Celestial Pictures - Shaw Brothers DVDs

Betamax and beyond

Celestial Pictures - Shaw Brothers DVDs

Postby WinslowLeach on Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:43 pm

I'm a big fan of Celestial Pictures Remastered Shaw Brothers Films on DVD. Its really nice to see the old school kung fu classics restored/remastered. If you love Asian Cinema and dont have any, you need to get a region free player first, then you can enjoy all the finest Asian Cinema you never saw in its beautiful original condition!

So far I've collected the following on R3:

The Chinese Boxer
The Five Venoms
Crippled Avengers
Boxer From Shantung
Executioners From Shaolin
Oily Maniac

Does anyone else have any Celestial DVDs? If so, which ones and how do you like them?
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:00 am

Are these ever going to get a R1 release?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Moriarty on Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:21 am

I got all excited recently when I saw the announcement for a region 1 version of COME DRINK WITH ME, but whoever released it (some little outfit like Shitheap Cinema) made the packaging look beyond cheap, and I'm not even sure it's anamorphic.

*sigh*

I want these films in nice R1 releases. Now, please.
Moriarty
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Agent Alonzo on Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:23 am

Google wrote:Your search - "Shitheap Cinema" - did not match any documents

:(
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:18 am

Moriarty wrote:I got all excited recently when I saw the announcement for a region 1 version of COME DRINK WITH ME

King Hu gettin' some love from Mori. I know your married and straight, but can we go skipping in the park together?

Anyone know where I can find "The Valiant One's"?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Man-in-the-Box on Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:23 am

Anyone know where I can find "The Valiant One's"?

We're over hanging out in the Saturday night thread.
I'm not with Cowbell, he's with me.
Man-in-the-Box
AIRWOLF

Postby WinslowLeach on Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:40 am

I heard Miram-axe was going to be releasing the Celestial Pictures DVDs in REGION 1. The only problem with Miram-axe is that they tend to cut everything to shreds. Maybe now that they are going off to form their new studio they will be more respectful of the Asian films.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:36 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:I heard Miram-axe was going to be releasing the Celestial Pictures DVDs in REGION 1. The only problem with Miram-axe is that they tend to cut everything to shreds. Maybe now that they are going off to form their new studio they will be more respectful of the Asian films.

I was just as surprised as you to find that what they've put out under the Celestial banner has looked utterly amazing, no edits to the original films, subtitles...great stuff.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to DVD / Blu-ray