND PICK UP A PAIR TO CREATE A NEW TIMELINE AND REBOOT THE SERIES ANEW ONCE MORE?!?!?!?!

Cos, you know...these are things that won't be affected by that crappy timeline distortion

:? ............................ :shock:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:08 pm

V'Ger is reimagined in the next movie as a colossal sentient spacecraft which threatens Earth in the form of a motion capture character played by Benedict Cumberbatch.

The whales are then reimagined in the following movie as a motion capture whales played by Benedict Cumberbatch.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: G.I.Joe 3: Already so very tired.

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:44 pm

RogueScribner wrote:They would have been better off skipping Khan. Khan is iconic, but doesn't mean much in the scheme of things. What made Khan work before was his vendetta against Kirk, but you can't really play that up in a new movie if they've never met before. What's the point? They should have just gone into new territory and made their own ST movie instead of aping the one everyone thinks is the best. That's a no-win scenario right there and they should have known it.

Its a real Kobayashi Maru.

Fried Gold wrote:

V'Ger is reimagined in the next movie as a colossal sentient spacecraft which threatens Earth in the form of a motion capture character played by Benedict Cumberbatch.

The whales are then reimagined in the following movie as a motion capture whales played by Benedict Cumberbatch.

*It's Cumberbatchs all the way down.

Variety:
Paramount Taps Writer for ‘G.I. Joe 3′ (EXCLUSIVE)
The idea is to get the film into production by the second quarter of 2015 so that it can make the 2016 release date.

*It's turtles all the way down.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:15 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:52 pm

Star Trek 3: Roberto Orci on the Possibility of Bringing in the Larger Canon and Taking over for J.J. Abrams
"If the best idea is when, suddenly, it seems like the best thing ever to do, is to have the Andorians running around, doing something cool, that's what it'll be."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Trek 3: Already so very exciting!

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:29 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:32 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Trek 3: The Wrath of John Harrison?

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:45 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Edgar Wright's Star Trek 3?

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:56 am

'Star Trek 3' Loses Its Director
Reasons for Roberto Orci's departure were not immediately revealed

Roberto Orci Beaming Off ‘Star Trek’ As Director
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:EXCLUSIVE:
Roberto Orci is beaming off the bridge of the Starship Enterprise on Star Trek 3. Rampant rumors are swirling and I’ve confirmed there is fire behind the smoke that he won’t be directing. I even hear that Edgar Wright and others are on a short list to take the job. Orci stays on the project as producer, I’ve heard.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Spike Lee's Star Trek 3?

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:35 am

STAR TREK 3 May Be Saved As Orci Exits
Could it have been an inside job that felled Bob Orci?
Devin Faraci wrote:
I don't know what God needs with a starship, but if it's to take Bob Orci off directing duties on Star Trek 3 he can have mine.

I had made my peace with Orci directing, and now I'm standing here filled with so much hope. The question is whether or not the work that has been done until now will stay; my sources tell me that the script Orci was working on saw the Enterprise, the Vulcans and a new alien race competing to get a time travel device. The Vulcans want to go back and stop the destruction of their planet, and the time travel schtick is what would allow Chris Pine and William Shatner to share the screen. Is that still going to be the plot of the movie - a MacGuffin that could wipe out the previous two films?

[UPDATE: I've been in touch with some folks and it seems like the script was one of the problem factors. Paramount shut the production down last month, sending home all the design people while they battled over the direction of the screenplay. I imagine all this stuff is gone now]

IS J.J. ABRAMS COMING BACK TO DIRECT ‘STAR TREK 3’?
Spike Lee could be directing this picture for all we know.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:44 am

RogueScribner wrote:They would have been better off skipping Khan. Khan is iconic, but doesn't mean much in the scheme of things. What made Khan work before was his vendetta against Kirk, but you can't really play that up in a new movie if they've never met before. What's the point? They should have just gone into new territory and made their own ST movie instead of aping the one everyone thinks is the best. That's a no-win scenario right there and they should have known it.

Why Are Some Franchises So Content With Retelling The Same Story?
James Whitbrook wrote:It's a growing trend with franchises these days - especially long running ones - to mine stories they've done before for the nostalgia element, but at some point it stops tickling those fanboy fuzzies and starts looking like creators are running out of ideas for what they want to do with these universes. Was Into Darkness' rehash of Wrath of Khan really necessary, for example? Considering the Star Trek reboot is meant to be in an alternate universe, it's all the weirder for past stories like that to crop up again, but even more of a shock that we went from rebooting the property with a new story (albeit with familiar-ish characters) to rehashing an old story in the very next sequel. The same for superhero movies, where we get the origin, reboot the property, and then tell the origin again - looking at you, Spider-Man - or we get so many origins that it's less the familiarity of the story that begins to tire us, but the structure. I mean, how many people have you heard lamenting Origin stories lately?

One of the biggest benefits of these long running and massively-scoped franchises is that they can tell so many different stories that are still yet intrinsically part of them. Westeros is big enough a place that the Forresters didn't have to be an almost carbon-copy of the Starks. Star Trek is certainly filled with enough big ideas that JJ Abrams didn't need to return to the well of the original Trek films so soon. Hell, even Doctor Who, which has certainly run a gamut of familiar stories throughout its 50 years, it's also tried to reinvent itself and try new stories and genres all the time, too. These franchises only got to be the behemoths they are by creating new stories all the time, by expanding upon itself instead of just feeding off of what's gone before in the search for a hit of familiarity. Without telling new stories, they'll become stagnant, and we'll slowly lose sight of what made us love them so much in the first place too.

How the Battle Over ‘Star Trek’ Rights Killed J.J. Abrams’ Grand Ambitions
Brent Lang wrote:A major stumbling block: "Star Trek's" licensing and merchandising rights are spread over two media conglomerates with competing goals. The rights to the original television series from the 1960s remained with CBS after it split off from Paramount's corporate parent Viacom in 2006, while the studio retained the rights to the film series. CBS also held onto the ability to create future “Star Trek” TV shows.

Paramount must license the “Star Trek” characters from CBS Consumer Products for film merchandising.

Roberto Orci beams out of the director's chair for 'Star Trek 3'
Whatever the case, this must have Paramount worried because the clock is ticking if they still plan to make that 50th anniversary release date.
Moriarty wrote:This next "Star Trek" is important since it's coming out on the 50th anniversary of the series being created. It also feels like Paramount's got to make a choice about how the series moves forward. I love the 2009 "Trek," and I thought the second film still had a great energy even though there were some big script issues. The cast is in place, though, and it feels like the right filmmaker with the right script could still turn this into an even bigger series than it already is.

According to Devin Faraci, script issues may be behind Orci's sudden change in status on the film, and I'll be curious to see if they also bring in new writers as they find a director, or if they'll hire someone who can do both.

Whatever the case, this must have Paramount worried because the clock is ticking if they still plan to make that 50th anniversary release date.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Edgar Wright's Star Trek 3?

Postby TheButcher on Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:01 am

Robert Zemeckis, Peter Jackson and More Sought For ‘Ready Player One’
Germain Lussier wrote:As for each director’s availability, there’s a chance for each guy. Wright might be the least available because, not only is he sought for Star Trek 3, it seems like he’s already prepping a movie. You think those tweets from Cleveland and New Orleans, in December, were for vacation? Tax breaks, people!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:01 am

I'm neither a big fan of Edgar Wright or Star Trek, but I think he would probably be a good choice at this point in the series. He could play against the previous installments the same way that THE VOYAGE HOME kept things fresh back in the 80s by being more of a comedy and putting the characters in a different setting.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Re: Star Trek 3: In BOB we Trust!

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:45 pm

ScreenRant 1 month ago
‘Star Trek 3′ Cast Teases ‘Phenomenal’ Story That Will ‘Blow People Away’
Chris Agar wrote:Cho is in the same boat as Urban, in that he (allegedly) doesn’t know anything about the film’s plot, but he too is excited about the possibilities. During a Reddit AMA, the actor fielded a question specifically about his thoughts on the film marking Orci’s freshman directorial effort.

Here’s what he had to say:

“I’m absolutely confident in Bob. No one knows these characters better than Bob. And no one knows the Star Trek universe better than Bob. I think he’s going to blow people away.”

