Batman Begins, Anyone?

Betamax and beyond

Batman Begins, Anyone?

Postby DennisMM on Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:53 am

I haven't got the BB DVD yet, since I'm comparing prices this weekend. Does anyone have the double-disc set and is willing to talk about it? Thanks.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby wonkabar on Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:57 am

That sucks that they only rent the halk-assed single-disc at Hollywood & BB
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Re: Batman Begins, Anyone?

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:26 am

DennisMM wrote:I haven't got the BB DVD yet, since I'm comparing prices this weekend. Does anyone have the double-disc set and is willing to talk about it? Thanks.

What do you want to know?
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:38 am

DennisMM wrote:I haven't got the BB DVD yet, since I'm comparing prices this weekend. Does anyone have the double-disc set and is willing to talk about it? Thanks.

i'm waiting to buy it used from the local Schlockbuster. Schlockbuster is the worst video store EVER, but they really hook you up with the cheap sell-though used DVD prices...

yo, Dennis, in regards to your sig -- was that yer Lou Reed look? i actually thought thats who it was!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:34 pm

And of course, remember it would take 34,790 years to vaporize Gotham's water supply if one were to use New York as a model, using the most powerful microwaver laser on the planet (the free electron maser at the FOM institute in the Netherlands).
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:50 pm

Adam Balm wrote:And of course, remember it would take 34,790 years to vaporize Gotham's water supply if one were to use New York as a model, using the most powerful microwaver laser on the planet (the free electron maser at the FOM institute in the Netherlands).

You can use it for free? IPAMPILASH at my own pathetic wit.

But is that conduction or convection heating? I think convection within the water itself but conduction through the pipes and boilers initially (don't start).
Last edited by DennisMM on Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:52 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:

What do you want to know?

Extras are my interest. Are the documentaries cool? Is the enclosed special comic cool or just vaguely informative?

I don't buy used stuff from BB anymore because they discard things like the comic and other inserts. Learned this the hard way on the newer edition of The Silence of the Lambs.
DennisMM

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:53 pm

You know, the funny thing is the Kai was right in that the primary heating method in any fluid is going to be convection, but for conduction not to happen at all, you'd need to vacuum insulate each water molecule so they couldn't touch eachother. He could have won that part of the argument if he just said 'Yes conduction happens, but it's not the primary means.' which he didn't.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Flumm on Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:55 pm

34, 790 years?

I might have finished writing this book of mine by that time...

...but then again, I wouldn't wanna rush it.

BTW Dennis, I like you're new Av + Sig. In the sig, you look like the teenage Kevin Bacon's, older, tougher brother.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:57 pm

Adam Balm wrote:You know, the funny thing is the Kai was right in that the primary heating method in any fluid is going to be convection, but for conduction not to happen at all, you'd need to vacuum insulate each water molecule so they couldn't touch eachother. He could have won that part of the argument if he just said 'Yes conduction happens, but it's not the primary means.' which he didn't.

I just extended my query and, damn if it wasn't right! You rock, Adam. And so, through convection, do I.
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:01 pm

Flumm wrote:BTW Dennis, I like you're new Av + Sig. In the sig, you look like the teenage Kevin Bacon's, older, tougher brother.

That's from 1983. I have always thought of that as my "love child of Lou Reed" photo.

Enough fluffing. Actually things to do.
DennisMM

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:28 pm

Yeah, I feel like I'm looking at one of FFC's Outsiders. The pic's definitely a keeper.
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:34 pm

How come the microwave didn't vaporize the water in people's bodies?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:36 pm

A friend bought it, so I haven't seen all the Bonus Material yet.

Since this friend is a female, I got a chance to watch "Shaping Mind and Body" which details Bale's transformation from emaciated (his role in the Mechanic)to buff. "Genesis of the Bat" was about the writing process; informative, and plays up the contributions of Goyer, who while being a terrible director, really comes off like one of us, a fanboy. I could be confusing Genesis with "The Journey Begins", one of those prototypical making of numbers. Informative, but typical.

Didn't get a chance to look at the booklet (yet), but she seemed pretty "meh" about it.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:39 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:How come the microwave didn't vaporize the water in people's bodies?

This was part of the original argument. It depends. I can't remember if anyone was directly hit by the microwave beam or not. I only saw the movie once in the theater and I haven't bought it yet.

Anyone remember?
Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:44 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:A friend bought it, so I haven't seen all the Bonus Material yet.

Since this friend is a female, I got a chance to watch "Shaping Mind and Body" which details Bale's transformation from emaciated (his role in the Mechanic)to buff. "Genesis of the Bat" was about the writing process; informative, and plays up the contributions of Goyer, who while being a terrible director, really comes off like one of us, a fanboy. I could be confusing Genesis with "The Journey Begins", one of those prototypical making of numbers. Informative, but typical.

Didn't get a chance to look at the booklet (yet), but she seemed pretty "meh" about it.

I could do with watching that "Shaping Body & Mind" Doc seeing as that you guys think I look like Bale in the Machinist (I'm not that skinny) how long did it take him to get buff & would it be the sort of thing a THC addicted limey like me could achieve?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:57 pm

I can't remember if anyone was directly hit by the microwave beam or not

No. And they state that explicityly at some point, how the Mazer is pinpoint, and only works on what it was programmed to target.

That doc was funny Locke, 'cuz he just beefed up at first and scared the hell out of everyone involved with the project. He was just big, and they were wondering if he could even fit in the suit. Bale is really funny, doing some spot-on impressions, real down to earth. The stuntmen and trainers apparently love him, very dedicated to his craft, able to memorize the moves very quickly.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Adam Balm on Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:06 pm

keepcoolbutcare wrote:
I can't remember if anyone was directly hit by the microwave beam or not

No. And they state that explicityly at some point, how the Mazer is pinpoint, and only works on what it was programmed to target.

Yeah, I knew Kai was full of shit on that one. He kept claiming that they went right through the beam. What a complete waste of space.

Bale is really funny, doing some spot-on impressions, real down to earth. The stuntmen and trainers apparently love him, very dedicated to his craft, able to memorize the moves very quickly.

I hope they include the deleted scenes showing all his hard work.

And the first costume test footage is interesting:

Adam Balm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:29 pm

It's not every actor who's willing to fold up the deckchairs.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:32 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:

i'm waiting to buy it used from the local Schlockbuster. Schlockbuster is the worst video store EVER, but they really hook you up with the cheap sell-though used DVD prices

Zombie, Blockbuster previously viewed DVDs are going to probably just be the single disc, because that is what they are renting to people. So if you don't care at all (and i mean at all) about extras, go ahead and get this, but single disc is pretty much just the movie. If you want any extras you will probably have to buy the double disc set new...or on ebay or something.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Bean on Mon Oct 24, 2005 12:48 am

I'm so fucking stupid, I thought the DVD would have special features. At least I got a sweet poster for my troubles.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby jordan on Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:52 pm

Best movie this year so far is Batman Begins...
"It's not who I am inside...but what I do that defines me..."
jordan
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Return to DVD / Blu-ray