STAR WARS - Original Theatrical Release - 720p on YouTube

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

STAR WARS - Original Theatrical Release - 720p on YouTube

Postby RaulMonkey on Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:57 pm

Don't know how, but it's been up since May and has only 4000 views.

https://youtu.be/d8n40bjNNQs

User avatar
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR
 
Posts: 3396
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:12 am
Location: YYC

STAR WARS - Original Theatrical Release

Postby TheButcher on Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:11 am

THR:
'Star Wars': Watch All the Changes Made to 'A New Hope' Through the Years
Last edited by TheButcher on Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: STAR WARS - Original Theatrical Release -

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:09 am

Gareth Edwards Says Disney’s Sitting On A 4K Restoration Of STAR WARS
But which version? And what're they gonna do with it?
SCOTT WAMPLER wrote:In a new interview with Little White Lies, Rogue One director Gareth Edwards casually reveals that Disney recently completed work on a 4K restoration of Star Wars: A New Hope.


The Playlist:
Kevin Jagernauth wrote:Fox still has the distribution rights, and next year is the 40th anniversary of “Star Wars.” It’s entirely possible that Fox releases the original next year, and brings it to home video too — they don’t need any cooperation from Disney, and it would be a huge hit. That said, they’ll likely still get in touch with the mouse house to figure out how to best maximize the opportunity, especially with “Star Wars: Episode VIII” on the horizon. (Imagine if the first teaser for the ‘VIII’ came in front of the re-release of ‘A New Hope’? That would be something).
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: STAR WARS - Original Theatrical Release -

Postby so sorry on Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:54 am

TheButcher wrote:Gareth Edwards Says Disney’s Sitting On A 4K Restoration Of STAR WARS
But which version? And what're they gonna do with it?
SCOTT WAMPLER wrote:In a new interview with Little White Lies, Rogue One director Gareth Edwards casually reveals that Disney recently completed work on a 4K restoration of Star Wars: A New Hope.


The Playlist:
Kevin Jagernauth wrote:Fox still has the distribution rights, and next year is the 40th anniversary of “Star Wars.” It’s entirely possible that Fox releases the original next year, and brings it to home video too — they don’t need any cooperation from Disney, and it would be a huge hit. That said, they’ll likely still get in touch with the mouse house to figure out how to best maximize the opportunity, especially with “Star Wars: Episode VIII” on the horizon. (Imagine if the first teaser for the ‘VIII’ came in front of the re-release of ‘A New Hope’? That would be something).



So the big debate now is wether or not this supposed 4K restoration print is from the ORIGINAL 35mm film or from the already-fuced with 2K restoration that Lucas did.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15442
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: STAR WARS 4K?

Postby TheButcher on Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:06 pm

CELEBRATING ROCKY’S 40TH, PLUS DEAD OR ALIVE, DOCTOR STRANGE, ROGUE ONE & STAR WARS IN 4K?
Bill Hunt wrote:Speaking of Star Wars, this is a very interesting (and completely unsurprising) revelation: The Little White Lies website has a new interview with director Gareth Edwards in which he reveals that Lucasfilm has a brand new 4K restoration of A New Hope. It’s not clear if this is the original 1977 version or some version of the Special Edition, but in order to even be able to create a 4K Special Edition, you’d have to first scan all the original negative in 4K. And Disney is not the kind of studio that takes a chance of losing their most valuable film assets. So we would bet a lot of money they have an original version in 4K, and probably Empire and Jedi too. When we might see them is a different question. Meanwhile, give the piece a look.
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: STAR WARS - Original Theatrical Release - 720p on YouTub

Postby TheButcher on Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:12 am

Making Star Wars:
RUMOR: THE UNALTERED ORIGINAL STAR WARS TRILOGY TO BE RE-RELEASED THIS YEAR?
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: STAR WARS - Original Theatrical Release - 720p on YouTub

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:09 am

TheButcher wrote:Making Star Wars:
RUMOR: THE UNALTERED ORIGINAL STAR WARS TRILOGY TO BE RE-RELEASED THIS YEAR?


i'll see it when i believe it.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18924
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: STAR WARS - Original Theatrical Release - 720p on YouTub

Postby so sorry on Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:28 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
TheButcher wrote:Making Star Wars:
RUMOR: THE UNALTERED ORIGINAL STAR WARS TRILOGY TO BE RE-RELEASED THIS YEAR?


i'll see it when i believe it.



What's the point? Re-release the original versions on what, blueray? Then its not "original" if its gettting up-rezed for that format right? Which means that they'd be making the "original" but remastered, then is it the original anymore? Do I really want to see giant black boxes around tie fighters on my 42 in 1080p TV in hires?

I have the originals on VHS. I'm good!

Actually...I don't have a VCR player anymore...so even if i wanted to watch the originals I can't.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15442
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: STAR WARS - Original Theatrical Release - 720p on YouTub

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:02 pm

so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
TheButcher wrote:Making Star Wars:
RUMOR: THE UNALTERED ORIGINAL STAR WARS TRILOGY TO BE RE-RELEASED THIS YEAR?


i'll see it when i believe it.



What's the point? Re-release the original versions on what, blueray? Then its not "original" if its gettting up-rezed for that format right? Which means that they'd be making the "original" but remastered, then is it the original anymore? Do I really want to see giant black boxes around tie fighters on my 42 in 1080p TV in hires?

I have the originals on VHS. I'm good!

Actually...I don't have a VCR player anymore...so even if i wanted to watch the originals I can't.


well that's the point. so you can watch them again. nobody has VCRs anymore.

they won't be "up-rezzed" because even the most hi-def of digital formats doesn't have the resolution of an analog format like film. even a 4K master won't have the same amount of information and detail as the original film. i think what we all want is a version of the film that has the usual clean-up of a typical older film being released digitally, but with all of the original CONTENT of the original version. you can digitally clean up the matte boxes from the old effects, color correct, de-noise, etc. basically the standard stuff that doesn't affect the content of the film, only the visual quality of the presentation. it's the stuff that was added or changed from the original, the stupid CGI animals, the poop jokes, the extra scenes, Han shooting last, that kind of stuff that needs to be gotten rid of.

i hope they'll actually do a decent conversion/restoration of the ORIGINAL version of the film, like you would do for any film of this caliber, and not use the whole "original version" thing as an excuse to be lazy. the fact that Lucas and his passive-aggressive "they hated Jar-Jar so fuck 'em, you want the original versions, here they are on the back of a DVD in non-anamorphic, crappy prints" attitude is no longer involved means hopefully there's at least a chance they are released and done up properly.

assuming that this is even happening at all, which it might not be.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18924
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: STAR WARS - Original Theatrical Release - 720p on YouTub

Postby so sorry on Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:30 pm

TheBaxter wrote:
so sorry wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:
TheButcher wrote:Making Star Wars:
RUMOR: THE UNALTERED ORIGINAL STAR WARS TRILOGY TO BE RE-RELEASED THIS YEAR?


i'll see it when i believe it.



What's the point? Re-release the original versions on what, blueray? Then its not "original" if its gettting up-rezed for that format right? Which means that they'd be making the "original" but remastered, then is it the original anymore? Do I really want to see giant black boxes around tie fighters on my 42 in 1080p TV in hires?

I have the originals on VHS. I'm good!

Actually...I don't have a VCR player anymore...so even if i wanted to watch the originals I can't.


well that's the point. so you can watch them again. nobody has VCRs anymore.

they won't be "up-rezzed" because even the most hi-def of digital formats doesn't have the resolution of an analog format like film. even a 4K master won't have the same amount of information and detail as the original film. i think what we all want is a version of the film that has the usual clean-up of a typical older film being released digitally, but with all of the original CONTENT of the original version. you can digitally clean up the matte boxes from the old effects, color correct, de-noise, etc. basically the standard stuff that doesn't affect the content of the film, only the visual quality of the presentation. it's the stuff that was added or changed from the original, the stupid CGI animals, the poop jokes, the extra scenes, Han shooting last, that kind of stuff that needs to be gotten rid of.

i hope they'll actually do a decent conversion/restoration of the ORIGINAL version of the film, like you would do for any film of this caliber, and not use the whole "original version" thing as an excuse to be lazy. the fact that Lucas and his passive-aggressive "they hated Jar-Jar so fuck 'em, you want the original versions, here they are on the back of a DVD in non-anamorphic, crappy prints" attitude is no longer involved means hopefully there's at least a chance they are released and done up properly.

assuming that this is even happening at all, which it might not be.


I wonder what happened to the rights to such matters when Lucas sold to Disney? Can even a thing be done?
Btw I understand most of the technical stuff you referred to, I guess my point was poorly made: if they don't do the "fixes" that come with restorations, then what would be the point? I guess they wouldn't waste their time unless they DID do the restorations.
User avatar
so sorry
Deacon Blues
 
Posts: 15442
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:29 am

Re: STAR WARS - Original Theatrical Release - 720p on YouTub

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:36 pm

so sorry wrote: I wonder what happened to the rights to such matters when Lucas sold to Disney? Can even a thing be done?

As I understand it:

- Fox retains full rights to Episode 4 in perpetuity.
- Fox retains distribution rights to Episodes 1/2/3/5/6 until 2020.

So Disney aren't going to do it. And I doubt Fox are going to, as it would essentially amount to promoting another studios' franchise.

(At some point, Disney are just going to have to try and buy it from Fox. Bear in mind that in 2020 Disney will by then own eleven other Star Wars movies altogether.)

In terms of "are they allowed to?". The tinkered versions seemed to be a sticking point with Lucas. It wouldn't surprise me if he signed over the company in such a way that the only version that can be released are his authorised versions.
User avatar
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS
 
Posts: 13929
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:28 pm
Location: ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

Re: STAR WARS - Original Theatrical Release - 720p on YouTub

Postby TheButcher on Fri May 26, 2017 7:44 am

User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17418
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage


Return to Movie News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron