SUPERMAN ON DVD (1, 2, 3, 4, Donner Cut, and Returns)

Betamax and beyond

SUPERMAN ON DVD (1, 2, 3, 4, Donner Cut, and Returns)

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:31 pm

The kick ass news is over at Superman Homepage.

I read a pretty good synopsis about what is fabled to be in this cut online a while back and there's some pretty cool shit. Apparently, [SPOILER] there's a scene at the beginning where Lois thinks Clark is Superman. She draws glasses around Superman's picture in the paper and confronts him about it. He pretends he doesn't know what she's talking about, so she throws herself out the window to prove the point. He runs downstairs, slows her fall with a gust of superbreath and she crashes into a fruit stand. They even have pictures of Margot Kidder lying in the fruit.

Cool stuff, can't wait to see this.
Last edited by MasterWhedon on Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:44 am

I wonder if they will change that bit with the nuke Supes throws into space from the Eiffel Tower destroying the Phantom Zone back to the missile Supes re-directs from Hackensack New Jersey. in the first film. freeing Zod and the rest...I always hated that whole French bit.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Gentleman on Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:55 am

I'm dying to see this.

Donner's Supes is one of my favorite films and always wished to see Supes 2 as was intended. I doubt there's enough Donner material to make it an entirely-Donner cut, but it'll be better for sure.

And I'm glad Singer "loosely" bases his new film in them.

Still, I don't think its anything but a rumor for now. But it does make sense.
Gentleman
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby Whill Robinson on Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:47 pm

Superman Homepage has a review of an alternative cut of Superman 2:

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/movies/movies.php?topic=sup2-RIC-review

EDIT: Fixed your link. -MW
Whill Robinson
GLIB

Postby Chairman Kaga on Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:46 pm

Some new or perhaps rehashed info
The biggest revelation of the interview concerns plans for "Superman II". Scenes shot by fired director Richard Donner (who directed "Superman: The Movie"), including all of Brando's work for the second film, may finally see the light of day. "There will be a Donner cut [of "Superman II"] from what I hear," Salkind said. "There will apparently be an original cut with the original music and more stuff." Whether the extra footage will be presented as an alternative version of the film or included as a supplement has not yet been determined.

Actor Jack O'Halloran, who played mute super-villain Non in "Superman" and "Superman II" confirmed that Time Warner interviewed him about his work on both films. Like Salkind, O'Halloran believes there will be a Donner version of "Superman II". "I understand they [Time Warner] are letting Donner do his cut of Superman II," O'Halloran said. "We spoke a lot about Donner, whom I like a lot."
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DerLanghaarige on Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:20 pm

It's always interesting to see a different version of a movie.
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:30 pm

I attempted to see the RIC version but I never got the DVD after I paid my money. Grrr.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:43 pm

This is very exciting. I like that they're putting the "old" Batman and Superman movies out in sets marking that particular period. It does a nice job of turning the page for the new films. Very cool.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby TheButcher on Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:54 am

Superman DVD update:
From the Warner chat on HTF last night on the 14-disk Superman DVD Box Set

No definite release date for the Superman 14-disc collection except that it's before X-Mas.

Superman Returns will be a part of the 14-disc Superman collection.

We will be releasing both the extended cut of SUPERMAN THE MOVIE (the one on DVD now) and the original, shorter theatrical version as well. Further, we will be releasing both the SUPERMAN II theatrical cut, and the "Donner cut" both in the box, or available singularly. Lastly, SUPERGIRL is coming, but SUPERGIRL will not be part of the 14 disc SUPERMAN set.

We have located all the footage for SUPERMAN IV, and will be
including a great deal of deleted scenes. But no change in the version.

Source:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/chat/warner2006.txt
http://superherohype.com/news/supermannews.php?id=3889
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby dark wesley on Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:58 am

holy god - 14 disc superman set?
sweet!

I wonder if they'll change the bit where supes wipes Lois Lanes memory with a special kiss at the end. I didnt get that science. anyone?
i wish my middle name was tiberius.
dark wesley
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:35 pm

That's good news regarding the separate cuts of the first two movies and the fact that the second movie will be available individually as well. We'll see how much this set streets for, but I'll probably just end up getting the Donner cut and maybe the first movie if it also hits the shelves in an individual package.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby The Vicar on Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:43 pm

RogueScribner wrote:That's good news regarding the separate cuts of the first two movies and the fact that the second movie will be available individually as well. We'll see how much this set streets for, but I'll probably just end up getting the Donner cut and maybe the first movie if it also hits the shelves in an individual package.

