SUPERMAN ON DVD (1, 2, 3, 4, Donner Cut, and Returns)

Betamax and beyond

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:05 am

Anyone watch SR on DVD yet? A lot of the darker scenes looked like crap on my TV. I'm wondering if it's the DVD or my TV that's the problem. The video looked pretty low quality in these scenes (lots of artifacts and color banding especially in the cgi scenes). If the movie looked that bad in the theater I would have thrown a fit!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Captain_Fucking_Magic on Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:35 am

From DVDtalk's review:

"The film was reportedly shot entirely on high-definition video, so the limitations of certain scenes are likely due to the source material, not the transfer. Certain outdoor scenes look remarkably crisp, vibrant and colorful, while darker sequences display mild amounts of grain and seem slightly muddy."
Captain_Fucking_Magic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:49 am

I can handle "mild grain" and "slightly muddy" colors. The color banding was pretty harsh, though. It's like someone compressed the hell out of the image. It looked like complete crap. I wonder how the HD version looks?
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Captain_Fucking_Magic on Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:57 am

If anyone sees a blu-ray review of it let me know.
Captain_Fucking_Magic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby sonnyboo on Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:25 pm

I've watched Superman II; RICHARD DONNER CUT, and aside from being a bit rough around the edges, qualioty wise in terms of FX & the ending - it was so much freakin' better than the piece of shiite that Ricahrd Lester made. I can only imagine what Dick Donner would have done if he had the menas back THEN to finish it his way. It was so much more emotionally gratifying this way.

Also to go straight from that cut last night & watch SUPERMAN RETURNS, they DEFINATELY made a sequel to the Richard Donner cut of Superman II...

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

-=-===-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

In this version, Superman bangs Lois BEFORE losing powers, and the lines of dialogue from Jor-El link to Superman II in Returns. Plus, the whole idea of the Fortress still being there, Lois not knowing who he is, etc. all link to the DONNER version of II for continuity.

I really dig this universe and homage to Donner's Superman.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Captain_Fucking_Magic on Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:40 pm

sonnyboo wrote:\

Also to go straight from that cut last night & watch SUPERMAN RETURNS, they DEFINATELY made a sequel to the Richard Donner cut of Superman II...

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

In this version, Superman bangs Lois BEFORE losing powers, and the lines of dialogue from Jor-El link to Superman II in Returns. Plus, the whole idea of the Fortress still being there, Lois not knowing who he is, etc. all link to the DONNER version of II for continuity.

Ummm... except for the whole NEGATING THE ENTIRE MOVIE part. Superman never banged Lois.
Captain_Fucking_Magic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:36 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Anyone watch SR on DVD yet? A lot of the darker scenes looked like crap on my TV. I'm wondering if it's the DVD or my TV that's the problem. The video looked pretty low quality in these scenes (lots of artifacts and color banding especially in the cgi scenes). If the movie looked that bad in the theater I would have thrown a fit!

From what I've read it's an issue with compression, not the source.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:18 pm

The video quality bummed me out. I was really looking forward to watching the movie.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Captain_Fucking_Magic on Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:32 pm

Yeah, wow, the scenes under water at the end are really ass ugly. Definitely gonna have to check out the Blu-Ray (though I still haven't seen any reviews for it).
Captain_Fucking_Magic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:37 pm

Argh, if Singer wanted to do a homage to a twenty year old movie he coulda made a comic. Instead we get a Superman who's sucking his thumb whilst listening to Coheed and Cambria. It's like getting a Trivium album when you asked for Ride The Lightning.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:39 pm

RogueScribner wrote:The video quality bummed me out. I was really looking forward to watching the movie.

It's strange really, with it being shot on digital format I would have thought it'd be a flawless transfer - akin to Attack of the Clones & Revenge of the Sith.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MattXFLexicon on Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:22 am

I just watched the Donner cut of Superman II, I enjoyed it and was surprised with how cohesive it seemed, considering everything.

The turning back the world sequence didn't bother me nearly as much as I expected, it made sense. I think you could rationalize that idea being used in both I and II, even if it might be a stretch.

The Brando stuff really justifies this and SR makes (nearly) complete sense to me now. There's still some continuity issues still as far as story goes.

This definitely belongs up there up on the shelf along with Robert Wise's re-stored / re-imaged cut of ST:TMP.

Just curious, Are all of the extras in the new DVD Lester version, make it worth while?
MattXFLexicon
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby shakermakerman on Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:33 pm

i just watch the extended version of superman 1 but didnt see much difference, but now gunna watch superman 2 the donner cut, i just felt by law i had to watch the first one first lol.
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Fried Gold on Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:13 pm

I haven't bought the mega-box, as I there's a lot of stuff in there that I probably wouldn't watch.

I have ordered the II special edition and Returns though.

I'd consider the boxset in future though when it's half price.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Browntown Johnny on Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:15 am

Superman II: Dick Donners Cut
http://www.browntownjohnny.com/index.php

Was the world waiting for a recut of "Superman II"...hell yes. 1979's sequel to Richard Donner's spectacular "Superman" was scrapped and reshot (mostly by Richard Lester for contractual reasons, only using Donner's scenes with Gene Hackman). The new release of Warner's "Director Richard Donner's Cut" has found and cut the movie to it's original idea. The fist cut was pretty good, I loved it! The new cut is suprisingly kinetic, with a better story. It's not as tight, do to sloppy overdubs and some scenes don't work as well as Lester's film (the Honeymoon scene when Clark gives his identity to Lois was better with Lester's cut).

The Donner version has a stronger story, and Marlon Brando's part has been added to full effect with a shared screen with Christopher Reeve (awesome work by Donner). The ending fit's the "Superman I" follow-up (much like the Godfather films) that sets up the future films for better storylines (which never happened in III or IV...Hollywood sucks). Reeve is just amazing in Donner's work (Chris was very angry about the re-shoot).

The restored sequences are color corrected and very broad in scope. The new edit of the final battle with Gen Zod (oh boy .....this is great) and his Superhenchmen work wonders to be less stagey then Lester's film even though it's Lester's shots being edited. The DVD has a commentary by Donner and Tom Manikowitz (the final writer) that show some bitterness but very insightful. Heres an Idea....let Donner direct the next Superman! Might just work! It's a Bird ...It's a Plane...It's ....Browntown.
Browntown Johnny
GLIB

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:48 am

Captain_Fucking_Magic wrote:
sonnyboo wrote:\

*** SPOILER ALERT ***

Ummm... except for the whole NEGATING THE ENTIRE MOVIE part. Superman never banged Lois.

That we know of. Who's to say he doesn't do her at some point off camera between this film and SR.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby shakermakerman on Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:35 pm

Well iv watched superman 2 Donners cut and im just about to watch it again and all im going to say is, Richard Lester, Richard Donner owns youre arse mate.....
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby John-Locke on Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:38 pm

I just watched the Donner cut too, it's a much better film, obviously it has some flaws but thats besides the point, I could nitpick about a load of things but I won't bother.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby sonnyboo on Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:31 pm

Browntown Johnny wrote: some scenes don't work as well as Lester's film (the Honeymoon scene when Clark gives his identity to Lois was better with Lester's cut).

You're fucking kidding me....

"I slipped and kinda sorta burnt my hand... and I'm SUperman"

is supposed to be better than

"You could have killed Clark, Lois."
"What? With Blanks?"

NO WAY
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:00 pm

I think people judge Lester too harshly. It seems he tried to make the best of the situation and Superman II ended up being a pretty good film.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby The Ginger Man on Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:14 pm

Fried Gold wrote:I think people judge Lester too harshly. It seems he tried to make the best of the situation and Superman II ended up being a pretty good film.

Uh...yeah. Wasn't it just a few years ago that Superman 2 was considered one of the best comic book films every made?
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby The Ginger Man on Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:19 pm

So. Not to bring back an old argument, BUT.... Superherohype has an interview up with Bryan Singer where he discusses the spirtual side of Superman Returns.

http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=4972

I know there was a big ruckus awhile back about Superman being a Jesus allegory. Well, I thought about that as I read this and couldn't help laughing.

