Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:51 pm

Newsarama @ SDCC 2014:
LEGENDARY PICTURES Panel Live! Godzilla 2 Confirmed!
Lucas Siegel wrote:Moderator Jessica Chobot brought out CEO Thomas Tull to the stage, and he introduced a video message of Godzilla director Gareth Edwards "who is locked up in a galaxy far, far away."

"We get to make another one! But first I need a break from the pressure of working on a major franchise, so I'm here in San Francisco doing a little scifi film (a Star Wars one)." Yes, Edwards will be back to direct Godzilla 2, he confirmed.

Next came a bit of teaser footage showing warfare and "A secret remains hidden. There are OTHERS." A flying monster - yup, it's MOTHRA confrimed for the sequel. GHIDORAH confirmed for the sequel. "Conflict inevitable... Let. Them. Fight."

"Now we have more monsters to play with and we're excited about," Tull said, "Thank you Comic-Con, it all started here and we can't wait to show you more."

BleedingCool @ SDCC 2014:
Legendary Announces Godzilla 2, Featuring Mothra, Rhodan, Ghidorah – Gareth Edwards Returns To Direct

THR @ SDCC 2014:
Comic-Con: 'Godzilla 2' Monsters Revealed
Classic monsters Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah are headed to the Legendary sequel.
Aaron Couch wrote:Legendary's Thomas Tull kicked off the studio's Hall H panel with a little taste of the followup to Godzilla.

After introducing a video message from director Gareth Edwards, a teaser featuring stock historical footage and a voiceover from JFK revealed that there are more threats out there. The Comic-Con crowd went wild as three creature names flashed on screen, with grainy, old school footage of the Godzilla classics flashing on screen, along with their names: Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah.

Edwards, who is directing a Star Wars spinoff before tackling Godzilla 2, said in his prerecorded thank you to fans said needed "a break" from a big sci-fi franchize with lots of fanboy scrutiny.

"So I'm up here doing a small sci-fi movie," he joked.
Last edited by TheButcher on Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Godzilla 2! With Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:36 am

Comic-Con Crapfest: Movies
Nikki Finke wrote:LEGENDARY:
Godzilla 2 was officially announced by Thomas Tull who then intro-ed a video message from director Gareth Edwards (also helming a Star Wars spinoff). Fanboys whooped when 3 popular monster names flashed on screen – Rodan, Mothra and Ghidorah – who are joining the franchise. Rights holder Toho Co Ltd gave Legendary the go-ahead for sequels and spinoffs.

Rights holder Toho Co Ltd gave Legendary the go-ahead for sequels and spinoffs.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:04 am

i can't wait to watch a bunch of humans running around, yelling, leaping, and firing guns while rodan and mothra fight each other behind a mountain in the background.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Man In Suit 2! With Mothra, Rodan and King Ghidorah

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:40 pm

Legendary sets up a possible 'Avengers' style crossover for King Kong and Godzilla
Could they stop by 'Jurassic World' on their way to 'Skull Island'?
Moriarty wrote:While I wouldn't exactly call it a shock, it is a thrill to see Legendary come out strong and stake their claim on "Godzilla 2." The real treat of them going back for a second film is going to be seeing how Toho lets them play with the other toys in the toy box.

One of the things that became clear as they showed their "secret" Monarch footage today is that they have big plans for the Godzilla series. Gareth Edwards has a very dry British wit, and that was on full display when he did his taped message for the audience from San Francisco where he's supposedly supervising the rebuilding of the city. He talked about how he needed to take a break from the pressure of working on high-profile properties that fanboys will have opinions about, a lovely nod to his impending "Star Wars" adventure, and then was interrupted by Godzilla, who was on Alcatraz island, unhappy to be caged in by the military.

The introduction of the three new monsters they plan to use in the sequel was pretty great, done through shadows and suggestion, and I'm totally down for a movie with Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah all showing up to rumble. I laughed out loud at the final title card that just read, "Let them fight." I guarantee that whatever movie Gareth makes with these characters next time, it won't just be a repeat of the peekaboo strategy of the first film. I think Edwards is smarter than that, and there's no need to play coy with Godzilla himself.

What I'm most curious about is the other trailer they showed at the end of the Legendary panel, because it feels to me like this is another possible example of the Marvel influence at work. To their credit, Legendary kept this one completely under wraps until now, but I'm not sure I get the point of a stand-alone remake of "King Kong." True, it doesn't look like they're doing a straight remake in the traditional sense, but they revealed the big ape in all his glory at the end of a long tracking push-in through the island, over the wall, past other creatures barely glimpsed. The reaction in the room was, to say the least, confused, and it's more because no one was expecting it than as a real reaction to the idea.

When I called home after the panel to talk to Toshi and Allen, my kids, I knew they'd lose their minds over the idea of which monsters Godzilla's going to get to fight this time. And they did. Or rather, Toshi did. He likes to be the go-between, the one on the phone, conveying the conversation to Allen. To some degree, I agree. Talking to a six year old on a cell phone he's holding is like trying to shave a pilot while he's taking off from the deck of an aircraft carrier. As I listed each one, Toshi would repeat it to his brother, and they'd both give me an "OH MY GOD" or "THAT'S AWESOME." I live off their enthusiasm like I'm a vampire. It's the best thing, and the notion of seeing Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah totally works for them.

Then I told Toshi about the last trailer. I described some of the shots, but I didn't tell him about the reveal, and then I told him the title. "You know who lives on Skull Island, right?"

"King Kong," he replied. "That's preohhhhmygodTHATMEANSHECOULDFIGHTGODZILLA!! DADDYARETHEYGOINGTOHAVEHIMFIGHTGODZILLA!!
ALLEN!ALLEN!KINGKONGISGOINGTOFIGHTGODZILLAAAAAAA!!!!"

And then he got excited about it.

At nine, he immediately got the inherent promise of bookending the Legendary panel with those two films. I'm not pretending I have access to some secret game plan. I'm just saying that when a nine-year-old kid's first thought is that it would be amazing to see the monsters from both ends of the Comic-Con panel come together in what every studio is chasing today, a "shared universe."

When the Monarch "secret footage" played, the title cards were very direct. "There is one secret we were never told. There were others." The implication is that the various governments of the world have conspired, even at the end of a world war, to keep a secret about giant monsters that exist in more than one place.

I had a sneaking suspicion they might announce a subtitle for "Godzilla 2" and that it would be very smart to call it "Monster Island." Well, if they've got another island they can cue up as a possible destination for a third "Godzilla" movie, even better. It certainly looks like they've put themselves in the right position to have a clash of the icons for the first time since the preposterously silly 1962 film.

We'll see when they get moving on all of this, and how much appetite audiences have for giant monsters kicking the crap out of other giant monsters. I just know that in the coveted demographic of "kids who live in my house," this entire plan is a smash hit already.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:11 pm

'Godzilla 2,' 'Skull Island' And The Risk Of Legendary's Monster Mash
Scott Mendelson wrote:Since it was at $498.7 million on Sunday following a robust $6.95m debut in Japan, Godzilla has presumably passed $500m at the worldwide box office. By most standards, the Warner Bros. (a division of Time Warner, Inc.) and Legendary Pictures release is a pretty solid hit. The Gareth Edwards film cost $160m to produce and has now earned 3.125x its budget in theatrical alone. The film earned mostly strong reviews and Mr. Edwards snagged himself a Star Wars picture off of the film’s $196m worldwide debut weekend. But by one very specific standard, one that I was watching all summer, it has fallen short. Gareth Edwards’s Godzilla sold less tickets in America than Roland Emmerich‘s Godzilla. This odd factoid only highlights the odd concept of Legendary Pictures seemingly charting its tent pole future with Universal (Comcast Corporation) with something a reborn monster mash.

I had a piece specifically dealing with the box office performance of the newest Godzilla versus the 1998 version in the back of my head for awhile now, but I was waiting until the new film crossed $500 million worldwide. Said milestone was passed within days of a couple major Comic-Con* announcements, which means I had to do some quick big-picture expansion. Warner Bros. announced that Godzilla 2 was absolutely happening and Gareth Edwards was returning to direct as soon as he was done with his Star Wars spin-off. Then, Legendary and Universal announced a King Kong prequel entitled Skull Island for November 4th, 2016. Couple that with the already announced Pacific Rim 2 and the monster-filled Warcraft adaptation and, as Dorothy Pomerantz noted on Saturday, Legendary is basically establishing itself as a major producer of expensive old-school monster movies. But the monster movies we’ve seen, outside of the somewhat lightning in a bottle Jurassic Park series (Universal is indeed dropping Jurassic World next June), haven’t exactly been “monster” hits.

The biggest such film outside of the first two Jurassic Park films, Peter Jackson’s King Kong, is still (inexplicably) considered a box office bust despite grossing $550 million worldwide on a $207m budget back in 2005. I’ve said for nine years that the film was the victim of insane expectations that compared it to Titanic, but the conventional wisdom is still that the critically-acclaimed remake was a box office under-performer (I just watched it and our rave reviews in 2005 are still accurate). Back in 1998, Godzilla was absolutely expected to rule the summer movie season. But the Roland Emmerich film received horrible reviews and its $44 million Fri-Sun debut (the biggest of the year) and $74m Wed-Mon debut (one of the biggest six-day totals in history at the time) was viewed as an instant disappointment for Sony.

The $130m production ended up with $136m domestic and $379m worldwide, just under 3x its production budget in an era when marketing didn’t necessarily cost as much as the film itself and when DVD was just emerging as a powerful secondary post-theatrical revenue stream. Godzilla 2014 technically made more money, it actually ended up selling less tickets (23 million) than the 1998 version (29 million) in America. Not accounting for any 3D/IMAX bump, Godzilla 1998 grossed $236m domestic when adjusted for 2014 inflation while its worldwide inflation-adjusted total would be around $675m not accounting for 3D or IMAX bumps or even the obvious expansion of overseas markets over the last sixteen years.

Godzilla 1998 was a flop for grossing $379 million worldwide and Godzilla 2014 is a big hit for earning $500m+ in 2014, even though the earlier film sold fewer tickets than the newer film both here and abroad. Now when discussing inflation in situations like this, it is always important to remember that today’s audiences have lots more competition for their entertainment dollars than they did back in 1998. It’s still a telling sign of the shifting expectations and shifting scales of what qualifies as a hit film in this day-and-age as well as the advantage of being perceived as an underdog versus the preordained top dog in a summer box office race.

Also of note is that this new Godzilla was obscenely front-loaded in America, barely earning back double its $93 million opening weekend ($199m and counting). The critics mostly applauded and most hardcore fans approved, but the swiftness of its domestic box office seems to imply that the general audience either care or didn’t care for what they saw. Pacific Rim was more passionately received by geek-centric critics than by general audiences. The film opened with $37m and ended its domestic run with $101m. It is only getting a sequel because it earned $309m overseas, including $111m in China alone. Audiences aren’t exactly loving these mega-budget monster movies. Even if they are willing to try it once (Clash of the Titans with $493m), they aren’t necessarily going twice (Wrath of the Titans with $305m).

Or (speculation alert) maybe Pacific Rim is getting a sequel (and an animated series, natch) as part of Legendary’s overall battle plan, an attempt to create a somewhat unified monster-mash brand with Universal to go along with the studio’s attempt to revive their classic 1930′s horror icons (Dracula, the Mummy, etc.). Universal doesn’t have its own superhero/sci-fi franchise, Fast & Furious may be done after this current installment, and blockbuster fortunes are not made with the likes of The Bourne Legacy.Perhaps, along with cheap comedies and Illusion animated features, Universal wants to be the home of tent pole monster movies, ones that offer the potential for an interconnected universe.

Whether or not all of these disparate properties will eventually form some kind of interconnected universe is a question yet-unanswered (Godzilla is still with Warner Bros. so I wouldn’t expect a Godzilla vs. King Kong anytime soon), there exists the potential for any number of monster mash-ups. We may very well see not just an interconnected universe involving the classic Universal monsters but something akin to a King Kong Comes To Jurassic Park or At the Pacific Rim Of Madness mash-up (“The only thing that can stop Bourne… only hunts on a full moon!”). But the risk is that Legendary is betting its future as a tent pole producer on a genre that hasn’t been all-that-popular with general audiences, at least to the extent that the budgets will arguably demand.

