King Kong vs Godzilla 2020

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

King Kong vs Godzilla 2020

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:01 pm

ComingSoon.net:
King Kong vs. Godzilla Planned as Skull Island Heads to WB!
The Eighth Wonder of the World will once again take on the King of Monsters

SILAS LESNICK wrote:A new King Kong vs. Godzilla is being planned as Kong: Skull Island moves from Universal to Warner Bros.

Some big is brewing today as Deadline reports that Legendary’s upcoming Kong: Skull Island has moved from Universal to Warner Bros. According to the outlet, that’s because Legendary is keen on developing a new King Kong vs. Godzilla movie and are making efforts to keep the gargantuan beasts under the same distributor. Skull Island remains on track for a March 10, 2017 with a sequel to Gareth Edwards’ Godzilla planned for June 8, 2018. After that, the Eighth Wonder of the World will take on the King of Monsters in an as-of-yet untitled King Kong vs. Godzilla feature!

Of course, this won’t be the first time that these titans have clashed. 1962’s King Kong vs. Godzilla marked the third Godzilla feature. In that film, the size of both monsters was adjusted to even the odds, however Godzilla is traditionally significantly larger than Kong. May we suggest pulling in Legendary’s other Kaiju-friendly franchise, Pacific Rim, and giving Kong his own mecha-ape Jaeger?

Kong: Skull Island, which is being directed by The Kings of Summers‘ Jordan Vogt-Roberts from a script by John Gatins and Max Borenstein, aims to fully immerse audiences in the mysterious and dangerous home of the king of the apes as a team of explorers ventures deep inside the treacherous, primordial island. Legendary’s story honors the foundations of existing King Kong lore, but places it in an entirely new, distinct timeline. Previously, Simmons revealed a surprise setting for the film, saying it would take place in Detroit in 1971; however, given the title of the movie, it’s a safe bet that the jungles of King Kong’s homeland will be the primary setting.

The Godzilla sequel, meanwhile, is being scripted by Max Borenstein and will feature the return of Edwards as director. It has been hinted that we will see some other famous Kaiju, such as Rodan, Mothra and King Ghidorah, although none have been fully confirmed at this time.
Last edited by TheButcher on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: King Kong vs Godzilla 2

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:05 pm

Deadline:
King Kong On Move To Warner Bros
Presaging Godzilla Monster Matchup
Mike Fleming Jr wrote:EXCLUSIVE:
In a movie move that portends a clash of giant monsters, Legendary Pictures’ Thomas Tull is moving his untitled Skull Island King Kong film to Warner Bros. This is being done to unite the property with Legendary’s other giant franchise, Godzilla. In what would be a pretty epic pairing, the Godzilla sequel that is in the works will be followed by a movie that pits the giant ape versus the giant fire breathing reptile. I’m told this is happening very quickly with moves going all the way to Japan, where Godzilla rights holder Toho is based. Legendary, which moved from Warner Bros to Universal, had developed the Skull Island film at the latter studio. It is unclear at the moment what Universal’s position will be, but I heard the studio move is being done because it is just easier to have all the pieces under one roof, something that Marvel Studios has done with superheroes like The Hulk. King Kong is in the public domain, while Legendary got the Godzilla rights from Toho.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:08 pm

THR:
'Kong: Skull Island' to Move to Warner Bros. for Planned Monster Movie Universe
The end game: to be able to combine classic screen monsters King Kong and Godzilla into one cinematic universe.
Borys Kit wrote:A Monster Universe is coming together.

Talks are underway between Legendary Entertainment, Warner Bros. and Universal to move Legendary’s Kong: Skull Island from Universal to Warner Bros., sources confirm to The Hollywood Reporter.

The end game: to be able to combine classic screen monsters King Kong and Godzilla into one cinematic universe.

Godzilla was made by Legendary with Warner Bros. and grossed around $200 million. A sequel is in active development with an eye for a 2018 release.

At the same time, Legendary is making Skull Island, a King Kong movie that is just weeks away from shooting and will star Tom Hiddleston and Brie Larson, among others.

When it became clear that all roads led to an eventual crossover with a series of movies on these so-called super species, talks began to move Skull Island. The dealmaking isn’t as complicated as one would think: Universal has no financial stake and was only to distribute the movie.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

King Kong vs Godzilla 2 "Legendary Monster Movie Universe"

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:14 am

Motion Captured MONDAY, JUL 28, 2014 7:00 PM:
Legendary sets up a possible 'Avengers' style crossover for King Kong and Godzilla
Could they stop by 'Jurassic World' on their way to 'Skull Island'?
Moriarty wrote:While I wouldn't exactly call it a shock, it is a thrill to see Legendary come out strong and stake their claim on "Godzilla 2." The real treat of them going back for a second film is going to be seeing how Toho lets them play with the other toys in the toy box.

One of the things that became clear as they showed their "secret" Monarch footage today is that they have big plans for the Godzilla series. Gareth Edwards has a very dry British wit, and that was on full display when he did his taped message for the audience from San Francisco where he's supposedly supervising the rebuilding of the city. He talked about how he needed to take a break from the pressure of working on high-profile properties that fanboys will have opinions about, a lovely nod to his impending "Star Wars" adventure, and then was interrupted by Godzilla, who was on Alcatraz island, unhappy to be caged in by the military.

The introduction of the three new monsters they plan to use in the sequel was pretty great, done through shadows and suggestion, and I'm totally down for a movie with Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah all showing up to rumble. I laughed out loud at the final title card that just read, "Let them fight." I guarantee that whatever movie Gareth makes with these characters next time, it won't just be a repeat of the peekaboo strategy of the first film. I think Edwards is smarter than that, and there's no need to play coy with Godzilla himself.

What I'm most curious about is the other trailer they showed at the end of the Legendary panel, because it feels to me like this is another possible example of the Marvel influence at work. To their credit, Legendary kept this one completely under wraps until now, but I'm not sure I get the point of a stand-alone remake of "King Kong." True, it doesn't look like they're doing a straight remake in the traditional sense, but they revealed the big ape in all his glory at the end of a long tracking push-in through the island, over the wall, past other creatures barely glimpsed. The reaction in the room was, to say the least, confused, and it's more because no one was expecting it than as a real reaction to the idea.

When I called home after the panel to talk to Toshi and Allen, my kids, I knew they'd lose their minds over the idea of which monsters Godzilla's going to get to fight this time. And they did. Or rather, Toshi did. He likes to be the go-between, the one on the phone, conveying the conversation to Allen. To some degree, I agree. Talking to a six year old on a cell phone he's holding is like trying to shave a pilot while he's taking off from the deck of an aircraft carrier. As I listed each one, Toshi would repeat it to his brother, and they'd both give me an "OH MY GOD" or "THAT'S AWESOME." I live off their enthusiasm like I'm a vampire. It's the best thing, and the notion of seeing Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah totally works for them.

Then I told Toshi about the last trailer. I described some of the shots, but I didn't tell him about the reveal, and then I told him the title. "You know who lives on Skull Island, right?"

"King Kong," he replied. "That's preohhhhmygodTHATMEANSHECOULDFIGHTGODZILLA!! DADDYARETHEYGOINGTOHAVEHIMFIGHTGODZILLA!!
ALLEN!ALLEN!KINGKONGISGOINGTOFIGHTGODZILLAAAAAAA!!!!"

And then he got excited about it.

At nine, he immediately got the inherent promise of bookending the Legendary panel with those two films. I'm not pretending I have access to some secret game plan. I'm just saying that when a nine-year-old kid's first thought is that it would be amazing to see the monsters from both ends of the Comic-Con panel come together in what every studio is chasing today, a "shared universe."

When the Monarch "secret footage" played, the title cards were very direct. "There is one secret we were never told. There were others." The implication is that the various governments of the world have conspired, even at the end of a world war, to keep a secret about giant monsters that exist in more than one place.

I had a sneaking suspicion they might announce a subtitle for "Godzilla 2" and that it would be very smart to call it "Monster Island." Well, if they've got another island they can cue up as a possible destination for a third "Godzilla" movie, even better. It certainly looks like they've put themselves in the right position to have a clash of the icons for the first time since the preposterously silly 1962 film.

