X-MEN Apocalypse

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

X-MEN Apocalypse

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:56 pm

Is anyone else a bit indifferent toward these X-Men movies now?

I like that the villains are a bit different to the generic robot things you get the Marvel movies, but the characters are just wholly uninteresting at this point.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: X-MEN Apocalypse

Postby so sorry on Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:14 pm

I've lost my way with the X Men movies...I have no idea what's going on at this point and what time period this one's set in etc.
It looked like it was current day, but it was the "young" version of Professor X. Is it set in the 70s still?

But to answer your question, yeah I'm totally indifferent to these flicks.

http://io9.com/every-bit-of-information-revealed-by-the-x-men-apocaly-1747533394

Here's a scene by scene breakdown if you're interested.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:47 pm

I think they're in the 80s at this point, but I can't be sure as they're obviously a bit science fictiony and take a few liberties.

I also seem to remember that the last X-men movie appeared to retcon the events of X-men 3 in some fashion, but I don't know if that matters.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:05 pm

Yeah it's the '80s now.

I actually thought that looked promising, but I check out a little bit when the villain's master plan is destroying the world and then... living on top of the ashes of the destroyed world, or something (Age of Ultron, First Class, Fantastic Four... probably a million other superhero movies I'm forgetting now). It's a pretty lame plan.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:27 pm

I have lost interest in these movies. The last one I enjoyed was First Class.

The characters are not engaging and they seem to be going the route of Age of Ultron...too many characters, not interesting enough....blah. That was my take anyways.
Maui
WoWie

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:33 pm

nightcrawler looked cool. the new X-uniforms, not so much.

i'm glad to finally see a superhero movie where THE FATE OF THE ENTIRE WORLD isn't at stake.... oh wait.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:01 pm

Mizwerbal bastards.

I think it looks great!
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby tapehead on Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:30 pm

Better than Batman V Superman

*faint praise*
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Peven on Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:53 pm

why not just make it all cgi/motion-capture? it looks more cartoonish than an animated movie, spectacle overload, same problem Avengers 2 had, more is less......

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fievel on Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:29 pm

Peven wrote:why not just make it all cgi/motion-capture? it looks more cartoonish than an animated movie, spectacle overload, same problem Avengers 2 had, more is less......

I think that's why some of the individual Marvel stories are better than the large ensemble pieces (Iron Man, Captain America (1&2), etc.). Although Cap 2 was more of an ensemble piece..... But yeah, they haven't quite managed to balance story with spectacle. I'm getting that problem vibe with Batman vs Superman, too.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:15 pm

Fievel wrote:
Peven wrote:why not just make it all cgi/motion-capture? it looks more cartoonish than an animated movie, spectacle overload, same problem Avengers 2 had, more is less......

I think that's why some of the individual Marvel stories are better than the large ensemble pieces (Iron Man, Captain America (1&2), etc.). Although Cap 2 was more of an ensemble piece..... But yeah, they haven't quite managed to balance story with spectacle. I'm getting that problem vibe with Batman vs Superman, too.

have you checked out Daredevil and Jessica Jones on Netflix? they are the antithesis to to the mega-budget over-the-top spectacle comic movies. both REALLY good

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:52 pm

I will say it looks good. Plenty of female leads/supporting roles, not fetishised solely for their asses. Am genuinely interested in the Jlaw character arc, and well, it's Sophie Turner. Not having Spidey has seriously dented the avengers for the kind of lightheartedness that the rest cannot hope to bring with all their gravitASS (couldn't resist).
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Ribbons on Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:44 am

Hey, at least Apocalypse doesn't look like Ivan Ooze from the Power Rangers movie anymore, right?

...right? :P
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:29 pm

I seem to remember the villains in the Power Rangers TV show looking like that.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby papalazeru on Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:25 am

Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby so sorry on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:42 am

papalazeru wrote:

That screen cap is hilarious. Looks like something from the Power Rangers.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:38 pm

The problem with Apocalypse is that things have get apocalyptic. Even if the X-Men obviously stop him, everything has gone to shit already.

So they either have to not let things get very apocalyptic (thus it's a bit of let down) - or they have to undo everything at the end (which works occasionally in comics, but doesn't always sit well with live action).

Marvel and DC will have to tackle the same issue when they bring Thanos, Galactus and Darkseid into movies.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:43 pm

they could always just cancel the apocalypse.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby papalazeru on Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:49 pm

TheBaxter wrote:they could always just cancel the apocalypse.

Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:15 pm

New trailer. Looks okay but I'm definitely feeling indifferent towards the movie in general:

Those with keen ears will recognize the conversation at the beginning of the preview from the end of the first X-Men movie.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Peven on Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:38 pm

it just seems like a bigger, more complicated version of the last movie

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:33 pm

Ribbons wrote:New trailer. Looks okay but I'm definitely feeling indifferent towards the movie in general.

I feel that way about most comics nowadays. So maybe this is an entirely faithful comic adaptation - so faithful to the comics that you won't want to bother picking it up off the shelf.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:08 pm

You might be onto something there. Man, that's a depressing thought. If I've stopped getting excited over superhero movies the next few years are gonna suck.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:31 am

the superhero genre is just way oversaturated right now. and every single one seems to boil down to some version of saving the entire world from whatever new alien superpowered interdimensional god being presence is threatening it. you can only tell the same story so many times.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:48 am

TheBaxter wrote:the superhero genre is just way oversaturated right now. and every single one seems to boil down to some version of saving the entire world from whatever new alien superpowered interdimensional god being presence is threatening it. you can only tell the same story so many times.

But wait, the NEXT superpowered interdimensional god being will be from an ALTERNATE universe! So its a brand new story see?
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby so sorry on Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:39 pm

Lots of screaming!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:40 pm

so sorry wrote:

Lots of screaming!

almost as much screaming as there will be in the pr0n version, XXX-Men: A-cock-a-lips
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:20 pm

They seem to have a knack for picking the most embarrassing thumbnails
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fievel on Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:23 pm

Ribbons wrote:They seem to have a knack for picking the most embarrassing thumbnails

Or the perfect one....

...giggidy!
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Peven on Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:54 pm

I think I liked this trailer best. still not entirely sold, but warming up to seeing it at the theatre

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 12, 2016 8:28 pm

SPOILERS

AICN:
Harry survives X-MEN: APOCALYPSE to tell the tale!!! Oscar Isaac can do anything!
APOCALYPSE has something in common with Superman in QUEST FOR PEACE. And I loved that.

Forbes:
'X-Men: Apocalypse' Review:
It's A Franchise-Killing Disaster

X-Men: Apocalypse: EW review
On paper, Bryan Singer’s X-Men: Apocalypse is ostensibly about an ancient super-mutant wiping clean the sins of mankind and a new generation embracing their destiny. On screen, however, it turns out to be about a franchise taking a giant step backwards. After the rejuvenated one-two punch of 2011’s First Class and 2014’s Days of Future Past, there was reason to expect better. A lot better. But Apocalypse feels like a confused, kitchen-sink mess with a half dozen too many characters, a villain who amounts to a big blue nothing, and a narrative that’s so choppy and poorly cut together that it feels like you’re watching a flipbook instead of a movie.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheBaxter on Fri May 13, 2016 2:57 am

TheButcher wrote:

SPOILERS

AICN:
Harry survives X-MEN: APOCALYPSE to tell the tale!!! Oscar Isaac can do anything!
APOCALYPSE has something in common with Superman in QUEST FOR PEACE. And I loved that.

Forbes:
'X-Men: Apocalypse' Review:
It's A Franchise-Killing Disaster

X-Men: Apocalypse: EW review
On paper, Bryan Singer’s X-Men: Apocalypse is ostensibly about an ancient super-mutant wiping clean the sins of mankind and a new generation embracing their destiny. On screen, however, it turns out to be about a franchise taking a giant step backwards. After the rejuvenated one-two punch of 2011’s First Class and 2014’s Days of Future Past, there was reason to expect better. A lot better. But Apocalypse feels like a confused, kitchen-sink mess with a half dozen too many characters, a villain who amounts to a big blue nothing, and a narrative that’s so choppy and poorly cut together that it feels like you’re watching a flipbook instead of a movie.

Art Imitates Life

There is a scene in the 80’s set X-Men: Apocalypse where a young Jean Grey (Sophie Turner) and Scott Summers (Tye Sheridan) exit a showing of Return of the Jedi and argue the merits of the various Star Wars films. The participants discuss “Empire Strikes Back was better” versus “Star Wars started it all” before coming to a consensus that the third films always stink.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17118&p=66453&hilit=jedi#p66453
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby so sorry on Fri May 13, 2016 9:12 am

TheBaxter wrote:Art Imitates Life

There is a scene in the 80’s set X-Men: Apocalypse where a young Jean Grey (Sophie Turner) and Scott Summers (Tye Sheridan) exit a showing of Return of the Jedi and argue the merits of the various Star Wars films. The participants discuss “Empire Strikes Back was better” versus “Star Wars started it all” before coming to a consensus that the third films always stink.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17118&p=66453&hilit=jedi#p66453

IPAMPILASH!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Sat May 14, 2016 3:11 am

And in other news, it sounds like X-Men: Apocalypse has a case of terminal same-ness:

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/review-x-men-apocalypse-should-please-fans-but-its-awfully-familiar-fare
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: X-Rated X-Men?