I'm only interested in the first two Supes, & am really keen on seeing Donner's cut. I don't think I have 13 or 14 discs worth of interest in Superman, certainly not at the price I would expect them to set for it.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:44 pm

I am really satisfied with my Superman DVD that was released like 5 years ago. I will probably just pick up the Donner version of II. Actually I will probably rent it first. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around them doing this right. Here's hoping!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:46 pm

burlivesleftnut wrote:I am really satisfied with my Superman DVD that was released like 5 years ago. I will probably just pick up the Donner version of II. Actually I will probably rent it first. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around them doing this right. Here's hoping!

I may get the first one again just so I don't have to suffer through having a flipper disc anymore. Gawd, that's annoying.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:47 pm

haha yeah.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:57 pm

Looking forward to checking out Dick's original cut. Ive seen Supes about 100 times, so the only reason Id even rewatch it is to see the new scenes. Do we have to buy the whole 14 disc box to see this one tho?
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:11 pm

Further, we will be releasing both the SUPERMAN II theatrical cut, and the "Donner cut" both in the box, or available singularly.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby sonnyboo on Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:36 pm

Let's hope the Dick Donner Superman II will be available by itself because, no offense to Richard Lester, but the original Superman II sucked donkey dicks. I have the bootleg DVD of Superman II Dick Donner International Cut and it's very different and the remastered real version should kick ass. There's even a text track (like subtitles) that tell you when a scene or even a shot is a Richard Donner or Richard Lester shot. It's very informative on the bootleg, so let's hope there's something equally good on the real deal.

I'd never buy a 14 DVD set of the original Superman movies. I liked I & liked parts of II, but lived this long without seeing more than 8 minutes of iV and would like to make it my entire life without seeing more than that.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Captain_Fucking_Magic on Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:14 pm

The Donner cut will be available buy itself. There will be a ludicrious amount of Superman sets this November. A Christopher Reeve Collection with the 4 disc Superman 1, 2 Disc Superman II, and 1 disc Superman III and IV. Then Donner seperately. Then Superman Returns 2 disc. Then a Superman Returns 1 Disc. Then there will be an Ultimate Collection with Superman I-IV, the Donner Cut, Superman Returns, and Look, up in the sky! It no longer will include Supergirl, which will also be released. So I think it will actually be 12 discs, 13 tops.
Captain_Fucking_Magic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Brocktune on Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:25 pm

sonnyboo wrote:Let's hope the Dick Donner Superman II will be available by itself because, no offense to Richard Lester, but the original Superman II sucked donkey dicks. I have the bootleg DVD of Superman II Dick Donner International Cut and it's very different and the remastered real version should kick ass. There's even a text track (like subtitles) that tell you when a scene or even a shot is a Richard Donner or Richard Lester shot. It's very informative on the bootleg, so let's hope there's something equally good on the real deal.

I'd never buy a 14 DVD set of the original Superman movies. I liked I & liked parts of II, but lived this long without seeing more than 8 minutes of iV and would like to make it my entire life without seeing more than that.

thats a lot of dicks!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sonnyboo on Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:39 pm

I have issues with dicks.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Brocktune on Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:01 pm

who doesnt?
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:16 pm

Captain_Fucking_Magic wrote:The Donner cut will be available buy itself. There will be a ludicrious amount of Superman sets this November. A Christopher Reeve Collection with the 4 disc Superman 1, 2 Disc Superman II, and 1 disc Superman III and IV. Then Donner seperately. Then Superman Returns 2 disc. Then a Superman Returns 1 Disc. Then there will be an Ultimate Collection with Superman I-IV, the Donner Cut, Superman Returns, and Look, up in the sky! It no longer will include Supergirl, which will also be released. So I think it will actually be 12 discs, 13 tops.

You forgot about the 18 disc Superman Legacy boxset with accompanying CD soundtracks, Panini sticker album and limited edition film cel.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Captain_Fucking_Magic on Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:40 pm

Fried Gold wrote:You forgot about the 18 disc Superman Legacy boxset with Panini.

