Steamboy

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:31 pm

Any good?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

steaming pile of rancid...

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:45 pm

Hated it.

Sure it had good visuals, Otomo can still do destruction like few can...but it just didn't work for me.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:20 am

Dino, I hope you didn't take my advice on this. When I saw it in the theater I was forced to go to the dubbed version. And I just couldn't get over Anna Paquin as a boy, hated the normally reliable Professor X and Doc Ock, didn't like the movie theater itself (it was packed, small seats (keepcool is 6'4'' so leg room is always an issue at the movies)).

But in watching the Director's Cut subtitled, I enjoyed it a whole lot more. The visuals are stunning (although for some reason Otomo's characters movements seem "jerky" to me), the voices are much better in their native language, and since I was able to keep my feet stretched I didn't have that antsy feeling I had watching it the first time.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:45 am

Thank a you, for a the update... The Dino, he gonna check it out.
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:56 am

I picked that up on DVD last week but I still didn't get a chance to watch it yet... I think the concept seems very interesting, so I'm looking forward to seeing it... how exciting is that information?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:32 am

Okay, so I finally watched a the Director's Cut inna the Japanese language... The Dino, he give it a good thumbs up, eh? It seemed like a the big adventure anna I was a happy to go along with it. I dinna watch the English dub yet, but overall, I thought she was a very well done...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Pacino86845 on Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:36 am

I just watched this a couple of days ago, in Jap with subs, and I have to concur with you Dino. It's a very beautiful movie to follow. I also watched that little featurette with creator and artists interviews and goddam, these guys really put a lot of work into that one, eh? I certainly hope there'll be a sequel as the end seems to suggest, with an older Ray Steam.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:10 am

Yeah, I donna get a the hate for a the movie, eh? Maybe the peoples, they were expecting a the flick a to be another "Akira?"

Essentially a what a you have is a very simple story about a the morality of a the science for a 3 generations of a the men inna the Steam a family, set against a the HUGE backdrop of a the London Exhibition...

I think it was a the CHUD reviewer, he said that a the pictures inna the ending credits were a more exciting than a the film itself... Hmm... I donna know what a film he was a watching!
DinoDeLaurentiis

Return to DVD / Blu-ray