Ribbons Has the DC Scoops... (Phase Whatever)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Ribbons Has the DC Scoops... (Phase Whatever)

Postby Ribbons on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:40 pm

I'm pretty sure we don't have a Random DC Movie thread, so I figured I might as well start one to catch all the non-Flash or -Aquaman related news. First bit of business: Ava DuVernay has been hired to direct a 'New Gods' movie (that's the one involving Darkseid and Mister Miracle and Videogame Cutscene Guy from Justice League).

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/03/ava-duvernay-dc-new-gods-hire/555815/

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Ribbons Has the DC Scoops... (Phase Whatever)

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:39 pm

i think one of the reasons why D.C. movies haven't been as successful is that the properties aren't as relatable as Marvel characters. i am far from the first to point that out. the D.C. characters are more iconic, symbolic, and that makes them less human, and harder for audiences to connect with them on screen in a 2 hour window. Marvel is all about the touchy feely "what is it to be human" and "what is right and wrong" existentialism, which is what elevates them above simple hero action movies and makes them more relatable to audiences, no matter how outlandish the settings or characters' outer appearance. that is my most humble opinion, anyway :D

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:26 am

God help us, that standalone Joker movie starring Joaquin Phoenix is actually happening:

http://collider.com/joker-movie-joaquin-phoenix/

What is going on at Warner Bros.? Who's in charge over there? Geoff Johns was forced to step down from his job as creative consultant, so I can only imagine their decisions are being made by a coked-up monkey pressing random buttons. This is either the worst idea in the world or it's secretly genius.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby so sorry on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:10 am

Ribbons wrote:God help us, that standalone Joker movie starring Joaquin Phoenix is actually happening:

http://collider.com/joker-movie-joaquin-phoenix/

What is going on at Warner Bros.? Who's in charge over there? Geoff Johns was forced to step down from his job as creative consultant, so I can only imagine their decisions are being made by a coked-up monkey pressing random buttons. This is either the worst idea in the world or it's secretly genius.

The film is described as “an exploration of a man disregarded by society [that] is not only a gritty character study, but also a broader cautionary tale.”

Sounds like a lot of fun.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Ribbons on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:51 pm

I can no longer keep track of what's going on over at WB/DC anymore, and apparently neither can anyone else.

Major news outlets have been reporting that both Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill are out as Batman and Superman, with the studio looking to "press the reset button" on the DC universe. Their agents continue to deny this, but WB has refused to comment. Maybe they're switching roles?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:12 pm

Ribbons wrote:I can no longer keep track of what's going on over at WB/DC anymore, and apparently neither can anyone else.

Major news outlets have been reporting that both Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill are out as Batman and Superman, with the studio looking to "press the reset button" on the DC universe. Their agents continue to deny this, but WB has refused to comment. Maybe they're switching roles?

here is exclusive footage of the reset button being pushed from inside WB/DC headquarters:

the reset button has to be pushed on this franchise every 108 minutes. zod forbid we ever find out what happens if they don't.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Ribbons on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:46 pm

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Ribbons on Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:39 pm

So the alternate-reality version of the Joker, starring Joaquin Phoenix as "Arthur" and directed by Todd Phillipps (of "Hangover" fame) seems to be progressing apace. Here's a picture of Phoenix in costume as both Arthur and whatever they end up calling his clown persona:

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:07 am

looks about right to me. i'm eagerly waiting to find out who they cast to play Hobson.

CGI Dudley Moore cameo as the Penguin?
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:55 pm

Maybe he'll get caught between the moon and Gotham City.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Return to Movie News