It comes with a sandwich?
Captain_Fucking_Magic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Brocktune on Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:42 pm

lol
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:26 am

Captain_Fucking_Magic wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:You forgot about the 18 disc Superman Legacy boxset with Panini.

It comes with a sandwich?

You need something to keep up your strength after lugging it around.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Captain_Fucking_Magic on Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:02 am

http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?name=News&file= article&sid=5565

Seems this artwork got leaked over at this website which is in Spanish. I hope this doesn't mean it's only going to be released in other regions. I'll have to find out on Tuesday.
Captain_Fucking_Magic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:23 am

The Superman home page has the dvd cover art also.
The Fleischer Superman cartoons are going to be part of the special edition of Superman: The Movie!
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby sonnyboo on Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:24 pm

According to the official Warner video (http://www.totaleclips.com/player/Splas ... liateid=-1) the Richard Donner cut will NOT be released seperately...

that really sucks.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Captain_Fucking_Magic on Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:55 pm

sonnyboo wrote:According to the official Warner video (http://www.totaleclips.com/player/Splas ... liateid=-1) the Richard Donner cut will NOT be released seperately...

that really sucks.
Ummm... it doesn't say it's not sold seperately. It specifically shows the four films in the boxset and then the Donner cut in its own case. What's odd is that I've seen that cover art, but it wasn't the one I've seen as the decided on art (though its possible what I saw was a store exclusive or just a slipcover).
Captain_Fucking_Magic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Chairman Kaga on Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:19 am

Man that trailer makes me soooo psyched to see Donner's cut.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby lujho on Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:04 pm

TheButcher wrote:The Fleischer Superman cartoons are going to be part of the special edition of Superman: The Movie!

Half will be in the S:TM set, the other half (the "Famour Studios" ones) are on the SUperman 2 set.

I hope they release them on their own though, they're classic works of animation and deserve more attention than just being slipped in with the movies. Christ, I like 'em better than the movies.
Luke
lujho
GLIB

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:53 pm

The Fleischer Shorts have already been out for years on DVD. One version is in fact really nice wile the others are pretty crappy transfers.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Captain_Fucking_Magic on Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:48 pm

Just as I thought, now that they've announced the date of Superman Returns release (what a shock. on the same day as the other Superman dvds. who'da thunk it.) WB has also OFFICIALLY announced the 14 disc Superman Ultimate Collection.

Last edited by Captain_Fucking_Magic on Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Captain_Fucking_Magic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:13 pm

God that looks beautiful . . . and expensive!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Geeklord on Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:13 pm

Anyone compile a list of expected changes?
"And you'll never have to" - Batman right after he began
Geeklord
GLIB

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:22 pm

I heard they are gonnadigitally turn his cape ochre! (and add a wheelchair).
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby TheButcher on Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:51 am

Here is a link for box art of the Donner cut of Superman II:
http://supermanhomepage.com/images/chris-reeve-movies/sup2-donner-dvd-tb.html
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby sonnyboo on Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:20 am

Plus the BACK COVER of the Donner Superman II

MOD FIXED
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby lujho on Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:04 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:The Fleischer Shorts have already been out for years on DVD. One version is in fact really nice wile the others are pretty crappy transfers.

But these are brand new restorations by WB and will look significantly better than the best of the existing versions (which I have).
Luke
lujho
GLIB

Postby Chairman Kaga on Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:40 am

lujho wrote:
Chairman Kaga wrote:The Fleischer Shorts have already been out for years on DVD. One version is in fact really nice wile the others are pretty crappy transfers.

But these are brand new restorations by WB and will look significantly better than the best of the existing versions (which I have).

But no one mentioned that so um....bugfuggle!
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:53 am

Has this been delayed? I think I heard it was.... can anyone confirm release date?

Kaga - you seem like a man in the know - can you confirm...

I NEED IT damn it.... CONFIRM CONFIRM CONFIRM! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Captain_Fucking_Magic on Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:12 am

Why would it have been delayed? All the Superman dvds come out on Nov 28th.
Captain_Fucking_Magic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby sonnyboo on Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:04 pm

Availability: This title will be released on November 28, 2006.

Click here to pre-order Superman II the Donner Cut

FYI - I stand corrected, it is definately available as it's own disc...
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Ribbons on Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:19 am

Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:31 am

You can get a SUPER HUGE MEGA DELUXE BOXSET with everythingin including a 2 disc Special Edition of Superman Returns! snoogins! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:54 am

I thought that opening was kind of funny. :)

Now I really want to see the new DVD!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:16 pm

Captain_Fucking_Magic wrote:Just as I thought, now that they've announced the date of Superman Returns release (what a shock. on the same day as the other Superman dvds. who'da thunk it.) WB has also OFFICIALLY announced the 14 disc Superman Ultimate Collection.

Check out the specs:

DISC 1- Superman The Movie
* Original 1978 theatrical version with Commentary by producer Pierre Spengler and executive producer Ilya Salkind
* Theatrical trailers, TV Spots
* Soundtrack in Dolby Digital 5.1

DISC 2- Superman The Movie
* 2001 expanded edition movie with commentary by director Richard Donner & creative consultant Tom Mankiewicz
* Music-only audio track

DISC 3- Superman The Movie
* Taking Flight: The Development of Superman
* Making Superman: Filming the Legend
* The Magic Behind the Cape
* Restored scenes
* Screen tests
* Audio-only bonus: additional music cues

DISC 4- Superman The Movie
* Vintage TV special The Making of Superman the Movie
* 1951 Movie Superman and the Mole-Men, starring George Reeves
* 9 Fleischer Studios Superman cartoons mastered from superior vault elements

DISC 5- Superman II
* Movie with commentary by producer Pierre Spengler and executive producer Ilya Salkind
* Additional scenes (over 8 minutes worth)

DISC 6- Superman II
* Vintage TV specials The Making of Superman II & Superman's 50th Anniversary
* New featurette First Flight: The Fleischer Superman Series
* The Remaining 8 Fleischer Studios Superman cartoons mastered from superior vault elements

DISC 7- Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
*All new introduction by director Richard Donner
*Commentary by director Richard Donner and creative consultant Tom Mankiewicz
*New featurette Superman II: Restoring the Vision
*Additional scenes
*Dolby Digital 5.1

DISC 7- Superman III
* Movie with commentary by producer Pierre Spengler and executive producer Ilya Salkind
* Vintage TV special The Making of Superman III
* Additional scenes (over 19 minutes worth)
* Theatrical trailer

DISC 9- Superman IV: The Quest for Peace
* Movie with commentary by screenwriter Mark Rosenthal
* Additional scenes (over 30 minutes worth!)
* Theatrical trailer

DISC 10- Superman Returns
*Theatrical cut
*Dolby Digital 5.1

DISC 11- Superman Returns
*Requiem for Krypton: Making Superman Returns 3hr multi-part documentary
*Deleted Scenes

DISC 12- You'll believe: Making of A Saga
*All-new six-part documentary about the original theatrical franchise
*Forging the Man of Steel- Superman in the media, and the challenges the Salkinds faced
*Creating the Vision- creating the right script, choosing the right director and casting the right actors
*Believe- the production and launch of a new kind of fantasy film
*Crisis- complications and conflicts between the creative forces behind Superman II
*Downfall- criticisms and burnout of Superman III and Superman IV
*Legacy- filmmakers, writers and artists reflect
*Bonus New Documentaries- The Mythology of Superman, The Science of Superman, Remembering Christopher Reeve

DISC 13- Look, Up in the Sky! The Amazing Story of Superman
*Kevin Burns documentary on Superman's history

DISC 14- Bryan Singer's blogs
*All the web blogs plus two never-before-seen

The Ultimate box is encased in a keepsake tin and also includes a reprint of the Superman comic book issue #7, a Superman overview booklet and a mail-in offer for 5 reproduction Superman theatrical movie posters.

Amazon has it for $69.99 + FREE SHIPPING! I was originally only planning on getting the Richard Donner cut and SR, but damn, I may have to put in some overtime so I can buy this!!!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby MasterWhedon on Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:23 pm

14 discs is a little too much of a good (and occasionally mediocre) thing to me. I'll likely be buying the Special Edition of 1, the Donner Cut of 2 and Returns.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby DennisMM on Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:42 pm

At that price, the bigass collection is a solstice wish item.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Next

Return to DVD / Blu-ray