22%
250 to 500
22%
500+
19%

Total votes : 101

Postby junesquad on Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:12 pm

DVD - 161
TV Collections - 16 seasons of 5 shows...
Junesquad
junesquad
AIRWOLF

Postby MadBaxter on Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:04 am

I own over 100 , I think DVDs are overpriced though, especially the new releases and scifi/anime box sets like Dr.Who and Naruto.
"Shut Up or I'll put you in the trunk."
MadBaxter
GLIB

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:20 pm

John-Locke wrote:I've got about four hundred DVD's, I managed to stop myself from buying too many DVD's about 2 years ago, It's is silly you will never get your moneys worth buying willy nilly, I own too many films I've never watched.

It can easily become an unhealthy addiction, save the money for better things if you can.

I reached that point myself a couple years ago. I was ridiculously addicted to buying DVD's. I'd find myself at Borders or Best Buy thinking Gotta get something. Gotta get something. I almost didn't care what it was as long as it was a plastic disc in a rectangular plastic case. I used to joke that I thought there were opiates in the ink of the paper for the chapter listing in the case!

I probably have between 400 - 500. I've gotten rid of a bunch over the last few months. I just had to cut back.

Edit: Now I try to channel that energy and money into catching more movies at the theater. And I don't even do that as much as I used to.
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Re: How many DVDs do you own? - The DVD Collection Thread

Postby travis-dane on Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:33 am

I have about 400+ DVD's.......
And some TV-Shows and Movie Box-Sets.
-
Lesbian Nazi Hookers Abducted by UFOs and Forced Into Weight Loss Programs!
travis-dane
100% OLEG!

Postby minstrel on Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:00 pm

My roomie and I together have about 1,100 DVDs. These include complete sets of some Japanese animes (Astro Boy, Kimba) that my roomie loves, plus a load of rock concert DVDs that I collect.
"Everybody is equally shitty and wrong." - Ribbons
minstrel
Leader of the Insquirrelgency

Postby bastard_robo on Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:45 am

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Dan on Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:07 am

Dan
Dan
GLIB

Postby Spandau Belly on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:37 am

According to DVDAF I have 296 DVDs. I'm not sure how they count them, if they count box sets as one or if my Sergio Leone anthology counts as 4 seperate films.

I'd probably say I have about 275 feature films and then some television and music video collections and some smut and a compilation of Pingu The Clay Penguin episodes.

I sorta feel like I have too much, but any time in the past that I've sold stuff off I've always regretted it and wanted to watch that movie like a year later. So I'm not going to trim down my collection down much.

Sometimes if I want to see something, but can't find it anywhere for rent and it's less than $20 to buy, I frequently buy it then sell it off it's not so great.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby bastard_robo on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:44 pm

Spandau Belly wrote:According to DVDAF I have 296 DVDs. I'm not sure how they count them, if they count box sets as one or if my Sergio Leone anthology counts as 4 seperate films.

I'd probably say I have about 275 feature films and then some television and music video collections and some smut and a compilation of Pingu The Clay Penguin episodes.

I sorta feel like I have too much, but any time in the past that I've sold stuff off I've always regretted it and wanted to watch that movie like a year later. So I'm not going to trim down my collection down much.

Sometimes if I want to see something, but can't find it anywhere for rent and it's less than $20 to buy, I frequently buy it then sell it off it's not so great.

The Main count lumps the sets in as 1..

If you look at DISC COUNT, that'll give you a good idea at what you really have...
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Peven on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:59 pm

let me get this straight. you guys enter the info onto a website everytime you buy a dvd in order to keep track of what you own? like looking over at your shelf to see what you have isn't easy enough??? or even just keeping track with a excel file or something? maybe i am missing something but seems to me the whole website thing would be superfluous

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby tapehead on Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:23 am

Peven wrote:let me get this straight. you guys enter the info onto a website everytime you buy a dvd in order to keep track of what you own? like looking over at your shelf to see what you have isn't easy enough??? or even just keeping track with a excel file or something? maybe i am missing something but seems to me the whole website thing would be superfluous

Obviously you don't believe in Blog

Seriously though the advantage is easy access anywhere you happen to be, so long as you can reference the net, plus the potential for nerd bragging rights.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Spandau Belly on Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:38 am

Oh, and here's the link to the movies I own.

http://wolfie-villians.dvdaf.com/owned?pg=1

Somehow I own Armageddon.
Spandau Belly
self-fellating peacock

Postby Peven on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:42 pm

tapehead wrote:
Peven wrote:let me get this straight. you guys enter the info onto a website everytime you buy a dvd in order to keep track of what you own? like looking over at your shelf to see what you have isn't easy enough??? or even just keeping track with a excel file or something? maybe i am missing something but seems to me the whole website thing would be superfluous

Obviously you don't believe in Blog

Seriously though the advantage is easy access anywhere you happen to be, so long as you can reference the net, plus the potential for nerd bragging rights.

i guess i am one of those wierdos who buy dvd's simply to watch and enjoy.........

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby minstrel on Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:10 pm

I don't have a list of the DVDs I own. I didn't even count them. I just counted one shelf, and multiplied by the number of shelves of DVDs I have. Then I added a guess of the number of DVDs my roomie has piled on his bedroom floor.

I have no need to keep track that closely, I guess.
minstrel

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:11 pm

1500+
I tried to make an Excel sheet of them once. That'll drive you nuts quick. :x
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby Chris a.k.a StuntMike on Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:18 pm

About a month ago I went thru all my VHS tapes to make sure I had them all on disc. All VHS are in the dump as of a week ago. Not very green of me, but it felt good to purge the tapes from my life. :mrgreen:
Chris a.k.a StuntMike
Not without incident

Postby ChaoticMoira on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:44 pm

Holy fricken Christ! I think you guys are ALL insane! I own 3 DVD's. I bought, none of them. They were gifts.
ChaoticMoira
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby instant_karma on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:46 pm

ChaoticMoira wrote:Holy fricken Christ! I think you guys are ALL insane! I own 3 DVD's. I bought, none of them. They were gifts.

Leave now.
instant_karma
Comes in 4 exciting flavours

Postby ChaoticMoira on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:01 pm

instant_karma wrote:
ChaoticMoira wrote:Holy fricken Christ! I think you guys are ALL insane! I own 3 DVD's. I bought, none of them. They were gifts.

Leave now.

Fine, but I will just end up back outside your window again.

Is that what you really want...

ChaoticMoira
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:20 pm

instant_karma wrote:

Leave now.

Welcome to 1997.. hows your VCR doing?
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby ChaoticMoira on Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:33 pm

bastard_robo wrote:
instant_karma wrote:

Leave now.

Welcome to 1997.. hows your VCR doing?

HAHAHA! Actually, I have about 20 VHS tapes. I should get rid of them though, I don't own a VCR. It will usually take me at least ten years to rewatch a movie, so renting just makes sense.
ChaoticMoira
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby spock of the walk on Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:29 pm

a couple months ago i went out and got a 208 disk binder and am 3 short from filling it up. some of those are tv shows like aqua teen, arrested d, breaking bad, firefly, californication, its always sunny, eastbound and down and tscc.
with the exception of ironman and soon to be star trek 11, i dont have big summer movies like transformers, starwars or lotr.
a quick sampling of movies i have are alien trilogy, coen bros films, choke, day/night watch, event horizon, fear and loathing, galaxy quest, hellraiser, in bruge, kiss kiss bang bang, the lost room mini, the mist, broken lizard films, rocky films, rules of attraction, a scanner darkly, star trek films, there will be blood, very bad things, watchmen, wonderland, the wrestler and zoolander.
"He told me he understood, but I could see it in his eyes that he didn't. He was lying to me."
spock of the walk
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby mmurfield on Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:07 pm

I own exactly 517 titles, i very studiously catalogue each title
mmurfield
GLIB

Postby BennyBlanco on Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:28 pm

well over 700 now but slowly pruning them down and migrating the very great ones to blu-ray !!!!!!
BennyBlanco
GLIB

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:59 pm

BennyBlanco wrote:well over 700 now but slowly pruning them down and migrating the very great ones to blu-ray !!!!!!

Without trying to pick on you, but in the LOTR thread you said:

Looks like Ill be renting these on bluray and buying the EE next year I am not getting screwed and buying the damn things 2x.

Years ago when I realized what the movie industry was up to in gouging consumers with dumb special editions i stopped buying them.

Have you not realised that the movie industry is just screwing you over in the same way by getting you re-buy films you already own?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby justcheckin on Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:08 pm

I pruned mine back alot... decided to quick getting them unless it was a must have movie. I have about 85 now. Very ungeekish, I know.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby BennyBlanco on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:42 am

Fried Gold wrote:
BennyBlanco wrote:well over 700 now but slowly pruning them down and migrating the very great ones to blu-ray !!!!!!

Without trying to pick on you, but in the LOTR thread you said:

Looks like Ill be renting these on bluray and buying the EE next year I am not getting screwed and buying the damn things 2x.

Years ago when I realized what the movie industry was up to in gouging consumers with dumb special editions i stopped buying them.

Have you not realised that the movie industry is just screwing you over in the same way by getting you re-buy films you already own?

I get what you are trying to say here but The ones I am re-buying are better quality wise and in High Definition much better then dvd all together and I am not running out and re-buying everything I have on bluray.

I am also selling off my previous DVD's to offset the costs as well.

As for another technology coming along and making the resolution higher then HD I don't see that happening for a long long time nor is there any reason for it as HD can look very good on enormously large screens the same cannot be said for DVD movies they are scaled down to a much lower resolution and look very bad when blown up.
BennyBlanco
GLIB

Postby DennisMM on Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:35 pm

Um ... 60, with a few individual titles being duplicated in boxed sets and/or different editions. Not many. I only buy things I really want to own, as was the case with VHS in the old days. Even really cheap items I tend to pass up unless it's something I feel a strong desire to have.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Fievel on Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:06 am

I'm guessing a couple hundred... maybe more. But then I think about the fact that many of them I'll never watch again.... what a waste.
I will not make the mistake again with Blu-Ray. I'll only buy what I know I'll watch over and over again.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Nick on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:46 am

I don't get the appeal of purchasing DVDs or Blu-rays outright unless the extras are great or there is something special about them that makes it better than just grabbing it from Netflix.
-nick
Nick
AICN Crew

Postby TK-421 on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:18 pm

I like owning stuff. I'm an obssessive collector of sorts - not very discriminating in what I buy, but I buy loads. My DVD collection probably passed 1100 a while back, but I only keep track of individual titles so X-Files 1-9 is still just X-Files.

Buying everything just made sense to me, though. I live too far away from civilisation to rent films (hella expensive over here, too), so I always preferred to just get them used. And with the massive back catalogue that is "good films" I'll probably never run out of great finds.

Storage space is a bitch, though. Add to that my expanding book/music collection and the need to keep things relatively tidy and I should probably rethink my "cheap? Get it!" attitude. meh.
TK-421
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby papalazeru on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:23 pm

TK-421 wrote:I like owning stuff. I'm an obssessive collector of sorts - not very discriminating in what I buy, but I buy loads. My DVD collection probably passed 1100 a while back, but I only keep track of individual titles so X-Files 1-9 is still just X-Files.

Buying everything just made sense to me, though. I live too far away from civilisation to rent films (hella expensive over here, too), so I always preferred to just get them used. And with the massive back catalogue that is "good films" I'll probably never run out of great finds.

Storage space is a bitch, though. Add to that my expanding book/music collection and the need to keep things relatively tidy and I should probably rethink my "cheap? Get it!" attitude. meh.

Yay! TK-421 is back.

I thought the rebels knocked you off your post for good there :)

You've had time to watch every title you own? All 1100?

If you have, I saulte you sir.
Papa: The musical!

Padders: "Not very classy! Not very classy at all!"
So Sorry "I'll give you a word to describe it: classless."
Cptn Kirks 2pay: ".....utterly unclassy....."
DennisMM: "...Decidedly unclassy..."
papalazeru
Not very classy! Not very classy at all!!

Postby TK-421 on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:55 pm

papalazeru wrote:If you have, I saulte you sir.

Just quit my reviewing gig so I've got some free time on my hands ;)

Which means I'll get around to watching them all one of these days. If I could just find some volunteers, I could do a Clockwork Orange sitting.
TK-421
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby DennisMM on Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:40 pm

And how're those old comics workin' out for ya? Hope ya like 'em.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby TK-421 on Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:17 am

DennisMM wrote:And how're those old comics workin' out for ya? Hope ya like 'em.

I do! Although I'll be honest and admit I haven't gotten around to reading them all yet. Ordered the huge Alec anthology on the strength of The Dance of Lifey Death, though. Thanks again!

Anyway, I probably ordered around 10 fresh DVDs since I wrote in here the other day. That's.. bad, right?
TK-421
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby minstrel on Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:33 pm

My roomie and I own about 1000 DVDs. What's the point of not owning stuff? I often buy a DVD because I want it, but don't watch it for six months or more. It feels nice knowing it's there for me when I want to see it.
minstrel

Postby DennisMM on Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:37 am

Could be worse. You could own thousands you've never seen, like Quint.

My physical count just went up by ten, as The Prisoner Megaset was in yesterday's mail.
DennisMM

Postby TK-421 on Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:59 pm

DennisMM wrote:Could be worse. You could own thousands you've never seen, like Quint.

Getting there. I just ordered seven more. Also, I could do with a Prisoner megaset. New in Blu or just dull old SD?
TK-421
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:42 pm

I probably own 100 or so. Nothing outrageous. I do have a fairly robust TV on DVD collection, though. My TV on DVD Includes:

West Wing: Complete Series
Original Twilight Zone: Complete Series
Veronica Mars: Complete Series
Smallville: Complete Series
BSG: Complete Series
Doctor Who (2005): Complete Series
Arrested Development: Complete Series
Scrubs: S01, S02
Firefly: Complete Series
Buffy: Complete Series
Angel: Complete Series
Batman TAS: Complete Series
Rome: S01
Voltron: S01
Twin Peaks: Complete Series

I just bought my first Blu Ray's. For those interested I bought:

The Fountain
Star Trek
2001 A Space Odyssey
Into The Wild
The Assassination of Jesse James
Watchmen Ultimate Edition
Superman Returns

Next up for me on Blu Ray:

Synechdoche, New York
Speed Racer
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:52 pm

TK-421 wrote:
DennisMM wrote:Could be worse. You could own thousands you've never seen, like Quint.

Getting there. I just ordered seven more. Also, I could do with a Prisoner megaset. New in Blu or just dull old SD?

The megaset is now available on Blu-Ray, in a couple of regions at least.

I don't own a BR and probably won't until I get a good TV. My current TV is CRT, only 27", and nothing special. Even when I do get something fancier to watch movies on and play them on, I'll be happy with lots of my standard DVDs. I've spent decades looking at far from the best visual quality, so having mostly SD won't matter. With upconvert, the standard discs will look pretty good.
DennisMM

Postby justcheckin on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:36 pm

ok, I was trying really hard to downsize my collection to the essentials. Well, the video store down the street is closing. I bought District 9, 28 Days Later, and Planet Terror. Yep, I added 3 when I shouldn't have.
justcheckin
AIRWOLF

Postby Jabbadonut on Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:22 pm

I wrote movie reviews for 5 years or so, and was sent a lot of DVD's to review. Some were "screeners" (DVD's of movies prior to release) and some were for the purposes of reviewing the DVD itself. I also have bought quite a few over the years. I have no idea how many I have, as I'm not even sure where a lot of them are (stuck in drawers, under the bed, etc). The last DVD I bought was "District 9."

I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet, but I am not buying anymore DVD's that aren't Blu-Ray.

Also, prior to the District 9 DVD, I managed to find the complete "Invader Zim" at Amoeba music. They had one out of print copy left, and I got it for $60 (this was in December, around Christmas). When I got home I looked it up on e-bay and Amazon and the cheapest I found it for was $200. I lucked out big time.

But, no more DVD's for me, just Blu-Ray from now on.
Look! Even Steve is throwing chocolate snowballs . . . oh . . .
Jabbadonut
REAL DRAGON

Postby hawksburn on Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:18 pm

As of today 782 of which 80 are Bluray and 6 are HD-DVD. In fact I've more or less stopped buying DVD's and pretty much only buy Bluray these days.

Last Blurays I purchased were 'The Men Who Stare At Goats','Up In The Air','The Fantastic Mr Fox','Coco Avant Chanel','The Blindside','The Killer','Ninja Asassin','Sherlock Holmes' and 'Where The Wild Things Are'.

Last DVD I purchased was 'Carriers'.
hawksburn
GLIB

Previous

Return to DVD / Blu-ray