Page 2 of 3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:57 am
by Maui
You know what is truly funny about the Spinal Tap movie - is that people actually thought that Spinal Tap was a REAL band. That idea is even funnier than the movie.

I could seriously keep this thread alive forever. This is my all time favourite movie. I just love it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:00 pm
by Pacino86845
Please do! Your bumping of this thread reminded me that I should rewatch this soon!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:02 pm
by Maui
Pacino86845 wrote:Please do! Your bumping of this thread reminded me that I should rewatch this soon!



I loved how Nigel had a thing for David. He was jealous of the girlfriend. They played that in a very amusing way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:24 pm
by stereosforgeeks
The divorce ad:

"Isn't there a law against this sort of thing? Surely you can't just buy a full page ad in the music papers and publish your divorce demands.... What do you mean 'I paid for it'?... Joint account! Fuck! Can't we just have her killed? You know people. "

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:41 pm
by St. Alphonzo
Anybody see the Live Earth Spinal Tap performance? Pretty much every bassist from every band performing that day on the stage together doing "Big Bottom". Classic. David St. Hubbins doing the introductions:

"And on the bass...
And on the bass...
On the bass guitar...
And on the bass...."

That part alone took a good five minutes. The performance itself wasn't great, but damn that was funny!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:44 pm
by Maui
St. Alphonzo wrote:Anybody see the Live Earth Spinal Tap performance? Pretty much every bassist from every band performing that day on the stage together doing "Big Bottom". Classic. David St. Hubbins doing the introductions:

"And on the bass...
And on the bass...
On the bass guitar...
And on the bass...."

That part alone took a good five minutes. The performance itself wasn't great, but damn that was funny!


Big bottom, big bottom talk about bum cakes, my girl's got 'em

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:50 pm
by Cha-Ka Khan
Maui wrote:I loved how Nigel had a thing for David. He was jealous of the girlfriend. They played that in a very amusing way.


I always thought that was supposed to be a take on the Beatles and the whole Yoko thing.

Or perhaps Linda McCartney?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:54 pm
by Maui
Cha-Ka Khan wrote:
Maui wrote:I loved how Nigel had a thing for David. He was jealous of the girlfriend. They played that in a very amusing way.


I always thought that was supposed to be a take on the Beatles and the whole Yoko thing.

Or perhaps Linda McCartney?


Interesting...perhaps a little of both.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:55 pm
by Pacino86845
Could it be any more black and white?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:56 pm
by DennisMM
Maui wrote:
Pacino86845 wrote:Please do! Your bumping of this thread reminded me that I should rewatch this soon!



I loved how Nigel had a thing for David. He was jealous of the girlfriend. They played that in a very amusing way.


That's how they got the cold sores, isn't it? They shared a groupie and probably more without it being made explicit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:57 pm
by DennisMM
Maui wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:Anybody see the Live Earth Spinal Tap performance? Pretty much every bassist from every band performing that day on the stage together doing "Big Bottom". Classic. David St. Hubbins doing the introductions:

"And on the bass...
And on the bass...
On the bass guitar...
And on the bass...."

That part alone took a good five minutes. The performance itself wasn't great, but damn that was funny!


Big bottom, big bottom talk about bum cakes, my girl's got 'em


It took me ages and ages to recognize the double meaning of "big bottom," but my brain doesn't work like other people's.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:22 pm
by Maui
DennisMM wrote:
That's how they got the cold sores, isn't it? They shared a groupie and probably more without it being made explicit.


Yup!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:04 pm
by CubanB
I always took pride in that they filmed the "Puppet show and Spinal Tap" scene in my hometown of Stockton, California.
"It was supposed to read "Spinal Tap and Puppet Show."

That place they filmed at actually had puppet shows. They still might, I haven't been there in awhile.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:43 pm
by Maui
CubanB wrote:I always took pride in that they filmed the "Puppet show and Spinal Tap" scene in my hometown of Stockton, California.
"It was supposed to read "Spinal Tap and Puppet Show."

That place they filmed at actually had puppet shows. They still might, I haven't been there in awhile.


Seriously, Stockton? cool.


That scene always cracks me up - the sign which puts Spinal Tap secondary to the puppets. hahahahah!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:07 pm
by sonnyboo
Maui wrote:
DennisMM wrote:
That's how they got the cold sores, isn't it? They shared a groupie and probably more without it being made explicit.


Yup!


It wasn't a groupie - it was their opening act's lead singer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:40 pm
by VegasRon
Anyone remember their "reunion" shows and mini-tour in the mid to late 90s?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:54 am
by sonnyboo
VegasRon wrote:Anyone remember their "reunion" shows and mini-tour in the mid to late 90s?


I saw them in Cincinnati and Cleveland in 1992. There was a TV special on New Year's eve on one of the major networks with a completely alternate version of THE RETURN OF SPINAL TAP. In this broadcast version, Jeff Beck gets interviewed, plus Robin Williams, Martin Short, and Jamie Lee Curtis - none of which was on the DVD for the concert in the UK and interviews on the RETURN OF SPINAL TAP DVD/Laserdisc/VHS.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:53 am
by Maui
sonnyboo wrote:
Maui wrote:
Denni sMM wrote:
That's how they got the cold sores, isn't it? They shared a groupie and probably more without it being made explicit.


Yup!


It wasn't a groupie - it was their opening act's lead singer.



Really? I got that one wrong - duh!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:41 pm
by sonnyboo
Maui wrote:
sonnyboo wrote:
Maui wrote:
Denni sMM wrote:
That's how they got the cold sores, isn't it? They shared a groupie and probably more without it being made explicit.


Yup!


It wasn't a groupie - it was their opening act's lead singer.



Really? I got that one wrong - duh!


Really. Part of the joke about it is that when everyone sees how good the opening act is, the manager tries to get them kicked off, then each band member sleeps with her THEN they kick her & her band off the tour.

There are tons of deleted scenes on the SPECIAL EDITION DVD and even a bunch of alternate, different material on the CRITERION DVD/LD.

Spinal tap extras

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:23 pm
by jlmace
On the extra footage, there is a scene where their driver (Bruno Kirby) comes up to their hotel room, and at the bands urging, ends up smoking pot for the first time. The scene is priceless, as Kirby ends up in his briefs and dress shoes singing a Frank Sinatra song into a pizza crust. He is bleary-eyed and sweating, and I think he was actually stoned in real life. The fact that this classic scene did not even make the final cut shows how incredibly funny the movie is. It's probably my all-time favorite comedy.

Re: Spinal tap extras

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:54 pm
by Maui
jlmace wrote:On the extra footage, there is a scene where their driver (Bruno Kirby) comes up to their hotel room, and at the bands urging, ends up smoking pot for the first time. The scene is priceless, as Kirby ends up in his briefs and dress shoes singing a Frank Sinatra song into a pizza crust. He is bleary-eyed and sweating, and I think he was actually stoned in real life. The fact that this classic scene did not even make the final cut shows how incredibly funny the movie is. It's probably my all-time favorite comedy.


Oh yeah, I remember that scene. It was quite funny to watch.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:29 am
by MonkeyM666
I have to be honest and say that I've never seen this. :oops: I don't really know why but it's never really been around. Is it still funny? Is it still current?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:53 am
by Seppuku
MonkeyM666 wrote:I have to be honest and say that I've never seen this. :oops: I don't really know why but it's never really been around. Is it still funny? Is it still current?


This is my favourite scene in the movie, even though it's not technically in the movie. It's also got monkeys (well...technically they're apes)! Watch and decide yourself!

If you don't find that funny, then I'd probably give it a miss. I have encountered people who don't think Spinal Tap is one of the funniest movies ever made in my time, but I've also run into people who are convinced they're really vampires as well, so I'd take that with a pinch of salt.

Also, maybe the knowledge of a few rock movies (Gimme Shelter, The Last Waltz and especially Let it Be) might help, but it's not exactly essential.

"Is it current." Maybe not, though when you think that Metallica only released "Some Kind of Monster" a couple of years back and showed themselves up as the real Spinal Tap, it might be. I think it's probably better now than it was when it was first released. I PAMPILASH whenever I think about the hair metal fans who were pissed off at Spinal Tap making fun of their image. They were grown men dressed in lycra and twenty pounds of hair spray, for chrissakes. They didn't need Spinal Tap to be made fun of.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:43 am
by so sorry
I don't think Spinal Tap is dated at all (despite the noticeable lack of hair-metal bands these days).

I can't believe I don't own this DVD actually.. I have to remedy that soon.

And its a different kind of funny. Sometimes laugh out loud funny, sometimes giggle funny, etc.

Check it our Monkey.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:48 am
by WinslowLeach
"What if we record it in Doubly?"

"In WHAT?...in what?"

"Doubly"

"Its Dolby!!"

(laughs)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:53 am
by tapehead
MonkeyM666 wrote:I have to be honest and say that I've never seen this. :oops: I don't really know why but it's never really been around. Is it still funny? Is it still current?


I've got the two disc special edition and I'll loan it to you - you'll love it, and then come back here and add to the love and adoration for one of the funniest movies. It's that kind of still pretty rare Ironic American humour that the Simpsons at it's best is characterised by - snarky, satirical, but very affectionate of it's subject matter.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:29 pm
by sonnyboo
MonkeyM666 wrote:Is it still current?


You'd have to ask the current producers of THE OFFICE (UK or US) or any Reality Show on TV today...

They have all cribbed from THIS IS SPINAL TAP. It was well over 20 years ahead of it's time with faux documentary style and interviews for setups & payoffs. Comic genius.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:37 am
by MonkeyM666
Cool, thanks heaps Tape and thanks for the coments everyone. I'm totally going to check it out ASAP!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:27 am
by Maui
Image


Ever watch a movie maybe 100 times and something just never gets old. This is one of em.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:15 am
by WinslowLeach
"YOU ARE WITNESS TO THE BIRTH OF SPINAL TAP MACH II.....WE HOPE YOU ENJOY OUR NEW DIRECTION!!"

(guy sits in audience with thumb down)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:57 am
by DennisMM
sonnyboo wrote:
Maui wrote:
sonny boo wrote:
Maui wrote:
DennisMM wrote:
That's how they got the cold sores, isn't it? They shared a groupie and probably more without it being made explicit.


Yup!


It wasn't a groupie - it was their opening act's lead singer.



Really? I got that one wrong - duh!


Really. Part of the joke about it is that when everyone sees how good the opening act is, the manager tries to get them kicked off, then each band member sleeps with her THEN they kick her & her band off the tour.

There are tons of gaffneyed scenes on the SPECIAL EDITION DVD and even a bunch of alternate, different material on the CRITERION DVD/LD.


I've not seen the Criterion and don't remember anything about the opening act on the Special Edition - but my wife grew bored with the outtakes, so we stopped. I didn't get a lot of solo DVD watching time while we were together. I'll have to go back and give it another look. I've hardly turned on my TV the last year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:35 pm
by Maui
I watch this movie far too much.

Metal Objects

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:22 pm
by so sorry
Maui, I'd like to thank you for bumping this thread!

I just spent my lunch hour watching Spinal Tap clips on youtube.


these guys RULE.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:46 pm
by Maui
so sorry wrote:Maui, I'd like to thank you for bumping this thread!

I just spent my lunch hour watching Spinal Tap clips on youtube.


these guys RULE.


Yes indeedy they do.


Mini Bread

Here's another one. I love it when he says he's been working with the bread for 30 minutes - then he throws the olive because it's missing the pimento.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:51 pm
by WinslowLeach

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:02 pm
by Maui


hahahah, good one Winslow!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:16 pm
by Maui
Pizza Delivery and Frank Sinatra sings in his undies

Bruno Kirby was really funny in this.

I also liked the part when the band rolls up the limo window on him when he is talking to them. A short and sweet moment - but hilarious.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:29 pm
by DennisMM
"This ... it's a fad."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:16 pm
by St. Alphonzo
It completely cracked me up to hear "All The Way Home" as a (I think) gasoline ad recently!

"C'mon. Mime is money" Classic.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:47 pm
by WinslowLeach
"I really like Tuna Fish in a can...no bones! Hee!"

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 3:34 pm
by Fifthrate
How can you forget the pods?
"When you listen to the song it's obvious we're in pods."

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:55 pm
by Maui
Fifthrate wrote:How can you forget the pods?
"When you listen to the song it's obvious we're in pods."


That's classic.

You know on one of U2's tours, they got stuck in a giant 40 ft lemon. Reminded me of Spinal Tap. hahahah

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:10 pm
by WinslowLeach
"HELLO CLEVELAND! HELLO CLEVELAND!!...ROCK N ROLL!"

Janitor: You mustve made a wrong turn.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:14 pm
by Maui
WinslowLeach wrote:"HELLO CLEVELAND! HELLO CLEVELAND!!...ROCK N ROLL!"

Janitor: You mustve made a wrong turn.


I love that scene when they get lost backstage.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:06 am
by Worst Part's Almost Over
The lead singer of Spinal Tap discusses his theories on the building of Stonehenge.

"Duncan was his name..."

:D

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:10 am
by Pacino86845
That interview is soooo PAMPIffic!!!

"He got a drill, and he built it, y'know. *chew* *chew*"

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:29 am
by WinslowLeach
They called him Dunca!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:37 am
by Nachokoolaid
"Have you read in books on Stonehenge?"

"I read that book Catcher in the Rye, does that count?"

:D

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:50 am
by WinslowLeach
LOL!

"Its your fucking wife alroight?!"

"Shes not my wife"

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:27 am
by Maui
hee hee

Image