Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (the 9th QT flick)

All the dirt. All the top secret stuff. Anything that has to do with the process of getting us to sit and watch something projected on the big screen.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (the 9th QT flick)

Postby so sorry on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:58 pm

so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (the 9th QT flick)

Postby Peven on Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:59 pm

Tarantino just gets better and better, that trailer promises another feast for the eyes. I remember at the beginning of his career when "shot fast, shoot cheap" was part of his thing, along with his buddy Rodriguez, and what carried the movies was the dialogue and erratic plot lines, but has evolved movie to movie, and since Kill Bill he has been pushing himself more and more to provide visuals as rich and textured as the characters he creates.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:02 am

I am loving how normal this looks.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby so sorry on Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:29 pm

I like that this trailer really doesn't tell us much about the movie, I also like pretty much anything that shows Margo Robbie.

Thought that Brad sounded a little too Inglorious Basterds-y, but admittedly it was from one line of dialogue, so who knows.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Peven on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:28 pm

it is funny you mention Inglorious Basterds because the more I watch the trailer and read about the movie the more I think Tarantino is going for one of his "alternate timeline" stories here. as he put it, a story that takes place in a movie in one of his other movies. a cinematic world inside a cinematic world. using the La Bianca murders as a centerpiece event provides him a fantastic setting to tell one of his stories; a "what if" . i am guessin that Pitt and DiCaprio end up going against the Manson gang in some bloody scene where Charlie is killed. but then who knows, the possibilities are wide open.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby so sorry on Wed May 22, 2019 12:11 pm

New/final trailer. I'm guessing he plays with history here like he did in Basterds... Sharon Tate lives thru this one and Manson gets his (really, REALLY, bloody) ending.

I'm down with that, but something kinda icky about the subject matter (of a gruesome terrible tragedy, written in a comedic way). Again, no different than how I should have felt about the comedic treatment of the nazis in Basterds, but just feels different to me.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed May 22, 2019 4:46 pm

It's different to the Nazi treatment in that film because it was about the bad guys getting treated in that 'comedic' or parodying mocking way, and it resulted in the master of Evil, Hitler, being killed and good triumphing more than it did in real life.

We're not talking about the murder of innocents there, but with the Manson murders, we are.

You either get the clarifying truth from me, or Peven. You choose whose cock you wanna suck in gratitude.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby so sorry on Wed May 22, 2019 5:17 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:We're not talking about the murder of innocents there, but with the Manson murders, we are.

Except for, you know, the 6 million jews. :roll:
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Wed May 22, 2019 5:29 pm

so sorry wrote:
Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:We're not talking about the murder of innocents there, but with the Manson murders, we are.

Oh my God don't you guys get it? Inglorious Basterds took the piss out of Hitler, not the jews, and it killed Hitler, not the jews, and in doing so - you know, SAVED the jews. It's not taking the piss out of Jews at all is it? Or the people that the Nazis killed. It just depicts the Nazis, significantly the top brass, being killed.

Fuxake the stupidity of people and their level of argument really makes my mind boggle.

Peven, explain it to them...
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby TheBaxter on Wed May 22, 2019 11:46 pm

Cpt Kirks 2pay wrote:
so sorry wrote:

Oh my God don't you guys get it? Inglorious Basterds took the piss out of Hitler, not the jews, and it killed Hitler, not the jews, and in doing so - you know, SAVED the jews. It's not taking the piss out of Jews at all is it? Or the people that the Nazis killed. It just depicts the Nazis, significantly the top brass, being killed.

Fuxake the stupidity of people and their level of argument really makes my mind boggle.

Peven, explain it to them...

bah, you're still just pissed about that time you had to stop McCoy from saving your girlfriend so that the Nazis would lose.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Peven on Thu May 23, 2019 3:25 pm

so sorry wrote:

i see your :roll: and raise you :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

there were at least 11 million people killed in those camps. 6 million were Jewish. so you failed to be aware of or recognize about half the people that died in the Nazi's concentration camps but you're going to try to play the smarmy moralistic holier than thou card on this. classy. :wink:

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Fri May 24, 2019 1:03 pm

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/quentin-tarantino-margot-robbie-cannes_n_5ce68b42e4b0db9c2993b622

see, this is a case of the garbage entertainment "press" I referred to over in the GoT thread.

firstly, the garbage question asked by the passive aggressively dishonest "journalist" with a grudge who asked the question that is akin to "have you stopped beating your wife, and why or why not?" as if she thinks she is so clever by carefully phrasing her question to automatically put Tarantino in a defensive position no matter how he replied. too bad for her he is a little smarter than that and saw the bullshit question for what it was and refused to play her petty little game. ok, no biggie. but then the entertainment "press" decided to jump on the faux journalist's bandwagon and started running stories slanted like this one above without showing any recognition of the syntax of her question, creating a completely false story throwing shade on Tarantino's character. i'm not going to diagram her question out to show how it is clearly bullshit because I shouldn't have to, it is as plain as day, if someone listens to it and doesn't hear it that just shows how little they understand the English language.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Wolfpack on Fri May 24, 2019 5:05 pm

Outrage is far more profitable, Peven.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Peven on Fri May 24, 2019 6:34 pm

Wolfpack wrote:Outrage is far more profitable, Peven.

hey, you know me, I'm all for outrage as long as it is sincere and justified. :wink:

this was neither

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Peven on Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:11 am

I saw this last Thursday in a nearly packed theatre at a 4pm show, which bodes well for the Tarantino brand.
and the work of art that is "Once Upon A Time.....in Hollywood" should only raise the esteem he is given as a true modern day auteur. it is roughly 2:45h and not a minute too long for my money. as much as an experience, a time traveling interdimensional trip to a 1969 behind the scenes entertainment world that is a little more colorful, a little easier to sort out, and easier to like than our own is. Pitt is the fucking MAN in this film, and DiCaprio gives another of his top notch performances. together they are Redford and Newman, I want to see a Butch Cassidy/Sundance Kid type movie with these guys. though some might say that this movie is just that. I'm going to have to watch this again a few times to really take in everything it has to offer, it is so rich and chock full of visual, audio, and story treats that one viewing really feels more like a first bite of a delicious meal left to consume.

Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby caruso_stalker217 on Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:02 pm

I have surprisingly little to say about this film. It did not feel like it was almost three hours long. I have no real urge to see it again any time soon, which is unusual for Tarantino movies. The film goes entirely, clumsily off the rails by the end. I should have been laughing at how ridiculous it was, but it felt strangely unearned to me.

Further discussion would veer into spoiler territory, so I'll just say it was well acted and whatnot, I could've used at least another hour of people driving around listening to music, and QT's hubris has achieved even greater heights.

DEATH PROOF is still easily his worst, but this still ranks at number 8 for me.
caruso_stalker217
TOO AGED FOR THIS MALARKEY

Postby so sorry on Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:18 pm

I don't think I've seen any QT movies in theater, maybe Kill Bill Vol1, but I've seen all his flicks enough times. Just watched Pulp Fiction last night as a matter of fact, a fucking brilliant film from beginning to end (much of which credit is due to Samuel L Jackson).

I've always been intrigued by his movies enough to watch most of them several times over, but with the exception of Pulp Fiction, I can't say that I ever have the jones to go back and relive them (so if they are on cable, I may linger for a while). So with that, I'm looking forward to eventually seeing this one, but I'm pretty sure I'll walk away from it with my usual QT thoughts: overdone musical interludes at this point, some great conversations and interactions here and there, but overall not ever really excited by the end result. I will say this, he gets some seriously good acting in just about all of his films. I didn't like Django one bit, but Leo's performance was freaking great.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Wolfpack on Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:45 pm

This should clean up during awards season, given that Hollywood loves movies about itself.
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:13 pm

so sorry wrote:I'm looking forward to eventually seeing this one, but I'm pretty sure I'll walk away from it with my usual QT thoughts: overdone musical interludes

In this one it's actually an excessive use of diegetic car radio.

so sorry wrote:I will say this, he gets some seriously good acting in just about all of his films. I didn't like Django one bit, but Leo's performance was freaking great.

If you liked Leo in Django, I think you will love him in this. I'm not always DiCaprio's biggest fan (like George Clooney and, well, Brad Pitt, I sometimes think that he's more of a movie personality than a bonafide thespian), but I thought his performance in OUATIH was tremendous. More than just his usual forcefulness and intensity (although yes, that too), he brought a neurotic vulnerability and out-of-touch vanity to his role as a fading Hollywood star. I would argue that this is his best performance, and both he and Pitt make Tarantino's trademark stylized patter seem natural and compelling in a way that even the best actors don't. Their scenes together are especially great.

You still may not like the film, on the balance. But there's a lot to like about it.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Movie News