Joss Whedon's ‘Batgirl’

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Joss Whedon's ‘Batgirl’

Postby TheButcher on Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:37 pm

Peven wrote:Joss Whedon is writing and directing a Batgirl movie. see, that is breaking, relevant news.

wow, I am surprised to see Mr Marvel taking over a DC property. i wonder if it is part of the long term plan at DC and will lead to Batgirl showing up in other DC properties like Justice League II (or whatever they'll call it). see, that is commentary following the news I just dropped. isn't that so much more personal and engaging than a cold, indifferent hyperlink without comment or human touch whatsoever? :D :wink:

Variety MARCH 30, 2017:
‘Batgirl’ Movie: Joss Whedon to Direct Standalone Film (EXCLUSIVE)
Batgirl is flying solo. The superheroine is getting her own standalone movie from filmmaker Joss Whedon.

Whedon is nearing a deal to write, direct, and produce an untitled Batgirl pic for Warner Bros. as part of its DC Extended Universe.

No other producers are currently attached. Toby Emmerich, president and chief content officer of Warner Bros. Pictures Group, is overseeing with Jon Berg and Geoff Johns. The new project originated in the past month.

Batgirl is one of the most popular superheroes in the world, but has never gotten her own movie. The project will also feature other characters from the world of Gotham.

Batgirl first appeared in DC Comics in 1967 as Barbara Gordon, the daughter of Gotham City police commissioner James Gordon in “The Million Dollar Debut of Batgirl!” by writer Gardner Fox and artist Carmine Infantino.

The Batgirl project will be the second movie from DC Films to star a female lead after Gal Gadot’s “Wonder Woman,” which opens June 2. Extensive footage of the film was shown Wednesday at CinemaCon.

Whedon would be making a big move from the Marvel Cinematic Universe to its DC counterpart, having written and directed “The Avengers” and “Avengers: Age of Ultron” for Disney-Marvel. He also created the television series “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” “Angel,” “Firefly,” “Dollhouse,” and “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”

Warner Bros.’ DC Extended Universe launched with 2013’s “Man of Steel,” followed by last year’s “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” and “Suicide Squad.” Its upcoming films, which have already been dated, include “Wonder Woman”; “Justice League,” debuting Nov. 17; and “Aquaman,” starring Jason Momoa and hitting theaters in December of 2018.

The studio is also developing a “Suicide Squad” sequel and “Gotham City Sirens,” a spinoff to “Suicide Squad” with Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn character; “The Batman,” starring Ben Affleck with Matt Reeves directing; a “Shazam” film and a Black Adam spinoff starring Dwayne Johnson; and projects based on the Flash and Cyborg characters.

Whedon is repped by CAA.
Last edited by TheButcher on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Joss Whedon's ‘Batgirl’

Postby Ribbons on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:49 pm

This news is bizarre and yet somehow unsurprising considering the rest of his ouevre. According to that article we're also getting Nightwing and Gotham City Sirens...? That seems like a lot of Gotham movies, but I am a whore for Whedon and will watch this project develop with interest. I'm just hoping it doesn't break him like Age of Ultron did.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Maui on Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:42 am

Batgirl is one of the most popular superheroes in the world, but has never gotten her own movie.

I don't even know where to begin with this sentence.
Maui
WoWie

Postby Fievel on Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:02 am

If this would have been the film to launch the post-Nolan DC-verse, I would be much more excited.
As it stands now, it's like finding a $20 bill submerged in a toilet bowl full of shit. You know that it's $20...you're broke as hell and could really use the money...but you still have to enter the shit-infested waters in order to get it.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:39 am

EW 03/30/2017:
ANTHONY BREZNICAN wrote:Sources tell EW that this version will be Barbara Gordon, daughter of Commissioner Gordon, and the movie will use the DC Comics “New 52” version of the character as a starting point.

In that timeline, launched in 2011, Barbara Gordon has recovered from a paralyzing spinal injury notoriously inflicted on her by the Joker in the 1988 graphic novel The Killing Joke. In the earlier books, that damage confined her to a wheelchair and ended her flying, swinging, punching career as Batgirl — but she continued to fight the good fight under the name Oracle as a super-hacker.

The “New 52” books feature her several years after the Joker attack, having recovered full mobility after experimental surgery, although she is still haunted by the near-death experience.

It’s unclear how much of that series, written by Gail Simone, will be incorporated into Whedon’s film, but sources tell EW the movie will follow Simone’s harder-edged storyline rather than the more comical, playful “Batgirl of Burnside” series that was rebooted in 2014, featuring the hero as a social-media obsessed student living in a hipster neighborhood of Gotham.

Comics Alliance September 25, 2015:
Cast Party: Who Should Star In A ‘Batgirl of Burnside’ Movie?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby TheButcher on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:29 am

Screen Rant:
Warner Bros. Reportedly Trying to Film Another DCEU Movie in 2017

THR FEBRUARY 23, 2017:
Warner Bros. Plotting Live-Action 'Nightwing' Movie With 'Lego Batman Movie' Director (Exclusive)

Screen Rant:
The Batgirl Movie Has a Rumored Frontrunner: Lindsey Morgan
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Batman Cinematic Universe?

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:22 am

Four Batman movies coming in 2019! Debunked by DC?
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: Joss Whedon's ‘Batgirl’ (Now w/ 50% More Diesel)

Postby TheButcher on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:23 am

Joss Whedon Shares His Thoughts on Casting ‘Batgirl’
Joss Whedon wrote:“I doubt it’ll be a name, I think this is somewhere where you go and find Batgirl and then you cast her […] I mean, I’m not against movie stars, they’re great, but you need somebody who is just right. and a situation with this, the name carries a lot of weight so it’s not as critical. Definitely Vin Diesel.”
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Return to Movie News