Collide:
Roberto Orci Comments on Leaving STAR TREK 3 Director’s Chair; Says He Will Remain “Very Involved”
Matt Goldberg wrote:In the comments section on Trek Movie, Orci told fans, “I will be very involved:)”, and never has a smiley emoticon been so threatening. I’ve made my feelings clear on Orci’s involvement in the franchise, and if I’m taking him at his word, it’s discouraging to hear that he’ll still have sway, especially since it’s been rumored that he was able to weasel his way into the director’s chair by implying that he would undercut any other director.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:40 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Trek 3: Tokyo Drift

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:24 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:09 am

congrats Paramount. of the 5 directors you were choosing between, you somehow managed to pick the worst one.
i can't wait to see what kind of crazy ridiculous stunts and starship chases the Enterprise has in store for it now.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:40 am

I like Lin. I think he's a solid action director (and the low budget comedies/dramedies he did at the start of his career were decent, too). And so I think he should get out from under this. He seems to go from being attached to one sinking ship after the next (BOURNE, TERMINATOR, that Ryan Reynolds HIGHLANDER reboot, now STAR TREK). If he doesn't want to do more F&F movies, he should just give Luc Besson a call and see what scripts he has lying around. I'd rather he turn his attention to mid-budget one-off flicks like JOHN WICK than keep chasing bloated franchises with no future.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:44 pm

"Kirk decides that rules are for fools when he and his Orion-slave girlfriend fall into some serious debt. They journey to Ferenginar to steal the planet's Latinum reserves only to travel back in time to 21st century Los Angeles where they uncover an FBI conspiracy"
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:03 pm

I know it's not fair to pigeonhole Lin, but in my head right now I'm picturing a Star Trek preview with bikini-clad aliens cut to dubsteppy music
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:48 pm

Ribbons wrote:I know it's not fair to pigeonhole Lin, but in my head right now I'm picturing a Star Trek preview with bikini-clad aliens cut to dubsteppy music

Star Trek 3: Tokyo Drift will be released July 8, 2016
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:21 am

Roberto Orci Confirms He Will NOT Write Star Trek 3: Tokyo Drift
Roberto Orci, the man who co-wrote the first two Star Trek films in J.J. Abrams' alternate universe, left a comment at trekmovie.com to clarify he is NOT writing the script for Justin Lin's Star Trek 3: Tokyo Drift.

Roberto Orci Confirms His STAR TREK 3 Script Isn’t Being Used
Evan Dickson wrote: And in response to (unusually persistent) alternate timeline criticisms he states, “Stop blaming BR. It was my idea so that you would not know what was gonna happen next. Nothing more or less. I stand behind it. And it, again, is the reason why I make movies and you don’t.”

"I'm From Hollywood"
Andy Kaufman
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Star Trek 3: Tokyo Drift (Now w/ 200% More AMAZEBALLS)

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:58 am

Simon Pegg Co-Writing ‘Star Trek 3′ With Doug Jung
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:EXCLUSIVE:
Simon Pegg has been set to co-write Star Trek 3, the film that just got Fast & Furious director Justin Lin aboard after Roberto Orci exited the helmer chair. He will co-write the script with Doug Jung, creator of the TNT series Dark Blue. Pegg’s already a pivotal player in the JJ Abrams-produced Paramount/Skydance pic; he also will reprise his role as Scotty, the engineering wiz originated by James Doohan in the original 1960s Gene Roddenberry series. Don’t be surprised if Scotty beams up further on the call sheet. Jung also wrote for Bad Robot and Paramount a film called Diamond, which is how he got the gig. They are just getting underway.

Ribbons wrote:Although I respect DigitalSpy trying to be classy and all, the more accurate headline would have read 'Pegg: Star Trek 2 script is amazeballs'

Simon Pegg set to steer 'Star Trek' for real as he signs on to co-write new sequel
Moriarty wrote:The problem is that since Roberto Orci vacated the director's chair on this film, there have been some heated discussions about what to do with the series. I hear not everyone is united on moving forward with the movies, and I'm curious if there will come a point when a TV version is more economically attractive than the feature model, or if Paramount ever tries to juggle both at the same time again.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:24 pm

things are about to get funky on the Enterprise

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:04 pm

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:13 am

“I Am The One Who Enters The Neutral Zone” - Bryan Cranston For TREK 3?
Rumors, they abound.
Devin Faraci wrote:Neiwsh site Film Divider claims to have the inside scoop on some character elements of Star Trek 3, including the film's big bad guy. According to the site the role is being written with Bryan Cranston in mind, and with him so in mind that he's already taken a meeting with the studio about it.

Cranston as a bad guy is cool, I guess. I'm of the belief that the best Trek stories don't really have villains - they have obstacles the crew must overcome, but they don't all need to be Khan stories. I'd like to see a movie in the vein of Naked Time or City on the Edge of Forever. I think The Voyage Home sort of nailed this - there's a threat, but it's not a villainous threat. But if it is going to be a villain, I hope it's a Klingon. We haven't had the Klingons done right in the new series, and while I'm all for new worlds and new species there are plenty of great TOS episodes that have both the Klingons and new worlds. The Cold War between the Federation and the Empire allows for the Enterprise and a Klingon captain - say Kor, from the first season of TOS? - to be in competition over a new civilization or something.

The other three roles that Film Divider talks about are more interesting. There's a female Starfleet captain role, one that is intended for an actor with the vitality of Chris Pine - a foil for old Captain Kirk? I like it. And then there's a female President of the United Federation of Planets, which is apparently a franchise first. And then there's word that the film is casting Bones' ex-wife, which is big news. The last two films have been so laser focused on Kirk and Spock that the rest of the ensemble has been largely left in the dust. The original show was a three-hander with side characters, and I hope that this movie gets more to the trinity aspect of the show.

I'm hopeful for Star Trek 3. I had a bad reaction to Justin Lin being hired - after all, that just feels like going further down the Star Wars path that Abrams started us on - but with Simon Pegg co-writing the script I'm feeling better. With these rumors I'm also feeling better.

Please be good, Star Trek 3
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: STAR TR3K: TOKYO DRIFT

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:19 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:57 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:53 pm

Isn't it always about adventure and optimism?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Al Shut on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:08 pm

More like "Shouldn't it always be about adventure and optimism"

But I have to say after finally seeing Into Darkness and enjoying it more than the first reboot I'm a lot more open to a third movie.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Peven on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:48 pm

Al Shut wrote:More like "Shouldn't it always be about adventure and optimism"

But I have to say after finally seeing Into Darkness and enjoying it more than the first reboot I'm a lot more open to a third movie.

I, too, found the second movie to be better than the first and think the way they closed it set up great possibilities for future installments reminiscent of the spirit of the OS

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Re: STAR TR3K: BEYOND TOKYO DRIFT

Postby TheButcher on Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:50 am

/film:
‘Star Trek 3′ Likely Titled ‘Star Trek Beyond’

Collider:
STAR TREK 3: Simon Pegg Says He’s Writing Idris Elba an Original “Kick Ass Role”
And regarding the new 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' trailer:
“I think the trailer is better than all of the prequels combined.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon May 11, 2015 7:05 pm

In a Nerdist interview with Pegg that came out today he talked a little about Star Trek. He has a couple of things to say (including his answer to a question about whether teh Shat might make an appearance) but the interesting response to me was:

N: Can you give us any hint as to the tone or vibe this Trek will employ?

SP: I think the most important thing is that it’s fun. The thing I anticipated most was the reaction people had when they heard I would be contributing to the writing: “Oh, it’s gonna be a comedy.” Star Trek was never a comedy at its own expense. The Voyage Home, was very comic but never at its own expense; it was slightly more broad in its comic approach. I feel like Star Trek has always been just fun and beguiling. There’s some fantastic moments of lightheartedness in the TV series, which people often forget. It won’t be as somber as The Motion Picture, but it won’t be as silly as The Voyage Home. It’s gonna be Star Trek. It will be Star Trek, and will push the positivism and the frontierism and the sense of adventure. And also try and bring new stuff to it as well. It needs to be what it is, and we’re gonna try and hang onto the spirit of the original TV show.

Obviously a lot of generalities there but I do like his thoughts as to the feel of the movie. I like the focus on positivism and frontierism in particular. One of my problems with the first two Trek films is that you don't ever see them actually, y'know, "trekking". I actually liked the first move more than most. I didn't like the second as much. But neither movie had a sense of wonder or exploration, they were more action films. Not surprising since the exploration part of this story really does lend itself more easily to television than a big budget movie, and the most successful Trek films have been more about the action, but it would be nice to see if Pegg could bring that feeling back to the franchise in some degree.

full interview: http://nerdist.com/exclusive-simon-pegg-talks-kill-me-three-times-mission-impossible-rogue-nation-and-star-trek-3/
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 19, 2015 9:04 pm

Simon Pegg Warns Against "Infantilization" of Popular Culture
Genre movies are "ultimately driven by market forces," argues the 'Star Trek' writer and actor.

We Must Accept Simon Pegg As The King Of The Geeks
(Also he confirms the next TREK is called STAR TREK BEYOND)
DEVIN FARACI wrote:What Pegg is doing is having a nuanced thought process about his interests and the world that he is creating by working on and writing movies like Star Trek Beyond (and by the way, in his reply Pegg confirms this is the name of the new Trek movie). This is a struggle I have all the time - have I, through my boosterism of the geek shit I love, made the world a little bit worse?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Trek 3: Borrowing Money from MC Hammer

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:26 am

‘Star Trek 3′ Will Introduce ‘New Worlds & Species’
Director Justin Lin says that ‘Star Trek 3′ will feature new worlds and species, as the Enterprise finally embarks on its 5-year mission.

Justin Lin Talks STAR TREK 3
Exploring New Worlds and Borrowing Money from MC Hammer
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Trek 4: Already so very tired.

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:18 pm

'Star Trek 3' Stars Score Big Raises as Kirk and Spock Sign for Fourth Movie (Exclusive)
Sources say that a condition of the raises for Pine and Quinto was that the studio was granted options for a fourth movie in order to keep one of Hollywood's most iconic pairings, Kirk and Spock, intact.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:07 pm

'Star Trek Beyond': Idris Elba Teases Who He's Playing
"Not to blow the plot, [but] I'm the new Captain Kirk," he says, pushing Chris Pine out of the way.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:38 pm

Now w/ Quicktime:

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:47 pm

Fried Gold wrote:Now w/ Quicktime:

Jeebus H Cripes you gotta be kidding me!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:13 pm

to boldly go where no Beastie Boy has gone before!

i think the final line of that trailer just about sums up my feelings towards this whole series.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:05 pm

Considering that the Beastie Boys have been included in the first two films, is it such a surprise that they might be in the third?

I read articles and comments slamming this before I watched it just now. The main complaint being that there is too much humor, the music sucks, and it looks too much like the Fast and the Furious.

-Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home is considered one of the better Star Trek flims....... because of its humor (which was, and still is, some of the cheesiest humor to ever make me laugh).
-Like I said before, The Beastie Boys are in the previous two films.
-I didn't see a single fucking car anywhere. Or Vin Diesel. Or Paul Walker's Force Ghost.

It looks entertaining to me. I'll catch it at home.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:28 pm

Fievel wrote:Considering that the Beastie Boys have been included in the first two films, is it such a surprise that they might be in the third?

surprise? no. disappointment? yes. if this film actually looked good, THAT would be the surprise.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:27 pm

It looks nothing like Star Trek...but I don't really care that much about that. I could see how the Trekkies might be a bit up in arms tho. If there are any that haven't written off this franchise yet.

It looks like (stop reading if you haven't watched the trailer due to spoilers) the Enterprise gets destroyed pretty early on and they are marooned...or something? That, to me, is the most disappointing part of the trailer. The main thing I like about Trek is the Enterprise, and the adventures of the crew in that context. I don't care much about Pine, Quinto and crew running around a random planet shooting at bad guys. To me it's like saying your favorite character isn't going to be in the movie. I dislike Voyage Home for the same reason (though I agree that the cheesy humor in that film makes it palatable).
Lord Voldemoo

Postby so sorry on Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:09 pm

Doesn't the Enterprise get blow up in every other movie?

Enterprise = Kenny.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:22 pm

Voyage Home is probably my 2nd favorite trek film. (definitely 2nd favorite with the original crew). i certainly don't mind humor in a trek film. but Voyage Home earns it's humor from the relationships and character-building of the original series and the first 3 films. and it works in large part because of the charisma of the original cast. two crappy Trek films with more lens flares than character beats don't do much to set up a fun character-based comedy. there's nothing wrong with the cast of these remakes, but they haven't been given enough time and enough to do in previous films to establish that camaraderie.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:40 pm

TheBaxter wrote:Voyage Home is probably my 2nd favorite trek film. (definitely 2nd favorite with the original crew). i certainly don't mind humor in a trek film. but Voyage Home earns it's humor from the relationships and character-building of the original series and the first 3 films. and it works in large part because of the charisma of the original cast. two crappy Trek films with more lens flares than character beats don't do much to set up a fun character-based comedy. there's nothing wrong with the cast of these remakes, but they haven't been given enough time and enough to do in previous films to establish that camaraderie.

Agreed. I felt the same way about Into Darkness and all of the more serious character moments there (particularly Kirk's "death"...though there were about 50 other issues with that too)
Lord Voldemoo

Postby SilentBobX on Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:52 pm

Saw this trailer, it was an abomination. Like a fan film made with a larger budget. And what the fuck was with that motorcycle? How could they still have those in the 23rd century?

Madness I tell you.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:50 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:Now w/ Quicktime:

Jeebus H Cripes you gotta be kidding me!

To boldly go where no Beastie Boy has gone before!

Captain Kirk's Awesome Mix, Volume 1?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News