YET ANOTHER STAR WARS THREAD (Now w/ Donglover)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Re: YET ANOTHER STAR WARS THREAD (Now w/ Donglover)

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:05 am

STar Wars June 20, 2017:
A MESSAGE FROM LUCASFILM REGARDING THE UNTITLED HAN SOLO FILM

The untitled Han Solo film will move forward with a directorial change.

“Phil Lord and Christopher Miller are talented filmmakers who have assembled an incredible cast and crew, but it’s become clear that we had different creative visions on this film, and we’ve decided to part ways. A new director will be announced soon,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm.

“Unfortunately, our vision and process weren’t aligned with our partners on this project. We normally aren’t fans of the phrase ‘creative differences’ but for once this cliché is true. We are really proud of the amazing and world-class work of our cast and crew,” stated Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.

The untitled Han Solo film remains scheduled for a May 2018 release.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:12 am

'Star Wars': Why the Han Solo Film Directors Were Fired
Ron Howard and Joe Johnston are possible contenders to replace Phil Lord and Christopher Miller.
Borys Kit wrote:Creative differences is a term that is often used loosely when a director is fired from a Hollywood movie.

But it actually appears to ring true in case of Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, who have been let go by Lucasfilm chief Kathleen Kennedy from directing the ‪Star Wars spinoff that centers on the fan-favorite character Han Solo.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the style and vision of Lord and Miller clashed with that of Lawrence Kasdan, the legendary screenwriter behind the classics Empire Strikes Back and ‪Raiders of the Lost Ark, who also wrote, with his son, Jon Kasdan, the script for the Han Solo stand-alone set (for now) to be released in 2018.

Lord and Miller (21 Jump Street, The Lego Movie) have a comedic sensibility and improvisational style while Kasdan favors a strict adherence to the written word — what is on the page is what must be shot.

The creative clash, according to one insider, also came down to differences in understanding the character of Han Solo. “People need to understand that Han Solo is not a comedic personality. He’s sarcastic and selfish,” said that source.

The friction was felt almost immediately when the movie began shooting in February, sources say, but the directors always thought it could be worked through. Kennedy, the producer and head of Lucasfilm, decided to back her lifelong colleague, who shaped much of Solo’s character in Empire and ‪Return of the Jedi and who had a specific tone in mind for the new movie. The duo also didn’t feel they had the support of producer Allison Shearmur, who was acting as Lucasfilm’s representative on the London set.

Lord and Miller, who had relocated to London with their families for preproduction and production of the movie, were said to have been blindsided by the firing, which they learned about Monday, according to one source, although another disputed that account.

The production had gone on a short hiatus to review what had been shot and to clear the air.

"Unfortunately, our vision and process weren’t aligned with our partners on this project. We normally aren’t fans of the phrase 'creative differences' but for once this cliché is true. We are really proud of the amazing and world-class work of our cast and crew," Lord and Miller said in a statement released Tuesday.

Lucasfilm and owner Disney have already targeted their replacement, although the companies are keeping mum.

Ron Howard is one of the names that has emerged, according to sources. Joe Johnston, who directed The Rocketeer and Jumanji, has been mentioned as another possible candidate. Others suggest that Kasdan, who has directed movies like ‪The Big Chill and Silverado, could step in as he is already in prime position to know what needs to be fixed. That move could be complicated by DGA rules preventing someone already working on a film taking over for a director that is being replaced except for a short-term emergency.

It is expected that a new director will take the next several weeks, with the production shut down, to go over what Lord and Miller have shot, re-edit what they’ve filmed “and go from there,” according to one source.

According to some observers, Lucasfilm should have known going in that a clash of tones could occur given Lord and Miller's previous work. But this is not the first time that Disney and Lucasfilm have had to take drastic turns on Star Wars movies. Last summer, the companies sidelined Gareth Edwards by bringing in Tony Gilroy to rewrite and direct substantial reshoots of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, a move that happened only five to six months before the movie was released. Rogue One proved to be a massive hit, both financially and critically.

The studio now is more than willing to flex its muscle, and spend chunks of money, to protect the Star Wars brand and to ensure that it is not tarnished by a movie that doesn't deliver what fans want.

Lord and Miller's next move is not immediately clear, but already rumors are circulating that the pair could return to The Flash, Warners' movie about the DC Comics hero to which they had been attached to helm several years ago. The project is currently on the hunt for a director.

THR MAY 01, 2015:
Inside a 'Star Wars' Firing: 'Fantastic Four' Problems Led to Director Josh Trank's Ouster
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:13 am

this kind of news is so fucking irritating, as well as disappointing, because it shows how unprofessional the supposed professionals in the industry really are. I would bet that a lot of people would have thought to sit down with the directors before they started production of a major motion picture to go over the script and storyboards and shooting locations, etc, etc, to make sure they were on the same page as the studio in regard to what movie was being made, the one paying the bills. but this big time studio exec didn't realize that the guys she hired to make a movie weren't making the movie she wanted until halfway or more through shooting? :roll: to be this far into production and now change course because of "creative differences" is inexcusable and shows poor decision-making on the studio side going back to the decision to hire cheese comedy directors to make a real SW movie in the first place.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:01 am

if this leads to a non-jokey, non-punchliney Han Solo movie, then i support this move.
if this leads to a Ron Howard-directed Han Solo movie, i do not support this move.

my expectations for a standalone Han Solo prequel movie are pretty low to begin with, so more than anything, i'm filled with an overwhelming sense of meh.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:51 pm

if Ron Howard is brought in then it will be a shit Han Solo movie. Edgar Wright, now THAT is who I would like to see direct a Han Solo movie

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:57 pm

Just let it die.

If these side stories contained no major Star Wars characters, or used them like Rogue One did, I'd be happy.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:29 pm

i would rather have studios have the balls and skill to bring other SF realms to the big screen instead of looking to endlessly mine a few properties like SW and ST over and over and over and over again. problem is those kind of movies take a lot of movie to make, and the viewing public is fickle, to put it mildly. a studio can make a quality SF movie that is groundbreaking, intelligent, and well-acted and still lose money because the masses aren't familiar with the property and won't flood the theatres opening weekend to see it. Can you imagine how big of a flop "2001" would be considered today? for example, one of my favorite authors who writes SF, C.J. Cherryh, has written various series that could be realized on screen as epic space franchises with fully realized sentient races and compacts of interstellar civilizations, great plotlines and characters and themes. i have never seen even one mention of any of her work being considered to be adapted for the big screen. I'm sure there are various other writers with bodies of work that would be fertile territory for new franchises but they don't have the brand recognition that studios want to help ensure they get a return for their investment.

so, shit, i would prefer to see SW shelved altogether and the resources being poured into it redirected to new projects adapting works from authors who's voices and visions we have not seen before.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:12 pm

The Millennium Falcon has a new pilot.
Ron Howard Steps in to Direct Han Solo Movie (Exclusive)

'Star Wars' Finally Gets a Ron Howard Movie — Should Fans Cheer?
The director, who once was offered 'Phantom Menace,' will be taking over the Han Solo movie from ousted filmmakers Phil Lord and Chris Miller.

Ron Howard to Take Over as Director of ‘Star Wars’ Han Solo Spinoff
Howard will begin work immediately.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:34 pm

The good news is that Ron Howard is now also going to narrate the movie.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:53 pm

i'd like to think maybe we'd get "Apollo 13" Ron Howard, but more than likely we'll get "Da Vinci Code" Ron Howard, which means the blandest, most generic version of a SW movie you could imagine.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:54 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i'd like to think maybe we'd get "Apollo 13" Ron Howard, but more than likely we'll get "Da Vinci Code" Ron Howard, which means the blandest, most generic version of a SW movie you could imagine.

Setting aside the three Dan Brown movies, I wouldn't exactly call his filmography bland. It's not always good, but it's not especially generic.

That said, I'm not entirely sure he's the best choice to direct this. But I expect, other than starting from stratch, they were a bit short on options.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Peven on Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:01 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:i'd like to think maybe we'd get "Apollo 13" Ron Howard, but more than likely we'll get "Da Vinci Code" Ron Howard, which means the blandest, most generic version of a SW movie you could imagine.

Setting aside the three Dan Brown movies, I wouldn't exactly call his filmography bland. It's not always good, but it's not especially generic.
That said, I'm not entirely sure he's the best choice to direct this. But I expect, other than starting from stratch, they were a bit short on options.

he made a bland Alamo movie for gods' sake. his style IS bland. he makes very good made for tv movies that get released in theatres.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:29 pm

Peven wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

he made a bland Alamo movie for gods' sake. his style IS bland. he makes very good made for tv movies that get released in theatres.

You're basing your opinion of Ron Howard's direction on a movie he didn't direct?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:09 pm

well, Howard's filmography is all over the place. he's had highs (Apollo 13, Cinderella Man) and lows (Da Vinci Code, How the Grinch Stole Xmas) and everything in between. i picked out Apollo 13 and Da Vinci Code because they are probably the closest to a SW-type film in his portfolio. somehow, he managed to take probably the single most film-ready novel in the past 40 years and turn it into a dull, boring slog. DVC is hardly great literature, but it's the very definition of a page-turner, and the kind of book you could probably make a movie out of directly off the page, without even adapting a screenplay. and somehow he fucked it up.

besides that, he has no discernible personal style to his filmmaking. can anyone describe anything that defines a Ron Howard film? his style, to the extent there is one, is workmanlike and generic. i don't think we necessarily need Tarantino's Han Solo or Scorsese's Han Solo, or even JJ Abrams' Han Solo or Zack Snyder's Han Solo. but a little bit of style would be nice. Howard is like a poor man's Spielberg, his work jumps around among a bunch of different subjects and genres, but he doesn't bring nearly the level of talent or style to those different kinds of films that Spielberg usually does. but maybe it's that workmanlike, non-identifiable style that made them think he'd be a good choice to take over a movie that's already 75% filmed.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:32 am

TheBaxter wrote:well, Howard's filmography is all over the place. he's had highs (Apollo 13, Cinderella Man) and lows (Da Vinci Code, How the Grinch Stole Xmas) and everything in between.

So you could at least argue that the glass is half fulll instead of half empty. It's not like they hired Uwe Boll.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Peven on Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:55 am

Fried Gold wrote:
Peven wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

You're basing your opinion of Ron Howard's direction on a movie he didn't direct?

dammit, I remember him directing it, and I believe he was supposed to at one point, but he was the producer, and it was bland. :D

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:54 am

THR OCTOBER 24, 2013:
Writer Michael Arndt Exits 'Star Wars: Episode VII'

Should There Be Such a Rush to Make 'Star Wars' Films?
With the director shuffle on Lucasfilm's Han Solo movie, perhaps it's time to slow things down.

Ron Howard Says Han Solo Film Was "a Little Opportunity That Came My Way"
Rhonda Richford wrote:A day after being named the new director of Disney and Lucasfilm's untitled Han Solo movie, Ron Howard took to the stage at Cannes Lions on Friday and briefly discussed the opportunity to contribute to the Star Wars universe.

Interviewed on stage by Martin Sorrell, the founder and CEO of British ad company WPP, he called the film "a little opportunity that came my way."

The Oscar winner replaced Lego Movie and 21 Jump Street directors Phil Lord and Christoper Miller, who parted ways with the studio Tuesday citing "creative differences."

