just did a brief commentary session on HOSTEL

Betamax and beyond

just did a brief commentary session on HOSTEL

Postby Headgeek on Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:44 pm

Begins with Eli and I talking about stroking each other off - and ends with me talking about the puddin' pool I made with his name glistening in it. So much fun.
Headgeek
AICN Crew

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:48 pm

HAAH. Man this movie better be good, Harry.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Vegeta on Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:50 pm

Begins with Eli and I talking about stroking each other off - and ends with me talking about the puddin' pool I made with his name glistening in it. So much fun.

Wow, that is a graphic side of H@rry I've never seen. Go on and keep sweet talking us...
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Headgeek on Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:56 pm

movie kicks a lot of ass
Headgeek
AICN Crew

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:58 pm

God I so want it to. I love the idea of the movie. It could be the sexiest horror film ever!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby bluebottle on Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:59 pm

better than Cabin Fever?
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:00 pm

ipampilash!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby WinslowLeach on Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:17 pm

Like I said, you know a movies awesome when Harry starts with the sex or food talk. Cant wait to see this film. If Eli ever reads this forum, Id just like to salute him for writing an original script and NOT doing a fuckin remake. Keep up the great work Eel!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:19 pm

Updated audio commentary every couple of years: the only justification for studios double dipping and re-releasing DVDs over and over.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:20 pm

I don't know... I'm totally creeped out by the TV spots they're playing. I just don't dig hardcore creepyfuck scary movies. I thought the new Texas Chainsaw was beautiful, but it made me ill to watch.

I'll have to listen to the commentary with my eyes closed.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Bean on Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:15 pm

Yeah but commentary usually cancels out the scary.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:21 pm

When this out in the UK, Grande?
On another note I have never understood the Cabin Fever hate, me and my friends watched it while we smoked a few j's and it was a blast.
I'd love to get a non talkback response as to why people didn't like it.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby MasterWhedon on Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:22 pm

Bean wrote:Yeah but commentary usually cancels out the scary.

But if it opens with H@rry and Eli talking about stroking each other off...

<shudder>
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:28 pm

I'd love to get a non talkback response as to why people didn't like it.

For me personally, it was the balance of horror and comedy.. not that i'm against those being mixed.. I just didn't feel the balance and placement of the gags was always right.

But on the same tip, I can also see why that would be it's appeal.. what your expectations are when you go in to see it probably count for a great deal. (and being high probably wouldn't hurt neither)

But back on topic, I'm lookin forward to Hostel.. only thing I'm worried about is that even if it is good, I got a twitch feeling that it's not gonna pull regular horror movie bank.. the trailers do look pretty nasty, and I think most chicks would rather see some dude in a funny mask stabbing people with a knife for scares than people being tortured :/
The Anime Stock Exchange for all your anime tripe
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby John-Locke on Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:54 pm

What about the Rotten Fruit? Those animated shorts are fucking hilarious, especially when they murder the boyband & one of them pops out from a ceiling vent & slit's the throat of the singer with blood spraying all over the mirror, IPAMPILASH, Eli seems to have a good sense of humour, I'm looking forward to this.

PS I like Cabin Fever too.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby bluebottle on Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:43 pm

TonyWilson wrote:I'd love to get a non talkback response as to why people didn't like it.

I was in the zone one night while watching Cabin Fever, going on and on about how dreadful it was, then someone pointed out that H@rry was friends with Eli Roth, and I thought, "huh... oops."

I stick by it tho, I think Eli Roth has potential, and as a first film Cabin Fever wasn't terrible... But it's really over-hyped. The premise wasn't solid, the execution was weak, and i think the real problem was with the script. it needed a few more drafts.

Look, it's a stupid, silly horror film. So in that sense, it accomplished everything it set out to accomplish. Did it change the world? No. Was it supposed to? No. Was it great? No. Could it have been great? YES. Should it have been great? YES.

Is that a fair non-talkbacker response?

I am, however, extremely optimistic about Hostel. I think if he cut out the crap (ie. the overt Sam Raimisms') he'd make solid horror films. Roth needs to find his own voice, and I'm hoping he's done it with Hostel.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Neo Zeed on Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:16 pm

Bluebottle wrote:
TonyWilson wrote:I'd love to get a non talkback response as to why people didn't like it.

I was in the zone one night while watching Cabin Fever, going on and on about how dreadful it was, then someone pointed out that H@rry was friends with Eli Roth, and I thought, "huh... oops."

I stick by it tho, I think Eli Roth has potential, and as a first film Cabin Fever wasn't terrible... But it's really over-hyped. The premise wasn't solid, the execution was weak, and i think the real problem was with the script. it needed a few more drafts.

Look, it's a stupid, silly horror film. So in that sense, it accomplished everything it set out to accomplish. Did it change the world? No. Was it supposed to? No. Was it great? No. Could it have been great? YES. Should it have been great? YES.

Is that a fair non-talkbacker response?

I am, however, extremely optimistic about Hostel. I think if he cut out the crap (ie. the overt Sam Raimisms') he'd make solid horror films. Roth needs to find his own voice, and I'm hoping he's done it with Hostel.

I'm with you Blue. I thought this film was stinky when it came out. When I caught it on cable later I thought the humor played a little better. The cop telling the blonde chick to kick back and have "a '.40" was funny. But it certainly wasn't "good," and it definitely runs off the rails in the middle of the film. I do hope that Hostel has a storyline between all the torture though. Because these movies kind of bore me if there's no chance of real escape for the kidnapped.
Neo Zeed
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby Ribbons on Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:39 pm

I thought Cabin Fever was okay. I didn't like it so much but then went back after reading Harry's review and found I liked it more. If AICN patrons had just caught the film on HBO or something without hearing so much about it I'm sure they would've liked it. I think it was the hype that got so many people against it. I think people said at the time that it was going to revitalize the hard-R horror flick, and I really hope that wasn't its intentions because it just didn't seem ambitious enough (I'm sure Harry disagrees). Hopefully Hostel will be better, but if it's as good as Cabin Fever, it should be more or less decent. Although "sex comedy" or not, I have no idea where the mullet kid who screamed "Pancakes!" came from.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby bluebottle on Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:35 am

The mullet kid was my favorite part.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:44 am

Really? That part pissed me off the most, I think. This feral mullet kid who knew karate, randomly screaming "Pancakes!" As if it was the most hilarious thing a feral mullet kid who knew karate could possibly say in that situation. I felt like there was some joke that I wasn't getting, which could very well be...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby magicmonkey on Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:11 am

Cabin fever was aces. It was like a sweet sweet postmodern comedy horror pudding. Laughed my ass off. They just don't make movies like that anymore...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby Headgeek on Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:25 am

Cabin Fever is a fun horror film made for under a million dollars - with intense gore and a scary as hell premise. Flesh Eating Virus is a fucked up thing. It's real. It happens. I totally get why the folks that hate CABIN FEVER hate it, Moriarty included. The film isn't tonally consistent. In fact, it's all over the place. BUT - I recognized in Eli, a filmmaker that desperately wanted to make "balls to the wall" original horror films - who had a blast making and working his ass off. In my opinion - CABIN FEVER is a late night, get together with a bunch of friends party horror flick. I don't think it plays particularly well in a lonely environment.

However - HOSTEL is a totally different beast. And I'm not saying that exclusively because Eli took a concept I gave him in our very first phone conversation and turned it into a movie. (BTW - I've gotten ZERO money or sex... dammit for my part in the creation of this film) What I did get is an immense amount of satisfaction and pride in Eli for making a second film that I feel is truly extraordinary.

To each their own - but this movie, in my opinion is much better than I thought Eli would do for his second effort. And it shows a forward progression as a filmmaker that one could really be excited about.

Eli's come a long ways since CABIN FEVER. He's devoured and been influenced by so much that I, Quentin and the Film Festival circuit have exposed him to. The result is a far more mature filmmaker that was responsible for Cabin Fever. You'll see.
Headgeek
AICN Crew

Postby Tubbs Tattsyrup on Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:31 am

Haaaaaarryyyyyy...you're my hero.
On YouTube or Vimeo.
Tubbs Tattsyrup
GRANDO CARLISSIAN

Postby bluebottle on Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:15 am

THAT'S what i wanted to hear. :) thanks harold. I can't wait.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TonyWilson on Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:26 am

Excited, me? You bet your ass.
Thanks for the heads up about why people didn't like Cabin Fever, I can see most of your points, but I just went with the ride and it definitely helped I was in party kinda mood. It was never hyped for me so maybe that's why I loved it. I thought the pancakes thing was funny just for the randomness, there's no big joke to get just some freaky little kid who likes pancakes, to me that's funny.
Hostel looks real good from what I've seen and heard. I also think the premise is fantastic if only because in my fucked up head I think shit like that does happen somewhere in the world.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby Crayotic Rockwell on Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:44 am

Hmm this doesn't make sense.. no studly bloated financially secure with corporate-sponsored opinions or Eli Roth is teh suxckz arguments? I can't even believe this is part of AICN

I need some sort of litmus test kit
The Anime Stock Exchange for all your anime tripe
Crayotic Rockwell
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Bean on Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:31 pm

I've been seeing trailers for this thing, and all I can say after they finish is "WHAT THE FUCK!?!?" Guys getting their toes pried off? Drills and chainsaws?? Harry you are one fucked up person my friend.
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Brocktune on Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:42 pm

word
i cant wait to check this one out.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby CthulhuKid on Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:26 pm

Am I the ONLY person who prefers subtly in his horror movies anymore? I just don't get the whole torture/horror thing. I like my scary to be things that go bump in the night, not tie me up, cut off certain appendages and laugh about it.

I think I'm getting old or something. :-(
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby dimnix on Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:08 pm

Hostel looks pretty sweet - I grabbed a lil' preview dvd of it at BNAT. Looking forward to seeing it.

Eyegasm scene is craaazy.
dimnix
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Return to DVD / Blu-ray