We'll see when they get moving on all of this, and how much appetite audiences have for giant monsters kicking the crap out of other giant monsters. I just know that in the coveted demographic of "kids who live in my house," this entire plan is a smash hit already.

ScreenRant:
By Araceli Roach wrote:Another added element to the new King Kong vs. Godzilla could be the inclusion of all the monsters planned for Godzilla 2. Footage at Comic-Con 2014 teased the possible return of Mothra, Rodan, and Ghidorah in the sequel, and the film could also be a remake of 1968’s Destroy All Monsters. The sky’s the limit at this point, and reuniting King Kong and Godzilla is just the first step.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:23 pm

Godzilla vs King Kong is a match that nearly rivals Batman vs Superman in the suspensefulness of its outcome. Godzilla would cook that overgrown monkey with his fire breath and gorge himself on a nice dinner of Kong-steaks.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:36 pm

TheBaxter wrote:Godzilla vs King Kong is a match that nearly rivals Batman vs Superman in the suspensefulness of its outcome. Godzilla would cook that overgrown monkey with his fire breath and gorge himself on a nice dinner of Kong-steaks.

Not if King Kong flung his building sized feces in Godzilla's face first.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:34 pm

TheBaxter wrote:Godzilla vs King Kong is a match that nearly rivals Batman vs Superman in the suspensefulness of its outcome. Godzilla would cook that overgrown monkey with his fire breath and gorge himself on a nice dinner of Kong-steaks.

fool, a master of Kong-Fu can evade clumsy laser breath attacks and deliver lethal strikes with both fists and feet and the ability to sink those oversized teeth in a reptilian neck in close quarters.....just sayin'

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:26 am

From THR 8/19/2015:
Ian Richter Joins Legendary to Oversee Franchise Development
He previously worked at DreamWorks Animation on properties like 'How to Train Your Dragon' and 'Trolls.'
Gregg Kilday wrote:Ian Richter has joined Legendary Entertainment as executive vice president of franchise and emerging platform development. Reporting to Legendary president and COO Jon Jashni and chief marketing officer Emily Castel, he will be involved with select properties across the company’s film, television, digital and virtual reality efforts as well as emerging storytelling platforms.

Prior to joining Legendary, Richter was head of franchise creative for DreamWorks Animation where he worked with the filmmakers to bring the How to Train Your Dragon universe to multiple platforms; helped bring in the Trolls IP, which will serve as the basis for an upcoming feature; and served as franchise executive producer for the new DreamWorks-Netflix original series Dinotrux. He also served as director of programming and development at Kids’ WB! and CW Television as well as director of entertainment development and supervising producer at Mattel Entertainment, where he developed multiple network series and supervised the creative development and production of live-action and animated movies, television series and direct-to-DVDs including The Spectacular Spider-Man, The Batman and He-Man and the Masters of the Universe.

“Legendary Entertainment offers its devoted fans premium content via its film, television and digital platforms,” Jashni and Castel said in a joint statement. “Adding Ian to oversee the alignment and connective tissue of this content will allow us to streamline these multiple platforms and further exploit our intellectual properties.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:12 am

TheWrap September 12, 2015:
What a King Kong-Godzilla Monster Mash Means for Warner Bros., Universal
Who says movie studios can’t get along?
Matt Donnelly wrote:Despite the expectation that Universal would distribute Legendary Pictures’ “Kong: Skull Island” as part of the deal Thomas Tull‘s company signed with the studio two years ago, an individual familiar with the situation told TheWrap that the project’s move to Warner Bros. was “very amicable.”

Indeed, multiple sources connected to the companies involved agreed that there was no friction about relocating director Jordan Vogt-Roberts‘ King Kong prequel, which is scheduled to start production this fall for a 2017 release.

That’s despite the fact that Warner Bros. is expected to develop a monster mashup movie down the line that would pair the giant ape and the studio’s recently revived Godzilla franchise.

The studio switch was signaled by a trademark filing last week in which Warner Bros. asserted its distribution right over Kong’s ongoing theatrical and TV content — leading some industry insiders to suspect Universal was being strong-armed out of a lucrative franchise.

But according to a second individual familiar with Legendary’s dealings with both studios, “There was no fight.”

“All of the studios, they’re building these universes,” another insider noted. “These two properties obviously make sense at Warner Bros.”

“Skull Island,” which stars Tom Hiddleston, Samuel L. Jackson and Brie Larson, is set to start shooting in the coming weeks and is currently slated for release on March 10, 2017.

Warner Bros. is also moving forward with “Godzilla 2,” which is expected in 2018 from director Gareth Edwards from a script by Max Borenstein. Edwards successfully rebooted the franchise with last year’s “Godzilla,” which starred Bryan Cranston and amassed roughly $530 million worldwide.

There is no indication of whether, or how quickly, a crossover movie might occur.

It’s worth noting that Warner Bros. also has a long relationship with Legendary, which left two years ago for a new home at Universal that will continue through 2018.

While the studio switch is not yet official, the prospect of crossover films is a no-brainer in a marketplace rife with similar character constellations, from Disney’s “Star Wars” and Marvel superhero multiverses to Paramount’s plans to expand its “Transformers” franchise.

Warner Bros. already has an impressive stable of franchises, led by its expansion plans for the DC Comics universe beginning with next year’s “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” and the eventual “Justice League” series. And Universal still has some oversize monsters in its stable, including the engineered dinosaurs of “Jurassic World” and the underwater creatures known as kaiju from Guillermo del Toro‘s 2013 thriller “Pacific Rim.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:51 pm

TheButcher, why do you bother posting news about this when hardly anyone responds to it? In fact you guys are better off leaving the zone and going back to the TBs as I just came from there coincidentally to see that there are huge amounts of posts on this King Kong vs Godzilla topic that drown out the few posts here.

This place is so dead you should all go back to the Talkbacks - where people actually TALK!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby Peven on Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:33 pm

talking is so last century

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:25 pm

Peven wrote:talking is so last century

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:29 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:TheButcher, why do you bother posting news about this when hardly anyone responds to it? In fact you guys are better off leaving the zone and going back to the TBs as I just came from there coincidentally to see that there are huge amounts of posts on this King Kong vs Godzilla topic that drown out the few posts here.

This place is so dead you should all go back to the Talkbacks - where people actually TALK!

in talkbacks, people talk.

in the zone, people listen.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby TheButcher on Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:39 am

I don't know Kirks. I just like it here. I know where everything is. It's a nice place. People here are nice too.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:05 pm

What if Warner Bros. turns RAMPAGE into King Kong vs Godzilla?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:11 pm

TheButcher wrote:I don't know Kirks. I just like it here. I know where everything is. It's a nice place. People here are nice too.

you sit on a throne of lies

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:53 pm

Peven wrote:
TheButcher wrote:I don't know Kirks. I just like it here. I know where everything is. It's a nice place. People here are nice too.

you sit on a throne of lies

"You smell like beef and cheese, you don't smell like Santa!"
Elf
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:15 pm

Hollywood Gorilla Warfare: It’s Universal vs. Legendary Over ‘Kong: Skull Island’ (and Who Says "Thank You")
Legendary's Thomas Tull may have annoyed studio brass on 'Jurassic World' as Universal's Donna Langley balks at a pricey ape reboot and Warner Bros. swoops in for a three-picture Godzilla mashup.
Universal Pictures' decision last week to let Thomas Tull's Legendary Pictures take its Kong: Skull Island project to Warner Bros. in the midst of a five-year production and financing deal is being read as a symptom of relationship trouble between the companies.

Several sources say there has been strain, in part because Tull kicked off the deal in 2014 with a couple of clunkers that he put through Universal's distribution system and then upset some at the studio who feel he has indulged a bad habit of wrapping himself in credit for hits that he merely helped finance. In this case, the film at issue was the biggest movie of the year to date, Jurassic World.

Known as a brash fanboy with a knack for raising big money, Tull, 43, brought potentially hundreds of millions of dollars in film financing to Universal after his relationship with Warners soured amid similar reports of tension over that studio's perception that he grabbed credit for Christopher Nolan's Batman movies and other hits on which he was a financing partner. (In a 2009 Wall Street Journal profile, for example, Tull said Legendary had made The Dark Knight.) "That will always be his biggest problem," says a source close to Warners. "Not just saying, 'Thank you.' " Legendary, Warners and Universal declined comment, but a source with ties to Tull notes that both studios "certainly decided to cash his checks."

n a twist, following Universal's decision to pass on Kong — with a budget north of $125 million — Warners is stepping in with a three-picture deal that kicks off with Kong; followed by a sequel to 2014's Godzilla, the biggest Warners hit originated by Legendary ($529 million worldwide); followed by a mashup that pits the ape against Godzilla. Warners is said to be kicking in 25 percent of budgets as well as marketing costs on the Kong films.

One industry veteran notes that the deal brings Tull "back to Warners, which was thrilled to see him leave." But a studio insider says a broader deal between Warners and Legendary won't happen in the foreseeable future because WB is happy with its financing partnership with James Packer and Brett Ratner's RatPac Entertainment.

It's still early days in the relationship between Legendary and Universal. But things got off to an inauspicious start as the deal required the studio to distribute two existing Legendary-backed films: Michael Mann's $70 million Blackhat, which was released in January and grossed a paltry $17.8 million worldwide, and Seventh Son, a $95 million-plus fantasy that reached only $111 million worldwide. (Universal lost no money on those films but spent manpower on releasing them didn't relish the association with them.)

Universal has invested in three Legendary projects: the $15 million horror movie Krampus (Dec. 4); the ambitious Warcraft, based on the video game (June 10); and The Great Wall, a Matt Damon sci-fi action film directed by Zhang Yimou for November 2016. (Tull shares "original story" credit on Great Wall.) Several sources say the latter two are seen as "problem movies" that have heightened concerns on the part of Universal studio chief Donna Langley.

Meanwhile, Legendary opted into two big Universal hits: It took 25 percent of Jurassic World, which was a smart bet because it has grossed $1.7 billion worldwide, and 50 percent of the moderately budgeted Straight Outta Compton, which has earned $181 million. Legendary also invested in Danny Boyle's awards hopeful Steve Jobs (Oct. 9).

Kong is not the first Legendary film in which Universal has declined to participate. This spring, the studio bowed out of paying for half of Guillermo del Toro's Crimson Peak (Oct. 16). The studio had said it would share the cost only if the film got a PG-13 rating; a source says Langley believed the movie cost too much for an R rating. With del Toro now having delivered an R, Legendary is footing the whole bill.

Legendary wanted to produce a sequel to del Toro's Pacific Rim, which was made under the Warners deal and turned into one of those films that grosses a lot ($411 million worldwide) while being so costly that a follow-up isn't a sure thing. Sources say Legendary liked that the original performed exceptionally well in China, where the company is heavily invested, but for now the project — which had been ramping up to make a release date in August 2017 — has been halted indefinitely and will be pushed back (if it gets made at all).

Some industry insiders assumed King Kong was a Universal property, probably because of Peter Jackson's 2005 film and the theme park attraction, but the material is in the public domain. Tull wanted Universal to kick in 25 percent of the new film's budget, and sources say some at the studio were excited about the idea of a new Kong movie. But "when you're taking a big swing like that," says an insider, "you'd better have your shit together." And Universal was not convinced that such was the state of Legendary's project. But Legendary attorney Skip Brittenham says Tull has talked for years of making a movie that would matchup Kong and Godzilla and asked Universal to let the project go to Warners.

Now that Legendary has moved Kong, that settles a brewing argument over the script's references to Monarch, the secret government entity in Godzilla that employed the characters played by Ken Watanabe and Sally Hawkins. Obviously, the inclusion of Monarch in Kong is a move to tie the ape into a hoped-for Godzilla "universe." Warners, which held onto the right to participate in any Godzilla sequel, did not relish the idea of a Godzilla element in a Universal-backed Kong movie.

A threshold problem is that Kong supposedly is much smaller than Godzilla. That fact was not lost on Universal. "There were funny comments about him having to be the size of the Empire State Building instead of hanging off of it," says a studio insider. But a source close to Tull says Legendary is confident it can come up with a rationale to explain how Kong and Godzilla can do battle — and possibly become allies.

Sources with ties to both Legendary and Universal point out that the deal between the two was engineered by NBCUniversal CEO Steve Burke just before the ouster of Adam Fogelson as Universal's film chairman. Burke was said at the time to have been enamored with Tull's company and to have promised him nearly unfettered access to Universal projects (minus Fast & Furious, Minions movies and Ted). Universal had no major financing partner at the time, and though it was showing signs of life with Fast & Furious 6 and Identity Thief, it also had costly disappointments like R.I.P.D. and 47 Ronin.

But after Universal's record-setting year at the box office, says a person with knowledge of the situation from the studio's perspective, things have changed: "Donna Langley is ascendant and carrying far more weight with [Universal Filmed Entertainment Group chairman] Jeff Shell, Burke and [Comcast chairman and CEO] Brian Roberts than Thomas Tull. That was not Thomas Tull's plan." And given Universal's dazzling run, says another person close to the studio, "They have the right to be really selective. They're riding on top of the world right now."
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: King Kong vs Godzilla 2020

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:12 pm

Warner Bros Sets King Kong Vs Godzilla, As Deadline Told You Last Month
Following Legendary’s and Warner Bros. Pictures’ 2014 success with the global reinvention of the Godzilla franchise, the companies have come together to create an epic, new shared cinematic franchise. All-powerful monsters become towering heroes for a new generation, revealing a mythology that brings together Godzilla and Legendary’s King Kong in an ecosystem of other giant super-species, both classic and new. Monarch, the human organization that uncovered Godzilla in the 2014 film, will expand their mission across multiple releases.

The announcement that the reinvention of monsters continues was made today by Legendary CEO, Thomas Tull, and Kevin Tsujihara, Chairman and CEO, Warner Bros. The initial trio of films are 2017’s KONG: SKULL ISLAND; GODZILLA 2 in 2018; and then GODZILLA VS. KONG, arriving in theaters in 2020. While Legendary maintains its new home at Universal Pictures, the GODZILLA films remain in partnership with Warner Bros., who will now also distribute KONG as a part of this franchise. Production on KONG: SKULL ISLAND begins October 19th.

Warner Bros. and Legendary released Godzilla in May 2014 with an agreement to release Godzilla 2 on June 8, 2018. Both films feature the human Monarch organization. Shortly following Legendary’s pact with NBC Universal, Legendary acquired rights to additional classic characters from Toho’s Godzilla universe, including Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah. This paved the way for developing a franchise centered around Monarch and anchored by Godzilla, King Kong, and other famous creatures.

When Legendary announced films centered on Godzilla and Kong, fans all over the world speculated these two characters might one day meet in the same film. Classic Toho monsters including King Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan, as announced at Comic-Con 2014, may also join the Legendary pantheon of giant monster mayhem going forward.

“Audiences really responded to Godzilla,” stated Tull. “Today, I’m excited to reveal that film was only the beginning of an epic new entertainment universe. As a lifelong fan of these characters, I’ve always wanted to see the ultimate showdown, and today we’re pleased to be announcing that and more.”

“Working with our partners at Legendary, we enjoyed tremendous creative and commercial success with `Godzilla,’” said Tsujihara. “It’s great to be able to revisit these characters and help create a franchise with so many creative possibilities for filmmakers. Fans love these big, globally iconic films and it doesn’t get any bigger than this.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:13 pm

TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 13, 2016 3:01 pm

‘Godzilla 2,’ ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’ Stomp Out New Release Dates
Warner Bros. is releasing an untitled event film on Christmas 2018 and delaying an untitled DC movie
Jeff Sneider wrote:Warner Bros. has announced it is moving Gareth Edwards‘ “Godzilla 2” from June 8, 2018 to March 22, 2019. The studio has also dated its creature feature “Godzilla vs. Kong” for May 29, 2020.

Additionally, the studio will release an untitled event film on Dec. 25, 2018, while an untitled DC movie is moving from June 19, 2020 to July 24, 2020.

WB’s decision moves “Godzilla 2” off the same date as Paramount’s “Transformers 6,” though it will now square off against Paramount’s original animated movie “Amusement Park,” which is expected to cater to a younger audience.

The monster mash-up “Godzilla vs. Kong” currently has its release date all to itself, as the only other movie currently slated to open that month is an untitled Marvel movie in early May.

Meanwhile, WB’s event film will go head-to-head with an untitled, live-action Disney movie that opens the same day, while Sony’s animated “Spider-Man” movie will open four days earlier on Dec. 21.

Finally, the untitled DC movie, which is believed to be “Green Lantern Corps,” will now arrive two weeks after new films from Marvel and Illumination.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:54 am

'Godzilla vs. Kong' Film Sets Writers Room (Exclusive)
Terry Rossio, known for his work on the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' movies, will head the crack creature crew.

GODZILLA Unmade: The History of Jan De Bont’s Unproduced TriStar Film – Part 1 of 4

GODZILLA written by Ted Elliott & Terry Rossio

THR:
'Skull Island': Kong Motion-Capture Actor on Sequel Plans and Seeking Andy Serkis' Blessing 

Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio (Part 2)
Individual questions now on your various projects. For each of these I would really appreciate a brief note on what you contributed to the script, and how happy you were with the finished film. First, Little Monsters - where did this come from, and how did you manage to get it made?

TR:
“The film was based on my original (unpublished) short story ... really just a snippet, that Ted liked and was able to flesh out in an amazing way. We wrote an original screenplay, which caught the interest of a couple of producers, and sold to MGM. Neither of us much like the finished film. A common occurrence for us - people buy the script and throw it out, and what they replace it with is obviously not as good ... obvious to everybody, of course, except the people in charge.”

On The Puppet Masters, how faithful to Heinlein did you try to be or were you allowed to be?

TR:
“Our original screenplay was very faithful to Heinlein. Yet another project where our original script was not followed. It's a shame, too; I still believe that book could make a great movie.“

TE: “Actually, early in the process - I think before we turned in our first draft, even - we suggested the novel could give birth to a franchise, about government agents who investigate all types of strange and bizarre pseudo-scientific occurrences. The studio didn't see that potential at all. Of course, a couple of years later, The X-Files premiered (although I was actually thinking more in terms of UFO, an earlier aliens-and-conspiracy-type program).”

TR: “The finished film is pretty terrible. Key stuff from the book was jettisoned. The end result was a film that seemed derivative; ironic, since Heinlein's work was actually the original exploration of so many ideas; he was almost always there first.”

Why aren't you credited on Men in Black, and is it good or bad that your work on this film is an open secret?

TR:
“We aren't credited on Men in Black because the WGA didn't award us credit. Over the years, we've determined there isn't much logic to how credits are assigned by the WGA. As it turns out, pretty much no one knows that we worked on Men in Black; it is in no way an 'open secret.' Even Sony, the studio who released the film, doesn't remember that we worked on it.”

Now for your unfilmed version of Godzilla. Oh man, so many questions! How did you cope with the difference between Western and Asian views of the Big G, especially the determination of Western audiences and critics to deride even the best Godzilla movies as Godzilla Vs Megalon-level crap? What instructions did you have from Toho? Why did you feel it important to create a second monster? Where would you like to see (a) the American Godzilla series, and (b) the revived Japanese Godzilla series, go? Which is your favourite Godzilla film, and which do you think is the best one (not necessarily the same thing)? Sorry to get carried away, but I'm a huge Godzilla fan...

TR: “It was obvious to us that audiences wanted two things from a Godzilla movie: they wanted to be scared of this big unstoppable monster, and they wanted to root for him to kick ass in the end. Godzilla is, after all, the hero. That's why we invented a story that involved a second monster. In the film that was made, neither aspect is provided: Godzilla runs and hides, and we never get to root for him. Stupid mistakes, really.”

TE: “We wanted a second monster because we wanted to move Godzilla from where he was in the first movie - unstoppable destroyer who had to be stopped - to where he was at the end of the third movie - defender of the earth, but still not someone you want stopping by unless it's really, absolutely necessary. A friend of mine, a big G-fan from way back, once said about Godzilla that, ‘It's not that he's a good guy - he just hates other monsters.’

“I think the first one - the original, not the recut/redubbed/Raymond Burr-added American release - is the best one. And you can't beat Monster Zero for a great enemy, can you? After that, they all kind of blend together for me. I've liked some of the remakes/updates ... but that first one, with the skeleton at the bottom of the sea ... great stuff.

“By the way, I am convinced that the whole ‘Godzilla is a metaphor for the A-bomb; analysis is wrong. In the original movie, the scientist who unleashes the weapon which kills Godzilla - metaphorically stopping the A-bomb - takes his own life afterwards. Had he died because he was trying to unleash the weapon, I would buy it - ‘We must make sacrifices necessary to prevent this from ever happening again.’ Naw, I think Godzilla is a metaphor for forces unleashed by man which he has no control over, for which he cannot predict the results, and for which he refuses to take responsibility. This makes the scientist's actions both correct to the metaphor, and makes him undeniably the hero of the movie. And I wish I could remember his name.”

TR: “In the end, there's not much use in our answering questions about Godzilla. It would make as much sense to ask questions about James Bond, or Indiana Jones. Because we've never written a Bond film, or an Indiana Jones film - or a Godzilla film. The Godzilla film that got made didn't have anything to do with our work. Our credit on the film is just another testament to the vagaries of the WGA credit arbitration process.”

TE: “I think it did have something to do with our work, with the basic approach we took to Godzilla - that he had to be presented as a serious threat, as something real. No dancing the jig or playing hoops with Charles Berkeley. That may sound like a no-brainer to Godzilla fans, but at the time we got the assignment, we were the only ones thinking that way. In fact, Devlin and Emmerich had been offered the project before we were, and turned it down because they didn't think Godzilla could be done except as an Airplane!-type spoof.

“Later, after the movie was completed, we met Dean Devlin - the first and only time we'd ever spoken to him - and he said that it was reading our screenplay convinced them that it could be done seriously. Of course, they then chucked our screenplay and did their own, borrowing a few key elements from our story (specifically, Godzilla travelling toward New York with a purpose - although in ours, his purpose was to fight another monster, not to lay a bunch of eggs). So in a way, the Godzilla movie that got made was due to us - but it sure wasn't the Godzilla movie we wanted to see made. This is getting a little monotonous, isn't it? Let's talk about Aladdin some more.”

How much liaison did you have with Neil Gaiman when writing your unproduced version of Sandman? What particular problems does his unusual outlook and imagination present to an adaptor?

TE: “The hardest thing we had to do on Sandman was find a way to retell Gaiman's stories as a movie without losing what made those stories special in the first place. Our challenge was to do something which Neil had done with myths and legends in the pages of Sandman - telling them in a new way, which was not in violation of the way they were told originally.”

TR: “That's a script that I still think we nailed perfectly. And part of why it's good is because it's far more Gaiman than us. Which is one way an adaptation can work. We met several times with Neil, and it was great to know he approved of the work. The problem - which I still cannot fathom - is how the folk at Warner Bros could spend money to acquire the Sandman property ... and then want to throw it out. His work is among the best fiction ever written, in any form. Why throw it away?”

Please just tell me everything you're allowed to about your Iron Man project at this stage - the world (well, the readership of SFX) is agog.

TR:
“As usual, our goals for this project are high. We want to do a smart, tightly plotted, effective superhero movie, with a real character at the heart of it all, and never-before seen action sequences. Why lower your standards just because it's a comic book? The most exciting thing for us is what a perfect time it is for this story. We live in a time when power is being shifted from governments to industry. When Bill Gates becomes the most powerful man on the planet, you hope to hell that somehow he develops a moral centre, for the sake of us all. That's part of what we want to do with Tony Stark.

“Happily, nobody has really done the definitive realistic superhero movie. The movies (for whatever reason) always take a step back, and don't take it seriously. But to fans, the stories are all real - they may be fun, they may have humour, they may be over the top ... but no fan ever thinks twice about whether it really happened. So we have an opportunity here to do a superhero the way everyone wants to see it.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Tue May 30, 2017 10:30 pm

'Godzilla vs. Kong' Finds Its Director With Adam Wingard (Exclusive)
Terry Rossio, best known for co-writing the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' movies, led a writers room earlier in the spring.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Movie News