Can Mr. Edwards do that when A) Mr. Edwards’s original was (wrongly) criticized for not having enough monster mayhem and B) Godzilla 2 is set to have three new iconic monsters (Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah) for the title monster to fight? And will Skull Island be considered a big enough hit if it “only” grosses the same $217m domestic/$550m worldwide as Peter Jackson’s wrongly derided King Kong? Can Guillermo del Toro produce a cheaper and more mass audience-pleasing Pacific Rim 2 for April 2017? Legendary and Universal are taking a very real risk in basing their tent pole future in the likes of King Kong.

But with great risk obviously comes the potential for great reward. The modern-day comic book superhero film was arguably on its last legs, fated to begin with Blade and end with Nolan’s Batman trilogy when Marvel Comics jump-started the genre with Iron Man in 2008. If Legendary can either keep the budgets at or below $150 million or deliver giant monster smack downs that play as well with general audiences as the geek-friendly crowds (hint: movie stars), the box office results may be, well, legendary. It will be interesting to watch over the next several years. Now we wait and see who directs Skull Island (Joe Cornish is rumored as of today) and who gets to play Monthra (I, as always, suggest Chiwetel Ejiofor).
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Godzilla 2! With Mothra, Rodan and Ghidorah

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:40 am

ScreenRant July 27th, 2013:
‘Godzilla’ Reboot Director Talks Creature Design; Sequel Ideas Inspired by ‘Destroy All Monsters’
Ben Kendrick wrote:So, what would the director like to do in a potential sequel? A Destroy All Monsters-inspired multi-creature movie certainly sounds cool:

“With the exception of the 1954 original, I would say my second favorite film is Destroy All Monsters. I just love the idea of a monster island. Having a world with these creatures in it. I find that fascinating and would like to treat that realistically. I wouldn’t want to limit it to one other foe, I think it’s more fun to – this question will come back to haunt me if we ever do a sequel – but I think multiple creatures make better movies in terms of the image of Gojira.”

BAD May 02, 2014:
Mothra Could Show Up In GODZILLA 2
Devin Faraci wrote:I asked Tull if we could see Mothra, Baragon, Rodan or any of the other Toho monsters show up in a future Godzilla film. He wouldn't really answer, saying that they have a rule at Legendary that there's no discussion of sequels until the day after the first movie opens. But he would admit: "We're passionate fans of the universe," meaning all the great Toho monsters.

MTV 5/12/2014:
‘Godzilla’ Writer Explains How Sequel’s Mothra Would Be Like The Joker
Max Borenstein explains his prequel graphic novel 'Godzilla: Awakening,' and where the movie's sequel might go.
alex zalben wrote:And what about a certain Easter Egg in the movie? During one scene, briefly glimpsed in the foreground is an empty aquarium with an open chrysalis. A marking on masking tape notes that the occupant of the tank was named Mothra.

“I can’t say the Mothra Easter Egg is an indication of any specific plans for Mothra, though everyone has a fondness – I know I speak for Gareth, and I speak for Legendary – everyone has a great fondness for all the Toho characters,” Borenstein said.

Regardless of what direction the universe goes in, Borenstein does know he wants to keep it in the same world — and though that doesn’t mean a giant moth creature is out of the question, it does mean that it would need to make sense for the continuity set up by the first movie.

“If we’re fortunate enough to make a sequel, then I think the choice of what character that might be, whether it’s a Toho character or a new one, it’s always going to have to be dictated by finding a way in to that character,” Borenstein said, “that feels of a piece with the tone we’re establishing. So you asked earlier if picking a grounded tone is why we didn’t have, Ghidorah or whatever? Not really, because I think there is a way to take any of those characters and put a fresh spin on them that might feel more of a piece tonally with our film than it would with maybe a campier, light-hearted version.”

And where would Borenstein draw inspiration for this? From a surprising source.

“The same way Chris Nolan was so brilliantly able to create a Joker that felt of a piece in his dark and grounded reality,” Borenstein said on where he’d get inspiration for Mothra, or other classic characters, “whereas if you just watched the television series from the ’60s, the Batman shows, you would have said that was impossible. I think it’s possible.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:51 pm

'Godzilla' Sequel to Hit Theaters Summer 2018
Gareth Edwards is returning to direct the follow-up
Pamela McClintock wrote:Godzilla 2 will stomp into theaters on June 8, 2018, Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures announced on Thursday.

This summer, Godzilla amassed a solid $507.7 million at the global box office, successfully launching a franchise based around the iconic monster.

Gareth Edwards is returning to direct the sequel, which won't hit theaters until 2018 because he is first directing a Star Wars spinoff for Disney and Lucasfilm. Gary Whitta (The Book of Eli) is writing the script for the movie, which is set to hit theaters Dec. 16, 2016.

The Star Wars project and Godzilla mark an amazing career trajectory for Edwards, who went from making a small creature feature for $500,000, 2010’s Monsters, to getting the assignment to take on Godzilla.

Godzilla is a passion project for Thomas Tull's Legendary, which was previously set up at Warner Bros. Although Legendary now has a distribution and production deal with Universal, it will continue to partner with Warners on the Godzilla franchise.

Released in May, Godzilla grossed $200.5 million in North America and $307.3 million internationally.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:58 pm

Will Godzilla be part of the DC movie universe?

'Godzilla 2' will stomp into theaters in June 2018
OLIVER GETTELL wrote:Indeed, the announcement follows Warner Bros'. staking its claim to nine dates through 2020 for yet-untitled superhero movies based on DC Comics properties.

Are the DC movies going to be part of the Multiverse?
Earth 42 The DC Cinematic Universe
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:01 am

‘Godzilla’ Sequel To Be Scripted By Max Borenstein
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:EXCLUSIVE:
Legendary Pictures has closed a deal for Max Borenstein to write the screenplay for the sequel to Godzilla, which Gareth Edwards will direct. It is the latest example of how Borenstein is becoming a go-to guy for Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni’s event-film factory. Borenstein wrote the first installment that relaunched the reptile and also penned Skull Island. The latter was teased at Comic-Con and just got Tom Hiddleston starring and Jordan Vogt-Roberts directing. Borenstein also scripted the upcoming Seventh Son for Legendary.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

MAN IN SUIT!!! MAN IN SUIT!!! MAN IN SUIT!!!

Postby TheButcher on Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:04 am

Nacho Vigalondo pitches his “man in suit” kaiju eiga or Godzilla movie
Charles Madison wrote:After presenting his cyber thriller Open Windows at Frightfest today, impressively dextrous and imaginative director Nacho Vigalondo took a few minutes to pitch his surprising, mysterious take on the kaiju eiga genre.

Below you can read exactly what he had to say, direct from my dictaphone. Of course, when he says Godzilla, he’s not referring to that actual, specific character as much as the type, the giant city destroying monster in general. Well, not unless Legendary and Warner Bros. decide to take on hell of a risk on a crazy-sounding side project.
The script I finished and want to get financing for is a twist on the kaiju eiga genre, the Godzilla genre. It’s going to be the cheapest Godzilla movie ever, I promise. It’s going to be a serious Godzilla movie but I’ve got an idea that’s going to make it so cheap that you will feel betrayed. You’re going to be so frustrated by it, it’s not even possible.

The way I wrote the movie – and I don’t want to explain too much – I found a way that is honest and logical to make Godzilla in a costume, destroying cities, models all the time. I wrote the movie in a way that the story has a twist so it makes sense to do Godzilla this way and I’m going to try to be the guy inside the costume because I love filmmaking to the core and I’m a film love, one of dreams is not to direct a Godzilla movie but to be inside the costume and destroy the cities. I want to be the guy in the costume.

Just like Tim Burton, in fact, who always said that about Godzilla too. And I’d be very surprised if the idea hasn’t passed through Guillermo Del Toro’s mind from time to time.

Look for our review of Open Windows in the coming days. Vigalondo also has a section in VHS Viral, premiering at Frightfest tomorrow night.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:57 am

Hard-Boiled Kaijuland
"Goji-Kon" -- a Toho Strategic Assembly
Jim Pluff wrote:I’m feeling too lazy to work on translating much of this, but the gist is that Toho is meeting to consider what to do with Godzilla from the 61st anniversary onward, considering new projects and concepts.

The author notes that, while there are many fans who would like another Japanese Godzilla film (and a new generation of fans becoming charmed by Godzilla once more), that would be a tough sell alongside the Hollywood version, which was a worldwide hit. Still, it’s entirely possible Toho will have something in the works—whatever that something may be.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:47 pm

GODZILLA 2: Expect a “Bigger” and “Better” Sequel from Screenwriter Max Borenstein
DAVE TRUMBORE wrote:Collider: Will being an executive producer/writer on Minority Report preclude you from being able to write Godzilla 2?

MAX BORENSTEIN:
No, I’m doing it. I’m writing it now, and it’s really going to be great. I don’t want to go off book and tell you anything that I’m not allowed to tell you. The response to the first film was really exciting, but now that that world is established, we can do bigger and even better things. We’re really stoked.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 13, 2016 2:58 pm

'Rogue One' Director Gareth Edwards Exits 'Godzilla 2'
Borys Kit wrote:Director Gareth Edwards has parted ways with Godzilla 2.

Edwards, who directed Legendary and Warner Bros.’s 2014 monster movie, was slated to return for the sequel after he wrapped work on Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, which opens December 2016.

But the filmmaker, who broke through with the low-budget 2010 movie Monsters, has left the project. Godzilla 2 is a priority for the company, which is staking out a cinematic monster universe featuring creatures such as Godzilla and King Kong, and which has a March 22, 2019 release date.

Reasons for the departure remain hazy. Some say Edwards wants a break from back-to-back big budget tentpoles while other sources tell THR that the filmmaker was feeling rushed to meet a timeline.

Legendary and Warners are now on the hunt for new filmmaker.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 14, 2016 11:37 pm

/film:
‘Godzilla 2’ Delayed, ‘Godzilla vs. King Kong’ Dated, and More Warner Bros. Release Date Shuffling
Jacob Hall wrote:The obvious takeaway from this is that Warner Bros. and Legendary are getting serious about their plan to build a an entire cinematic universe for these iconic beasts…

/film:
‘Godzilla 2’ Loses Director Gareth Edwards
Angie Han wrote:According to Deadline, who broke the news, the split was an “amicable” one, and in fact had already been confirmed behind the scenes before the 2019 release date was announced earlier this week.

ScreenRant:
Godzilla 2: Director Gareth Edwards Drops Out
Sandy Schaefer wrote:Godzilla screenwriter Max Borenstein (who also co-penned Skull Island) wrote the current Godzilla 2 script draft, though it remains to be seen if another writer is recruited to revise the screenplay once a new director is hired for the sequel. WB and Legendary Pictures are approaching the Kong/Godzilla series as (essentially) a shared universe, so it stands to reason that Borenstein has been including connections between the Kong and Godzilla movies with his own script drafts. A different writer may be hired to better shape Godzilla 2‘s narrative to fit its new director’s vision, but the movie will still build up to Godzilla vs. Kong – possibly by introducing a giant monster-populated island (a la Destroy All Monsters), as Borenstein and Edwards had originally intended to do in the Godzilla followup.

It remains to be seen how different Godzilla 2 feels compared to its predecessor, which had more of a traditional Godzilla movie structure (read: two narrative acts of steady build-up that pay-off with a monster brawl in the third act). Edwards’ 2014 reboot is something of a polarizing installment in the larger Godzilla franchise for that reason; some longtime fans appreciated his Jaws-inspired approach to unveiling the King of Monsters in full, while others just felt it tediously substituted giant monster spectacle for flat human drama. Whether or not the sequel will change things up for that reason, though, is another matter.

Regardless of who signs on now, Godzilla is now yet another Legendary-backed creature franchise that has gone through a director switch between installments, following after Pacific Rim 2 (now being directed by Steven DeKnight) and Jurassic World 2 (which has Juan Antonio Bayona calling the shots).
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: God2illa!

Postby TheButcher on Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:43 am

Michael Dougherty and Zach Shields to Write ‘Godzilla 2’ for Legendary (EXCLUSIVE)
Alex Garcia will oversee the project for Legendary.
Justin Kroll wrote:As Legendary expands its “Godzilla” and “King Kong” universe, the banner looks to have found a friendly face to steer the ship for the sequel to 2014’s “Godzilla.”

Sources tell Variety that Michael Dougherty and Zach Shields, who wrote “Krampus” for Legendary, are on board to pen the script for the next installment in the “Godzilla” franchise.

Sources have also indicated Legendary might be preparing to set up a writers room to help create the upcoming Godzilla-King Kong universe the company has planned since sending the distribution rights for “Kong: Skull Island” back to Warner Bros. after originally setting pic up at Universal.

In October 2015, Legendary and Warner Bros. made a joint announcement that all future “King Kong” and “Godzilla” films would be developed by Legendary and distributed by Warner Bros. starting with “Kong: Skull Island” next March. Legendary currently holds a distribution deal with Universal but in order to re-team “Godzilla” and “King Kong,” Legendary decided to send the rights back over to Warner Bros. in order to create this new “ecosystem” of giant super-species, both classic and new, as described in its original joint statement.

As of now, it looks as if Dougherty and Shields will just pen the script “Godzilla 2,” but this draft could be the starting point for a possible writers room.

“Godzilla 2” is currently dated for Mar. 22, 2019 with “Godzilla vs. Kong” movie for May 29, 2020.

Dougherty has strong ties to Legendary, having written and directed “Trick ‘r Treat”, one of Legendary’s first productions that has become a cult hit and horror perennial. He then teamed with Shields on the recent Christmas horror pic “Krampus,” which Dougherty directed and co-wrote with Shields.

Dougherty also co-wrote “X2” and “Superman Returns.”

Dougherty is repped by WME and Circle Confusion and Shields is repped by WME and LBI Entertainment.

From Variety MARCH 26, 2008:
Michael Dougherty's “Calling All Robots”
Marc Graser wrote:Details of the project are being kept under wraps, but it uses performance capture to "tell a story that's a throwback to old Godzilla movies," Dougherty said. "I grew up watching Godzilla movies. This film is very much rooted in those movies."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Godzilla 2! Now w/ 100% less Gareth Edwards

Postby TheButcher on Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:03 am

Exclusive: ‘Godzilla 2’ May Be Helmed by ‘Krampus’ Director Michael Dougherty

Britt Hayes wrote:Just yesterday it was announced that Krampus director Michael Dougherty and co-writer Zach Shields are re-teaming with Legendary Pictures to pen the screenplay for Godzilla 2, the follow-up to Gareth Edwards’ blockbuster monster flick. We’ve known for some time that Edwards isn’t returning to helm the sequel, and with the Rogue One director out of the picture, we’ve been curious to see who might take his place. As it turns out, Dougherty isn’t just writing Godzilla 2 — he’s also directing it.

Update: Another source has reached out to let us know that Dougherty is in talks to helm Godzilla 2. No deal has officially been made as of yet, and will depend on Legendary’s approval of the screenplay.

Sources close to production have revealed that Dougherty is likely directing Godzilla 2, which will lead up to the previously reported King Kong and Godzilla crossover film. Kong: Skull Island hits theaters next March, followed by the Godzilla sequel in 2019 and Godzilla vs. Kong in 2020. Execs at Legendary are said to be quite fond of the Krampus director, who also helmed the 2007 cult horror favorite Trick ’r Treat and worked on screenplays for Bryan Singer’s Superman Returns and X2.

We were unable to confirm if Dougherty and Shields will use any of Gareth Edwards’ original ideas for Godzilla 2, which would have featured Mechagodzilla — a monster that first appeared in the 1974 film Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. Initially introduced as an extraterrestrial foe, Mechagodzilla was later depicted as a weapon created by man to defend Japan from the legendary lizard.

As Variety noted in their own report, Dougherty and Shields might also be the first step toward Legendary’s creation of a new writers room to handle their shared monster universe — a scenario that’s not unlikely given that similar teams have been established for the Transformers franchise and Universal’s own upcoming monster movie universe.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Godzilla: King of Monsters

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:33 pm

‘Godzilla 2’ and ‘Pacific Rim 2’ Get New Titles
NICK ROMANO wrote:
Legendary announced Herbert W. Gaines as the new EVP of Physical Production, as well as a few other new hires. The release accompanying the news stated, “Gains’ responsibilities will include overseeing production of Legendary’s feature film slate including such highly anticipated projects as Pacific Rim: Uprising, Pokemon’s Detective Pikachu, and Godzilla: King of Monsters.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: God2illa: King of Monsters

Postby TheButcher on Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:44 pm

Variety:
‘Godzilla 2’ Finds Director in Michael Dougherty
Justin Kroll wrote:After first being hired to run the “Godzilla” universe writing room, “Krampus” director Michael Dougherty has now been tapped to direct the next installment in the monster movie franchise as well.

