Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Bay, 2014)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Bay, 2014)

Postby max314 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:29 am

Strangely, I couldn't find a single thread dedicated to the upcoming Teenage Michael Bay Turtles.

So here it is, along with the reason for this post – the revelation of Shreddertron:

EMPIRE Article

I think he looks like an anthropomorphic kitchen appliance. Or Edward Shredderhands.
Last edited by max314 on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weapon of MAX Destruction
max314
MONKEY BUTLER

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Bay, 2014)

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:22 am

I was pretty open to this. The initial reveals of the production design were all good. I thought the turtles themselves and Shredder's costume were excellent design work. The trailer just turned me off. It was that same stupid nonsense as that Spiderman reboot with April investigating her father's work at Evil Corp Inc yadda yadda yadda.

Maybe the movie has more fun banter between the turtles, but the trailer was just more of the same overplayed "dark" and "serious" tone they try to dump on everything these days.

I did laugh at the "it's just a mask" line, though. But for now, I'm gonna pass on this.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:30 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:I was pretty open to this. The initial reveals of the production design were all good. The trailer just turned me off. It was that same stupid nonsense as that Spiderman reboot with April investigating her father's work at Evil Corp Inc yadda yadda yadda.

Same. I half-expected William Fichtner to say something about these being the turtles we deserve.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:25 pm

That looks ridiculous.

Ridiculous even for Michael Bay.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:29 pm

New trailer.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:24 pm

Another new trailer. Giving it the benefit of the doubt, I'd say this trailer is 17% less ridiculous than previous promos.

Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Nachokoolaid on Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:31 pm

They sold me. I love what I've seen so far. I loved the Raph doing his Batman voice gag. Even the meta "That's stupid" line from Fox when it was suggested they were aliens (which was no doubt added in after the internet trolls had a field day) made me laugh. This looks and feels like the Ninja Turtles to me, and I'm pretty excited for it.
Nachokoolaid
THE DORK KNIGHT

Postby Spandau Belly on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:00 am

That new trailer is much better. It's more of what I wanted: a fun rapport among the turtles.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:42 am

It also looks like Shredder isn't William Fichtner after all.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:24 pm

Pizza Hut Re-Teams with 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' (Video)
Food chain announces new cross-promotional efforts with the Michael Bay-produced revival, including social media, augmented reality and "hidden menu" components.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:34 pm

Neat! I'm not really into this movie at all, but I do like secret menus.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:20 am

Variety:
Film Review: 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles'
If nothing else, Paramount's attempt at a bigscreen "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" reboot should make for a fascinating case study in the power of fan outrage.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby so sorry on Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:36 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:25 pm

SPOILERS
Collider:
TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES Review
Matt Goldberg wrote:[Note: If you're someone who freaks out because of spoilers, don't read this review because I don't want you whining in the comments section]

I loved Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles when I was a kid. When I was six years old, I watched the animated TV series every day, and had to own every action figure and play set, including the Technodrome. I had a favorite turtle (Raph), but I liked them all because they had distinct personalities, a sense of humor, a well-defined world, and in retrospect, the gleeful insanity we’ve come to expect from kids’ TV shows of the era. Shredder’s boss, Krang, was an alien from another dimension who looked like talking brain inside of a robot’s tummy. Kids went with it.

By comparison, Jonathan Liebesman‘s new live-action adaptation is nothing but apologies and excuses. Loaded down with worthless exposition, coincidences, clichés, ham-fisted product placement, and lame jokes, the movie rarely uses its herpes for anything more than set pieces. The 90s TV series and the new movie are both targeted at kids, but at least the Ninja Turtles of my childhood wasn’t ashamed of its existence.

I do care that the Turtles are background players in their own movie. While I understand that April is the audience surrogate and her cameraman Vern (Will Arnett) is meant to function as comic relief (and yet he doesn’t provide any laughs), people don’t show up to a Turtles movie for the humans. They want the heroes to bounce off each other and have some fun. But they mostly exist as fodder for action scenes and do the bare minimum required to display their characters’ personalities: Leonardo (mo-capped by Pete Ploszek; voiced by Johnny Knoxville) is responsible; Donatello is smart; Michelangelo (Noel Fisher) is a goofball; and Raphael (Alan Ritchson) is a rebel minus the wise-cracks of his previous iteration. The movie does well at selling them as brothers, but with the exception of Michelangelo, it fails at establishing them as individuals.

So Megan & Will are playing Maria Pitillo & Hank Azaria from GODZILLA 1998. Ugh!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:47 pm

Megan Fox & Michael Bay are here to destroy your favorite childhood memories.
ScreenCrush:
The ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ Reboot is Really Just a ‘Transformers’ Remake
Nick Schager wrote:If something seems strangely familiar about the new ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles‘ reboot opening Friday, that’s not too surprising, since Jonathan Liebesman’s film is little more than a thinly veiled remake of the ‘Transformers’ movies. Sure, the nominal source material for this latest Ninja Turtles adventure is Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird’s 1980s comic books, as well as the cartoon series and three live-action films from the early ‘90s, all of which led to a merchandising bonanza built around the characters’ good-natured valor, love of pizza, and fondness for exclamations like “gnarly!”, “radical!” and “cowabunga!”

Yet a closer inspection of Liebesman’s adaptation reveals that, far more than those predecessors, the real inspiration for this wannabe-blockbuster is its producer Michael Bay’s four robot-centric extravaganzas. As proof, here’s a rundown of the many clues that ‘TMNT’ is nothing but ‘Transformers’ in a half shell.

[SPOILERS ahead for 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles'.]
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Bay, 2016)

Postby TheButcher on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:40 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:07 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Bay, 2016)

Postby TheButcher on Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:07 pm

CBM 8/22/2014:
EXCLUSIVE: Film Makers Discuss TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES, Inspiration, Sequels & More!
Jonathan Liebesman: I love the movie so much, even if people don’t want it, I would make a short film sequel on YouTube.
Nathan Best wrote:Nate: At the end of the film; we’ve got Shredder there, he closes his hand and he’s got the ooze. Are we going to learn more about Shredder, his injuries, why he needed a mechanical suit? Perhaps we'll see it in a sequel, or maybe there’s material that didn’t make it into the film that?

Jonathan Liebesman: Oh listen, I’m obsessed with the mythology around the characters. I always want more, so if I’m lucky enough to be a part of any sequel and if anyone is lucky enough to make a sequel, I’m sure we will find that stuff. I love that stuff. So the more back story, mythology, Easter eggs, I think we all love that as fans.

Executive Roundtable: 6 Studio Heads on China Plans, Superhero Overload, WB Layoffs, 'Fast & Furious' Future
Fox's Jim Gianopulos, Paramount's Brad Grey, Disney Studios' Alan Horn, Universal's Donna Langley, IFC Films' Jonathan Sehring and Warner Bros.' Kevin Tsujihara open up to THR about the poor summer at the domestic box office, Time Warner's strategy amid Rupert Murdoch's bid for the company, Marvel's battle with DC, and Netflix
Pamela McClintock & Kim Masters wrote:Donna and Brad, how do you get into this game? Donna has said that Universal's monster movies are not competitive with the superheroes.

LANGLEY To Alan's point, we have to mine our resources. We don't have any capes [in our film library]. But what we do have is an incredible legacy and history with the monster characters. We've tried over the years to make monster movies — unsuccessfully, actually. So, we took a good, hard look at it, and we settled upon an idea, which is to take it out of the horror genre, put it more in the action-adventure genre and make it present day, bringing these incredibly rich and complex characters into present day and reimagine them and reintroduce them to a contemporary audience.

GREY We're in the franchise game — whether it's Transformers or whether it's creating a new franchise with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which has gone beyond our expectations. So, we'll continue to do that, and we'll do it to the point where we're making four or five of those franchises per year.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 2016

Postby TheButcher on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:00 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2(Bay, 2016)

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:54 pm

SUPERMODEL ALESSANDRA AMBROSIO JOINS "TMNT 2" CAST
The Victoria's Secret Angel stars opposite Will Arnett in the currently-filming Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles sequel.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Franchise

Postby TheButcher on Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:40 pm

'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles': Untold Story of the Movie "Every Studio in Hollywood" Rejected
The film, released 25 years ago this week, survived 70-pound costumes, a major studio pulling out at the last moment and rejection at every turn, with most of the industry asking its producers, "Are you guys out of your minds?"
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Franchise

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:03 pm

'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' Filmmakers Claim They’re Owed $3M in Profits Lawsuit
The producers, writers and a director of the 1990s franchise say a rights holder won't pay them according to their contracts.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby papalazeru on Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:28 am

I quite like the look of this. The first one was decidedly mediocre but this looks interesting.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:41 pm

I don't like this incarnation enough to want to pay to see it.

But I'll be sure to download a pirate copy at some point to see Krang and the Technodome.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheButcher on Sun May 01, 2016 7:44 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Movie News