Serenity DVD (Now w/ 2-Disc Special Edition!!)

Betamax and beyond

Serenity DVD (Now w/ 2-Disc Special Edition!!)

Postby darthevilbob on Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:35 am

Got my hands on the serenity DVD will review soon..
Last edited by darthevilbob on Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby thomasgaffney on Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:37 am

YES! What deleted scenes are we talking about? The one where MasterWhedon masturbates while the Firefly theme songs plays on repeat in the background?
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:42 am

Be careful, or a the Blueclops is a gonna to ZAKT! you, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby darthevilbob on Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:42 am

++++++++
Last edited by darthevilbob on Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby darthevilbob on Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:44 am

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Be careful, or a the Blueclops is a gonna to ZAKT! you, eh?

good point, how about just screen caps then?
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:46 am

Sounds cool. I never saw the movie, but I'm currently wading through the Firefly boxset, and have enjoyed it a lot so far - I love Westerns and I love Sci-Fi, so no surprises there!

Have you got some kind of promo version, EvilBob?
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darthevilbob on Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:54 am

heres what you can expect for bonus stuff on the disc anyways -

Last edited by darthevilbob on Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:55 am

darthevilbob wrote:
DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Be careful, or a the Blueclops is a gonna to ZAKT! you, eh?

good point, how about just screen caps then?

I was a referring to a the Gaffney's comment about a the MasterBatingWhedon, not a you posting a the deleted scenes... I was a gonna to say "you goddamn putz!", but a the Dino, he realize he dinna quote a the Gaffney to a begin with, so I'm a the putz!
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby tfactor on Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:57 am

sure Ecilbob rub it in that you got a bootleg, teasing us with bonus feature screen shots, you evil bastard you

BTW it looks like this doesn't get released to the public until dec 20th
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby darthevilbob on Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:15 pm

darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:27 pm

To this guy... Image and this guy... Image ...a hearty ZZZACKT!!! to you both!

What, you thought I was gonna do something else?

Something like...

...THIS!!

ZZZACKT!!!
Last edited by MasterWhedon on Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby ONeillSG1 on Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:38 pm

I love the Zone.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby bluebottle on Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:35 am

should i delete this thread, or is evil bob going to review the dvd?!

(i hate it when i miss everything)
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darthevilbob on Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:46 pm

Sorry my little boy decided to mess around on the computer while i was away and he manged to work out how to use the EDIT button for his own evil ends.

Will review soon.. when i've finished watching..
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby darthevilbob on Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:07 pm

I see you can hardly contain your indifference.
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby bluebottle on Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:08 pm

WE'RE WAITING!!!
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darthevilbob on Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:13 pm

Anyway yes, brilliant although i Have a feeling they will be releasing some sort of Special gorram edition.

The deleted scenes are a bie meh.. (so you can see why he deleted them) BUTTT and its a big butt like Grande Rolo's, there's a cool Inara training other companions scene (ie fondling of women) which, had it been kept in would have guaranteed box office success, Infact they should have dedicated a whole half hour of companion training.

Joss's commentry is funny and full of whedonism's so yes go buy this DVD - which i know you were going to anyway, but it now has the dr bob's evil mark of approval.

Oh, you know like ALIENS was a bit Grainy on DVD - this seems to have the same problem, not a big problem but i thought i'd mention it.
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:22 pm

darthevilbob wrote: there's a cool Inara training other companions scene (ie fondling of women) which, had it been kept in would have guaranteed box office success, Infact they should have dedicated a whole half hour of companion training.

oh boy! this sounds wonderliscious! giggidy giggidy goo!

no, but i'm seriously, Inara makes me happy in my nethers. but she makes me sad too. sad because i will never "know" her. and when i say "know", i mean "fuck her senseless."
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:24 pm

Zombie, you should try makeup. Have you seen yourself lately? You look a little yellow...
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:31 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Zombie, you should try makeup. Have you seen yourself lately? You look a little yellow...

don't i know it! and that's an olde picture! these days what with the decomposition, it's... well... not a pretty sight...

i've been dating that cheeleader zombie from Land of the Dead with the gash in her cheek, but she's not all that much of a conversationalist...

but Inara... sigh... shes beeyooteeful and snarky/smart!

gotta love those Whedon womenz...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby darthevilbob on Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:34 pm

Don;t ask me why, but i got a feeling Gina Torres is going to be Wonder Woman - a black wonder woman - I can see it happening.
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:50 pm

darthevilbob wrote:Don;t ask me why, but i got a feeling Gina Torres is going to be Wonder Woman - a black wonder woman - I can see it happening.

didn't Whedon say that was a possibility? i think Gina Torres is a lovely lady, but i doubt she'll be cast. shes not a big enough star.

i reckon they are going to cast some big deal actress... Rosario Dawson?
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby MasterWhedon on Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:52 pm

I'm telling you, a little blush on those cheeks will do the trick.

Gina Torres could do Wonder Woman quite well. She played the calm, fish-out-of-water goddess-type on Angel to great effect. I could see her doing it again. Don't think it'll be her though.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby darthevilbob on Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:22 pm

I have to admit the Joss Whedon commentry is the best ever, he even pointed outs mistakes (look how many people walk past mal in that shot - when there should have been 2 and there is in fact 3)

and he also kinda moans about the Pod Race in Episode I - and how he wants his scenes to look real - so he filmed it with the characters on location moving along the ground etc.. I say get Joss Whedon to give George Lucas tips on commentries.

only thing is he sounds really husky as if he's doing a dirty harry with a sore throat impression.

ETA: Oh yeah and he says Mal shoots three unarmed men, in reaction to the whole greedo shoots first thing.
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:23 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Gina Torres could do Wonder Woman quite well. She played the calm, fish-out-of-water goddess-type on Angel to great effect.

i agree, but i didn't like that whole arc in Angel. it had some funny moments though, like when people were "sharing" on the podium...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby darthevilbob on Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:45 pm

wonder woman has been cast:

IPAMPILASH
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:05 pm

IPAMPIMUTHAPHUCKINGLASH!!!!
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby bluebottle on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:06 pm

thanks for the review, what makes you think there'll be an even bigger edition? do you know something? WHAT DO YOU KNOW?!
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darthevilbob on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:15 pm

1) it's coming out pretty fast
2) the extra's dont seem all that great (although rather good for initial release)
3) I sense a "directors cut" coming our way, the way Joss whedon talks in the commentary.
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby bluebottle on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:32 pm

awesome, thanks... i'm going to buy this anyway... because i'm a nerd.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby darthevilbob on Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:34 pm

Oh yah, the Joss Whedon commentary alone is worth the purchase, i watched the entire movie last night, but it felt like 2 mins i was laughing so hard.
darthevilbob
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Bill? on Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:55 pm

should be great. shame about the horrific cover art, though.
Bill?
GLIB

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:26 pm

Just bought this and watched the whole shubang last night. Really nice commentary by Joss. I'm glad to see it finally on my shelf, though I'm still not sure what's up with the zombie horde on the front cover.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby JackKnight on Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:04 pm

Just watched the dvd also. Extras were meh, as has been said. Haven't heard the commentary yet, but will sit through it on next viewing.

Still glad i bought it, although I'll be bummed if a director's cut comes out. Don't like getting hit in the wallet twice. ;-)
Give me ambiguity or give me ... something else
JackKnight
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:28 pm

JackKnight wrote:Still glad i bought it, although I'll be bummed if a director's cut comes out. Don't like getting hit in the wallet twice. ;-)

Joss has stated he will never intentionally do a Director's Cut, and has guaranteed there won't be one for Serenity. He said unless he has a major clash with a studio on a film and they re-cut it without him, he thinks the theatrical film should represent the strongest version of the story.

We need more filmmakers like him.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby thomasgaffney on Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:28 pm

I went to two different Best Buy's last night that were near me. I must have hit the stores around 6:30 and 7:00. Every copy was sold out, expect for a handful of full screen editions. Hit the closest mall to check out Sam Goody and 2 FYE's. Only found 1 full screen in those 3 stores.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby Ribbons on Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:11 pm

Bill? wrote:should be great. shame about the horrific cover art, though.

IPAMPILASH!
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby CthulhuKid on Thu Dec 22, 2005 1:29 pm

I am raging with jealousy!!!!

The missus has instructed me to wait until Christmas.... It's killing me!!!

:wink:

And MasterWheadon, I cuoldn't agree with you more! We do need more filmmakers like him. We also need more writiers like him.
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Sat Dec 24, 2005 10:30 am

Watching the outtakes, every now and then after a screw up the cast will yell "Summer!" I figure that's some inside cast humor, was wondering if anyone knew the story though?
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby Neo Zeed on Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:21 pm

I saw the movie last night and I thought it was pretty good. I have a question though, how can the Reavers, who seem like a bunch of psycho animals handle complex tasks like operating spaceships, etc..?
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Gheorghe Zamfir on Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:01 pm

A bit off topic, but when I was watching this I was very impressed by the score, and I also found myself thinking (though I can't quite recall what specifically got me thinking this) that for some reason, parts of it kind of reminded me quite a bit of Six Feet Under's main titles, so I looked up the guy who did the score and it turned out to be someone I hadn't heard of, David Newman, but he's brothers with someone I had heard of, Thomas Newman (the composer of that theme, along with a lot of other great scores). Just thought that was neat.

But getting even more off topic, I was quite a bit taken back by this family, looking further, if you're born a Newman you apparently only have one career choice, their father was Hollywood composer Alfred Newman (who, in addition to many films, created the 20th Century Fox logo theme), their uncles were also other composers, Emil Newman and Lionel Newman. And their cousins with two more composers, Joey Newman, and Randy Newman. And they even have a sister, Maria Newman, who has a couple of composing credits to her name. Just thought I'd share.
Gheorghe Zamfir
REAL DRAGON

Postby CthulhuKid on Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:53 pm

Neo Zeed Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:21 pm Post subject:

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

I saw the movie last night and I thought it was pretty good. I have a question though, how can the Reavers, who seem like a bunch of psycho animals handle complex tasks like operating spaceships, etc..?

I had the same thought. My brain came up with, "There must be classes of Reavers. The foot soldiers are all we see, but there must be the guys who build and fly the ships."

I mean, they could still be rage filled maniacs, but they also push buttons. :-)

Gheorghe Zamfir Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 8:30 am Post subject:

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------

Watching the outtakes, every now and then after a screw up the cast will yell "Summer!" I figure that's some inside cast humor, was wondering if anyone knew the story though?

I was guessing that Summer had the hardest time not "breaking." All the outtakes where they shouted her name were people cracking up. Just a brash assumption, I'd love to know the real story too.
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby RogueScribner on Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:45 am

Reavers are crazy, not stupid. Crazy people drive cars all the time, why not spaceships?
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby The Vicar on Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:31 pm

RogueScribner wrote:Reavers are crazy, not stupid. Crazy people drive cars all the time, why not spaceships?

As reasonable an explaination as I've heard for the phenomenon of batshit crazy people driving space ships ( without containment, no less). I found it a bit of a problem too, as none of the reavers we ever see seem to have any lucid moments. Maybe they have designated drivers. Also, as I think about it, I've seen reavers driving around the south side of Chicago, so anything is possible.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby JackKnight on Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:59 pm

Having grown up and gone to college in Chicago I can verify that Reavers can drive cars. ;-)

Also, I looked for an interview to answer the "Summer" question but didn't come up with anything. I'm sure it is because she either would make faces at people or she became the cast 'scapegoat'. Like it was a running joke that if you broke character, it was summer's fault.
Give me ambiguity or give me ... something else
JackKnight
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby RogerRab on Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:03 pm

From newsarama.com:

"There was quite a bit of discussion a while back whether the movie Serenity would make any money for Universal. Well, it seems now on DVD that the movie has moved out of the red and is now making money for Universal. It hasn’t exactly made a huge amount of money and there’s still some way to go for a sequel to happen, but at least the movie is no longer climbing out of the red.

Here’s some figures and number crunching for anyone who’s interested:

Serenity costs $39 million to make ($1 million under it’s $40 million budget) and while the advertising budget was never made public, people have estimated around $10 million. So overall the movie costs around $49 million for Universal to make. Now Serenity made a disappointing $25 million domestically and $13 million internationally for a total of $38 million at the box office. Now following the 55% rule, where studios get around 55% of the total of the box office, Universal only made $21 million from the box office.

Now there’s been no official sales figures for Serenity since it’s been released on DVD, only where it’s ranked on the sales charts. However, there have been sales announcements for other DVD’s above and bellow Serenity and people have managed to do some number crunching and worked out that Serenity sold from 1.104 to 1.605 million copies in the first week of release! Some more number crunching was done to figure out Serenity sold around 825 thousand copies for January 2006. So by now it’s definitely over 2 million (possibly high as 2.5 million). Now studios generally take around $12 dollars profit per DVD, with the remaining split between the retailer and distributer. So that’s $24 million from the DVD sales, already more than the studio made from the box office. Meanwhile VideoBusiness.com tracked Serenity in bringing in over $9 million in DVD rentals. It has since fallen off the chart, but at the rate of it’s decline it’s safe to estimate that it manage to make $10 million before dropping too far.

Now the tv rights for Serenity were sold to NBC for a 3 movie package deal for $26 million. Now Serenity was hardly the top movie in the deal, so let’s low ball it and say Serenity only gets $5 million out of that deal.

So that’s $21 million from the box office, $24 million from DVD sales, $10 million from rentals, and around $5 million from tv rights for a total of $60 million. With Serenity costing $49 million to make and advertise it’s estimated that Universal has made $11 million off of the movie. Not nearly enough for Universal to invest in another movie, but there’s still profit to be made. The DVD has yet been released internationally and if the domestic sales are any indication, the DVD will make more money than the theatre box office. Especially since Universal International has included a lot of cool extras in the various international editions, the Australian version has a second disk of extras and comes in a cool metal tin, plus one retailer is offering free posters with the movie, another retailer offering Serenity mouse-mats and all sorts of other cool stuff. Meanwhile the DVD has sold well enough for the talked about Special Edition to be made available. The extras have already been produced for the Australian edition and ready to go, the only extra thing that Joss Whedon wants to do is add full cast audio commentary.

Meanwhile those calculations didn’t include anything from licensing which has been doing really well. The comic book, movie novelization, books, official t-shirts, RPG have all sold better than expected and more of all these items are on it’s way. There’s more money to be made out of this franchise yet and a sequel or possibily even a direct-to-DVD sequel might still yet happen."

Finally we've got some officialish news on how well Serenity has done. In terms of sequel likelihood, we've gotta remember that now Serenity is a brand name and it's associated with a quality movie (yes, really), and it's userbase is bigger now. Firefly is STILL (about 4 years on) in the Top 20 DVDs list at Amazon, and, surely, this can't be all we'll have. You can't take the sequel from us.
RogerRab
GLIB

Postby The Vicar on Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:00 pm

Yeah, but they'll try. ( Fox eats %$#@!& )
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby ZombieZoneSolutions on Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Hey, thats good news!

A sequel would be cool, but I'd most like to see is a return to TV...
I think thats Whedon's primary medium -- the long form continuing
series...
ZombieZoneSolutions
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:52 pm

ZombieZoneSolutions wrote:Hey, thats good news!

A sequel would be cool, but I'd most like to see is a return to TV...
I think thats Whedon's primary medium -- the long form continuing
series...

I'd second that. Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, I think the deal cut means "Serenity" stays a film property for a decade.

On the other hand, now that the movie has cleared profit, and especially in light of the fact that Universal marketing proved just how much they suck (hence the lackluster B.O. can be blamed on the marketing and NOT the film), I think a sequel is a lot more likely. Considering Whedon is going to buy a shitload of clout with "Wonder Woman", I think a sequel will happen.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby so sorry on Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:58 pm

Theta wrote:Considering Whedon is going to buy a shitload of clout with "Wonder Woman",

IPAMPILASH! i don't know why but when i read that line i spit my drink out all over my laptop... well, not really, but i still laughed out loud...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Next

Return to DVD / Blu-ray