When news first broke that Dougherty and his “Krampus” co-writer Zach Shields would be penning the sequel, reports surfaced that Dougherty would also helm the pic, but insiders said then that the deal was only to write the sequel, not direct. After months of work in the writers room, Legendary eventually extended an offer for him to direct as well.

Alex Garcia will oversee the project for Legendary.

In October 2015, Legendary and Warner Bros. made a joint announcement that all future “King Kong” and “Godzilla” films would be developed by Legendary and distributed by Warner Bros., starting with “Kong: Skull Island” in March. Legendary currently holds a distribution deal with Universal, but in order to re-team Godzilla and King Kong, Legendary decided to send the rights back over to Warner Bros. to be able to create this new “ecosystem” of giant super-species, both classic and new.

“Godzilla 2” is currently dated for Mar. 22, 2019, with “Godzilla vs. Kong” set for May 29, 2020.

Dougherty has strong ties to Legendary, having written and directed “Trick ‘r Treat,” one of Legendary’s first productions, which has become a cult hit. He then teamed with Shields on the recent Christmas horror pic “Krampus.”

Dougherty, who’s repped by WME and Circle Confusion, also co-wrote “X2” and “Superman Returns.”

THR:
'Stranger Things' Breakout Millie Bobby Brown Set to Star in 'Godzilla' Sequel (Exclusive)
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Godzilla 2: King of the Monsters

Postby TheButcher on Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:44 am

Scified:
Mike Dougherty Confirms the Title is Godzilla: King of "THE" Monsters
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Frankenstein 2: King of the Monsters

Postby TheButcher on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:56 am

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:04 am

Zhang Ziyi Joins Kyle Chandler in 'Godzilla: King of the Monsters'
The actress will also play a role in Legendary and Warner Bros.' burgeoning MonsterVerse.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

The Movie Trailers 'Я' Us Thread

Postby Fievel on Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:56 pm

Godzilla: King of Monsters

The music....the monsters.... fucking perfect trailer.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Re: The Movie Trailers 'Я' Us Thread

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:19 pm

Fievel wrote:Godzilla: King of Monsters

Evil Vera Farmiga? Mothra? Roh-Dan? Godzilla singing classical music? CHARLES FUCKING DANCE?

I'm in.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby so sorry on Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:40 pm

caruso_stalker217 wrote:

Evil Vera Farmiga? Mothra? Roh-Dan? Godzilla singing classical music? CHARLES FUCKING DANCE?

I'm in.

What exactly was the plot here? Humans are the virus, so giant ancient monsters are the cure?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:26 pm

so sorry wrote:What exactly was the plot here? Humans are the virus, so giant ancient monsters are the cure?

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:12 pm

so sorry wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:

I'm in.

What exactly was the plot here? Humans are the virus, so giant ancient monsters are the cure?

Plot?
In a Godzilla movie?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:33 am

I'm iffy on the superhero trailers WB released this week, but this? This looks goddamn amazing. I never in a million years thought I would be looking forward to a Godzilla sequel directed by the Krampus guy, but here we are. If nothing else I hope the ironic use of "Clair de Lune" replaces the Inception bwoooom as the trailer cliche du jour.

Also: long live Chubby Godzilla
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:01 pm

so sorry wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:

I'm in.

Very Farmiga is the scientist who has GONE TO FAR.

That is all you need, really. Along with Ken Watanabe getting a fucking murder boner over the prospect of big monster fights.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Ribbons on Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:06 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
so sorry wrote:What exactly was the plot here? Humans are the virus, so giant ancient monsters are the cure?

That is all you need, really. Along with Ken Watanabe getting a fucking murder boner over the prospect of big monster fights.

I'm on board. Conceptually, it seems like a nice blend of the ham-fisted environmentalism of the two American Godzillas and the cultlike worship of lizard gods (and occasional moth gods, dog gods, and lizard god robots) from the earlier Toho films.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:16 am

Ribbons wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:

I'm on board. Conceptually, it seems like a nice blend of the ham-fisted environmentalism of the two American Godzillas and the cultlike worship of lizard gods (and occasional moth gods, dog gods, and lizard god robots) from the earlier Toho films.

This feels like one of those movies that will be more enjoyable on the big screen vs. home viewing.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Wolfpack on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:52 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
so sorry wrote:
caruso_stalker217 wrote:

I'm in.

He Has Tampered In God's Domain
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Return to Movie News