Star Trek Beyond (Now w/ G@y Sulu)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: Star Trek 3: Already so very tired.

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:10 am

"listen all of y'all, it's a sabotage...

... of a once-beloved tv show and movie franchise!"
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:13 am

The good news is with expectations that low I might slightly enjoy this in the end, li9ke I did with the two previous ones.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:32 am

Simon Pegg Responds to the Criticism of the First ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Trailer
“I didn’t love it because I know there’s a lot more to the film.”
KYLE MISKELL wrote:
The first trailer for Star Trek Beyond premiered earlier this week, and it showcased a much more action-packed, humor-riddled follow up to J.J. Abrams’ first two films. While not a foregone conclusion based on limited footage, such an approach wouldn’t be too surprising, as it is the first film in this iteration of the franchise not to be directed by Abrams. Instead, Justin Lin (Fast & Furious) is occupying the chair, while Simon Pegg (The World’s End) and Doug Jung (Dark Blue) are behind script duties for the first time (although Roberto Orci, John D. Payne, and Patrick McKay do receive screenplay credit).

So while a new approach may be understandable given these changes, the somewhat drastically different vibe didn’t go unnoticed by fans. Now, Pegg himself has responded to – and perhaps shared in – this sentiment. At the European premiere for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Pegg was asked by HeyUGuys on his thoughts of the first trailer. His response is extremely revealing, and a bit reassuring.
“It was very action-packed,” Pegg initially…laments? It would appear by his response that he was taken aback by the tone the trailer presented. Pegg goes on to say, “It was surprising. I kind of find it to be the marketing people sorta saying, ‘Everybody come and see this film, it’s full of action and fun,’ when there’s a lot more to it than that.”

So for those of you who found yourselves a bit nervous upon watching the first trailer to the first post-Abrams Star Trek, take the words of the guy who not only stars in the film but also helped write it to heart: “I didn’t love it because I know there’s a lot more to the film.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby papalazeru on Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:47 am

Nothing so far in any of these films have been particularly Star Trek as far as I'm concerned.

I would like more Science Fiction rather than Science action.

Into Darkness started to go in the right direction but then, like Man of Steel, as it started to get interesting, it just turned it into an action flick. The first Star Trek I was willing to forgive a little as it was the opener and they wanted people to flock to the cinema but the sequel - I just couldn't.

I hope Simon can add something to it, something a little more pensive, and he may have written some of the script but it's the bean counters who will have the last say and I fear the success of the last 2 films will mean they will continue with more of the same.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Re: Star Trek 3

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:21 pm

TheBaxter wrote:

i didn't know Christopher Nolan invented the film trilogy!

i hear they'd already written the ending: [misinterpretation of Lost finale non-spoiler]we find out that that scene in the original film where young kirk drives the car over the cliff, he actually went over with it and died in the crash, and everything that happens in the following films is just kirk coming to terms with his death in purgatory[/misinterpretation of Lost finale non-spoiler]

and the final shot, which they had thought up at the very beginning of writing the trilogy, is [actual Lost finale spoiler]a close-up of young dying kirk closing his eye[/actual Lost finale spoiler]

It will include slow-motion shots of the crew grinning at each other whilst slapping each other on the back
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Re: Star Trek Beyond Thunderdome

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 15, 2016 1:23 am

John Cho: Star Trek Beyond Feels Like The Best Of The Original Series
"Star Trek Beyond" opens in theaters on July 22, 2016.
BRIAN DREW wrote:John Cho has a very good feeling about Star Trek Beyond.

The actor spoke to Famous Monsters magazine as part of their special issue celebrating Star Trek‘s 50th Anniversary. He talks a great deal about the much-anticipated third installment in the rebooted film series, and we’ve got a few excerpts.

Cho describes the adjustment that he and the rest of the cast had to make to new director Justin Lin and his approach to the material:
[Justin Lin] cared about the mythology, he cared about the world, he cared about getting it right, he cared about moving the characters forward. … I think we all had question marks; it’s tough to be told that the guy you made two successful movies with isn’t going to be helming the third one. But we were all just really pleasantly surprised as we eased into working with him.

Simon Pegg and Doug Jung are writing the screenplay this time around, and Cho says they brought a very particular feeling to the story:
What you’re going to get when you ask Simon Pegg to pen a script is a very human touch. And a warm touch. And that can come out in comedy, but doesn’t necessarily have to. And there are some funny moments. But I think he and [co-writer Doug Jung], from what I could tell, were constantly looking for connections between the characters. And that, from the cast perspective, was what was spectacular about asking Simon and Doug to do it. It just felt like they were looking for human moments.

Cho feels that the film really captures the spirit of TOS:
When I read the script, my emotional impression was that it felt very much like the best of the original series. It felt like the series felt to me. And the first [film] that we made didn’t entirely feel like that to me.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 22, 2016 2:35 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby papalazeru on Mon May 23, 2016 9:30 am

TheButcher wrote:

I could quite easily pooh-pooh this but what the hell, it looks like new material not a rehash so colour me intrigued.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Peven on Mon May 23, 2016 4:47 pm

of course, it doesn't look like any other Trek movies to date.....so now will come the "it doesn't look like Star Trek, it sucks" whining.......just a matter of time

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:30 pm

Chris Pine Says ‘Star Trek’ Can’t be ‘Cerebral’ in 2016
“You can’t make a cerebral Star Trek in 2016. It just wouldn’t work in today’s marketplace. You can hide things in there – Star Trek Into Darkness has crazy, really demanding questions and themes, but you have to hide it under the guise of wham-bam explosions and planets blowing up. It’s very, very tricky. The question that our movie poses is “Does the Federation mean anything?” And in a world where everybody’s trying to kill one another all of the time, that’s an important thing. Is working together important? Should we all go our separate ways? Does being united against something mean anything?”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:22 am

I don't know that I agree. Christopher Nolan is a pretty openly cerebral blockbuster filmmaker. I don't think everything has to be disguised under layers of "wham-bam", as he says. But I'll grant that it's harder to get away with these days, and especially with so much money on the line. And that the Next Generation movies were boring as fuck.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:04 am

yeah, I'm not a fan of how Pine paints such a simplistic vision of how to make a successful movie these days, along with the cop out that they have to dumb down movies because that is what the audience wants.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:05 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:02 pm

Ribbons wrote:I don't know that I agree. Christopher Nolan is a pretty openly cerebral blockbuster filmmaker. I don't think everything has to be disguised under layers of "wham-bam", as he says. But I'll grant that it's harder to get away with these days, and especially with so much money on the line. And that the Next Generation movies were boring as fuck.

i think he's right about Star Trek films. there are plenty of cerebral sci-fi films, and they can have large budgets and be successful. but the ST franchise has kind of painted itself into a corner to where people expect it to be a good guys vs. bad guys action film every time. those kinds of films can be cerebral too (i still think Wrath of Khan is filled to the brim with interesting themes and questions, despite being the film that established the modern Star Trek action blueprint) but i think it's really difficult to do that film after film after film.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:28 pm

Ribbons wrote:RIP Anton Yelchin :(

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:08 am

'Star Trek Beyond' Actress Sofia Boutella on Going From Madonna's Backup Dancer to Big-Budget Movies
The actress left the world of professional dancing at the age of 29 to pursue acting for two fruitless years before landing one role of a lifetime after another.

‘Star Trek’ Charts Course For Comic-Con To Mark 50th Anniversary
William Shatner Set For Panel
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:42 am

TheButcher wrote:‘Star Trek’ Charts Course For Comic-Con To Mark 50th Anniversary

that's a whole lot of people for him to tell them to get a life.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:32 am

TheBaxter wrote:
TheButcher wrote:‘Star Trek’ Charts Course For Comic-Con To Mark 50th Anniversary

That's guaranteed to be the first thing he says (and all the geeks will rejoice).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:17 am

so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

That's guaranteed to be the first thing he says (and all the geeks will rejoice).

but they still won't get a life... no matter how many times he tells them.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:26 pm

that is why we need to vote for Bernie, he has an idea for a government program to rehabilitate Trekkies into healthy, productive members of society

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:27 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

but they still won't get a life... no matter how many times he tells them.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:09 am

George Takei Reacts to Dumbledore Sulu News: "I Think It's Really Unfortunate"
Speaking exclusively to THR, the actor and LGBT activist says the 'Star Trek Beyond' development for his character is out of step with what creator Gene Roddenberry would have wanted.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:52 am

TheButcher wrote:George Takei Reacts to Dumbledore Sulu News: "I Think It's Really Unfortunate"
Speaking exclusively to THR, the actor and LGBT activist says the 'Star Trek Beyond' development for his character is out of step with what creator Gene Roddenberry would have wanted.

i really don't understand Takei's position. Roddenberry's dead, who knows what he would've wanted if he was still alive today. i'm pretty sure what Star Trek has become has already strayed pretty far from his vision anyway, i doubt he envisioned Star Trek to ultimately turn into a brainless sci-fi action film franchise. it seems like they chose Sulu as a tribute to Takei and his groundbreaking role as one of the first major actors to come out as Dumbledore, so it's a shame he doesn't see it that way. sounds like he's more upset that they chose to go ahead with the change despite his wishes, rather than the actual making the character Dumbledore.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:23 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i really don't understand Takei's position. Roddenberry's dead, who knows what he would've wanted if he was still alive today.

I'm sure Takei knows Rodenberry better than you do, and would have a better understanding of what he wanted.

Have a good day, Sir.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:58 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:i really don't understand Takei's position. Roddenberry's dead, who knows what he would've wanted if he was still alive today.

I'm sure Takei knows Rodenberry better than you do, and would have a better understanding of what he wanted.

Have a good day, Sir.

he probably does know better than me. i don't claim to have any idea what roddenberry would want today. but roddenberry's been dead nearly a quarter of a century, so i don't think ANYONE, including Takei himself, know well enough to invoke his name and say he would or wouldn't have wanted this. whatever convo's he had with roddenberry a half century ago when the show was on the air aren't relevant today. back then, an interracial kiss was so controversial they nearly couldn't air it. so you can't say because a certain character wasn't Dumbledore in the 60s version, that he wouldn't have wanted that character to be Dumbledore in the 2010's version. besides, this version of Trek completely wiped out the entire history of the ST universe in the first movie, so what was or wasn't so in the original version is completely irrelevant. if you want to talk about shitting all over the legacy of Roddenberry's Trek, you might start with the fact that this series undid every single episode and movie of the original series with a lame time-travel plot device. but i don't remember Takei ever complaining about that.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:02 pm

TheBaxter wrote: but i don't remember Takei ever complaining about that.

That's because you don't know him that well.

Now off you go, enjoy your day.

Sir.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Re: Star Trek 3: Sulu’s Sexuality

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:19 pm

‘Star Trek Beyond’: Simon Pegg Responds to George Takei’s Disapproval of Sulu’s Homosexuality
The two actors have a respectful disagreement with fascinating arguments.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:04 am

My issue with this, besides for the continuity thing, is why did it have to be Sulu? Because the actor who played him happened to be g@y so everybody sees him as g@y anyways? I can definitely see why that line of thinking makes Takei uncomfortable. It's sort of like that thing Matt Damon said about how actors should never come out because on some level it will affect the perception that they can ever really play "straight." Which is sad.

If it had to be an original cast member, why couldn't it have been Scotty, huh, Simon Pegg!? You and your weird little alien friend didn't spend all that time alone for nothing!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Star Trek Beyond (Now w/ G@y Sulu)

Postby Fievel on Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:03 am

I read George's point when he posted on Facebook. I understood what he was saying, but I agree more with what Pegg said.
Great points made by both, though.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:21 am

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
TheBaxter wrote: but i don't remember Takei ever complaining about that.

That's because you don't know him that well.

Now off you go, enjoy your day.

Sir.

how dare you say that! we're facebook friends, he writes funny posts on my wall every day!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:29 am

Ribbons wrote:My issue with this, besides for the continuity thing, is why did it have to be Sulu? Because the actor who played him happened to be g@y so everybody sees him as g@y anyways? I can definitely see why that line of thinking makes Takei uncomfortable. It's sort of like that thing Matt Damon said about how actors should never come out because on some level it will affect the perception that they can ever really play "straight." Which is sad.

If it had to be an original cast member, why couldn't it have been Scotty, huh, Simon Pegg!? You and your weird little alien friend didn't spend all that time alone for nothing!

they said they did it as a tribute to Takei, and that seems reasonable. whatever else someone might think of the decision, it seems to have been made with good intentions.

i still think this film series has crapped all over the original Trek legacy though, in far worse ways.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:12 am

they should have made Kirk Dumbledore. period. a phlaming phaser-toting philandering space-pharing captain with mid-calf leather boots and purple Starfleet uniform

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:56 am

Kirks is overcompensating.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: Star Trek IV: Pinesworth Begins

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:03 pm

Is Chris Hemsworth Returning for ‘Star Trek 4’? J.J. Abrams Teases Next Sequel
TWITTER:
Scott Mantz wrote:BREAKING!! #JJAbrams confirms to me that a 4th #StarTrek movie will bring together #ChrisPine & #ChrisHemsworth!!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Trek IV: Pinesworth Begins

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:10 pm

J.J. Abrams Says William Shatner Won’t Appear In Kelvin Timeline
Star Trek Beyond producer J.J. Abrams explains why it’s unlikely William Shatner will play Captain Kirk in the Kelvin Timeline.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:52 am

92% at RT, and the reviews are pretty solid, too.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_beyond/

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:42 am

Box Office: ‘Star Trek Beyond’ Warps Toward $55 Million Debut
The new film is an expensive one, carrying an $185 million production budget.
Brent Lang wrote:It’s been a rough few months for Paramount Pictures.

Not just because films like “Zoolander 2” and “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows” fell flat at the box office. The venerable studio has been engulfed in the ongoing corporate fight over the future of its parent company, Viacom.

The company’s CEO Philippe Dauman is selling a minority stake in Paramount, a move that controlling shareholder Sumner Redstone and his daughter Shari Redstone, oppose. So things must be a little awkward on the lot.

But help, or at least a Starship Enterprise-sized distraction, is on the way. The studio is bringing “Star Trek Beyond” into theaters, launching the third film in the rebooted sci-fi series across 3,800 locations, including 391 Imax venues. The latest in the long-running franchise is expected to pull in a solid $55 million, with some analysts projecting it could hit $60 million.

That should be enough to top the weekend box office, but it is down from the $70.2 million launch of 2014’s “Star Trek Into Darkness” and the $75.2 million bow of 2009’s “Star Trek.” The latest voyage sees Justin Lin (“Fast & Furious 6”) take over the directing reins from J.J. Abrams, who is still a producer after helming the two previous films.

Paramount clearly believes that audiences are still eager to follow the Enterprise crew on more deep space adventures. It already announced a sequel, which will bring back Chris Hemsworth as Kirk’s father, and is backing a new television series.

“It’s definitely a bright spot for Paramount,” said Shawn Robbins, senior analyst at BoxOffice.com. “There’s still momentum left in the franchise.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:10 am

uh, yeah, take a look at the post above for some context, those reviews are going to play a part in the BO. that's the problem with newsbots, they just post stuff without context or awareness of what was posted before....

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:05 am

Watched GALAXY QUEST recently which put me on a TREK mood, so I'm gonna go see this tomorrow despite thinking the last piece of shit was a real piece of shit.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:52 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:I'm gonna go see this tomorrow despite thinking the last piece of shit was a real piece of shit.

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:30 pm

So, yeah, I didn't watch this. Turns out it's cheaper to stay home and jerk off.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Peven on Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:09 pm

you're married, aren't you

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:18 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:So, yeah, I didn't watch this. Turns out it's cheaper to stay home and jerk off.

and more satisfying too?

so is that what you mean by "Feeling the Dern"? Bruce Dern is an odd name for a penis, but i've heard stranger.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:46 pm

Peven wrote:you're married, aren't you

Terminally.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Peven on Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:09 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Peven wrote:you're married, aren't you

Terminally.

aka, The Walking Dead :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby RaulMonkey on Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:58 pm

Ribbons wrote:My issue with this, besides for the continuity thing, is why did it have to be Sulu? Because the actor who played him happened to be g@y so everybody sees him as g@y anyways? I can definitely see why that line of thinking makes Takei uncomfortable. It's sort of like that thing Matt Damon said about how actors should never come out because on some level it will affect the perception that they can ever really play "straight." Which is sad.

It's been said that there is very little to prove that Sulu was straight in the original canon, apart from his Mirror universe counterpart coming onto Uhura.

Even that can be discounted though because Mirror-universe Kira was notably bisexual, while regular-universe Kira never showed such proclivities.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby RaulMonkey on Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:16 pm

As for BEYOND, I know it was a good movie because when I left the theatre I thought I was a Starfleet officer. I went to Lowe's after to pick up some caulk for my bathtub, and on the way into the store I ran across this rocky section where some trees were planted, and I felt like pulling out an imaginary phaser and shooting a mah'f'ah'er.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:34 pm

...to boldly go where no caulk has gone before.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby RaulMonkey on Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:11 pm

You've got to wedge it into the crack, then wipe away the white stuff.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Peven on Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:14 pm

saw this today....it was aight

Peven
Is This Real Life?

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News