Edgar Wright's BABY DRIVER

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Edgar Wright's BABY DRIVER

Postby TheButcher on Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:57 am

User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17114
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage

Re: Edgar Wright's BABY DRIVER

Postby Ribbons on Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:21 pm

Edgar Wright lives! :D

The premise of Baby Driver sounds really, really, really dumb (young man has tinnitus from a tragic car crash that killed his parents, so he became a getaway driver-for-hire who needs to listen to music all the time, which... makes him the best driver in the world?). But I have a feeling this is going to mostly be an exercise in style, and with the level of talent in front of the camera and Edgar Wright behind it, I will almost definitely be there to check it out.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13404
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: Edgar Wright's BABY DRIVER

Postby Peven on Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:22 am

aren't we unfair as viewers/consumers the way we will predispose ourselves to either like or dislike a movie before we see it based on a name attached to it? this is an aspect of perspective that i think is overlooked often that i have been known to rail against here, starting with the infamous X3 vs Superman Returns war.....after which of course I was eventually proven correct when X3 kicked SR's ass at the BO :-P :wink:

seriously, I believe our judgement is obviously affected by a predisposition of like or dislike of who produces creative material, music/movies/etc., and we are unable to truly judge material objectively if we have that predisposition going in.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
User avatar
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 13948
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Edgar Wright's BABY DRIVER

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:17 am

baby driver? how do you a drive a baby? they don't even have steering wheels.
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18318
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Edgar Wright's BABY DRIVER

Postby Ribbons on Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:33 pm

Peven wrote:aren't we unfair as viewers/consumers the way we will predispose ourselves to either like or dislike a movie before we see it based on a name attached to it? this is an aspect of perspective that i think is overlooked often that i have been known to rail against here, starting with the infamous X3 vs Superman Returns war.....after which of course I was eventually proven correct when X3 kicked SR's ass at the BO :-P :wink:

seriously, I believe our judgement is obviously affected by a predisposition of like or dislike of who produces creative material, music/movies/etc., and we are unable to truly judge material objectively if we have that predisposition going in.


I don't know, I don't think it's that weird to look forward to a movie made by someone who's made other movies you like (or the opposite for bad films). It doesn't mean I never end up disappointed, sure (see: Superman Returns), but until they pull a Shyamalan and go into a ten-year slump, I'm willing to give people the benefit of the doubt. I do my best to leave all that baggage at the door when I watch something, but I'm sure it affects my opinion somewhat. I agree with you that walking into a film with no expectations whatsoever is probably a purer experience, but I can't help it: I love the anticipation game too much to give it up.
User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13404
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: Edgar Wright's BABY DRIVER

Postby Peven on Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:59 pm

i didn't say it was "weird", just the opposite, it seems to be a very human thing to do, and don't try to tell me that personal like or dislike of a director or lead actor doesn't affect many people's perception of a movie as they are watching it and no matter how good it is they won't give the movie its due because they hate the actor/director so much. Ben Affleck is a perfect example, anything he does has to first overcome the knee-jerk anti-Affleck reflex of the cinema crowd. Mel Gibson could direct the best movie ever made and there would be people who wouldn't want to admit it was even good. right, Bax? :wink:
Last edited by Peven on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
User avatar
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 13948
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Edgar Wright's BABY DRIVER

Postby Fievel on Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:03 pm

One person's predisposition is another person's hope for a quality product.
I subscribe to the latter.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11853
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: Edgar Wright's BABY DRIVER

Postby Peven on Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:33 pm

Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
User avatar
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 13948
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Edgar Wright's BABY DRIVER

Postby Fievel on Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:03 pm

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
User avatar
Fievel
Mouse Of The House
 
Posts: 11853
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:07 pm
Location: White Lake, MI