Howard later also said about Star Wars that "I've been a fan forever," adding: "It's gratifying to lend my voice to the Star Wars universe now."

The director also told the audience: "I've been around the Star Wars universe from the beginning," and explained George Lucas was conceiving the story while they were working on American Graffiti. When Lucas first told him the idea, he said he thought it sounded "crazy."

Howard recalled that when he first saw Star Wars, he waited in line with his wife for two hours. "We left almost speechless, and I said, 'Do you want to see it again?'" he said. "And we got in line and waited another 90 minutes to see it twice the same day."

Howard on Friday also discussed the Trump presidency and how it will one day portrayed on the screen, joking: "I'm looking forward to the day that ... this presidency is dramatized years from now that it's a hysterical musical comedy on Broadway called Trumped."

Asked what's left to do for him, he said he'd love to do a Broadway musical and mentioned his team was working on an adaption of Nightshift and talking about possibly adapting Parenthood as well.

Discussing the project that he is most proud of, Howard mentioned Apollo 13.

Regarding the competition between Netflix, Amazon and others, Howard said: "I don't think there's going to be a winner. There may be a dominant platform, and I don't think it's going to be big screen movies."

He also said about streaming video services: "It's an exciting time you can tell more stories to niche audiences creatively, it's liberating."

Emilia Clarke, Woody Harrelson and Donald Glover will star in the Han Solo spin-off. Shooting is set to resume July 10.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:11 pm

As vanilla as Ron Howard is, at least he's more competent than say a Joe Johnston.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:40 pm

Alden Shot First: New Rumors Reveal Behind-The-Scenes Han Solo Drama That Led To A New Director
Alden Ehrenreich Had A Bad Feeling About This

Bacon, Tom Bacon wrote:Just two days ago, Star Wars fans were shaken to learn that directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller were parting ways with Lucasfilm. With production on the still-as-yet-untitled #HanSolo spinoff almost complete, the much-loved duo were flying off into the sunset. We've since learned that Ron Howard (A Beautiful Mind, Apollo 13) is taking over.

Something's clearly gone badly wrong in the house that George built, and the internet's been buzzing with fury and panic — after all, Lord and Miller earned a lot of love from fans with films like The Lego Movie and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. As the days go on, though, Lucasfilm insiders are quietly admitting that the project was a lot more troubled than we'd ever realized.

StarWarsNewsNet, one of the biggest Star Wars fan-sites out there, has gradually managed to piece together some remarkable details, including the surprising role Alden Ehrenreich (the new Han Solo) played in the behind-the-scenes drama.

A skilled actor who made his movie debut with 2009's Tetro, Ehrenreich is an up-and-coming talent who's managed to snag one of the most exciting roles of all. He was actually the first to audition for the part of young Han Solo, and ran through six months' worth of auditions before finally being cast. His performance has been described as fresh and original, while still honoring the essentials of the character.

By all accounts, nobody at Lucasfilm has any doubt that he's the perfect man to bring the young Han Solo to life, and there have even apparently been rumblings that Lucasfilm may plan a Han Solo sequel in which Ehrenreich reprises the role.

Here's the catch, though. According to StarWarsNewsNet, as production went on, Ehrenreich felt increasingly uncomfortable. Lord and Miller were pushing a Star Wars film unlike any other, with a strong element of screwball comedy. One Lucasfilm insider actually compared it to Jim Carrey's performance in Ace Ventura, and something about it just wasn't sitting comfortably with Ehrenreich, StarWarsNewsNet reports.

Finally, he had enough. Ehrenreich raised his concerns with one of the film's producers, who let Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy know about it; in light of Ehrenreich's concerns, Kennedy decided to review the existing footage, according to the report.

For months now, we've been hearing positive news about the Han Solo spinoff. Insiders who watched individual scenes came away delighted; that's why fans were initially dismissive when rumors of "creative conflict" began to circulate online. It was only when all the scenes were put together, though, that Kathleen Kennedy realized that something just wasn't working, StarWarsNewsNet's sources say. The film wasn't faithful to Lawrence Kasdan's original script, with a high degree of improv and a zany tone that just didn't seem to fit the Galaxy Far, Far Away.

Intriguingly, one insider told StarWarsNewsNet that there was even a continuity error that would have driven the fans wild, and Lord and Miller wouldn't budge on it.

Lucasfilm seems to have called a hiatus on production — for a couple weeks while Ron Howard gets up to speed, Entertainment Weekly reports — and the company will have to order extensive reshoots. Whereas Gareth Edwards was willing to cooperate with Rogue One, Lord and Miller insisted on their own creative control. It's presumably at this point that Lord tweeted:
What's so great about being reasonable

By all accounts, Lucasfilm gave Lord and Miller an ultimatum — our way or the highway — and the duo wanted to do the film their way. "They thought they were brought on to make a Phil and Chris movie," a source close to the directors told EW, adding that they don't feel any anger at Ron Howard: "Somebody has to take over the movie."

In an ironic touch, screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan, who encouraged Lucasfilm to hire the duo in the first place, reportedly pushed hard for their dismissal.

The last two days have seen fans rage and fume. There's been a lot of blame to go around. Is this unfortunate situation the result of "dinosaurs" like Kennedy and Kasdan, as some fans claim? Or should Miller and Lord have been more willing to compromise? The truth is likely a lot more nuanced than we'd like to admit; when something goes wrong on this scale, it usually means everybody messed up somewhere.

The one man who shines in all of this, though, is Alden Ehrenreich, an actor who's clearly committed to his role, and who dared to speak up when he felt the character was being dishonored. He's definitely got the bravery of Han Solo!

ScreenRant 06.23.2017:
Han Solo Could Get a Lord & Miller Director’s Cut Because of DGA Rule
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:05 am

The irony of Kasdan pushing for the directors being fired over improvising on set instead of honoring his script is that the line of dialogue he's probably the most celebrated for (Leia: I love you. Han: I know.) was improvised on set.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheButcher on Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:39 am

Jar Jar Binks Makes Incognito Plea to Ron Howard For Han Solo Movie Role
"If you really want to turn this movie around, you have got to get Jar Jar in there, and not just a supporting role. Maybe it's a Jar Jar movie now."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:38 am

Ribbons wrote:The irony of Kasdan pushing for the directors being fired over improvising on set instead of honoring his script is that the line of dialogue he's probably the most celebrated for (Leia: I love you. Han: I know.) was improvised on set.

sure, but changing a line here and there is different than changing the tone of the movie by design. frankly I think it is dishonest for a director(s) to take a job for a movie that has a script and a defined plan for tone/direction/feel/etc with the intent to alter it from the start. I don't think these guys ever intended to make the movie they agreed to make. they obviously weren't forthright with the studio in their intent to try to make a Han Solo comedy, they thought they were going to "sneak" it in with the arrogance that of course when the studio saw what they did they'd like it and everyone would be happy. guess not. looks like the studio actually wanted the movie they had contracted to be made. in case it isn't clear I have no use for a fucking Han Solo comedy or fuckwits who think it was a good idea to take a character that was edgy and hard-nosed enough to have shot Greedo preemptively and turn him into a Goddamned leggo kiddy flick. :twisted:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:27 pm

I guess, but I feel like the director(s) should have some input as to what the tone of the film is as well. I like Lord and Miller as filmmakers so I'm probably inclined to be more sympathetic towards them. I think whatever they made would have been good; it may have been jokey and comedic, and some fans may have complained that it didn't feel like a Star Wars movie, but honestly, I feel like Disney is going to need to take some creative risks if they expect to crank these things out every year for the rest of time.

Here's the thing, though: even if we agreed that they were wrong for the project, Kennedy and the rest of the execs should have known that going into production. This is something I get frustrated with, particularly since we've seen it happen a few times now and studios don't seem to have learned their lesson. They hire these auteur-ish directors and then panic when those directors do the exact same thing they've always done. If that's not what you wanted, then why did you hire them in the first place? It's like they want the buzz attached to their names, but nothing else. Some people are going to point to Lord's sarcastic tweet about being "reasonable" and accuse the pair of being stubborn and dickish, but I can understand feeling confused over being pursued to do one of these movies and then getting on set and having no control over what kind of movie you're making.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:40 pm

Ribbons wrote:I guess, but I feel like the director(s) should have some input as to what the tone of the film is as well. I like Lord and Miller as filmmakers so I'm probably inclined to be more sympathetic towards them. I think whatever they made would have been good; it may have been jokey and comedic, and some fans may have complained that it didn't feel like a Star Wars movie, but honestly, I feel like Disney is going to need to take some creative risks if they expect to crank these things out every year for the rest of time.

Here's the thing, though: even if we agreed that they were wrong for the project, Kennedy and the rest of the execs should have known that going into production. This is something I get frustrated with, particularly since we've seen it happen a few times now and studios don't seem to have learned their lesson. They hire these auteur-ish directors and then panic when those directors do the exact same thing they've always done. If that's not what you wanted, then why did you hire them in the first place? It's like they want the buzz attached to their names, but nothing else. Some people are going to point to Lord's sarcastic tweet about being "reasonable" and accuse the pair of being stubborn and dickish, but I can understand feeling confused over being pursued to do one of these movies and then getting on set and having no control over what kind of movie you're making.

to ultra-simplify it, I think the studio wanted a Star Wars movie with a little Lord's flavor, and lords wanted to make a Lords movie with a little Star Wars flavor. again, arrogance. who the fuck are they to think that the Star Wars universe is just theirs to use without any respect to what others have built before them? when they have built up something as iconic as Star Wars then let them fuck around with it like its their own personal sandbox, used like a toy. let them take their little system and plug some other piece of someone's else's creation into it for a movie, since they seem unable to make anything original or from their own imagination.

as for your criticism of Kennedy I call bullshit, because if she was keeping tabs as closely as it would require to satisfy your supposed expectation of knowledge of what is going on she would have to be looking over their shoulder all the time, and then you and others would be crying studio suffocation and micromanagement. no, the more I think about it the more I think this is a case of young directors' sense of privilege and entitlement and lacking the respect for the money and responsibility they are given when they are hired on for a movie. they are treated as professionals, trusted as professionals to do a professional job, with expectations known, and use that trust to insert their own egos and agendas into the project. if these guys had been trying to make something that was original, something that was theirs, I would support them all the way in doing what they could to realize their vision. but this isn't their vision. this isn't their car. this is a loaner. this is a car someone else has busted their ass to build into one of the most sought after cars ever. they should have respected that.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:57 pm

All I can say about this reshoot is...

Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit. Please don't cut me when I'm in the Correlian Spaceport scene where I'm one of many passengers getting on a ship to escape the planet which is under some airborne virus type thing and Han and Emilia Clarke are trying to escape the Stormtroopers after them and they catch Emilia whilst Han bangs on a glass wall shouting "LET HER GO!" then has to disguise himself in the crowd hunted by troopers then ironically signs up at a desk to join the Imperials just so he can get out of there to another room where he is given a face concealing Stormtrooper outfit.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Ribbons on Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:29 pm

Peven wrote:as for your criticism of Kennedy I call bullshit, because if she was keeping tabs as closely as it would require to satisfy your supposed expectation of knowledge of what is going on she would have to be looking over their shoulder all the time, and then you and others would be crying studio suffocation and micromanagement. no, the more I think about it the more I think this is a case of young directors' sense of privilege and entitlement and lacking the respect for the money and responsibility they are given when they are hired on for a movie. they are treated as professionals, trusted as professionals to do a professional job, with expectations known, and use that trust to insert their own egos and agendas into the project. if these guys had been trying to make something that was original, something that was theirs, I would support them all the way in doing what they could to realize their vision. but this isn't their vision. this isn't their car. this is a loaner. this is a car someone else has busted their ass to build into one of the most sought after cars ever. they should have respected that.

You know what, Peven? You're right! Anyone who criticizes Kennedy is full of shit and deserves to be raked across the coals. I say we start with this guy:

Peven, four days ago wrote:this kind of news is so fucking irritating, as well as disappointing, because it shows how unprofessional the supposed professionals in the industry really are. I would bet that a lot of people would have thought to sit down with the directors before they started production of a major motion picture to go over the script and storyboards and shooting locations, etc, etc, to make sure they were on the same page as the studio in regard to what movie was being made, the one paying the bills. but this big time studio exec didn't realize that the guys she hired to make a movie weren't making the movie she wanted until halfway or more through shooting? :roll: to be this far into production and now change course because of "creative differences" is inexcusable and shows poor decision-making on the studio side going back to the decision to hire cheese comedy directors to make a real SW movie in the first place.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:26 am

Ribbons wrote:
Peven wrote:as for your criticism of Kennedy I call bullshit, because if she was keeping tabs as closely as it would require to satisfy your supposed expectation of knowledge of what is going on she would have to be looking over their shoulder all the time, and then you and others would be crying studio suffocation and micromanagement. no, the more I think about it the more I think this is a case of young directors' sense of privilege and entitlement and lacking the respect for the money and responsibility they are given when they are hired on for a movie. they are treated as professionals, trusted as professionals to do a professional job, with expectations known, and use that trust to insert their own egos and agendas into the project. if these guys had been trying to make something that was original, something that was theirs, I would support them all the way in doing what they could to realize their vision. but this isn't their vision. this isn't their car. this is a loaner. this is a car someone else has busted their ass to build into one of the most sought after cars ever. they should have respected that.

You know what, Peven? You're right! Anyone who criticizes Kennedy is full of shit and deserves to be raked across the coals. I say we start with this guy:

Peven, four days ago wrote:this kind of news is so fucking irritating, as well as disappointing, because it shows how unprofessional the supposed professionals in the industry really are. I would bet that a lot of people would have thought to sit down with the directors before they started production of a major motion picture to go over the script and storyboards and shooting locations, etc, etc, to make sure they were on the same page as the studio in regard to what movie was being made, the one paying the bills. but this big time studio exec didn't realize that the guys she hired to make a movie weren't making the movie she wanted until halfway or more through shooting? :roll: to be this far into production and now change course because of "creative differences" is inexcusable and shows poor decision-making on the studio side going back to the decision to hire cheese comedy directors to make a real SW movie in the first place.

you know, you got me. I had not read up on the situation and was making assumptions that I believe now were dead wrong. i'll be the first to admit I am a tad emotional and can be impulsive with my reactions to things, it isn't the first time I have stuck my foot in my mouth and it won't be the last. :D

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:19 pm

'Star Wars' Firing Reveals a Disturbance in the Franchise
New details emerge from the set of the troubled Han Solo movie (an editor fired, a last-minute acting coach hired) as insiders debate whether problems trace to directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller, or if the Disney and Lucasfilm series can accommodate divergent styles.
Kim Masters wrote:Matters had already reached a boiling point in mid-June when Phil Lord and Chris Miller, co-directors of the still-untitled young Han Solo movie, were in the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon but didn’t start shooting until 1 p.m. That day the two used only three different setups — that is, three variations on camera placement — as opposed to the 12 to 15 that Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy had expected, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. Not only was the going slow, but the few angles that had been shot did not provide a wealth of options to use in editing the movie.

This was hardly the first time Kennedy was unhappy with how the film was progressing. And as he looked at dailies from his home in Los Angeles, Lawrence Kasdan — screenwriter, executive producer and keeper of the Stars Wars flame — also was said to be displeased.

Meanwhile, Lord and Miller, the exceptionally successful team behind The Lego Movie and 21 Jump Street, were chafing, too, according to a source close to them. There were "deep fundamental philosophical differences" in filmmaking styles, this person says, and the directors felt they were being given "zero creative freedom." They also felt they were being asked to operate under "extreme scheduling constraints" and "were never given enough days for each scene from the very beginning."

Shortly after the shoot in the Millennium Falcon, on June 20, the world learned that Kennedy — with the backing of Disney studio chief Alan Horn — had taken the extraordinary step of firing Lord and Miller. Obviously, Kennedy knew this would set off a storm of publicity that no one wants or needs in any movie — especially one in the Star Wars universe, where every move is closely watched by a gigantic audience with a sense of ownership. It's rare and undesirable enough to fire any director. Firing established players like Lord and Miller, who have a fan base ready to give them the benefit of any doubt? That shocked Hollywood's most seasoned veterans.

Anxious to avoid an outright rupture, Kennedy is said to have made attempts first to support and eventually to supplant Lord and Miller to some degree, as happened with Gareth Edwards on the troubled Rogue One. In that case, screenwriter Tony Gilroy took on significant duties with the cooperation of Edwards; in this case, sources say, Kennedy attempted to cast Kasdan in that role. Unsurprisingly, Lord and Miller were less accommodating than Edwards, still a novice, had been. Lord and Miller declined to comment, as did Kennedy.

As soon as shooting got underway, insiders say, it started to become clear that Kennedy’s stated intention of hiring directors who would put their own spin on Star Wars movies had led to a mismatch. Some insiders say that while the talent of Lord and Miller is undeniable, nothing in their background prepared them for a movie of this size and scope. These sources say they relied too heavily on the improvisational style that served them so well in live-action comedy and animation but does not work on a set with hundreds of crewmembers waiting for direction.

“You have to make decisions much earlier than what they’re used to,” one of these sources say. “I don’t know if it’s because there were two of them but they were not decisive.” Production department heads began to complain. While the pair appeared to listen when told of festering problems, this person says their approach did not change.

But the source close to Lord and Miller acknowledges they have always worked in an improvisational style and not just to add comedic elements. "They collaborate closely with their actors and give them creative freedom that, in their experience, brings out the actors' best performances," this person says. "Lawrence Kasdan would not allow this and demanded that every line was said word for word. To appease him and the studio, Lord and Miller would do several takes exactly as written and then shoot additional takes."

Matters were coming to a head in May as the production moved from London to the Canary Islands. Lucasfilm replaced editor Chris Dickens (Macbeth) with Oscar-winner Pietro Scalia, a veteran of Ridley Scott films including Alien: Covenant and The Martian. And, not entirely satisfied with the performance that the directors were eliciting from Rules Don't Apply star Alden Ehrenreich, Lucasfilm decided to bring in an acting coach. (Hiring a coach is not unusual; hiring one that late in production is.) Lord and Miller suggested writer-director Maggie Kiley, who worked with them on 21 Jump Street.

When Kennedy felt that these measures did not get the production on track, she asked Kasdan to come to London. Kasdan is said also to have been unhappy with the limited shots and displeased that Lord and Miller were calling out lines for the actors to try from behind the monitor rather than sticking with the script that he had written in collaboration with his son. (Lord and Miller had input on the script before shooting began.) “As a writer, producer and part of Star Wars world, you get on a plane when that happens,” says a person with knowledge of the situation.

But Lord and Miller were not prepared to have Kasdan become a shadow director. With an impasse reached, Kennedy finally pulled the trigger. The next day, when the crew was told that Ron Howard would take over as director, sources say they broke into applause.

Stepping in to replace directors who have been fired is not something that many filmmakers would want to do. Probably Howard is one of the few who could and would — at least, in this particular set of circumstances. Insiders say he was concerned about how Lord and Miller would react and has been emailing with them; another source says the two have been “very supportive, very elegant.” Howard arrives in London on June 26 and shooting, which began in February and was supposed to be completed in July, will continue into the first week of September as Howard captures new material. Still, an insider says much of what Lord and Miller shot will be “very usable.”

How credit will be determined is up to the Directors Guild. What will happen next for Lord and Miller isn’t clear but they are in demand and have an open berth waiting for them to direct The Flash for Warner Bros., if they chose to take it. (They had left that film for the Han Solo movie but could return.)

While Kennedy declined to comment on the episode, just a year ago, THR did a Q-and-A with her that sheds light on her thinking. Kennedy discussed her belief that within major franchises, it is possible to “take artistic license and creative risks.” She added, “If all you're doing is playing it safe — trying to make the same movie over and over again — that's when the audiences say, 'Oh, this is just a moneymaking machine.’ But if it's genuinely in service to the art form, then the franchise concept is being used in a way that's exciting.”

But at the same time, Kennedy — speaking in the context of hiring young, relatively untested directors (as opposed to established filmmakers like Lord and Miller) — said these choices were “instinctual.” And she continued with a statement that seemed, perhaps presciently, to address what may have gone awry on the Han Solo movie: “One of the things I've come to realize since I've been in this position of keeping Star Wars going is that in addition to looking for somebody who can creatively have an impact, you're really looking for leadership skills. No one steps into these big movies without being able to genuinely lead the charge with hundreds of people and [handle] the relationship with the studio. That's a very difficult thing to do, and you don't know [a person can do] that until you get to spend time and watch somebody operate.”

There are some in the industry who see an emerging pattern suggesting that Kennedy’s appetite for creative license and risk-taking will have to be curbed. Josh Trank was dismissed from the second Star Wars stand-alone film before he even started based on problems with Fantastic Four; Edwards, who conceived of Rogue One as a dark war film, was shunted aside; and now this. For all the talk of hiring filmmakers with their own vision, observers say Kennedy and Disney may be learning that the franchise is defined by a particular set of parameters. “All of the films have been 'troubled,'" says a top executive at a rival studio. “J.J. [Abrams] was powerful enough to push back on an unrealistic start date [for the first movie] but that was a tug of war. The last one was reshot by Tony [Gilroy] for months and now this? This is a systemic problem.”

But an insider argues that Rian Johnson (Looper) shot Star Wars: The Last Jedi, set for release in December, seamlessly, proving that the right director can execute without major interference from Lucasfilm. The search for new and interesting filmmakers will continue and for many, perhaps, the siren call of Star Wars will be impossible to resist.

On the Han Solo movie, a high-level insider says Kennedy and Disney "were hoping for a meeting of the minds [with Lord and Miller] that never came." But if had Kennedy fired them earlier, another source says, “People would say, 'Why the hell didn’t you try to work it out?’ You’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:23 pm

Ribbons wrote:

Peven's such a contrarian, he eventually ends up contrarian to himself.

i'm just disappointed we won't get to see Han Solo talking out of his butt. i was really looking forward to that. oh well, so much for the highly demanded screwball Star Wars comedy. at least we'll always have Spaceballs.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:34 pm

TheButcher wrote:ScreenRant 06.23.2017:
Han Solo Could Get a Lord & Miller Director’s Cut Because of DGA Rule

it would be fascinating to see the different versions of this film. like the 2 versions of the Exorcist prequel.
HAN SOLO: THE BEGINNING vs. SOLOMINION: PREQUEL TO THE STAR WARS
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:24 pm

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:42 pm

Peven, I'm assuming this link is directed at me because of what I said about the "I know" line being improvised. Yes, I'm aware that Harrison Ford didn't literally ad-lib that off the top of his head while the cameras were rolling. My point is that the actors and director changed dialogue from the script that they didn't like on-set, and a lot of people unfamiliar with the making of Empire think that Kasdan wrote it. Which makes *this* information from your link all the more glaring:

“They collaborate closely with their actors and give them creative freedom that, in their experience, brings out the actors’ best performances,” this person says. “Lawrence Kasdan would not allow this and demanded that every line was said word for word.”
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:17 am

it wasn't just for that one line at all, more for the overall content to show that I am not alone in my take on things, since my point of view is so often dismissed as singularly "out there"

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:07 am

A 'Star Wars' Firing and the Death of the Director
The Phil Lord and Chris Miller Han Solo exits are the tip of an artistic iceberg as studios reassert an historic choke hold over filmmakers.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:21 am

TheButcher wrote:A 'Star Wars' Firing and the Death of the Director
The Phil Lord and Chris Miller Han Solo exits are the tip of an artistic iceberg as studios reassert an historic choke hold over filmmakers.

what a narrow-minded, whiny "article". want to see an untethered Director? think that will always give us the best results? then you must think the SW prequels are solid fucking gold, and Peter Jackson's "King Kong" ought to have won a best picture, right? The Hollywood Reporter must be hiring junior high English students to write for them these days..... :roll:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:24 am

i appreciate the sentiment, in general, and it's certainly not a secret that directors are at the whim of the producers and studio heads, especially when it comes to mega-budget franchise films like the Marvel, DC and SW films.

but c'mon now... we're talking about Phil Lord and Chris Miller here. let's not get carried away. i think they've got a LONG way to go before they deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as directors like Scorsese, Welles, Cameron, or Coppola. i mean, Lego Movie was good, and they managed to take what could have been a pretty lame concept and actually make an interesting and heartfelt flim out of it. it was fun and enjoyable. but we're not talking The Godfather or Raging Bull here. and while i haven't seen 21 Jump Street, i'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess it's also not something that will go down in history as a film masterwork. none of those directors in fact ever made franchise films, except Cameron, and those were mostly for franchises he created himself (Terminator, Avatar). the business side definitely dominates with these kinds of films, and it's why those films so often feel empty and unoriginal. but guys like the ones mentioned in that article generally steered clear of that kind of moviemaking in favor of more independent and original properties. maybe Josh Trank or Gareth Edwards become the next Scorsese, but they're probably not going to get there directing Star Wars movies.

finally, since these 2 guys got fired, i've seen a lot of pictures of them in various articles, and i have to say.... Phil Lord has the most punchable face since Michael Cera. seriously, can that guy ever take a picture where he's not smirking? every time i see it, i want to get some 80-grit sandpaper and wipe that fucking smirk right off his face. one look at that face should have been all the proof anyone would ever need that he would be totally wrong for directing a Han Solo movie.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:18 pm

TheBaxter wrote:

i appreciate the sentiment, in general, and it's certainly not a secret that directors are at the whim of the producers and studio heads, especially when it comes to mega-budget franchise films like the Marvel, DC and SW films.

but c'mon now... we're talking about Phil Lord and Chris Miller here. let's not get carried away. i think they've got a LONG way to go before they deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as directors like Scorsese, Welles, Cameron, or Coppola.

I know you're less inclined to be charitable towards Lord and Miller because you don't like the movies they make (and because one of them reminds you of Michael Cera), but they're a perfect example of this. Clone High, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, The Lego Movie, the upcoming animated Spider-Man, The Last Man on Earth, 21/22 Jump Street -- they've had a lot of success making a very specific type of movie: humorous, cartoonish, experimental and heavily tongue-in-cheek. I get that Star Wars is a valuable intellectual property for Disney, and even though I think they're wrong in most cases, I don't blame them for hiring or firing who they want based on what they want "the brand" to be. But there is something odd to me about pursuing filmmakers who only do one type of thing and then expecting them to do something completely different, because you want the buzz attached to their name but nothing else that comes with it. Some young up-and-comers may be so grateful that you threw them a bone that they'll make whatever you tell them to, but Lord and Miller don't need that shit. They may not be Scorsese or Cameron, but they can go back to doing what they've always done and be fine.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:45 pm

Really, having those two direct a film about an iconic pre-defined character (specially Han Solo) within the Star Wars film world is like having Zucker/Abrahams/Zucker do the same in 1989 and expecting different results. Their niche is as well-established as the Star Wars universe and the two are about as distant from each other as they could be.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:25 pm

Ribbons wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:

but c'mon now... we're talking about Phil Lord and Chris Miller here. let's not get carried away. i think they've got a LONG way to go before they deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as directors like Scorsese, Welles, Cameron, or Coppola.

I know you're less inclined to be charitable towards Lord and Miller because you don't like the movies they make (and because one of them reminds you of Michael Cera), but they're a perfect example of this. Clone High, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, The Lego Movie, the upcoming animated Spider-Man, The Last Man on Earth, 21/22 Jump Street -- they've had a lot of success making a very specific type of movie: humorous, cartoonish, experimental and heavily tongue-in-cheek. I get that Star Wars is a valuable intellectual property for Disney, and even though I think they're wrong in most cases, I don't blame them for hiring or firing who they want based on what they want "the brand" to be. But there is something odd to me about pursuing filmmakers who only do one type of thing and then expecting them to do something completely different, because you want the buzz attached to their name but nothing else that comes with it. Some young up-and-comers may be so grateful that you threw them a bone that they'll make whatever you tell them to, but Lord and Miller don't need that shit. They may not be Scorsese or Cameron, but they can go back to doing what they've always done and be fine.

yeah, um.... i thought i said i liked the Lego Movie. which i did, i liked it a lot. and that's the only Lord/Miller film i've seen so i can't say i don't like their movies. they are 1 for 1 with me so far, though i also don't have any particular desire to see the other films in their filmography so far. i also wouldn't get too complacent about their track record yet if i were them... what was the last successful film made by the Farrelly Brothers or the Wachowskis? a few hit movies is no guarantee of a successful multi-decade career, especially not these days.

i think that article was off-base because it tried too hard to tie in the Lord/Miller firing with examples of true auteur directors from earlier decades, making entirely different kinds of movies and suffering completely different kinds of interference (Coppola and Cimino were never actually fired from their films, and Cameron's fights with the studio were over budget, not the tone of the film). it felt like the author chose the point he wanted to make, and then stretched beyond reason to try to come up with some examples to support his pre-determined conclusion. i don't think you can compare 70s indie films or even 80s blockbusters to today's multi-film-universe-driven tentpole films. those types of films actually are more like TV shows, in a way. each film is really more like an episode in the larger story than a complete film to itself. and just like TV shows have showrunners, who choose and work with the directors to ensure that each episode fits the tone and style of the show and maintains continuity, these types of films have producers serving the same function. i agree that Lord/Miller were poor choices for this material and this universe, and that it is the "showrunner" of the franchise (whether that is a director, producer, exec producer, studio executive, etc.) who is responsible for choosing directors who fit the franchise, just like a TV showrunner would do. i think if the people making these movies would be more honest about how these franchises are run, fans would be more accepting of stuff like this happening. no one would get all bent out of shape if Benioff and Weiss fired a particular director of a GoT episode because they were going off script, improvising, and it was turning out too "jokey". maybe it's because they're afraid of bucking the whole conception of films as a "director's medium" like that article described, whereas TV is seen more as a writer's medium. as such, it's led them to some seemingly poor decision-making on SW directors so far. look at all the criticism people have heaped on Kasdan for seemingly wanting them to stick to the script more? would that have been different if Disney came out and announced that Kasdan and Kennedy were the "showrunners" for the SW film universe, and officially endowed them with the responsibility for maintaining the franchise across the entire filmography?

anyways, none of that stuff really has anything to do with the article because it's really an issue with these shared-universe films, or established franchises, and doesn't necessarily mean anything in regards to other kinds of moviemaking. that writer had blinders on and only saw it one way.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Al Shut on Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:30 pm

Fievel wrote:Really, having those two direct a film about an iconic pre-defined character (specially Han Solo) within the Star Wars film world is like having Zucker/Abrahams/Zucker do the same in 1989 and expecting different results. Their niche is as well-established as the Star Wars universe and the two are about as distant from each other as they could be.

Isn't there a lot of Lego Satr Wars stuff. Don't know much about it, don't think Miller and Lord are involved but I think it's aiming more in the direction of the other Lego stuff but maybe I just got the impression because I liked neither.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:29 pm

Al Shut wrote:
Fievel wrote:Really, having those two direct a film about an iconic pre-defined character (specially Han Solo) within the Star Wars film world is like having Zucker/Abrahams/Zucker do the same in 1989 and expecting different results. Their niche is as well-established as the Star Wars universe and the two are about as distant from each other as they could be.

Isn't there a lot of Lego Satr Wars stuff. Don't know much about it, don't think Miller and Lord are involved but I think it's aiming more in the direction of the other Lego stuff but maybe I just got the impression because I liked neither.

i don't think the Lego Star Wars stuff is considered "canon."
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:32 pm

It's rumoured that me and my Harrison Ford impression has been cast to replace Aiden Aldenbrecht if his acting coach can't change things for him.

But you can't share that with anyone either.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:39 am

Peven wrote:Peter Jackson's "King Kong" ought to have won a best picture, right?

Well...
caruso_stalker217

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:43 am

At least Jerry Zucker managed to pull off a GHOST.

For what that's worth.
caruso_stalker217

Postby Peven on Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:11 am

caruso_stalker217 wrote:
Peven wrote:Peter Jackson's "King Kong" ought to have won a best picture, right?

Well...

that was ROTK

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:45 am

PK's King Kong wasn't that bad, it was just very bloated. could've cut a 1/2 hour or more from that film easy and it would've worked better.
and then he took the Hobbit and did even worse, it was so bloated it made a beached whale look like an anorexic supermodel by comparison.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:01 pm

TheBaxter wrote:PK's King Kong wasn't that bad, it was just very bloated. could've cut a 1/2 hour or more from that film easy and it would've worked better.
and then he took the Hobbit and did even worse, it was so bloated it made a beached whale look like an anorexic supermodel by comparison.

yeah, The Hobbit is a better example of a bloated movie(s). but still, imagine if Jackson had a studio as a check on his self-indulgence when making King Kong, because then we might have seen a true best picture nominee. the Hobbit had more problems than just a self-indulgent director, it was more a case of trying to throw things together on the fly due to a pre-production clusterfuck that didn't have a clear vision or strong leadership until it fell back into Jackson's lap. I blame del Toro as much as any single reason.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:52 pm

Considering what actually won best picture that year, Jackson's KONG would have been a step up.
caruso_stalker217

Re: YET ANOTHER STAR WARS THREAD (DingDangDong)

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:04 am

Bleeding Cool July 27, 2017:
Ron Howard, Warwick Davis Tease Willow Sequel; Oh Yeah, And Davis Will Be In ‘Han Solo’
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

PreviousNext

Return to Movie News