Straight to DVD - A new frontier?

Betamax and beyond

Straight to DVD - A new frontier?

Postby bluebottle on Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:34 pm

I started talking about this in another thread, and i realized that maybe it's worth it's own discussion.

With people investing more and more money in home theatre systems, and spending less time going out to the movie theatres, do you think that there might be a market in releasing A quality movies straight to DVD?

Think about Serenity as an example.

It's a guaranteed hit on DVD, but it might not do very well in theatres.

And should that matter?

I for one LOVE going to the movie theatre, nothing can ever replace seeing a movie with an eager, excited croud.

On the other hand, I do go less than I used to, choosing to wait to see certain films at home, because of time, convenience and price.

And there are certain films that (for me) do not hinge on seeing it with a group of people.

I'm wondering if this is the future, certain films will skip the theatre all together, and it won't just be reserved for Shannon Tweed films.

Whaddyall think? Bad? Good?
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:39 pm

I really wish we would have a slate of Farscape movies on DVD. I am glad they wrapped up the story in a meaningful way, but I still miss those guys so much.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:25 pm

I don't know that this would get much of a push from the studios. Straight-to-video movies are seen as below even made-for-TV ones, so unless there's a radical change in stigma, I don't see a whole lot of money flowing this way.

On another note, seeing as everyone's talking about this box office "slump," here's a really good bit from Roger Ebert's Answer Man column this week:

"The most interesting thing about the "slump" is that there may not be one. David Poland of Movie City News has been calling the slump a non-story all summer. He points out that the grosses for 2004 were skewed by the performance of "The Passion of the Christ," one of the most successful movies ever made, which attracted enormous numbers of people who do not ordinarily go to the movies.

"Even so, 2005 may end up as the second or third highest-grossing year in movie history. "There is no real slump," he writes. "If you think you are analyzing a real trend, but it can be changed by the actions of a week or two or a movie or two, it is not really a trend, it is a blip." "

Food for thought.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby bluebottle on Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:15 pm

Does anyone know, offhand, how much a movie makes from dvd sales vs. how much it makes in theatres?

i mean, isn't <i>that</i> what movie studios <i>really</i> look at?
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:35 pm

Studios do look at the bottom line, yes, but a theatrical run guarantees a certain level of exposure that direct-to-video films can't really match. Unless a studio REALLY worked to get a film's exposure up, you're not going to get a huge reaction from Joe Moviegoer and thusly, not much to look at on the books.

Hell, Comic Book: The Movie is one of the most successful direct-to-video movies ever, and I bet at least 8 out of 10 people have never heard of it.

If it sells, sure, they'll put money into it. But not serious money. Not Batman- or WOTW- or The Island-money.

I like the idea, but I'm not sure the sky is falling quite yet.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:49 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Straight-to-video movies are seen as below even made-for-TV ones

Holy crappa, with a stuff like Rosie's "Riding onna the Bus with a my Sister," then straight-a-to-DVD must a be 6 feet under!

It donna get much lower...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby The Garbage Man on Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:14 pm

Does DTV/DTD have a bright future?

God, I hope so, especially with DTV animated films like Ultimate Avengers and Futurama coming up. I'd really love to see a new market created where good stuff that's not "big" or "safe" enough for big-screen investment gets life through DVD.
The Garbage Man
AIRWOLF

OH YOUR GOD!

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:15 pm

"It's like a party in my mouth, and everybody's throwing up!"

Man, I loved Futurama.

Hoe-Wood is doing just fine...overseas B.O continues to increase, they make tons off DVD sales, selling film rights to cable and broadcast TV.
And the slump? Not only did Passion boost last year, but Farenheit brought in many people who normally don't go to summer movies. Plus weekday receipts were up from certain weeks last year but you didn't hear much coverage about that.

I trust Hollywood accountants like I'd trust Mike Milken with my S&L.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:22 pm

Isn't most Anime sold as DTV here in America? I doubt they would still market it if it was a losing proposition.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Shane on Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:02 am

I| saw something on CNN maybee someone here remembers something about it. Some director , and |I can't recall who, is planning on releasing his next few films on DVD, Pay Per View, and in the theater all on the same day because he feels the traditionalformat is on it's way out.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby Agent Alonzo on Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:13 am

The title of this thread alone gave the likes of Daniel Baldwin and Treat Williams erections...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby Shane on Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:14 am

Agent Alonzo wrote:The title of this thread alone gave the likes of Daniel Baldwin and Treat Williams erections...

pervert.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:17 am

Shane wrote:I| saw something on CNN maybee someone here remembers something about it. Some director , and |I can't recall who, is planning on releasing his next few films on DVD, Pay Per View, and in the theater all on the same day because he feels the traditionalformat is on it's way out.

The movie is Bubble by Steven Soderbergh and it was released like three weeks ago.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Shane on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:28 am

I've got to see Bubble now, just because that is so different.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby quantum on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:53 am

The quick turnaround time for DVDs nowadays; I'd say within 10 years movie theatres wont be around. Movies will be released directly to DVD, cutting out the middleman.
quantum
GLIB

Postby Seppuku on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:07 am

I guess we'll have to hope that the Futurama and Buffy DVDs don't lose the quality that the series' had. You'd think not having a tight deadline and having had time to stir on the plot would improve the quality, but we'll see. And the best STD star is definitely Bruce Le (yes, with one e), well him or Dragon Lee.

My favourite STD has got to be Sypphilis, I mean you gotta admit those cockney hookers took on a beautiful porcelin shine with that particular illness... Mmm tempting,
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby SilentBobX on Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:26 pm

Personally, I think this is the new frontier for beginning and wannabe filmmakers. The only trick is to get funding, but then again, considering some of the absolute shit that gets made for DTV, it can't be that hard. Movies like Jack Frost 1 and 2, Munchies, and Mac and Me aren't truly bad when looked at on paper(it requires an actual viewing to see how bad and derivative they are) Having said that, I truly believe that good filmmakers can be born in the DTV world. Myself, I have a few lowbrow, cheesy ideas for a movie of this nature.

So far, this world is ruled by slapstick, crappy scifi and comedy. But if a decently acted, well produced and edited movie could make money in this way, I feel it could be the future. Here's hoping..... Now I gotta get back to writing this thing which I'm hoping will take shape in time.
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:35 pm

My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Shane on Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:41 pm

I think Lions Gate has alot of films where they see that it works with. And now Marvel and Family guy are doing it.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby SilentBobX on Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:48 pm

Mac and Me must've been a very small theatrical release, cause I never saw a print or tv ad for it anywhere. But it's still derivative and shitty
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby Shane on Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:53 pm

SilentBobX wrote:Personally, I think this is the new frontier for beginning and wannabe filmmakers. The only trick is to get funding, but then again, considering some of the absolute shit that gets made for DTV, it can't be that hard. Movies like Jack Frost 1 and 2, Munchies, and Mac and Me aren't truly bad when looked at on paper(it requires an actual viewing to see how bad and derivative they are) Having said that, I truly believe that good filmmakers can be born in the DTV world. Myself, I have a few lowbrow, cheesy ideas for a movie of this nature.

So far, this world is ruled by slapstick, crappy scifi and comedy. But if a decently acted, well produced and edited movie could make money in this way, I feel it could be the future. Here's hoping..... Now I gotta get back to writing this thing which I'm hoping will take shape in time.

I think it has alot of potential for smaller budgeted films and new filmmakers. of course Jacksons Kong, Spiderman, Spielberg, all that blockbuster stuff would be comitting suicide by even thinking about it.
Shane
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:58 pm

SilentBobX wrote:Mac and Me must've been a very small theatrical release, cause I never saw a print or tv ad for it anywhere. But it's still derivative and shitty

Really? 'Cause I can remember the crappy commercials from when I was a kid and thinking what a rip-off of E.T. it was. I believe the movie was released right around the video release of E.T. if I'm not mistaken.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Theta on Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:25 pm

Actually, we're on the brink of a direct-to-DVD explosion. HDV is about to dramatically boost the quality of low-budget, digitally shot feature films, but at the same time, there are fewer and fewer theatrical outlets for such films.

There are other factors that I won't post here, but suffice to say, direct-to-DVD will soon be in its own.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby cap on Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:02 pm

Theta wrote:Actually, we're on the brink of a direct-to-DVD explosion. HDV is about to dramatically boost the quality of low-budget, digitally shot feature films, but at the same time, there are fewer and fewer theatrical outlets for such films.

There are other factors that I won't post here, but suffice to say, direct-to-DVD will soon be in its own.

Agreed.

Ambition - The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly
cap
AIRWOLF

Return to DVD / Blu-ray