Postby TheButcher on Thu May 26, 2016 7:40 pm

‘X-Men: Apocalypse’ Review: Strong Start, Sloppy Finish
But still well worth seeing for Quicksilver and Nightcrawler alone.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 27, 2016 5:07 am

The Consistent Link: Simon Kinberg on X-Men: Apocalypse
Christopher McKittrick wrote:
You also co-wrote X-Men: The Last Stand.
Was it you who came up with the “the third movie is always the worst” joke in X-Men: Apocalypse?

To be honest, I don’t remember who came up with it. Certainly it was something I was aware that it would poke fun at X3. It was also a bit dangerous because First Class and Days of Future Past are very good films and it potentially puts Apocalypse in the crosshairs as well. It was just a joke that I thought people would get a chuckle out of. We’re ten years away from X3 and we felt that if Deadpool can make fun of X-Men movies, we can too.

EXCLUSIVE: Talking 'X-MEN: APOCALYPSE,' 'STAR WARS' and More with Simon Kinberg
Kellvin Chavez wrote:LRM:
It's good to see Cyclops in traditional X-Men garb instead of a black leather suit.

Simon Kinberg:

Yeah, that was something that was important to Bryan Singer. He wanted to ...

Apocalypse has the best Wolverine scene ever!
They finally got it right.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 28, 2016 3:05 am

X-MEN: APOCALYPSE Review: A Fiasco That Dares Taint Oscar Isaac
This terrible franchise now has a new low point.
DEVIN FARACI wrote:The previous X-films have established that Bryan Singer doesn’t particularly care for the X-Men as comic book characters; over the course of his films he has misused, underutilized or bizarrely mutilated characters and storylines from the comics. But with X-Men: Apocalypse Singer proves he doesn’t even care for the other X-Men movies, as evidenced by his shockingly cavalier attitude towards the most basic continuity with the last film… which he directed!
At the end of the last movie we left Mystique standing mutant and proud… and yet here she is once again hiding her true form at every opportunity. And at the end of the last film we saw Wolverine being picked up by Stryker, the guy who originally made him feral, took away his memories and gave him adamantium on his bones. Except - and this was major - it was Mystique pretending to be Stryker! The timeline had been changed… until it turns out in Apocalypse that Wolverine is, in fact, captured by Stryker. How does a filmmaker forget a detail like that from his own previous film? It isn’t even like Singer was directing a Jack and the Beanstalk sequel between these movies!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 28, 2016 3:37 am

The Hollywood Reporter:
This story spoils elements of X-Men: Apocalypse.
For those who haven't seen the movie, stop reading right now.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:04 pm

Box Office: 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2' Sluggish Friday for $27M-$30M Debut
That's likely enough to win the box-offce race ahead of 'X-Men: Apocalypse,' but trails the first 'TMNT'
Pamela McClintock and Rebecca Ford wrote:X-Men: Apocalypse is on course to gross $8 million on Friday for a second-weekend take in the $26 million range, a decline of more than 60 percent. Worldwide, the Fox tentpole is crossing the $300 million mark.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby Peven on Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:27 pm

this and TMNT are the double feature playing at the local drive-in this weekend, hard to beat for $6 to see both.........too bad I have no one to go with :oops: :(

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby TheButcher on Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:56 am

ScreenRant:
What Simon Kinberg Learned From X-Men: Apocalypse
Daniel Ricwulf wrote:In a recent interview with ComingSoon.net, Kinberg talks about what went wrong in the most recent X-chapter, and how he plans to rectify it in the future:
“As the writer of it, I thought when we started the movie and when I wrote the movie that we were telling the story of a family splitting apart and coming back together. In the final movie its in there, but it’s a little buried, and the movie on the surface became about a guy who wanted to destroy the world. The guy that wanted to destroy the world is a superhero movie from 25, 30 years ago. Today’s superhero movies that we love the most –the Dark Knight movies, Guardians of the Galaxy, the first Iron Man movie, those are movies about human beings in relatable circumstances that happen to have super powers.

“I think Apocalypse became more about global stakes than human stakes. That’s the lesson I learned from the movie, that human and personal stakes always trump global stakes. It’s something that Bryan did, if you go back to the first X-Men movie, what Magneto’s trying to do is something global in scale, but ultimately it’s about saving Rogue. The movie is about Wolverine and Rogue, a guy who doesn’t want to be connected to anybody and a girl who’s lost. They find each other, and in finding each other they find each other with the X-Men. It was a brilliant way of telling that story. I think with Apocalypse we got away from that a little bit. Maybe we all got a little enamored in the possibility of seeing the world get destroyed and do some things in terms of scale and scope that we haven’t done in the X-Men movies. Scale and scope don’t matter. Audiences today know it’s fake, they’ve seen the world blow up a million times in video games and movies.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Movie News