Re: Edgar Wright's BABY DRIVER

Postby Ribbons on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:29 pm

User avatar
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG
 
Posts: 13404
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:00 am

Re: Edgar Wright's BABY DRIVER

Postby TheBaxter on Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:46 pm

Peven wrote:i didn't say it was "weird", just the opposite, it seems to be a very human thing to do, and don't try to tell me that personal like or dislike of a director or lead actor doesn't affect many people's perception of a movie as they are watching it and no matter how good it is they won't give the movie its due because they hate the actor/director so much. Ben Affleck is a perfect example, anything he does has to first overcome the knee-jerk anti-Affleck reflex of the cinema crowd. Mel Gibson could direct the best movie ever made and there would be people who wouldn't want to admit it was even good. right, Bax? :wink:


find me a quote of me saying something negative about one of Mel's movies, and maybe you'd have a point. i'm probably the worst example you could pick. heck, i even liked Passion of the Christ (see?), and i don't even believe in that shit. but it was a fantastically made film. i have plenty of bad things to say about Mel as a person, but generally speaking i've enjoyed most if not all of his films i've seen.

Roman Polanski's a child molester, but i still think Rosemary's Baby is one of the greatest horror films ever. Woody Allen is probably a child molester too, but i won't deny the quality of his films. Naked Gun is still fucking hilarious, even if it stars a double murderer. and Bill Cosby is a serial rapist, but i never liked the Cosby Show anyway.

i might not pay to see films by those people because i don't want to put money in their pockets, but when i end up seeing it eventually i don't have a problem separating the film from the director. actors are harder (that's what she said) because you have to look at their face the whole time as a constant reminder. and i'll freely admit that any movie that forces me to watch michael cera or jesse eisenberg has a hard time to overcome with me. but i hated the parts of Batman vs Superman without Eisenberg pretty much just as much as the parts with him, so that's enough about that.

but hey, papa johns' could make the world's greatest pizza* and peven would still say it tasted like homophobic crap, so everything evens out in the end.




* j/k papa johns could never make good pizza
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18318
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Edgar Wright's BABY DRIVER

Postby Peven on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:01 am

well, for starters, pizza isn't art :-P
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
User avatar
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 13948
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Edgar Wright's BABY DRIVER

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:35 am

Peven wrote:well, for starters, pizza isn't art :-P


http://www.complex.com/style/2013/06/ar ... -by-pizza/
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18318
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Edgar Wright's BABY DRIVER

Postby Peven on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:00 pm

does Pap Johns market and sell their pizza as art? right.

have there been reports of Gibson pushing for lower wages and rights for people who work on movies? has he donated millions of $$ for political efforts to curb g@y rights? see, these are REAL issues, not someone saying some things that are offensive. by buying Papa John's, no matter how good it is, i would be literally supporting anti-worker and anti-g@y activism. sorry if you are unable to tell the difference between things tangible and otherwise :-P :wink:
Image

perversely contrarian since 2005
User avatar
Peven
Is This Real Life?
 
Posts: 13948
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:45 am
Location: Group W bench

Re: Edgar Wright's BABY DRIVER

Postby TheBaxter on Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:30 pm

Peven wrote:does Pap Johns market and sell their pizza as art? right.

have there been reports of Gibson pushing for lower wages and rights for people who work on movies? has he donated millions of $$ for political efforts to curb g@y rights? see, these are REAL issues, not someone saying some things that are offensive. by buying Papa John's, no matter how good it is, i would be literally supporting anti-worker and anti-g@y activism. sorry if you are unable to tell the difference between things tangible and otherwise :-P :wink:


oh yeah, right, i forgot racism, anti-semitism and domestic violence aren't "real issues".
Image
User avatar
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger
 
Posts: 18318
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:00 pm

Re: Edgar Wright's BABY DRIVER

Postby TheButcher on Sat May 27, 2017 4:08 am

Edgar Wright Jokingly Plans Simon & Garfunkel Movie Universe
Edgar Wright, Rian Johnson, Marc Webb and others jokingly plan the hottest new movie franchise: Simon & Garfunkel’s discography.
User avatar
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR
 
Posts: 17114
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:02 am
Location: The Bureau of Sabotage


Return to Movie News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests