Criterion Collection: Best of the Best?

Betamax and beyond

Postby Seppuku on Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:25 am

One word...what the word means I have no fucking idea, but here's the word: ONIBABA.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Seppuku on Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:26 am

Also I really liked Hoop Dreams. Both those DVDs had scanty extras compared to the usual Criterion standards, but if they're films as good as those two then I'm not complaining.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby I_Was_Saying_Boo_urns on Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:52 am

I fucking LOVE Netflix for stocking Criterions. FUCKING LOVE IT.
I_Was_Saying_Boo_urns
GLIB

Postby Ribbons on Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:59 pm

I just bought the Criterion edition of Army of Shadows. The film looks (and is) fantastic, plus there are a lot of supplemental materials that cover both the making of the film and the history of the French resistance. Highly recommended.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Bob Samonkey on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:03 am

That looks familiar...
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:07 am

Ribbons wrote:I just bought the Criterion edition of Army of Shadows. The film looks (and is) fantastic, plus there are a lot of supplemental materials that cover both the making of the film and the history of the French resistance. Highly recommended.

fuck.
yeah.

the scene when, um, the main guy (I forget his name) breaks, and makes a break for it when the Nazi's tell the prisoners that whomever makes it to the end will be allowed to live a little longer?

and the stoic look of defiance when the main woman sees her former comrades coming for her?

oh man, so much awesome in that flick - can't believe it was never released here in the States till last year, and that those cheese-eating surrender monkeys criticized it when it came out.

I was going to use Image as my av, just never had the chance.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:29 am

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:I was going to use Image as my av, just never had the chance.

That'd make for a sweet av, too, you should go for it some time.

The minute that Gerbier made a break for it in occupied Paris and walked into the salon to get his beard shaved off, I was hooked. The scene where they pass around the cigarettes while waiting for execution; the Nazi doctor's weary "Heil Hitler;" I can't believe it had never seen the light of day in the States until last year either. It's bloody brilliant.

Kind of want to get Le Cercle Rouge now.

Bob Poopflingius Maximus wrote:Image

That looks familiar...

:wink:
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby LeFlambeur on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:32 am

I really think that the best thing to happen in DVD all year was the creation of Criterion's Eclipse Series. In terms of features and video quality it doesn't quite live up to Criterion's usual standards but it does greatly increase the volume of various directors works that they can bring into the US. The Late Ozu boxset is bliss.
LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Zarles on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:36 am

So are Wes Anderson's films made into Criterion discs by default now, or what? Not that I'm complaining.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Theta on Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:48 am

LeFlambeur wrote:I really think that the best thing to happen in DVD all year was the creation of Criterion's Eclipse Series. In terms of features and video quality it doesn't quite live up to Criterion's usual standards but it does greatly increase the volume of various directors works that they can bring into the US. The Late Ozu boxset is bliss.

Lately I think Eclipse has been exciting more than Criterion. I just finished watching Carlos Saura's Flamenco Trilogy (two word review: HOT DAMN!) and I'm planning on buying their upcoming Lubitsch (which practically doubles the Lubitsch on the market) and William Klein sets, plus the Raymond Bernard and the Fuller when I get a chance.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:42 am

Zarles wrote:So are Wes Anderson's films made into Criterion discs by default now, or what? Not that I'm complaining.

From what I've read.. Wes gets an automatic pass for his movies to be released into the Criterion collection...

I think that theres a CC version of Bottle Rocket coming out and Darjeeling Limited will also be out too
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:23 am

Ang Lee's now officially part of Criterion, with The Ice Storm getting the 2-disc treatment. I haven't seen this film yet, is it worth dishing out to meet the Criterion price tag? From their site:

- DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION DOUBLE-DISC SET FEATURES
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Ang Lee and director of photography Frederick Elmes
- Audio commentary featuring Lee and producer-screenwriter James Schamus
- New documentary featuring interviews with actors Joan Allen, Kevin Kline, Tobey Maguire, Christina Ricci, Sigourney Weaver, and Elijah Wood
- New video interview with novelist Rick Moody
- Deleted scenes
- Footage from an event honoring Lee and Schamus at New York's Museum of the Moving Image
- Visual essays featuring interviews with the cinematographer, production designer, and costume designer
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: A new essay by film critic Bill Krohn

I liked what they'd done with The Man Who Fell to Earth, where the novel (la?) was included in the package as well... didn't like that film too much, still haven't read the book, but I think it's a pretty great idea to include the original books with the DVDs (at least when the books are not *too* long).

Still have If.... on some wishlist somewhere, after Keepcool's rave review.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Ribbons on Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:49 am

Ribbons wrote:
Keepcoolbutcare wrote:I was going to use Image as my av, just never had the chance.

Speaking of which...

seppuku you old dog! What did you think of Army of Shadows?
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Seppuku on Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:47 am

Ribbons wrote:
Ribbons wrote:

Speaking of which...

seppuku you old dog! What did you think of Army of Shadows?

:lol: When bastard_robo bumped the thread the other day, the fact that I'd seen AOS for the first time just hours before reading yours and KCBC's convo meant I just had to yoink that AV. Not without using Photobucket's handy new photoshop feature on it first, though.

Army of Shadows has really gotten under my skin the last couple of days. The composer said, "I was struck by the strength of the silences, the looks, the waiting moments." And I couldn't agree more. It even makes the act of murder seem completely cold and matter of fact.

Even though this movie is what Nigel Tufnell would call, "None more black," I'm definitely geared up to seeing some more Melville movies. Especially if they're half as stunning as this one.
Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Nordling on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:49 am

The SEVEN SAMURAI 3-disc is amazing and very much worth the price.

I love the RUSHMORE Criterion as well, with the MTV Movie Awards shorts.

IKIRU because, well, if you haven't seen it, you must.

Finally, the rare John Woo Criterions, HARD BOILED and THE KILLER. Expensive as hell since they're out of print, but worth it.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby travis-dane on Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:19 pm

RoboCop is my favorite....
I had to import it to Germany in '99...
It was the first time that I saw the full uncut RoboCop..
Even the dutch version was cut back in the day.
I love my Criterion RoboCop DVD!
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby ironic name on Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:14 pm

I want the sejun suzuki box, I got most of the movies, but I want to see the extra stuff, like commentaries by jarmusch or tarantino or whoever.
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:19 pm

Zarles wrote:So are Wes Anderson's films made into Criterion discs by default now, or what? Not that I'm complaining.

I actually really resent that Wes Anderson's movie get released Direct To Criterion. I think they should really sit back and let a movie sink in and decide whether it's a classic or not; don't just assume that because a guy made a great movie (Rushmore) and is a talented filmmaker everything he does will be magic.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Spandau Belly on Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:20 pm

My faves are all on the strength of the films themselves. I've never been a big "extras" man and don't even watch most of the shit they put on most DVDs.

My faves:

Le Samourai
La Double Die de Veronique
The Tin Drum
Rushmore
Sid & Nancy
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby ironic name on Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:06 pm

I_Was_Saying_Boo_urns wrote:I fucking LOVE Netflix for stocking Criterions. FUCKING LOVE IT.

your screen name is the winner.
you win.
best.
:D
ironic name
had cheer sex with Megan Gale

Postby LeFlambeur on Wed May 07, 2008 11:37 pm

LeFlambeur
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu May 08, 2008 1:46 am

LeFlambeur wrote:Holy Shit :shock:

YAY!

*runs out into street screaming with joy*
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bastard_robo on Thu May 08, 2008 3:05 am

LeFlambeur wrote:Holy Shit :shock:

BOUT GODDAMN TIME!

Now.. When am I getting Fear and Loathing on BLU RAY?
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Peven on Thu May 08, 2008 6:28 am

Spandau Belly wrote:

I actually really resent that Wes Anderson's movie get released Direct To Criterion. I think they should really sit back and let a movie sink in and decide whether it's a classic or not; don't just assume that because a guy made a great movie (Rushmore) and is a talented filmmaker everything he does will be magic.

Blasphemer! :twisted:

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby Nordling on Thu May 08, 2008 7:08 am

No Kurosawas in this first wave? Dumb. I'll grab a couple of these, but RAN in HD, or my beloved SEVEN SAMURAI? The mind boggles.
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu May 08, 2008 7:55 am

The best part of the whole affair is this:

These new editions will feature glorious high-definition picture and sound, all the supplemental content of the DVD releases, and they will be priced to match our standard-def editions.

Smart fuckin' move, Criterion, kudos!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby havocSchultz on Thu May 08, 2008 8:01 am

Ya!

Striptease in BluRay!!!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby travis-dane on Mon May 12, 2008 6:45 am

More on the Blu-Ray thingy....

Dear Criterion Collection Newsletter subscriber,

We’ve got some exciting news for this fall, and we wanted you to hear it first.

Our first Blu-ray discs are coming! We’ve picked a little over a dozen titles from the collection for Blu-ray treatment, and we’ll begin rolling them out in October. These new editions will feature glorious high-definition picture and sound, all the supplemental content of the DVD releases, and they will be priced to match our standard-def editions.
Here’s what’s in the pipeline:

The Third Man
Bottle Rocket
Chungking Express
The Man Who Fell to Earth
The Last Emperor
El Norte
The 400 Blows
Gimme Shelter
The Complete Monterey Pop
Contempt
Walkabout
For All Mankind
The Wages of Fear

Alongside our DVD and Blu-ray box sets of The Last Emperor, we’ll also be putting out the theatrical version as a stand-alone release in both formats, priced at $39.95. Our Blu-ray release of Walkabout will be an all-new edition, featuring new supplements as well as a new transfer; we will also release an updated anamorphic DVD of Nicolas Roeg’s outback masterpiece at the same time.

Oopss.....
have not seen the link above....
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Re: Criterion Collection: Best of the Best?

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:17 am

Get thee to the new Criterion website! It does a whole bunch of cool new shit! Watch the video at the top of the page for a better explanation, but what has me talking in exclamation points is the streaming video! For $5 you can watch a movie as many times as you want for one week, and the five bucks counts toward the purchase of the movie on DVD or Blu-ray! Try before you buy! Go! Now!
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RaulMonkey on Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:33 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Get thee to the new Criterion website! It does a whole bunch of cool new shit! Watch the video at the top of the page for a better explanation, but what has me talking in exclamation points is the streaming video! For $5 you can watch a movie as many times as you want for one week, and the five bucks counts toward the purchase of the movie on DVD or Blu-ray! Try before you buy! Go! Now!

Featuring Zone favourite, THE SPIRIT OF THE BEEHIVE. Catch it now!
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:12 pm

I've put a few Criterion releases on my watchlist, but darn it even though they are totally worth it I just can't friggin' afford to get 'em right now!! The Ice Storm, Bottle Rocket, Spirit of the Beehive, and If.... are the films I'd be keen on getting at some point or in some parallel reality.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Seppuku on Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:33 pm

I wasn't so blown away by Spirit of the Beehive. Guess I should give it another viewing. I can see how it influenced Del Toro, though. He's lifted a few shots directly from Spirit... over the years (the whole outdoor set of The Devil's Backbone in the dusty courtyard was a total reproduction of Spirit's opening scene).

I just checked IMDB, and apparently I gave it a 9/10. So I guess I enjoyed more than I remember.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:38 pm

Or you feared assault by film nerd for scoring it anything lower than 9...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Seppuku on Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:44 pm

Pacino86845 wrote:Or you feared assault by film nerd for scoring it anything lower than 9...

Nordling knows Harry, you know... Dude could totally get me banned if he ever found out!
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Re:

Postby Brocktune on Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:24 pm

Theta wrote:
LeFlambeur wrote:I really think that the best thing to happen in DVD all year was the creation of Criterion's Eclipse Series. In terms of features and video quality it doesn't quite live up to Criterion's usual standards but it does greatly increase the volume of various directors works that they can bring into the US. The Late Ozu boxset is bliss.

