Serenity DVD (Now w/ 2-Disc Special Edition!!)

Betamax and beyond

Postby RogueScribner on Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:06 pm

Gheorghe Zamfir wrote:
Theta wrote:Let's not forget part of the reason "Serenity" itself was launched was the fact that those TV boxed sets sold an eyebrow-raising six figures...a number that has only gone up since the movie came out. It remains a very popular seller on Amazon.com. Currently, my local Target literally can't keep the show on the shelves; what seems to happen is people buy the movie and then buy the TV show once they see the movie. As of this writing "Serenity" is #25 and "Firefly" #29 on Amazon's DVD top sellers.

Firefly had impressive DVD sales for a cancelled television series, but in the scope of DVD box sets, it was more a modest success, rather than any kind of staggering record breaker I see a lot of Whedon/Firefly fans claim it to be. Not saying you're claiming that Theta, just responding to a more general sentiment. Serenity the movie, as Joss has said in interviews, was greenlit because folks at Universal just liked the show, it had nothing to do with DVD sales, Universal was moving forward with the pic well before the DVD set was even released.

Yeah, Universal had Joss working on the screenplay before Fox even released the DVDs. The DVD sales were just icing on the cake to them. "Oh, so there IS an audience!" In the scheme of things, however, the Firefly set hasn't set any records in general terms, but for a series that didn't even complete its first season, I'm sure it's a pretty strong seller. ;)

Anyhoo, Theta mentioned Austin Powers and how it got a sequel. That movie grossed twice what Serenity did (in 1997 dollars it probably looks even better) and then EXPLODED on DVD/video. I welcome a sequel to Serenity with open arms, but I simply cannot get my hopes up at the prospect. All signs point to crushing disappointment on that front.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Theta on Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:28 pm

Gheorghe Zamfir wrote:
Firefly had impressive DVD sales for a cancelled television series, but in the scope of DVD box sets, it was more a modest success, rather than any kind of staggering record breaker I see a lot of Whedon/Firefly fans claim it to be. Not saying you're claiming that Theta, just responding to a more general sentiment. Serenity the movie, as Joss has said in interviews, was greenlit because folks at Universal just liked the show, it had nothing to do with DVD sales, Universal was moving forward with the pic well before the DVD set was even released.

Oh, naturally. I'm not saying it's a bulldozer like "Friends" or anything like that, but it did quite well and it seems to have been doing even better with the movie. Also, I must have been misinformed: I knew Universal was making overtures to Whedon but I didn't think the movie got a greenlight until the DVD boxed set figures came in.

Either way, I don't think sequel prospects are far-fetched. As I noted, "Land of the Dead" did even worse and got a sequel on the basis of home video.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:16 pm

I hope you prove to be right, Theta. But time works against us here, as most everyone has, necessarily, moved on to other things.
Pity.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:16 pm

Theta wrote:Either way, I don't think sequel prospects are far-fetched. As I noted, "Land of the Dead" did even worse and got a sequel on the basis of home video.

Land of the Dead grossed $43 million worldwide with a $15 million budget. Universal was seeing black before it ever hit video. Unlike with Serenity, which is a far more expensive property, and whose worldwide gross still fell short of its reported budget.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Theta on Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:21 pm

RogueScribner wrote:
Theta wrote:Either way, I don't think sequel prospects are far-fetched. As I noted, "Land of the Dead" did even worse and got a sequel on the basis of home video.

Land of the Dead grossed $43 million worldwide with a $15 million budget. Universal was seeing black before it ever hit video. Unlike with Serenity, which is a far more expensive property, and whose worldwide gross still fell short of its reported budget.

Hmmmm...the data I got must not be up to date...

Ah! I see! It looks like for some reason they didn't account for foreign! Odd. Changes the picture slightly; I guess it depends on how desperate they are and how much clout Joss Whedon comes to wield. Again, I never said it was a certainty, merely that I thought prospects were brighter than we might think at first glance.

I'm not claiming to be a master at handicapping Universal, though. Considering how badly Marc Shmuger, their marketing "guru", screwed up this year (my opinion on this is posted above) I thought for sure he'd be fired. But he still has a job, from the looks of things: either they made money somewhere I'm not seeing or the man gives incredible head.
This comment is in no way meant to insist your opinion is wrong or be considered an edict, solely this poster's opinion. That said, you are still a fool and will kneel before me in supplication.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:25 pm

The Vicar wrote:I hope you prove to be right, Theta. But time works against us here, as most everyone has, necessarily, moved on to other things.
Pity.

Hey, "Star Trek" got killed after three seasons, and now it's the epitome of mainstream SF. Why NOT Firefly?
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby Theta on Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:38 pm

Peven wrote:uh, a teenage chick vampire killer, a witch, demons, evil vampires turned good, space cowboys...........above all else human? seriously, what is more "human" about those premises than the SW characters and premises? how are vampires less hollywood cliche than jedi? ( i mean,to give Lucas credit, he invented jedi, while..... is there anything much more hollywood cliche than vampires or westerns(even one in space)?"

Jedi comes from "Jidai-geki", the Japanese term for "period picture." "A New Hope" is largely ripped off from Akira Kurosawa's "The Hidden Fortress", down to bumbling robots in the place of bumbling peasants.

Basically, much of "Star Wars" is jidai-geki with a dash of chanbara (samurai movies) translated into a pulp SF medium (itself fairly unoriginal) to make it palatable to American audiences and to let the characters speak English.

This is not to take away from the fun of "Star Wars." I'm just simply pointing out that there's nothing new under the sun.

And to answer your question, there's far less growth and change in "Star Wars." Basically, the only people who actually change are Luke and Vader. Everyone else stays pretty much the same, character-wise.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby sonnyboo on Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:00 pm

I got a copy of the region 4, AUstralian 2 DVD set that has a ton more extras.

Of particular note is a disc one addition called "A Filmmaker's Journey" that shows progress from the table read all the way through post production. On disc two is a 45 minute + Q&A with Joss Whedon in Australia.

Get a region free DVD player & buy buy buy this disc.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:14 pm

You can get it at CD Wow. I've already got the Region 3 release (same as Region 2) - is it WORTH buying the Oz edition R2/4?
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Wed May 03, 2006 6:03 pm

Anybody hear of Serenity Day? It seems that the Browncoats are mobilizing internationally to pull off a massive buy of the DVD on June 23 to show support for a sequel. Rain, snow, sleet, etc. is not to be a deterrent from what it sounds like. I'm curious to see what numbers they pull off and what effect, if any, it has on sales. Anybody know anything about this? I'm tempted to join in just for the novelty factor but I've held off this long because of my past history of buying a disc only to get home and read the announcement of the SE.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby RogueScribner on Wed May 03, 2006 6:55 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:Anybody hear of Serenity Day? It seems that the Browncoats are mobilizing internationally to pull off a massive buy of the DVD on June 23 to show support for a sequel. Rain, snow, sleet, etc. is not to be a deterrent from what it sounds like. I'm curious to see what numbers they pull off and what effect, if any, it has on sales. Anybody know anything about this? I'm tempted to join in just for the novelty factor but I've held off this long because of my past history of buying a disc only to get home and read the announcement of the SE.

Okay, so that day perhaps another 20,000 discs will be sold. Not a deal maker, if you ask me.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Ribbons on Wed May 03, 2006 6:57 pm

Tyrone_Shoelaces wrote:I'm tempted to join in just for the novelty factor but I've held off this long because of my past history of buying a disc only to get home and read the announcement of the SE.

You're probably safe from the dreaded double-dip with this one. The DVD is pretty comprehensive, methinks; besides for cover art that doesn't suck it's got pretty much what anyone who'd like the movie enough to buy it would want.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

good news

Postby iamthevillain on Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:56 pm

Thats awesome. I was hoping they would make a sequel.
iamthevillain
GLIB

Postby sonnyboo on Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:03 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:You can get it at CD Wow. I've already got the Region 3 release (same as Region 2) - is it WORTH buying the Oz edition R2/4?

If you're an absolute diehard fan, then it's worth it. The added extras are really great for the R4 Australian special 2 disc edition, but the regular release is packed too.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:37 am

Missed getting it on the so-called Serenity Day but I did get it over the weekend. Anybody hear any numbers?
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby iamthevillain on Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:12 pm

I have read this whole thread, and I pretty much agree that even with as much as I hope Serenity gets a sequel, it probably isn't going to happen. Does anyone know anywhere online I can buy it for a good price?
iamthevillain
GLIB

Postby Belac on Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:27 am

^You're probably not, but if you're in the UK, this is the best site to use: http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/
Belac
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby sonnyboo on Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:18 pm

In his Q&A on the Australian DVD, Joss said that he might bring back some of the characters and create a "spinoff" series set in the Firefly/Serenity universe - which makes it possible to circumvent the feature film only clause.

Also, I don't think he could get ALL the actors back for a continuing TV series. a New TV series with some new characters & a new direction might "fly"...
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby raasnio on Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:12 pm

sonnyboo wrote:In his Q&A on the Australian DVD, Joss said that he might bring back some of the characters and create a "spinoff" series set in the Firefly/Serenity universe - which makes it possible to circumvent the feature film only clause.

Also, I don't think he could get ALL the actors back for a continuing TV series. a New TV series with some new characters & a new direction might "fly"...

I'd like to see him leave it behind unless he does a sequel to Serenity.

I'm still confused as to why he'd want to helm Wonder Woman. :?
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Theta on Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:18 pm

raasnio wrote:
sonnyboo wrote:In his Q&A on the Australian DVD, Joss said that he might bring back some of the characters and create a "spinoff" series set in the Firefly/Serenity universe - which makes it possible to circumvent the feature film only clause.

I'd like to see him leave it behind unless he does a sequel to Serenity.

I'm still confused as to why he'd want to helm Wonder Woman. :?

Money? A love of comic books? A desire to smack Mr. Beaks over at Collider with his enormous cinematic dick (I like the guy usually, but his anti-"Serenity" bias is REALLY pissing me off; why not heap your abuse on a movie that deserves it, like "Failure to Launch?")

Actually, what it comes down to is Whedon wants to be a huge blockbuster filmmaker, or at least have that level of clout, so he can do whatever he wants in film. Wonder Woman is a key starting point for that, and I say good for him.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby raasnio on Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:28 pm

Theta wrote:Actually, what it comes down to is Whedon wants to be a huge blockbuster filmmaker, or at least have that level of clout, so he can do whatever he wants in film. Wonder Woman is a key starting point for that, and I say good for him.

I agree with you up until you mention Wonder Woman as being that vehicle by which he will attain the clout he needs. I cannot say with 100% certainty that Wonder Woman won't be a hit, but I just don't think there's much to work with there.

I think Whedon has what it takes to be a great filmmaker, Serenity speaks for itself, but I still wonder how he chose this project.
raasnio
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby The Vicar on Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:42 pm

Whedon needs to wean himself off chicks-kicking-ass.
Becoming a bit tired.
Time for some new schtick.
The Vicar

Postby RogueScribner on Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:32 pm

I'd agree with you if "chicks-kicking-ass" made up the bulk of his work thus far.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby The Vicar on Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:41 pm

RogueScribner wrote:I'd agree with you if "chicks-kicking-ass" made up the bulk of his work thus far.

Lets see - Buffy, Willow ( dark Willow), Faith, uncounted brand new slayers, River, Fred ( after The Change) Glory, Holtz's assistant, Cordy (near the end), Ripley in his Alien script ( a preexisting condition, but he signed for it as well), Gwen... next film?
Wonder Woman.

"I wouldn't be at all surprised if we're seeing a pattern here...."
Frank Finley, Lifeforce
The Vicar

Postby sonnyboo on Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:28 pm

The Vicar wrote:Whedon needs to wean himself off chicks-kicking-ass.
Becoming a bit tired.

Only when we get lame-ass, poorly written, uninspired dreck like

ULTRAVIOLET-UNDERWORLD-BLOODRAYNE-RESIDENT EVIL if only I could tell the difference between these
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby The Vicar on Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:31 pm

sonnyboo wrote:
The Vicar wrote:Whedon needs to wean himself off chicks-kicking-ass.
Becoming a bit tired.

Only when we get lame-ass, poorly written, uninspired dreck like

ULTRAVIOLET-UNDERWORLD-BLOODRAYNE-RESIDENT EVIL if only I could tell the difference between these

Exactly.
Crapfest material.
The Vicar

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:15 am

The Vicar wrote:
RogueScribner wrote:I'd agree with you if "chicks-kicking-ass" made up the bulk of his work thus far.

Lets see - Buffy, Willow ( dark Willow), Faith, uncounted brand new slayers,

All from a show called Buffy the Vampire Slayer . . .

The Vicar wrote:River,

She "kicked ass" in one episode of Firefly (and it was pretty much a throwaway moment) and in the movie Serenity, but the movie wasn't about her kicking ass, that was just a piece of a much larger story. The movie was about Mal first and foremost.

The Vicar wrote:Fred ( after The Change)

Even after the change, the existence of Illyria was never about kicking ass. The vast majority of the time we spent with her she was doing a lot more talking than ass kicking. And when she was "kicking ass" she was usually kicking it with or against about 3 - 4 other men, but yeah, it's all about chicks kicking ass.

The Vicar wrote:Glory,

Buffy . . . (a show about girl power, so what do you expect?)

The Vicar wrote:Holtz's assistant,

Please . . .

The Vicar wrote:Cordy (near the end),

When exactly? And even if I agreed that she ever kicked ass, she did it on a male dominated show, so um, whatever.

The Vicar wrote:Ripley in his Alien script ( a preexisting condition, but he signed for it as well),

A franchise pic he did not originate. What about Speed? What about Toy Story? What about all of the other writing assignments he's had? Were they all about chicks kicking ass?

The Vicar wrote:Gwen...

What, like 3 episodes in a vastly male dominated series? Not to mention that Whedon didn't create the character, he didn't write or direct any of the episodes she appeared in, and in fact he basically had shit to do with Angel that season because he was busy making Firefly. Thank Jeffrey Bell for Gwen Raiden. Or better yet, Mere Smith since she actually wrote her introductory episode.

The Vicar wrote: next film?

Wonder Woman.

Okay, so he's had a grand total of one television series all about girl power, one supporting character in another franchise not all about girl power, and he's currently writing an adaptation of Wonder Woman. I'm not saying "chicks kicking ass" isn't what he's maybe known for or isn't where he's found some success in the past, but it's not his "schtick" and it's not getting "tired." Maybe if Angel and Firefly fell into that milieu I'd have to agree with you, but they didn't so I don't. If all he did was create entertainment about guys "kicking ass" would we even be having this discussion? Would you even notice? Or care?
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:13 pm

Not sure if everyone's heard yet, seeing as I just heard myself, but there's a 2-disc Special Edition of Serenity coming in July!!

Joss, at Whedonesque.com wrote:Yes, fanlings, there is going to be a 2 disc 'Special Edition' released this summer. You know why? 'Cause the 1 disc 'Normal Edition' has sold so well -- so maybe a little self-back-patting is in order for you guys. Way to keep her in the air.

It's too early to be sure what the Special Edition will contain, but here are some things we're going for:

NEW KEY ART.

Cast commentary -- assuming I can get a decent number of them in one room. They're very busy people, I'm happy to say.

NEW KEY ART.

The region 4 goodies, obviously.

The Tam Sessions.

KEY NEW ART.

New Yub Yub, and Greedo shoots first. So does that kid outside the trading station, the pilot who destroyed Haven, and Kaylee. And Richard Dreyfuss goes INSIDE the mothership.

KEW RAT YEN.

An alternate ending, if you turn it off early.

Proof of the existence of a benevolent higher power -- uh, I mean, new key art.

Mice.

And honestly, what more do you want? Don't answer that, I already know and it's unseemly. But I'm pretty excited here. Back to work, -j.

Take my Yub,
Take Yub Yub,
Yub Yub tak the Yub from Meee...dichlorians....
joss | March 02, 00:00 CET

Today, Whedonesque posted that the cast commentary will feature Joss, Natha Fillion, Summer Glau, Adam Baldwin, and Ron Glass.

I'll shamefully douple-dip for this one.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Wiccan Woman on Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:23 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Not sure if everyone's heard yet, seeing as I just heard myself, but there's a 2-disc Special Edition of Serenity coming in July!!

Joss, at Whedonesque.com wrote:Yes, fanlings, there is going to be a 2 disc 'Special Edition' released this summer. You know why? 'Cause the 1 disc 'Normal Edition' has sold so well -- so maybe a little self-back-patting is in order for you guys. Way to keep her in the air.

It's too early to be sure what the Special Edition will contain, but here are some things we're going for:

NEW KEY ART.

Cast commentary -- assuming I can get a decent number of them in one room. They're very busy people, I'm happy to say.

NEW KEY ART.

The region 4 goodies, obviously.

The Tam Sessions.

KEY NEW ART.

New Yub Yub, and Greedo shoots first. So does that kid outside the trading station, the pilot who destroyed Haven, and Kaylee. And Richard Dreyfuss goes INSIDE the mothership.

KEW RAT YEN.

An alternate ending, if you turn it off early.

Proof of the existence of a benevolent higher power -- uh, I mean, new key art.

Mice.

And honestly, what more do you want? Don't answer that, I already know and it's unseemly. But I'm pretty excited here. Back to work, -j.

Take my Yub,
Take Yub Yub,
Yub Yub tak the Yub from Meee...dichlorians....
joss | March 02, 00:00 CET

Today, Whedonesque posted that the cast commentary will feature Joss, Natha Fillion, Summer Glau, Adam Baldwin, and Ron Glass.

I'll shamefully douple-dip for this one.

It feels good to be bad, doesn't it? Well, I'll be doing the same thing. :lol:
Thanks for the heads up, Whedo.
Left behind
Wiccan Woman
AIRWOLF

Postby The Vicar on Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:28 pm

Yup - a true gotta have.

Gawd do I miss having Whedon on the telly.
The Vicar

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:37 pm

The Vicar wrote:
Gawd do I miss having Whedon on the telly.

You used to have a camera set-up in MasterWhedon's bathroom too...?
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:43 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:I'll shamefully douple-dip for this one.

As will I.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby King Psyz on Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:25 pm

I might buy it for sentimental reasons, I did get to see it like fuckin months early at those sneak screenings here in Vegas with Joss and River, man was she hot...

Anyways, yeah I thought it was pretty ok. The super fans made me nervous, but nothing I didn't fear at the one Star Trek convention I attended to hear the Shatner rip a new one into fans.

The movie does not unfortunately stand up on it's own and if it weren't for two companies holding rights, I would love a super box set that encapsulates both series and movie. Because without the series many moments fall flat.
King Psyz
PSYZ MATTERS, DO YOU?

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:45 am

*shakes fist* I KNEW this would happen. I'll show them! I won't take this lying down! I'll... I'll... I'll... buy it too, dammit. They could at least get Morena to hold my hand while I make my purchase. We could stop at Frosty Dip afterward. I'd even treat. Maybe swing by Build-A-Bear.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby sonnyboo on Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:25 pm

I already have a region 4 (Australian) 2 disc DVD set. My DVD player is region free. The additional extras kick ass, of particular note is

1. a Q&A in Australia with Joss. It's about 40-45 minutes and really rocks.

2. a FILMMAKERS JOURNEY DVD doc that really rocks too. It's my favoritist part of the set. Especially the editing with the ever sexy Lisa Lassik.

3. additional deleted scenes with a little more, but nothing too spectacular
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Postby Dark Knight on Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Is this gonna have one of those corny special edition labels attached to it? Like "The Can't Stop the Signal Edition" or "The Captain Mal needs some lovin' edition"? Any ideas? heha
El Wray will find the missing reel, just watch...
Dark Knight
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:13 pm

Maybe the DVD will be wrapped in some really tight pants.
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby ChrisTP on Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:46 pm

i just discovered serenity/firefly a few weeks back and i have to say, WOW.

anyway, going to hold off on buying serenity till the SE DVD but firefly is already ordered.

Just wondering, is there any news on a film sequel or second series?

cheers
chris
ChrisTP
GLIB

Postby The Vicar on Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:17 pm

ChrisTP wrote:i just discovered serenity/firefly a few weeks back and i have to say, WOW.

anyway, going to hold off on buying serenity till the SE DVD but firefly is already ordered.

Just wondering, is there any news on a film sequel or second series?

cheers
chris

Only in our dreams, at this stage.
Mores the pity.
The Vicar

got it

Postby sonnyboo on Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:06 am

I broke down and bought the Region 1 two disc special edition last night.

The extras DO vary between the Region 4 Australian 2 disc set from 2004.

First and foremost, the edit of "A FILMMAKERS JOURNEY" is different. The American one is slightly longer and an emphasis on some different elements, but whole sections are identical.

The commentary with the cast is decent. If you're into the cast & characters and the camaraderie, then this will be a treasure for you. For ideas and concepts, the Joss Whedon original commentary (also included on this disc!) is better for you.

The other video extras, as in extended & additional deleted scenes are the same as Region 4 and just okay - not much to write home about.

One of the things from the Region 4 Australian disc conspicuously missing here is a 45 minute Q&A at FOX STUDIOS AUSTRALIA. It was probably omitted because of the assumptions that Americans don't want to listen to a lot of questions by people with funny accents, which is ALF. I'm sure someone taped something similar at a U.S. screening Q&A anyway.

Overall, I'm glad I have all 3 versions of the movie... except I'll probably sell my original disc used because there's nothing on it that isn't here on the new one. Maybe that's the ploy to get copies of the MOVIE out to more people to help resurrect FIREFLY.... one can dream.
sonnyboo
REAL DRAGON

Previous

Return to DVD / Blu-ray