Star Trek Beyond (Now w/ G@y Sulu)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: Star Trek Beyond (Now w/ G@y Sulu)

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:28 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:You've got to wedge it into the crack, then wipe away the white stuff.

oh my.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:13 pm

Peven wrote:saw this today....it was aight

Painfully a'ight.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:58 am

Ribbons wrote:
Peven wrote:saw this today....it was aight

Painfully a'ight.

right? i have been a defender of the last couple movies and this one was ok, but I was honestly a little underwhelmed walking out of the theatre.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby RaulMonkey on Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:55 pm

Just a'ight, but maybe the best of this new series. I need to re-watch the first one.

Maybe I'm getting soft, but I felt a special sense of wonder with BEYOND at times. Yorktown looked really cool, and when the Franklin blasted away from the planet and took off into space, and the sun hit Jaylah's face, there were almost goosebumps.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Peven on Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:18 pm

RaulMonkey wrote:Just a'ight, but maybe the best of this new series. I need to re-watch the first one.

Maybe I'm getting soft, but I felt a special sense of wonder with BEYOND at times. Yorktown looked really cool, and when the Franklin blasted away from the planet and took off into space, and the sun hit Jaylah's face, there were almost goosebumps.

you know, now that you mention it, those shots of the starbase were probably the best "moments" for me and a high point in the movie in regard to feeling Star Trekky, imho

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:15 am

Yeah, "Yorktown" was a masterpiece of production design. One of the coolest things I've seen in a while.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:31 am

Why Karl Urban Nearly Passed on ‘Star Trek Beyond’
Jack Giroux wrote:While speaking with StarTrek.com, Urban — who’s a genuine fan of Star Trek — told the outlet why he had second thoughts about playing Bones again:
I certainly was hesitant about reprising the role of McCoy. I felt that I was in agreement with a vast number of fans and audience members and critics who, after watching ‘Into Darkness,’ felt that the character had become marginalized. And I was not keen to repeat that experience. I was out of contract. Because of the Olivia de Havilland law in America, I was no longer under obligation to do a third picture, and was, actually, in fact, negotiating to do another film when we were contacted and asked about reprising the role of McCoy. So I was somewhat ambivalent about it. And I really liked this other piece of material.

Justin Lin helped put Urban’s concerns to rest. The director assured the actor Bones would have a meaningful role in Star Trek Beyond:
I raised my concerns and issues with him. And he outlined the story and the vision that he had for the character. And I was immediately intrigued and also somewhat reassured that he was a long-term fan of Star Trek, that he understood the weight and value of the character, and how the character interacts with Spock and Kirk. So that gave me a great deal of security, which enabled me to make the decision. And I’m so glad I did. I feel that the version of McCoy in Star Trek Beyond is the most well-defined version of the character that I’ve had the benefit to play. So it’s all turned out for the best.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:54 am

'Star Trek' Before J.J. Abrams: The Secret Projects That Were Almost Made
Homer's 'The Odyssey' in space, a new animated series and Christopher Walken (yes, Walken) as Kirk’s great great grandfather. Here's a look at the five-year missions that almost were before the 2009 reboot.
Edward Gross and Mark. A. Altman wrote:ERIK JENDRESEN (writer, Star Trek: The Beginning):

Shortly after Band of Brothers, I got a call from my agent, who said, "Would you be interested in getting into Star Trek?" And I said, "No." I don't really like science fiction. I'm kind of an odd purist that way. If it's not Jules Verne or H.G. Wells or Edgar Allen Poe or Arthur Conan Doyle, I'm not that interested. But they didn't take no for an answer. [Producer] Jordan Kerner called me back and said, "Would you come consult?" And I said, "Sure." I loved two things about Star Trek. The first was this sort of Horatio Hornblower aspect to Kirk. All of that boldness. It's sort of a throwback to a great kind of literary figure and hero. Second, I realized I loved the fact that the stories were always, at the time, of political or social relevance. There was a message behind them all. And it was kind of lovely. I really respected that.

I decided to tell them something that I thought they'd never go for: Imagine this baby as a trilogy. It should be something that fills that missing place in the canon. It was sort of like having an encyclopedia. This encyclopedia is missing the letter T. There's a gap. And interestingly enough, at least for the original series, an inciting incident that's referred to but we've never seen is the Earth-Romulan War that started the whole thing. I'd ever so loosely fashion the first one on The Iliad. And the sequel would be ever so loosely based on The Odyssey. I would love to leave the hero and his crew stranded and having to make their way slowly back to Earth having no idea whether Earth exists or not. It's going to take them years to get back on this crippled ship. And that journey in the sequel to the prequel would also involve some of the interesting moments that harken back to the original series.