Lately I think Eclipse has been exciting more than Criterion. I just finished watching Carlos Saura's Flamenco Trilogy (two word review: HOT DAMN!) and I'm planning on buying their upcoming Lubitsch (which practically doubles the Lubitsch on the market) and William Klein sets, plus the Raymond Bernard and the Fuller when I get a chance.

at the price, the fuller set is a fuckin steal. worth the price for the baron of arizona alone.
its thanks to that set that fuller is totally my current cinematic man-crush.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:24 pm

Holy crap, Criterion releasing one of the greatest film box sets of all time?!?!

25 Akira Kurosawa films all bundled up in fancy shmancy packaging!! It will set you back about $300 USD though... however that would come out to $12 a movie, and it looks like they have most of the essentials in there: Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood, Rashomon, Hidden Fortress, The Bad Sleep Well, Yojimbo, Kagemusha... one notable omission that I can see is Ran, one of his last movies and beautifully filmed too boot!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Ribbons on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:08 pm

Plus High and Low and The Idiot? Holy crap! DO WANT!!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:25 pm

Their proposed Kubrick collection would've been awesome....had Warners not barged they're way in, just to release more substandard versions again.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:45 am

Pacino86845 wrote:Holy crap, Criterion releasing one of the greatest film box sets of all time?!?!

25 Akira Kurosawa films all bundled up in fancy shmancy packaging!! It will set you back about $300 USD though... however that would come out to $12 a movie, and it looks like they have most of the essentials in there: Seven Samurai, Throne of Blood, Rashomon, Hidden Fortress, The Bad Sleep Well, Yojimbo, Kagemusha... one notable omission that I can see is Ran, one of his last movies and beautifully filmed too boot!

That is one fine assed boxset indeed, has me drooling, but it does need more andromeda's ass. Where is the magnificent "RAN"?? and where is "Dersu Uzala"????!!!!?? I've said it before, and I'll say it again, that movie is easily one of his most entertaining.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:48 am

With Ran I can imagine the rights might cost them a bit more, it was produced by George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola, right? There might've been some technicality there that prevented them from easily putting it in. As for others, well I suppose they had to choose 25 films... I've only seen three of his films so I don't enough to speculate further.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DaleTremont on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:52 am

magicmonkey wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:Holy crap, Criterion releasing one of the greatest film box sets of all time?!?!

That is one fine assed boxset indeed, has me drooling, but it does need more andromeda's ass. Where is the magnificent "RAN"?? and where is "Dersu Uzala"????!!!!?? I've said it before, and I'll say it again, that movie is easily one of his most entertaining.

Dersu Uzala is tight! I saw that because it was listed under the Russian section of Netflix, but it's a great movie. I aspire to be more like Dersu Uzala. He's like Yoda and Zatoichi all in one. Zen to the max.
DaleTremont
Loincloth Bronson

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:37 am

Pacino86845 wrote:With Ran I can imagine the rights might cost them a bit more, it was produced by George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola, right? There might've been some technicality there that prevented them from easily putting it in.

I believe you're thinking of Kagemusha.

And Ran apparently isn't included because Canal+ owns it.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:39 am

Well there you go... the French are to blame!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:40 am

...as always.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:40 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby magicmonkey on Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:10 am

DaleTremont wrote:
magicmonkey wrote:

Dersu Uzala is tight! I saw that because it was listed under the Russian section of Netflix, but it's a great movie. I aspire to be more like Dersu Uzala. He's like Yoda and Zatoichi all in one. Zen to the max.

:D He is, isn't he. I saw the movie about 10 years ago but never forgot it.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:50 am

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:16 am

Some of those covers are badass. I've never heard of What Time Is It There before, but the title has me intrigued.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:50 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:59 pm

Criterion working on bringing House (Hausu) to Blu-ray?

I'll buy just based on the fuct up trailer. Janus Films has a print of the flick making the rounds on the art house circuit, get more info here.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray