KING KONG 1933 DVD 8th Wonder Edition?

Betamax and beyond

KING KONG 1933 DVD 8th Wonder Edition?

Postby Headgeek on Sun Jul 17, 2005 1:59 am

Hey folks,

Wish I knew more - but I really don't. I know that it is supposed to be a multi-disc set. I know I recorded an interview 2 weeks ago for inclusion on this upcoming DVD. I know that the work on the film itself is supposed to be finished with the mastering process next week. We'll have to see what happens. If my suspicions are correct we'll finally have a great DVD edition of KING KONG, somewhere around the first of December or the last week of November.

Word has it they interviewed just about every Kong geek on the planet - and there's word they've been acquiring all sorts of material for this DVD. Can't wait to get the full rundown on the features... especially how brilliant I am on the DVD playing with my original King Kong Smoke Bomb from 1933! Hehehehe!!!

Harry
Headgeek
AICN Crew

Postby Agent Alonzo on Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:06 am

You, of course, got a 100 copies for prize purposes as part of your deal to be on it, correct?
Erm, hello, the line seems to have gone dead. Hello...
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:04 pm

Dino's outta the loop onna this one... is it gonna be a the original, un-a-cut version? It's a gotta be, right??
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:17 pm

Okay, here's a some good news, eh?

http://wooderson.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?t=2570
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby bluebottle on Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:29 pm

Courtesy of the good fellas at www.thedigitalbits.com

them digibitz guys wrote: The King Kong: Two-Disc Special Edition (SRP $26.99) will include the 104-minute restored and remastered B&W film on video in its original full frame, with Dolby Digital 2.0 mono audio and English, French and Spanish subtitles. Extras will include audio commentary (by Ray Harryhausen and Ken Ralston, with Merian C. Cooper, Ernest B. Schoedsack, Ruth Rose, Fay Wray and Robert Armstrong), the 2005 I'm Kong: The Exploits of Merian C. Cooper documentary, a gallery of trailers for other films by director Merian C. Cooper, the new RKO Production 601: The Making of Kong, Eighth Wonder of the World documentary by Peter Jackson (featuring the following featurettes: The Origins of King Kong, Willis O'Brien and Creation, Cameras Roll on Kong, The Eighth Wonder, A Milestone in Visual Effects, Passion, Sound and Fury, The Mystery of the Lost Spider Pit Sequence and King Kong's Legacy) and Creation test footage (with commentary by Ray Harryhausen).

The King Kong: Two-Disc Collector's Edition (SRP $39.98.) will include all of the above in limited tin packaging that also features a 20-page reproduction of the original 1933 souvenir program, King Kong original one-sheet reproduction postcards and a mail-in offer for a reproduction of a vintage theatrical poster.

The King Kong Four-Disc Collector's Set (SRP $39.92) will include the King Kong: Two-Disc Special Edition along with The Son of Kong and Mighty Joe Young. It will NOT include the extras in the Collector's Edition tin.

Fortunately, The Son of Kong and Mighty Joe Young will also be available separately (as will The Last Days of Pompeii, also by Kong directors Merian C. Cooper and Ernest B. Schoedsack) for an SRP of $19.97 each.

The Son of Kong will include the 70-minute restored B&W film on video in the original full frame, with Dolby Digital 2.0 mono audio and English, French and Spanish subtitles. Extras will include the theatrical trailer.

Mighty Joe Young will include the 94-minute restored B&W film on video in its original full frame, with Dolby Digital 2.0 mono audio and English, French and Spanish subtitles. Extras will include audio commentary (by Ray Harryhausen, Ken Ralston and Terry Moore), 2 new featurettes (Ray Harryhausen and The Chioda Brothers and Ray Harryhausen and Mighty Joe Young) and the film's theatrical trailer.

Finally, The Last Days of Pompeii will include the 96-minute, B&W film on video in the original full frame, with Dolby Digital 2.0 mono audio and English, French and Spanish subtitles. There are no extras.

We're waiting on high-quality cover art for any and all of the above. We'll post it as soon as it comes in.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:46 pm

I LOVE A THE KONG!
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby Agent Alonzo on Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:13 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:I LOVE A THE DONG!

:shock:
alonzo..... my apologies you ho-bag! - banthafodderUK

...that was the funniest post I've ever read at AICN. Comedy gold. I'm stealing it and shooting it in nothing other than a static two-shot. - Kevin Smith
Agent Alonzo
UMAGAA OMBONGO

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:14 am

I love a him too... Sixteen Candles...

"No more yankie my wankie! The Donger need food!"
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby bluebottle on Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:04 pm

and here's the cover art, from the good folks at www.thedigitalbits.com

bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:31 pm

Say what a you will about a my Kong, but the Dino, he love alla things Kong anna he canna wait for this DVD release.
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby MasterWhedon on Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:15 pm

Bluebottle's scoop is top story on the main site: http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20956
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby bluebottle on Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:23 pm

hey, i made the site! thanks, MW for pointing it out!
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:32 pm

Okay, the Dino, he take a lotta crappa from alla you fan-a-boys for a my Kong. You just donna get it. This guy? He get it... it's a customer review from a the Amazon.com:

Curtis Martin wrote:Firstly, I'd like to dispel a misconception that many "reviewers" here onsite are promoting: that the 1976 verison of "King Kong" was a notorious financial flop. This is simply not the case.

King Kong (1976)was a huge hit back in the seventies--I know because I was there, I saw the frenzy, I remember the crowded theaters. It cost $24 million and made $60 in 1977 dollars, only a little less than the highly regarded blockbuster "Jaws" made a couple of years earlier. Calling the film a commercial "flop" is not just inaccurate--it is a statement that borders on stupid.

Now, admittedly, it also had a huge pr campaign, which undoubtedly helped it garner a lot of that dough, but there was a lot more to the flick than just the hype.

While the commercial success of the film is a matter of indisputible record, its artistic success is a matter of personal opinion. I happen to think this is one of the best pop films of the Seventies--and there are a lot more folks out there who agree with me than you think.

Many people rag on the film for not being reverential to the original, ignoring that fact that "being reverential" was the antitheseis of what the 70s were about. Kong 76 could have probably been an even bigger hit than it was if the filmmakers had played it safe and hadn't gone out of their way to make a film so stubbornly odd. I mean this thing stomps over a gigantic swath of styles: panoramic spectacle, high adventure, pathos, romance, social commentary, absurdist comedy, thrills, and occasionally outright goofiness--all comprised in a slyly satiric package designed to tweak the noses of Kong purists. Lorenzo Semple Jr.'s ("Papillon ") screenplay is all over the place when it comes to style and tone, borrowing from whatever and whenever, almost as though it had been patched together from several different treatments--yet it still remains incredibly tight in terms of interesting, well-drawn, consistent characters, witty dialog, exploration of theme, and the forward momentum of the plot. King Kong 76 is a great example of anarchic postmodernism being perfectly wed to the staunch formalism of good storytelling. A contemporary example of this approach would be Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill films.

The direction by veteran John Guillermin was absolutely fearless, pushing each of Semple's concepts to its limit, even at the risk of seeming silly. And he had a great cast to work with, especially young Jessica Lange in her first film role. Unfortunately, Jessica played the role of the vivacious, childlike, kinda dimwitted bubblehead blonde Dwan so incredibly well that most people wrote her off, assuming she was just a dumb blonde playing herself. But in actuality it is a bravura performance, one of the best in her career, and certainly a more individual, more fully-realized character performance than we get in most movies these days.

As big a hit as the disco era Kong was, however, there were a lot of people who were put off because they weren't expecting anything as freewheeling and insane as what they were given. They weren't expecting weirdness and satire. They weren't expecting to see Kong blowing a hot, wet blonde dry after a dip in a lake (metaphors anyone?), a scene simultaneously erotic and ridiculous. They weren't expecting to see the captured Kong turned in to a corporate shill--is there any scene in mainstream 70s cinema more surrealistically satiric than that of Kong being presented to the masses encased in a thirty story replica of a gasoline pump? They also were not expecting to see a big budget adventure film with a downer ending--the romantic leads ending up emotionally separated by their experiences instead of united. And they didn't expect to feel bad when the monster died.

So I put it to you all that not only was the 1976 Kong a financial success, it was also an artistic success. But you can't watch it as a remake of a classic film. It is no more a remake of the 1933 King Kong than Quentin's Kill Bill is a remake of Sonny Chiba's Streetfighter's Revenge. Watch the film for what it is, not what you think it should have been, or what you wanted it to be, and you will be better able to appreciate its cracked brilliance.
DinoDeLaurentiis

Postby kortanaskew on Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:38 pm

So I watched Disc 1 of this set yesterday.

Ive seen the movie at least once when I was a kid. At least 21 years ago. So this is the first time I paid any attention.

The movie itself is good overall. But Im a nitpicky motherfucker.

The print itself is nice and the soundtrack is great. Theres a few crackles in the film and pops in the sound that couldnt be avoided.

Where do i start. Well I watched all the trailers of Merian C Cooper productions first. And did Mighty Joe Young kick ass or what? Thats a fucking trailer. A Big ass gorilla kicking the shit out of rampaging lions.
If anything would ever make me want to see a film it would be that. The advancement in technology over a 16 year period make the original Kong look pretty silly. Thankfully Kong has a decent film to fall back on. Harryhausens work in that MJY trailer is defintiely some of his best

Let's get on with the movie.

That Carl Denham dude is one of the worst directors ever. He came allt he way out to skull island and has only a few seconds of footage. C'mon dude. I know the camerawork was tedious back then with the cranking and the camera only pointing in one direction at once. But at least finish the real eh? i mean it is an undiscovered island with unusual fauna and wildlife surely this interest someone in the scientific community.

Fuck Chivalry man. Over a dozen men killed in pursuit of Ann Darrow and Kong. No way one hot dame is worth 12 lives.

I love how vicious these animals were even back in 1933. Dont screw with a Diplodocus man.

But no more vicious than Man. Look how they had shot down the stegosaurus even after it had fallen from a hail of gunfire.

"Me Likey go boat? Me Likey Catch Missy?"
Clazy Brack man on Deck."

Ethnic comic relief from "CHARLIE the Cook" is hilarious ;)
For shame Victor Wong. For shame.

Okay Im not Carl Denham. And I know the movie is called King Kong. While indeed Kong is truly The Eighth Wonder Of The World. and he is probably the only one of his kind. At least before Son Of Kong and Mighty Joe Young were discovered. And it's true that the mountain gorilla had only just been discovered some 32 years earlier. But it still was a boring old Gorilla. Why not bring back something we've NEVER seen like Oh, let's say a FREAKIN DINOSAUR??! The uneducated sailors didn't even know what they were looking at. Im sure a T-Rex that has the ability to scratch his head with those tiny arms could fetch a lot more at the Box office than a hairy ape. Let's never send Carl Denham into space. He's liable to bring back a species of human thats 8 feet tall rather than the green alien with 8 arms and 8 eyes.

BROADWAY? A GIANT GORILLA on the same stage as the ROCKETTES? What the hell was Denham smoking? Where's the CAGE? Or did he plan on Keeping Kong chain up to a wall for life with adamantium chains.

Wouldnt a Zoo been more prepared to house such a creature?

And he charges 20 bucks a ticket making Ten Thousand in one showing at one Theatre. I dont think even the NEW 2005 Kong film can equal those numbers. Who could afford 20 bucks a seat? Wasn't like movie prices like a dime back then? Im believe a broadway show then was like 5 bucks.
Imagine to pay all that money to see a Gorilla just growl a few mintues and then it's over.

Why was the city and Carl so intent on killing Kong after his escape. I mean all they need to do was gas him again right?

Obviously I could go on nitpicking this all day, but the truth is enjoyed it too much.
kortanaskew
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:43 pm

kortanaskew wrote: But it still was a boring old Gorilla. Why not bring back something we've NEVER seen like Oh, let's say a FREAKIN DINOSAUR??! The uneducated sailors didn't even know what they were looking at. Im sure a T-Rex that has the ability to scratch his head with those tiny arms could fetch a lot more at the Box office than a hairy ape. Let's never send Carl Denham into space. He's liable to bring back a species of human thats 8 feet tall rather than the green alien with 8 arms and 8 eyes.

What Dinosaur chased them all the way down to the beach?? There is your answer.
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby kortanaskew on Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:05 pm

What Dinosaur chased them all the way down to the beach?? There is your answer.

LAZY SAILORS!

Actually Denham stated at the Gates to the Wall that he wanted to go out after Kong and bring him back.

But yeah I guess you're right. Just the ease of bringing back Kong does make more sense then going out after a dinosaur.
kortanaskew
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:08 pm

The real question is why would the villagers/natives put a big giant door in the wall large enough for Kong to get through? Was Kong in his youth assisting them with constructing huts?
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby austenandrews on Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:22 pm

I've only watched disc 1 so far, and I'm fairly happy with it. Except for the commentary. Harryhausen was cool enough, but the credits list Fay Wray as participating, yet they only include two or three sentences from some past interview. Very misleading. I was looking forward to some stories from the set.
austenandrews
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby kortanaskew on Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:25 pm

Chairman Kaga wrote:The real question is why would the villagers/natives put a big giant door in the wall large enough for Kong to get through? Was Kong in his youth assisting them with constructing huts?

I cannot believe I missed that one. But seriously WTF!?
What is that door doing there.

Don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonite pondering on that one.
kortanaskew
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:32 pm

Kong used a to deliver pizzas to a the natives inna the old a days, eh?

He dinna get very big a tips...
DinoDeLaurentiis

Re: KING KONG 1933 Blu-ray

Postby TheButcher on Mon May 31, 2010 9:59 pm

From THR:
Original 'King Kong' coming to Blu-ray

From Home Media:
Warner Brings Original ‘Kong’ to Blu-ray Sept. 28
Chris Tribbey wrote:He’s large, in charge and in September, he’ll be in 1080p.

On the heels of several successful classic film releases on Blu-ray Disc, Warner Home Video has remastered another all-time favorite for Blu-ray: the original 1933 RKO King Kong. The Sept. 28 release (pre-order Aug. 24) will include extensive bonus features and will be packaged with a 32-page Blu-ray color book, featuring photography and trivia. It is listed at $34.99.

“The success of great classic films such as Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind, North by Northwest, and most recently, Doctor Zhivago, on the new state-of-the-art Blu-ray format, encouraged us not to wait and withhold this seminal film from the marketplace,” said Jeff Baker, Warner Home Video’s SVP and GM of theatrical catalog. “Consumer research and studio data indicate that Blu-ray households are openly receptive toward re-buying select films that rise to a level of being considered classic or legendary in nature. Clearly the original King Kong falls within that definition.”

The 32-page book comes courtesy of film historian Rudy Behlmer, while the disc bonuses include a documentary on Kong creator Merian C. Cooper, directed by filmmakers Kevin Brownlow and Christopher Bird, and a commentary by creature creator Ray Harryhausen and visual effects artist Ken Ralston, with archival sound bites from Merian C. Copper and Fay Wray. There’s also a seven-part documentary about the making of the film and trailers.

The film itself will include all the scenes cut from the re-releases, presenting the 1933 version in its entirety.

Warner also will make Kong available on demand, and for download to rent or own via iTunes, Amazon VOD and gaming consoles.
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Re: KING KONG 1933 DVD 8th Wonder Edition?

Postby GothamAlleys on Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:48 am

I just wish the 1978 version would get some attention too. I know it gets some slack nowadays but I always enjoyed that version a lot and it still remains the only modern rendering of the story which I find very interesting
GothamAlleys
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby SilentScream on Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:27 am

GothamAlleys wrote:I just wish the 1978 version would get some attention too. I know it gets some slack nowadays but I always enjoyed that version a lot and it still remains the only modern rendering of the story which I find very interesting

The original Kong will never, ever be surpassed. It's now passed into film folklore and that is that. But I agree that the 1976 version is pretty underrated. It's a lot of fun and a lot more to the spirit of the story than the bombastic, overblown Peter Jackson movie of 2005 which failed - for me, anyway - on pretty much every level of entertainment. The effects were good, yes, as you would expect, but it came across predominately as a hollow, vacuous piece of vanity filmaking, whereas the original Kong and even the 76 version had both spectacle and a heart to it.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby GothamAlleys on Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:12 am

SilentScream wrote:
GothamAlleys wrote:I just wish the 1978 version would get some attention too. I know it gets some slack nowadays but I always enjoyed that version a lot and it still remains the only modern rendering of the story which I find very interesting

The original Kong will never, ever be surpassed. It's now passed into film folklore and that is that. But I agree that the 1976 version is pretty underrated. It's a lot of fun and a lot more to the spirit of the story than the bombastic, overblown Peter Jackson movie of 2005 which failed - for me, anyway - on pretty much every level of entertainment. The effects were good, yes, as you would expect, but it came across predominately as a hollow, vacuous piece of vanity filmaking, whereas the original Kong and even the 76 version had both spectacle and a heart to it.

Well I enjoyed Jackson's too. Actually, I think Jackson's Kong was one of the best movies of the decade and was one of those very, very rare recent films that had both grandeur and heart. The 76 version (idk why I typed 78 previously) I just look at as a different take and a very different movie which I also enjoyed a lot. I always found the scene of Kong wrecking through the wall and falling into the gas trap to be very memorable and very good, and I liked the sound of Kong's roar in it (later used for Thanator in Avatar)

The only ones I didnt like where the sequels to the 76 movie.
GothamAlleys
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby SilentScream on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:36 pm

GothamAlleys wrote:
SilentScream wrote:

Well I enjoyed Jackson's too. Actually, I think Jackson's Kong was one of the best movies of the decade and was one of those very, very rare recent films that had both grandeur and heart. The 76 version (idk why I typed 78 previously) I just look at as a different take and a very different movie which I also enjoyed a lot. I always found the scene of Kong wrecking through the wall and falling into the gas trap to be very memorable and very good, and I liked the sound of Kong's roar in it (later used for Thanator in Avatar)

The only ones I didnt like where the sequels to the 76 movie.

I thought the CGI in Jackson's version were effectively and efficiently done - as would be expected in this day and age of computer and technology wizardry. But the whole enterprise just left me cold. I got the impression of a director wanting to show off too much, a director still high on the undoubted success of LOTR. There was far too much going on in Jackson's Kong for my liking; he wouldn't pull the reins back, each scene more or less had to be bigger and better than the previous one and in the end I just bored by the relentless building up of it all. The pacing was too overzealous for my liking and it ended up like a movie of crashing cymbals - bang! bang! bang! bang! More scattered than structured.
Saying that, I have a great affection for the original so I maybe unduly biased.
SilentScream
CHEETS ON HIS WIFE

Postby GothamAlleys on Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:18 pm

I agree that theres too much going on on the island and something going on there are way over the top, but the buildup and the scenes in NYC are where the beef is.
GothamAlleys
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby ufoclub1977 on Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:38 am

I do have the '76 one on blu-ray, and in my opinion it has the most heart and sadness (that ending is tremendous for a 7 year old). I really appreciate the ambitious style and the quality of the effects of most of the Jackson one, but it fails as an engaging movie narrative for me. I think a fan made edit is due... to whittle it down to the main story points and focus back on the plot as opposed to the spectacle and details. I'd like to see that. Or maybe Peter Jackson himself could hit it with a new editor for a special release. That could be a first! A director's cut that is dramatically shorter.
ufoclub1977
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Tyrone_Shoelaces on Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:18 pm

ufoclub1977 wrote:I think a fan made edit is due...

Start with removing the spider pit scene (again) and Jamie Bell.
Tyrone_Shoelaces
AIRWOLF PLUS

Return to DVD / Blu-ray