GLEN C. OLIVER (film & TV critic, Ain't It Cool News):
Jendersen's Star Trek: The Beginning was massive in scale and rich in emotion. The script felt complex thematically, and suggested settings which were more vibrant and sprawling than anything the Trek movies had shown us to date. The Beginning was, fundamentally, a classic World War II-esque tale focusing on a young and somewhat rudderless Tiberius Chase, who we infer was a forefather of James T. Kirk, forced to quickly define his purpose in life when Romulans show up to smite Earth as part of an ethnic cleansing campaign against the Vulcans.

JENDRESEN:
I was so looking forward to the second one, because it was going to be a chase from Romulan space. And also, the great notion being that most of the Romulan fleet would be heading back to Romulus from Earth so they are sort of on a collision course with the whole Romulan fleet. I was looking forward to inventing the adventures of Odysseus on his way home— back to Penelope.

I did have one person in mind when I wrote it. But it's a tertiary character. Tiberius is Kirk's great-grand father. So his great-great-grand father is Tiberius' father, Otto Chase, who leads this group of xenophobes, and I was just absolutely convinced there was only one guy to play him. And that was Christopher Walken.

This could work. Just change the main character's name from Tiberius Chase to Balthazar Edison.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:59 am

Summer Box-Office Wrap: Why Hollywood's on Red Alert Despite Near-Record Revenue
The sequelitis virus infected a number of big-budget franchise installments, except for a precious few (think 'Captain America: Civil War' and 'Finding Dory'), while horror also helped save the day and Disney dominated.
Pamela McClintock wrote:Paramount's Star Trek Beyond is another franchise installment that's trailing the last film in its series, 2013's Star Trek Into Darkness ($467.4 million). Star Trek Beyond has earned $243 million to date worldwide and will need to be a sizeable player when it opens in China next month to land in the black.

"This summer there have simply been too many sequels, reboots, remakes and even re-quels that have failed to measure up to audience expectations," says box-office analyst Paul Dergarabedian. "This has created a negative perception of what Hollywood has to offer, and despite solid overall revenues and what will likely be the second-biggest summer on record, a long-term trend like this could erode goodwill and consumer enthusiasm over time."

BOM:
Domestic Total as of Aug. 30, 2016: $151,391,338
Production Budget: $185 million
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:45 pm

Star Trek Beyond probably would have been a much bigger success if they'd gone with their original concept... Star Trek Beyonce
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: Star Trek Beyonce (Now w/ 100% More Falling Down)

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:35 pm

^Image
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Trek Beyond 2 (Now w/ 200% More G@y Sulu)

Postby TheButcher on Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:49 am

AICN:
Is Simon Pegg Writing The STAR TREK BEYOND Sequel??
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:06 am

The New Power of "Yes": Who Actually Has Greenlight Authority at the Movie Studios
Paramount re-evaluates Brad Grey's influence as industry upheavals alter internal politics all over town and committees become the norm. Gripes one producer, "You used to know whom to appeal to — and now you're not sure."

BRAD GREY’S EXIT AT PARAMOUNT IS IMMINENT (EXCLUSIVE)
Grey’s departure from his post as Chairman and CEO of the studio is imminent — as in, no longer a matter of “if,” but a matter of “when,”
Jeff Sneider wrote:While Paramount has numerous Oscar nominations this year thanks to Fences and Arrival, the studio’s box office fortunes have been decidedly mixed, with Monster Trucks, Silence, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot and Rings among its recent flops. The studio also took a hefty write-down on Star Trek Beyond, and saw both Ben-Hur and Zoolander 2 underperform.

The Wrap May 15, 2013:
How the Battle Over 'Star Trek' Rights Killed J.J. Abrams' Grand Ambitions
The franchise's licensing and merchandising rights are split between CBS and Paramount which created headaches for the multihyphenate's production company Bad Robot
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Star Trek Beyond 2 (Now w/ 200% More CGI Spock?)