Bryan Singer wrote:If you're going to have lines like Marlon Brando saying, "I send them you—my only son." And there being spoken with absolute seriousness, then when you carry it forward and you have him return after five years, face an immeasurable conflict and then… I mean, it's all... I mean, if you're going to tell that story, you've got to tell it all the way. You've got scouring at the pillar, the spear of destiny, death, resurrection, it's all there. And I remember sitting with one of my writers and we were watching the visual effects of him [Superman] falling to Earth. And his hands are extended and he falls to Earth in that very [crucifixion pose]...and he [the writer] looked at me—and he went to Catholic school, it's very interesting—and he looked at me and he said, "Are we…?" He said, "Are we…? Shouldn't he open his legs a little bit more? Are we…? Is this too on the nose?" And I said, "If we're telling this story…"
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby Captain_Fucking_Magic on Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:04 pm

The writer should have argued better against it.
Captain_Fucking_Magic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:39 pm

Captain_Fucking_Magic wrote:The writer should have argued better against it.

Watching it again, I see what he means about the spear of destiny and such.

Hey, what better story to tell than that of a Jesus allegory?

Besides, Superman Returns tells a better Jesus story than the Nativity Story.

What does that say about teh son of God?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Captain_Fucking_Magic on Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:57 pm

ONeillSG1 wrote:
Any other story. How bout something original.
Captain_Fucking_Magic
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby The Ginger Man on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:00 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:What does that say about teh son of God?

That more people would go to church if Jesus had heat vision?
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:07 am

Captain_Fucking_Magic wrote:
ONeillSG 1 wrote:
Any other story. How bout something original.

Why would a Jesus allegory stop Hollywood from breaking the status quo?

EDIT:

The Ginger Man wrote:
ONeillSG1 wrote:What does that say about teh son of God?

That more people would go to church if Jesus had heat vision?

Actually I was thinking X-ray vision.
Last edited by ONeillSG1 on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby DennisMM on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:19 am

They don't get it. Superman is not a Jesus allegory and he's not a Moses allegory except in a very limited way. Superman is a Jewish immigrant passing for Christian in the American goyische world. He has to learn to be who THEY are.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:50 am

That's unpossible Dennis. :p
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:54 am

DennisMM wrote:They don't get it. Superman is not a Jesus allegory and he's not a Moses allegory except in a very limited way. Superman is a Jewish immigrant passing for Christian in the American goyische world. He has to learn to be who THEY are.

Throw that in there with the Jesus Allegory, the whole father/son storyline and the lack of a past like an adopted child and

BOOM!!!

SUPERMAN STEW!!!

ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:55 am

THEPASSIONOFTHEKRYPTONIANILASH
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby buster00 on Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:19 pm

If they can find a way to digitally erase Jar-Jar-El from the movie, then maybe I'll watch Superman Returns again.

I dunno, maybe cover up the kid with a big cactus or something.
buster00
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:22 pm

Replace him with Krypto.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:42 am

buster00 wrote:I dunno, maybe cover up the kid with a big cactus or something.

Hehehe... like a the "Eyes Wide Shut: Kryptonite Edition," no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby svefn_genglar_77 on Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:35 am

Yeah, Richard Lester shouldn't be blamed. The Salkinds should be blamed.
Richard Donner's cut is far better too.
svefn_genglar_77
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby shakermakerman on Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:08 am

Superman Rerturns on dvd is pretty bad quality and iv just bought an HD tv. :cry:
shakermakerman
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:31 pm

I got the Superman Returns bonus materials from Netflix (waiting for the SOOPER Edition before purchasing), and I have to say I find Bryan Singer to be an annoying, incredibly pompous dickface. I've championed the guy over Brett Ratner for quite some time now, and while I think he's EASILY the superior filmmaker, it's a toss-up at this point as to who I'd rather share a beer with.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:36 pm

What about him MW? I haven't seen much behind the scenes stuff for SR.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:39 pm

Singer comes across, to me, as just being quite uncomfortable and nervous on camera.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tapehead on Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:43 pm

He seemd alright on the production diaries and EPK for Apt Pupil and Usual suspects that I recall - a little nervy, somewhat precious... on second thoughts you're right; He's probably more a Chardonnay or Gin and Tonic kind of guy anyway.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:03 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:What about him MW? I haven't seen much behind the scenes stuff for SR.

Part of it might be that I just hated the behind the scenes doc itself. It tried too hard to have... personality--and I thought it just came off as trite.

Singer just feels like he's always mugging for the camera, like he's always putting on a show. The charm of a guy like Peter Jackson on his Kong Production Diaries is that he knew the cameras were around, but he didn't put on a show for them. He let them capture the world and would addresses them with a refreshing frankness, but he never felt like he was trying to impress, even when he was.

Singer also mentions at one point that he's prone to freak-outs when he gets frustrated about things not going his way. I can COMPLETELY relate on this point, but I get turned off when I see a 40-year-old guy whining--yes, whining--like a petulant child.

I don't know. Maybe it's me, but I was WAY turned off to the guy, at least on a "personal" level.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:09 pm

Aside from Singer's personality, it found the documentary slightly disappointing in that it appeared to only be half there.

We see a lot about planning and pre-production and lot about actual filming, but then it seems to end without us seeing how they completed the film. It needed a third segment.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:15 pm

Yeah, where the hell was all the visaul effects stuff? We saw some pretty greenscreen photography, but where's the compositing and the digital Superman?
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:19 pm

That's what I thought. Apart from the Jor-El CG thing (which was already online) there is nothing that shows us how they finished the movie. Which is suprising because of all the detail they went into showing you what went into the physical designs.

And also because they keep going on about the CG Daily Planet globe....
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:27 pm

I'm pretty turned off when it comes to Superman these days. I think his entire character has definitely been ruined by Superman Returns. I still feel it was really a bad idea to try to do a new film, its just not a character that fits into today's world. He just isnt the Superman I grew up on and it disgusts me frankly. I'm through with Superman. That character shouldve died with Chris Reeve IMO.

Spider Man is my favorite super hero, so I'm really looking forward to SM 3. Spidey IS a super hero that fits in with the modern world. I'm glad a guy like Sam Raimi is working on the project too.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chairman Kaga on Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:31 pm

ZZS is that you?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:24 pm

WinslowLeach wrote:I'm pretty turned off when it comes to Superman these days. I think his entire character has definitely been ruined by Superman Returns. I still feel it was really a bad idea to try to do a new film, its just not a character that fits into today's world. He just isnt the Superman I grew up on and it disgusts me frankly. I'm through with Superman. That character shouldve died with Chris Reeve IMO.

Spider Man is my favorite super hero, so I'm really looking forward to SM 3. Spidey IS a super hero that fits in with the modern world. I'm glad a guy like Sam Raimi is working on the project too.

Oh, so you mean you want a whiney, irritating superhero. It makes sense then that you look forward to Spider-Man 3.

To say that Superman Returns "disgusts" you is hyperbole.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby WinslowLeach on Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:03 pm

Whiny and irritating? I dont think so. Its called being a human being. Spider Man is my fav super hero and the Spidey films from Sam make Superman Returns look even more like the utter crap it is.

Superman Returns doesnt even make the cut when I talk about good super hero movies. I'm being completely honest. Anyone whos seen all the films and knows the character well should just know its a horrendous piece of crap. I dont know how anyone with a love for the Superman character can even like that film.

And what the hell did they do to the costume? Its like they shit smeared the legacy of the character.

I think Singer should direct Dumbledore soap operas and leave super hero movies alone.
Last edited by WinslowLeach on Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:06 pm

I gotta to agree with a the Winslow... Superman Returns, she was a pretty bad, no? Especially a the whole Lex Luthor Grand Scheme, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:07 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:I gotta to agree with a the Winslow... Superman Returns, she was a pretty bad, no? Especially a the whole Lex Luthor Grand Scheme, eh?

I didn't mind the scheme, thought it was pretty cool, but Lex was a weak character and Spacey was boring as fuck. And I usually dig Spacey.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

PreviousNext

Return to DVD / Blu-ray