MOST ANNOYING THING WITH DVDS THESE DAYS!

Betamax and beyond

Postby You Know My Name on Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:32 pm

I hate how the slightest scratches on the back side of the disc fuck up the video.
You Know My Name
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby RogueScribner on Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:15 pm

You don't have to repurchase your back catalogue. Both the HD-DVD and Blu-ray format players will be backwards compatible. The only ones you'll have to rebuy are the ones you really want in HD. You'll have plenty of time to phase that collection out, it won't instantly be worthless.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:11 pm

Which is the "back side" of a DVD? The play surface or the picture surface?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:14 pm

Depends if there's a picture of j-lo on it or not.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby magicmonkey on Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:27 pm

John-Locke wrote:I hate renting a movie which I have avoided seeing much footage from only for some animated premenu thingy to give away major plot points, I cant think of an example off the top of my head but I have definately had movies spoiled like this before, what are they thinking?

Yes, yes , yes! Case in point "The Affliction". The Title screen, you know, just spilling the last 5mins of the film. Man, why?? Sure its haunting and earily evocative, telling you that you are in for a tradgedy but, I want the film to bum me out, not the title screen.
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby wonkabar on Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:32 pm

When they put seal-stickers, not just on the top, but on the bottom AND the side. And it really sucks when you get the one's that don't peel right off but break up into little bits,. You know what I mean? I just want to destroy whoever is responsible.
wonkabar
CHIEF OF THE BEEF

Postby Seppuku on Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:39 pm

...and then you're left with a shabby-looking circle of gluey substance. I guess if you signed the capitalist card at birth you should have envisioned this kinda soul-destroying shit in advance.

Speaking of which, I know it's already been mentioned, but H(is)M(aster's)V(oice)'s security labels are a bitch to open... I pwomise I won't steal anything, just let me watch my product in peace.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Retardo_Montalban on Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:42 pm

I got Married with Children season 3 for Christmas. They ruined the theme song by cutting the Sinatra classic and replacing it with some generic orchestra piece that sounds vaguely similar to "Love and Marriage". It's just distracting now. I don't know why they did this. If it has to do with royalties, they could have just played the instrumental version without Sinatra and I could sing to the tune in my head at least.
Retardo_Montalban
doubleplusungood

Postby bluebottle on Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:45 pm

the music rights issue is so tricky.

They have to either pay a ton of money to get the music, which affects the price of the DVD set, or they just replace the music.

Certain shows, like WKRP, will never be released on DVD because it's a music rights nightmare.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:52 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Certain shows, like WKRP, will never be released on DVD because it's a music rights nightmare.

That might be my biggest pet peeve with DVDs. WKRP was one of the best shows on tv, and I can't get the show on DVD because of the music.
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby bluebottle on Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:54 pm

you can find it on dvd.... sort of... a group of fans tracked down original beta tapes and meticulously transferred them onto dvd. you can find them around online for like 40-70 bucks a set.

mind you, it's not exactly legal.

but...

it's worth it.

:D
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thomasgaffney on Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:56 pm

Bluebottle wrote:you can find it on dvd.... sort of... a group of fans tracked down original beta tapes and meticulously transferred them onto dvd. you can find them around online for like 40-70 bucks a set.

mind you, it's not exactly legal.

but...

it's worth it.

:D

Thanks, Rib... Blue! That's sort of how I got the Star Wars OT on DVD (converted laserdiscs off ebay).
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby bluebottle on Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:59 pm

honestly, every production company should hire a fan as a consultant when it comes to creating dvd releases.

the stuff the fans put out are always better then the studio releases... what you lose in picture/video quality you gain in extra features.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby kortanaskew on Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:13 pm

I feel compelled, reading this thread, to point out that there's a special edition of GoodFellas out with the movie on one side. And that it's, you know, kind of replaced the flipper, which went out of production quite a while ago.

Thanks for bringing this up. PLus the fact it was necessary to do this to Goodfellas and The Right stuff because at the time of their release the DVD format could not handle a movie longer than 2 and a half hours without seriously compromising the quality.

It wasnt until the DUAL LAYER format was created that we could do this.
kortanaskew
STEAK-A-BABY

RE:

Postby kozmicthrills on Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:37 am

The friggin delay with the Blade Runner special edition which should be a huge seller.It's like I awaited for and gotten really nice editions now of most films on the upper portion of my must have list,including a few I was'nt expecting like a restored Metropolis with the original score,and even the new edition of Lynch's Dune finally due this month looks enough to make me blow a wad...now it'll be up to fans to re-edit these new materials themselves but Blade Runner?The legal stuff is about some billionaire who did'nt give a damn about the film in the first place so it's likely not to make him any richer so let the film rot...grrrr
kozmicthrills
GLIB

Postby MiltonWaddams on Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:26 am

cd cases are essentially square. when you buy empty cd cases at a store, they're the traditional square size. right next to them were blank dvd cases, which are basically the same thing, but stretched out into the "what the fuck did they do this for?" dvd size.

and whoever complained about dvd's being essentially unplayable if you lose the remote, i'm with you, that shit is infuriating.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:36 pm

Okay... so alla you putzes complaining about a the stickers anna the locking tabs anna the remotes...

Holy crappa how inna the hell did a the human race ever make it out of a the trees with a the monkey-brains like a you, eh? Are you putzes trying to pry open a the cases with a the goddamn screwdrivers or a something?

To get a the sticker offa the case without a ruining the plastic, alla you gotta to do is a run a your thumb over the leading edge of a the sticker, eh? Keep a doing it anna it will a lift uppa, anna you can a the carefully peel it off inna one nice a piece, eh?

I'd a tell a you to rub a the sticker a like a you rub a the nipple onna the woman, but I know you not gonna to know what I'm a talking about, eh? But iffa you do, the technique, she is a similar... take it from a the Dino, eh?

Anna the locking tabs? Alla you gotta to do is a open them up anna bend a them back anna forth a to soften uppa the plastic, eh? Anna then give them a the little twist anna POP! The problem, she is a solved, no?

Anna the remote? Alla you gotta to do is a buy a the goddamn universal remote anna program inna the right a code, eh? Iffa your player donna work with a the latest remote, then a you got a yourself a the piece of a the crappa player, eh? You goddamn putz!
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby thomasgaffney on Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:38 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:Okay... so alla you putzes complaining about a the stickers anna the locking tabs anna the remotes...

Holy crappa how inna the hell did a the human race ever make it out of a the trees with a the monkey-brains like a you, eh? Are you putzes trying to pry open a the cases with a the goddamn screwdrivers or a something?

To get a the sticker offa the case without a ruining the plastic, alla you gotta to do is a run a your thumb over the leading edge of a the sticker, eh? Keep a doing it anna it will a lift uppa, anna you can a the carefully peel it off inna one nice a piece, eh?

I'd a tell a you to rub a the sticker a like a you rub a the nipple onna the woman, but I know you not gonna to know what I'm a talking about, eh? But iffa you do, the technique, she is a similar... take it from a the Dino, eh?

Anna the locking tabs? Alla you gotta to do is a open them up anna bend a them back anna forth a to soften uppa the plastic, eh? Anna then give them a the little twist anna POP! The problem, she is a solved, no?

Anna the remote? Alla you gotta to do is a buy a the goddamn universal remote anna program inna the right a code, eh? Iffa your player donna work with a the latest remote, then a you got a yourself a the piece of a the crappa player, eh? You goddamn putz!

IPAMPILASH!!
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby tapehead on Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:10 pm

[quote="DinoDeLaurentiis"]Okay... so alla you putzes complaining about a the stickers anna the locking tabs anna the remotes...

Dino, you must make the ladies squeal! some don't like it (I've heard)
tapehead
BALLS!!!

Postby Peven on Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:17 pm

will anyone be surprised when an X-Men 2.5 dvd release is anounced to cash in on the approaching release of X3? isn't the X-Men 1.5 dvd the first time a studio milked a franchise in such a manner? which has led, of course, to other studios pulling similar stunts.

perversely contrarian since 2005
Peven
Is This Real Life?

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:37 pm

Peven wrote:will anyone be surprised when an X-Men 2.5 dvd release is anounced to cash in on the approaching release of X3? isn't the X-Men 1.5 dvd the first time a studio milked a franchise in such a manner? which has led, of course, to other studios pulling similar stunts.

Yes, the stunt, she sucked, eh? But to be a fair, the first single-disc X-Men DVD, she dinna have a the Director's Commentary track... Anna the double-disc X-Men 1.5, she did... so it was a the good reason to uppa-grade, no?

With a the X-Men 2 DVD, the commentary, she was onna there alla ready... a so's iffa they gonna to pull a the stunt again, they better have a some of a the good extras onna top of a the alla ready double-disc a release, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby vicious_bastard on Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:51 pm

You Know My Name wrote:I hate how the slightest scratches on the back side of the disc fuck up the video.

You can get a device that will remove a thin layer of the disc surface, thereby scuppering any scratches, but is delicate enough to preserve the data. Never used one personally and I bet they are emblazoned with disclaimers - worth a go if all else fails.

Get with the times anyway, grandpadres - DVD is dead. I advise having begun moaning ten years or so BEFORE the format became obsolete.
vicious_bastard
AIRWOLF

Postby bc1970 on Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:02 pm

Nail polish remover on a cotton ball will take away title sticker label residue off the case.
bc1970
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Previous

Return to DVD / Blu-ray