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:06 am

Adam Nimoy Would Not Mind If Star Trek Resurrected Spock, Rogue One Style
“Yeah I think it’s an interesting idea. I loved what they did in Rogue One. I thought it was pretty clever, and I was blown away by it, frankly. All of the stuff that Peter Cushing was doing was mind-boggling to me. I’m a sucker for that stuff. I think it should certainly be explored, but I’m not the final arbiter as to whether it’s going to happen, but I think it’s a great idea, personally.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: John Wick 3: Planet Wick

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:28 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:I like Lin. I think he's a solid action director (and the low budget comedies/dramedies he did at the start of his career were decent, too). And so I think he should get out from under this. He seems to go from being attached to one sinking ship after the next (BOURNE, TERMINATOR, that Ryan Reynolds HIGHLANDER reboot, now STAR TREK). If he doesn't want to do more F&F movies, he should just give Luc Besson a call and see what scripts he has lying around. I'd rather he turn his attention to mid-budget one-off flicks like JOHN WICK than keep chasing bloated franchises with no future.

THR JULY 25, 2017:
Lionsgate Plotting 'John Wick' Universe With 'Ballerina' Action Script (Exclusive)
Borys Kit wrote:Basil Iwanyk, whose Thunder Road banner is behind the hit 'Wick' action franchise that stars Keanu Reeves, will produce.

Lionsgate has won a bidding war to pick up a female-centric spec action script titled Ballerina that will serve as a platform for a possible John Wick spinoff.

Basil Iwanyk, whose Thunder Road banner is behind the hit Wick action franchise starring Keanu Reeves, will produce Ballerina.

While Lionsgate is relishing the idea of a franchise expansion, the screenwriter behind Ballerina is living out a Hollywood dream.

The deal marks the first sale for Shay Hatten, a 23-year-old scribe who idolizes Shane Black (Lethal Weapon) and is currently working as a writer's assistant for Robert Downey Jr.’s production company, Team Downey. Hatten has been on an upward Hollywood trajectory since graduating from Loyola Marymount’s School of Film and Television in 2016. He snagged an internship at Team Downey while writing a black comedy script, Maximum King!, in his spare time, and that script led to representation at CAA and ended up on last year’s Black List and Blood List. Hatten was then upped by Downey to writer's assistant, providing script notes and coverage on the company's many projects while tackling what would become Ballerina on nights and weekends.

Ballerina has been described as being in the vein of La Femme Nikita, the 1990 female-centric assassin movie that helped launch the career of filmmaker Luc Besson, but with a more pulpy, hyper-stylized bent a la Quentin Tarantino or Matthew Vaughn.

Details are being kept under the tutu, but the story is known to center on a young woman raised as an assassin who must hunt down the other assassins that murdered her family.

The script hit the studios last week, with Warner Bros. and Universal also vying for it, according to sources. Lionsgate saw in it potential to further grow its Wick franchise (a third movie is now in the works).

Hatten’s Maximum King! is a black comedy that takes a fictional look at how in 1985 Stephen King wrote and directed his horror movie Maximum Overdrive. He is repped by CAA and Lee Stobby Entertainment.

Iwanyk is a producer on The Current War, the upcoming movie starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Michael Shannon that is set to premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival. Also on his résumé is Wind River, the Jeremy Renner thriller that serves as the directorial debut of Hell or High Water writer Taylor Sheridan.

'John Wick' Comic Book Launch Will Reveal Character's Origin
Greg Pak, the man behind the fan favorite 'Planet Hulk' storyline, is writing the new series.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:06 pm

Butcher, you're great and all, but a female-led John Wick spin-off has literally nothing to do with Star Trek Beyond outside of the fact that Spandau Belly once said that the guy who directed Star Trek Beyond and is not directing this should direct something similar to the thing this was spun-off from. The Star Trek Beyond thread is not going to become the 'Ballerina' thread. Don't be afraid to use Random Movie News plz.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:23 pm

bad bot, bad :-P

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:21 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:42 am

Ribbons wrote:Butcher, you're great and all, but a female-led John Wick spin-off has literally nothing to do with Star Trek Beyond outside of the fact that Spandau Belly once said that the guy who directed Star Trek Beyond and is not directing this should direct something similar to the thing this was spun-off from. The Star Trek Beyond thread is not going to become the 'Ballerina' thread. Don't be afraid to use Random Movie News plz.

Ok
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Previous

Return to Movie News