YET ANOTHER STAR WARS THREAD (Now with SOLO)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: Donglover (Now w/ 100% More Clint)

Postby TheButcher on Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:45 am

THR August 01, 2017:
Ron Howard Reassures Fans the Han Solo Film Is "Coming Along Great"
The director says he is having fun with those social media teases, but is being very careful not to let any spoilers slip past.

Clint Howard Will Appear in the Han Solo Movie
"You won't be disappointed," brother Ron Howard tweeted after a fan advocated for a part for Clint.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: YET ANOTHER STAR WARS THREAD (Now w/ Donglover)

Postby so sorry on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:36 pm

Looks pretty good.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: YET ANOTHER STAR WARS THREAD (Now with SOLO)

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:22 pm

i dunno. this still feels like a bad idea. how much i enjoy the film is ultimately going to depend on how much i can let go of "harrison ford" han solo and accept a different version of the character.
but at least it looks like he's not just doing a harrison ford impression, so it's more in line with chris pine's kirk, an alternate reality version of a character so closely associated with the original performer. that's the only way something like this can work. i just hope the quality is of a higher order than the ST reboots.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: YET ANOTHER STAR WARS THREAD (Now w/ Donglover)

Postby Peven on Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:05 pm

so sorry wrote:

Looks pretty good.

I agree. great casting, and casting is 90% of directing.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Al Shut on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:32 am

Since looking things up on the internet is cheating but asking people is fine

When is Memorial Day?
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Fievel on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:18 am

Al Shut wrote:Since looking things up on the internet is cheating but asking people is fine

When is Memorial Day?

The last Monday in May.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:23 pm

Wait a minute, this is out in less than four months??

Alden Dudemeister was charming and charismatic in HAIL CAESAR! and he appears comparably charming and charismatic here.

The behind-the-scenes fuckery might sink this endeavor, but there was a lot of reshoots and whatnot for ROGUE ONE and I ended up loving that film.

This looks like it could be fun, I guess.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Peven on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:54 pm

even though I know that trailers can be cut to look better than the movie itself I REALLY like that trailer, make sure to check out the full length one, and I have faith in the casting, I'm thinikng that Glover is going to absolutely kill it as Lando and this is going to be Alden Ehrenreich's real breakout out role.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:10 am

My thoughts:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:21 am

Ribbons wrote:My thoughts:

Stupid geek americans.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:55 pm

fucking hipsters. why cant they just all just OD on redbull and smugness already? and Jesus Christ, hygiene guys, there isn't a shower between the three of your doughy pathetic asses :-P :twisted:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:47 pm

Ribbons wrote:My thoughts:

Those lovable hack frauds.

VERY cool.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:39 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:08 pm

i saw that story a while back and it seems pretty obvious that Disney ripped off that artist's work. as big as Disney is and with all their resources it should be easy for them to give credit where it is due and pay for it, too.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:02 am

Yeah; it took me a while to find a side-by-side comparison, and there's no question that whoever created these posters ripped off the original work. The only question is whether Disney does the right thing and both acknowledges and compensates the artist here (his name is Hachim Bahous, by the way). Their official stance was "a third party created these posters and we're looking into it." Well Disney, whether you didn't knowingly participate in plagiarizing someone else's work, you're now profiting from it. So be a mensch and give credit where it's due.

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:06 am

i'd be much more excited about this film if the characters looked and dressed like the people in the original posters. c'mon now, SOUL GUY's threads are totally the way to go for young Lando.

although, on second look, he's not too far off ELECTRONIC FUNK GUY. and Han Solo himself is pretty close to FUNK GUY. holy hell.... they ripped off the costume design from these posters too!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:19 pm

Couldn't give a fuck about this film one way or the other to be pissing about with petty crap like this.

Get a life people. Star Wars is over.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:53 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:Couldn't give a fuck about this film one way or the other to be pissing about with petty crap like this.

Get a life people. Star Wars is over.

TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:47 pm

In case you missed it, new trailer:

I'm pretty jazzed for this one.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:53 pm

same here. I think it is going to be a Guardians of the Galaxy type Star Wars movie. assorted, eccentric team of scoundrels and a mix of wowzers action with some heavy emotional beats and jokey beats intertwined. Chewy is like Groot, only he'll live.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:22 am

I'm pleasantly intrigued by everything.....except Han and Lando. I've been against this film since it was announced but have been hoping to be drawn in. I am, but not for the leads. I like Glover a lot....just not as Lando. I haven't seen anything with Ehrenreich yet, but his voice.... It's such a higher pitch than Ford's that it's distracting to me towards the character. He sounds like a high school student compared to Ford. I'm hoping everything in context works. Everything else looks really cool.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:06 am

I love both guys in their roles and i think this movie could very well be the big breakout for both of their onscreen careers.

the only thing Glover needs to be an even better embodiment of young Billy Dee Williams is to be holding a 40oz can of Colt 45

men's voices get lower as they get older.

I don't think we've been shown any good shots of Han during the 3rd act, and I think this being an origin story where the protagonist comes of age and into his own through the events that transpire during the course of the movie I expect that he will come across closer as the Han with pitina we know by the end credits.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:32 am

there aren't too many actors out there of the right age to play young Han Solo that have that low, gravelly Harrison Ford voice. and even if there were, they might not be right for the role for other reasons. i think it was the right decision to not try to cast the part solely or primarily on physical (and sonic) resemblance to Ford. no matter what, it is going to be a distraction for some people (including myself) to see this character played by someone other than Ford. but i think it would be even more distracting if the role was played by someone trying too hard to imitate Ford's voice and mannerisms. some deviation from the original portrayal allows you to hopefully, at some point, disconnect the character from the original actor and accept it as a different version. for some people that won't be possible, and wouldn't be no matter who they cast, but that's the danger of trying to recast such an iconic role that is so heavily associated with a particular actor. it's why i'm still not sure this film is a good idea at all. and i won't know if i'm capable of making that leap myself until i inevitably see the film for myself. but at least by avoiding an impersonation of Ford, there might be a chance i can.

as for Eherenreich himself, based on what we've seen so far, i can't tell whether his version of the character will work or not. i'll reserve judgment on that until i see the film. i'm glad he's not just impersonating Ford. and i'm glad he doesn't seem to be taking a slapsticky, Chris Pratt type approach to the role. Pratt is fine in GotG, but he comes off a little too nice and goofy for Han, who has more of an edge, and i'm glad they skipped on casting Pratt, who would have been the easy, lazy choice. Ehrenreich has less baggage and that also contributes hopefully to him being able to disappear into the role.

i'm all in on Donald Glover for Lando. Lando is not nearly as iconic as Han. i think Glover has everything it takes to command that role, and even surpass BDW's version from the OT, since presumably his role in this film will have some more meat to it. Lando was a supporting cast member in TESB/ROTJ, and this film gives them a chance to expand that character into something more central to the story. frankly, i think i would've preferred a Lando-centric film. but then, who would they have gotten to play his father, Grando?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fievel on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:27 pm

TheBaxter wrote:but then, who would they have gotten to play his father, Grando?

Harry.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:01 pm

Fievel wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:but then, who would they have gotten to play his father, Grando?

Harry.

but then Ron Howard would have had to reshoot all his scenes with Christopher Plummer.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Previous

Return to Movie News