MOST ANNOYING THING WITH DVDS THESE DAYS!

Betamax and beyond

MOST ANNOYING THING WITH DVDS THESE DAYS!

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:11 am

In the past week, i've been given or perchased at leat 15 dvd's.

9 of those have COVER SLIPS!!!

8 of them are COMPLEATLY usless to the dvd as all they are are the same image thats on the cover of the dvd.

AND universal and DISNY have both decided that they like to put their dvd's in cases that LOCK!!!

WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH ALL OF THIS ALF SHIT!!!
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:17 am

The thing that bugs me the most are the DVDs with previews, ads, and other bullshit that start automatically when you put the DVD in and that you CAN'T SKIP by pushing the menu button.

Drives me crazy.
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:27 am

I hate the fact its almost impossible to watch a DVD if you lose the remote for the player. Most players (especially cheap ones from supermarkets) have no controls on the front panel, so if you loose or break the remote as frequently as i do then you are stuffed.
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ThisIsTheGirl on Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:46 am

I hate all the things you have mentioned, plus the fact that sometimes my player has trouble paying DVDs which normally work perfectly well
ThisIsTheGirl
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:48 am

Oh yeah you guys bring up a lot of good points. Also, no one has mentioned it yet, but don't you fucking hate it when your DVD player turns into a little mechanical gremlin and anally rapes you night after night? I hate waking up in the morning and crapping out The Long Kiss Goodnight, 50 First Dates, and Fantastic Four.

Maybe my DVD player is trying to tell me something.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:53 am

That the movies you like are "shit"? Wa wa wa waaaaaaaa.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:54 am

Oh man... do I have to explain the difference between a "set-up" post and a post that is a "stand-alone" again?

Curse you chocolate man. Curse you.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Pacino86845 on Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:06 am

Yeah I know, I totally ruined your joke with that last post.

I am that permanent chocolate stain on your favorite white shirt.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:10 am

:-\
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Cpt Kirks 2pay on Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:12 am

Stop it.
Cpt Kirks 2pay
The Dark Tower

Postby MadCapsule on Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:26 am

Oo! Oo! Me! I hate it when I find what I think is an easter egg and it turns out to be the credits for the people that made the DVD!
MadCapsule
SUSAN CAGLE

Postby DerLanghaarige on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:27 am

I hate to buy a DVD for just a few bucks and a few days later a really goos SE comes out.
(And the easter egg credit thing)
DerLanghaarige
Lohman's Wet Shirt

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:52 pm

Hey paisan, the little locking clips onna the DVD case? You can a just a twist a them off, eh? They only meant as a the anti-theft a device anna inna fact, Disney even a tells a you to twist anna break a them off after a you go anna buy a the movie...

Now, iffa you got a the bambinos... having a the little locking clips is a not a the bad idea. They gonna to protect a your investment from a the dirty little fingerprints anna scratches, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:00 pm

I hate when I get a dual disc that doesn't even work.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby colonel_lugz on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:02 pm

I hate that crappy release of Goodfellas where I have to get up and flip the disc half way through the film
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:02 pm

OK, the number one thing I hate on DVDs are the ads/previews/etc at the beginning of the disk, especially if you can't skip them. And ESPECIALLY that damn anti-piracy ad. I just bought the movie, you idiots, you don't need to lecture me about pirating it too.

The number two thing I hate (which happens to be the number one thing I hate about CDs) are those damn stickers you have to peel off the top, bottom and sides of the case to open it. It's bad enough on CD, where you only have ONE sticker to peel off, and it's attached to a plastic case. But I've bought a few DVDs that had THREE stickers, and they're all stuck to the plastic covering the cover art which is a lot harder to peel off without damaging the plastic underneath. I believe there is a hell, and when the guy who invented those damn stickers dies, he's gonna end up there spending eternity peeling the stickers off of CD and DVD cases.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby CthulhuKid on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:08 pm

Animated Menus that you can't fast forward through (H@rry Potter, I'm looking at you) and games you have to play in order to get to the special Features (Dammit Potter!)
CthulhuKid
MONKEY BUTLER

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:08 pm

Ive always hated the REGION thing most. That is the most mongloid-esque concept they ever came up with. WTF? Why split regions up? just make them universally playable. Goddamn mooks!

At this point in time DVDs should be packed with info/well priced/playable on any DVD player. They also should have better packaging (ESP NO SNAP CASES WITH FUCKIN CARDBOARD!). Its 2006, get on the ball you crappy DVD making slugs!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby John-Locke on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:16 pm

I hate renting a movie which I have avoided seeing much footage from only for some animated premenu thingy to give away major plot points, I cant think of an example off the top of my head but I have definately had movies spoiled like this before, what are they thinking?
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:27 pm

They're getting rarer and rarer these days, but I hate Pan & Scan DVDs. I originally got into DVDs because I could finally get to see movies without the sides chopped off. Now that I have a widescreen TV, Pan & Scan DVDs are even more pointless.

The worst is when a DVD is released in both a widescreen and Pan & Scan version, and you accidentally buy the P&S version and don't realize it til you get it home. Or when Blockbuster/Hollywood/etc. only carries the P&S version of the movie.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:45 pm

Disc producers who still consider menus and theatrical trailers to be special features.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby BabiesCoffin on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:54 pm

I hate the little black rectangular security tags inside the DVD case. Expecially when its a cardborad case and taking the damn thing off could rip the case.
BabiesCoffin
GLIB

Postby jgraphix on Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:57 pm

Yeah...those paper stock cases are worthless pieces of $h!t.
"If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby BabiesCoffin on Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:15 pm

And what the hell is up with those cases that have the dvds overlapping each other. I just recently came across those with the extended cut of Sin City and Lost.
BabiesCoffin
GLIB

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:37 pm

TheBaxter wrote:OK, the number one thing I hate on DVDs are the ads/previews/etc at the beginning of the disk, especially if you can't skip them. And ESPECIALLY that damn anti-piracy ad. I just bought the movie, you idiots, you don't need to lecture me about pirating it too.

Some RHINO DVDs, especially the Mystery Science Theater 3000 discs, have a special notice in which, when the text appears, a photo of J. Edgar Hoover is defaced while dramatic music plays. The first few times I saw it I laughed so hard I thought I'd plotz.

Off to CPR certification.
Last edited by DennisMM on Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:16 pm

Hehehe... yes, I notice a that a too, eh? Those crafty Rhino putzes...
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby The Hellboy on Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:52 am

Fried Gold wrote:Disc producers who still consider menus and theatrical trailers to be special features.

That's the studio marketing departments.
Aw, crap!
The Hellboy
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Postby wonkabar on Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:02 am

I hate it when the menu plays clips from the movie for what seems like an eternity before the actual "play movie-ch.select-special features" etc. even appear. Just put the options up, don't spend five minutes trying to give the friggin menu a plot.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:14 am

Can someone explain why so many DVDs have those slipcovers over the DVD case? They are nothing but a glossy version of the cover of the DVD case. I just throw them out, but why do studios release DVDs with them?

-- Tom

I've asked two studios and they don't even know. I'm assuming it's to protect the cover/case until a studio can actually tell me otherwise.

-- Andy

Maybe it's so Wal-mart can stick a bunch of crap on the front without risking damage to the real cover? *shrugs*

I hate the little locks on the DVD cases. Why can't they just snap shut like they used to?

I also hate the security tape affixed to the outside of the cover. I've peeled away some of the plastic cover trying to get that tape off sometimes!
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby wonkabar on Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:17 am

Oh Jesus, all the stickers on DVD's make me positively homicidal
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Quint on Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:25 am

My least favorite trend in DVDs now has to be the idea of releasing a regular edition with no extras at regular price the exact same time as they release a 2-disc edition with the regular amount of features for $30 plus bucks.

Master & Commander, War of the Worlds, Batman Begins (although with begins, at least you got a thick comic with it) have all done it recently. I hate that.

I also think it's bullshit when you can't fast forward through the FBI warning. It sucks that you can't just hit menu to get around it, but even on video you can fast forward through the eternal FBI warnings....
Quint
AICN Crew

Postby tapehead on Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:58 am

Lord Voldemoo wrote:The thing that bugs me the most are the DVDs with previews, ads, and other bullshit that start automatically when you put the DVD in and that you CAN'T SKIP by pushing the menu button.

Drives me crazy.

this shit pisses me off so much I will literally take this disc and extract those files and burn myself a 'nice' version without that offensive garbage - I can stand trailers at the movies, but after so many years sitting on the fast-forward in vhs days
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby WinslowLeach on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:28 am

Make sure to buy a DVD CLAW at the Video Watchdog site! It sure helps!
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:04 pm

this thread totally reminds me of why i love the criterion collection so much. no fbi warning, no previews, no bullshit, just straight to the menu. and quickly too, i might add.
alas, this thread is not about love, it is about hate. so onto the hate

one thing i hate about dvds is when they are released by warner brothers. i am actually trying to bring a suit against them in the supreme court, that if successful will make it a federal offense for warner brothers to ever realease another dvd. even if they own the rights to the film, they will be obligated by law to sell or hand over the rights to a company that actually gives a shit about the movies and the directors they choose to honor, by treating their work with respect, instead of the cleveland steamer on the corpses of those same filmmakers that old WB always chooses to leave instead. yeah, thanks for the work kubrick. warner brothers are responsible for the weakest dvd presentations bar none. goodfellas on two fucking sides of the goddamned disc!?!?!? FUCK YOU! fuck your cheap ass cardboard snap cases. fuck your "chapter selection" screens that only allow you to select every third fucking chapter. fuck your atrocious treatment of important film classics like Barry Lyndon, or Akira Kurosawa's Dreams. seriously, who is the ceo of warners? because they should just have a picture on the back of all of their dvds of that douchebag wiping his ass with the print of whatever movie you just bought. ooh i get so fucking mad over such stupid shit.
while im hating, did anyone else find that the packaging of the Lost season 1 dvd set to be as crappy as i did? it looks and feels like it was just thrown together at the last minute. cheap cheap packaging. im sure they thought "eh, the rubes that buy this wont give a shit". fuckin fuckers.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:08 pm

ya - the FBI warnings - or even teh trailers you can't menu or fast forward past - i find the Next Chapter or forward button works though - i just keep pressing it till i get to the menu - but there's no point to it - if we wanna see the trailers - we'll select them in the options - it's usally all the crappy trailers you can't skip anyways - and the FBI warning - hasn't everybody seen that thing forever - do they really need to make it damn near impossible to skip - i mean - when i'm publicly screening a film for profit without a written consent from the filmmakers and that warning comes up - it pisses off everybody i'm showing it to - especially the dudes in the front row with the video cameras... mofos i say...mofos...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby jgraphix on Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:12 pm

anyone else find that the packaging of the Lost season 1 dvd set to be as crappy as i did? it looks and feels like it was just thrown together at the last minute. cheap cheap packaging. im sure they thought "eh, the rubes that buy this wont give a shit". fuckin fuckers.

Yeah...It's the same for the Alias sets too. They are almost identical.
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby wonkabar on Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:21 pm

How 'bout the fact that Warners printed the same Bakshi-LOTR chapter-info in the Rankin/Bass-ROTK-case....how cheap can you get?
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby tapehead on Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:23 pm

Both the Family Guy and Serenity sets I got from FOX were in this crappy slimline cases (cheap, slick black plastic) with sleeves the quality of a bubble-jet printer - SHHEEEIT!. The Box the individual disc cases are in are nice though.
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby tfactor on Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:32 pm

you know I get shit from my parents everytime I burn them a movie because sure enough that damn federal warning comes on and everytime they call me as it comes on the tv to say "did you not see the warning?"

Yes mother I did see the warning however I don't think the federal government is hunting me down just yet, unless they've seen my vegetable garden and the stinky 7 leaf plants in there.

But I always get a kick out of that "you wouldn't steal a car, you wouldn't steal a TV, don't steal movies - pirating is illegal" commercial because as the questions are asked I'm sitting there going "did that, did that last week, plan on doing that tonight" it's an ongoing joke in my house.
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Theta on Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:51 pm

I feel compelled, reading this thread, to point out that there's a special edition of GoodFellas out with the movie on one side. And that it's, you know, kind of replaced the flipper, which went out of production quite a while ago. Yes, it's a double dip, but Warners is the only studio doing good jobs with its editions at this point (for evidence I refer you to "Kong", "Bringing Up Baby", "Singin' In The Rain", "The Adventures of Robin Hood", etc. All full of carefully selected documentaries, cartoons, commentaries, etc.)

So it's worth it, you cheap bastards.

As for what I hate:

--Universal Home Video. Not for the prices (which are dirt-cheap), not for the transfers (which are rarely restored but usually good), but for the total lack of promotion, extras, and respect. "The Gary Cooper Collection" contains "Design for Living" and "Beau Geste", movies I'd been greatly looking forward to and I only found out they were on the market by complete accident. No reviews of the set hit any DVD site I read, not even the meticulous Barrie Maxwell over at The Digital Bits.

And it's dumped on a disc with three other movies ranging from middling ("Peter Ibbetson") to lame ("The General Died at Dawn".)

--Disc bloat. There is precisely one three-disc release of a movie that is of total use to every owner, and that is Criterion's "Battle of Algiers", which is basically a film course AND a poli-sci course in a box (complete with written materials.) The third disc in "Brazil" and "The Leopard" are dedicated to compromised cuts of the films, which are of interest to editing students and no one else. Most two-disc editions are so lacking in content the second disc might as well be a coaster. And don't even get me started on what merits a two-disc and what doesn't.
Theta
AIRWOLF

Postby jgraphix on Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:53 pm

I think that Miramax and Lions Gate put out above average quality on their releases. They are quick to get the double dip too.
jgraphix
AIRWOLF

Postby fireguy309 on Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:56 pm

I have been kept awake nights wondering the same exact thing. what the fuck is up with the SLIP COVERS are we back in the 50's is dust that big a factor ? and as far as the locking cases go that took a real asshole too invent ! :evil: I have broken more than one in the process of opening a new dvd
fireguy309
GLIB

Postby Brocktune on Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:10 pm

Theta wrote:I feel compelled, reading this thread, to point out that there's a special edition of GoodFellas out with the movie on one side. And that it's, you know, kind of replaced the flipper, which went out of production quite a while ago. Yes, it's a double dip, but Warners is the only studio doing good jobs with its editions at this point (for evidence I refer you to "Kong", "Bringing Up Baby", "Singin' In The Rain", "The Adventures of Robin Hood", etc. All full of carefully selected documentaries, cartoons, commentaries, etc.)

So it's worth it, you cheap bastards.

i am well aware of the more recent edition of goodfellas. i am also painfully aware of my lack of desire to give more money to the theiving crooks who fucked me the first time on another copy of their movie. fuck you warner brothers. in addition, i find your claim that "warner's is the only studio doing good jobs with it's editions at this point" to be highly dubious. even in light of the massive amount of evidence to the contrary that you have produced. no thank you warner brothers, i will stick to my criterion laserdisc of Singin in the Rain. extras be damned.

that reminds me of another thing i hate about dvds. you know how they all have the sticker with the title on at the top (moronic warner brother puts like 4 of these on. one on every side of their weak, weak packaging). well, half of the time when i try to get the sticker off, it has tons and tons of this awesome glue stuck to the plastic on the case. not only ruining its own case, but should i be stupid enough to actually put this heap of shit into my dvd rack, it will ruin the plastic on the cases of its neighbors. lame. that and when the shrink wrap sticks to the spine, thusly ruining that too. i love having to buy dvds, and then spend more money on an extra case for it, because those tightwads are too fucking cheap to call 3m, and start using that post it note glue on those fuckers. i said GODDAMN!
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:24 pm

Warner has gotten alot better. The new Goodfellas and the remastering on the second Kubrick-set were amazing--I just wish they had changed the packaging. I mean, just a blue "digitally remastered" strip across the top, same white case? My poor friend recently bought a used SHINING, not noticing it lacked the blue-strip or even knowing that the film had been remastered. Poor fool. The difference in picture and sound quality is like night and day. I had never really seen The Shining until I watched the remastered version. It's a crime that Cable stations such as TNT are allowed to play the old version just cuz they're too lazy to do a new TV-edit. It really is like watching a different movie. Same with all the Kubrick collection.. even FMJ. It's a travesty they even put out that first set in 99. Poor Brocktune is stuck with that one. We compared his Kubrick to mine, and his came up short. He was so jealous of my bigger and better Kubrick...clearly, he had the lesser Kubrick.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Brocktune on Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:29 pm

aye
i do suffer from kubrick envy.
but its not my fault i went and blew my wad too early on the first set. i just couldnt wait.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby wonkabar on Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:13 pm

Brocktune wrote:aye
i do suffer from kubrick envy.

It's ok, there are many who suffer Kubrick-envy
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby RogueScribner on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:27 pm

The original Goodfellas DVD was realeased March 26, 1997. How many 2-disc movies do you figure were for sale back then? That was the infancy of DVD when most DVDs were flippers in cardboard covers. I don't chide Warner Bros. for making the disc, I chide them for waiting so long to give the public something better.

Like the Batman movies. They've FINALLY released some 2-disc special editions. That was a long time coming and I'm glad it happened. The original DVD transfer on the original film was subpar to say the least.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby TheButcher on Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:44 am

DerLanghaarige wrote:I hate to buy a DVD for just a few bucks and a few days later a really goos SE comes out.

Damn just wait until Blu-ray replaces the standard DVD format and people have to replace all of their current DVD's.

TheBaxter wrote:They're getting rarer and rarer these days, but I hate Pan & Scan DVDs. I originally got into DVDs because I could finally get to see movies without the sides chopped off. Now that I have a widescreen TV, Pan & Scan DVDs are even more pointless.

The worst is when a DVD is released in both a widescreen and Pan & Scan version, and you accidentally buy the P&S version and don't realize it til you get it home. Or when Blockbuster/Hollywood/etc. only carries the P&S version of the movie.

I hate P&S and I hate when I can't find a widescreen version of a movie.

Quint wrote:My least favorite trend in DVDs now has to be the idea of releasing a regular edition with no extras at regular price the exact same time as they release a 2-disc edition with the regular amount of features for $30 plus bucks.

Master & Commander, War of the Worlds, Batman Begins (although with begins, at least you got a thick comic with it) have all done it recently. I hate that.

I also think it's bullshit when you can't fast forward through the FBI warning. It sucks that you can't just hit menu to get around it, but even on video you can fast forward through the eternal FBI warnings....

I wouldn't mind the 2 disc thing if they had really good extras. But sadly that isn't the case. I also hate when companies rerelease a super special edition dvd just before the sequel comes out in theaters. coughSPIDERMANcough
TheButcher
ZONE NEWS DIRECTOR

Postby bastard_robo on Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:05 am

TheButcher wrote:
DerLanghaarige wrote:I hate to buy a DVD for just a few bucks and a few days later a really goos SE comes out.

Damn just wait until Blu-ray replaces the standard DVD format and people have to replace all of their current DVD's.)

Thats one thing thats annoying me now...

Having to upgrade now, like a friggin game system...

I dont know about you, but i aint rebuying my 300+ dvd collection just so they can look slightly better.

If a dvd is transferd properly, it looks nice enough... On HD tv or not...

Having to buy Star Wars or Back to the Future cause they have a higher pixle count...

Future DVD's like Kong and so forth, yeah i'll buy, but im not rebuying everything just so it'll look a little nicer.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:01 am

That's one of the reasons why I can't see HD DVDs being a runaway success. Apart from high end home cinema completists, I don't see Mr & Mrs General Public rushing out to re-purchase their back-catalogue.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Next

Return to DVD / Blu-ray