Red Dwarf VII

Betamax and beyond

Red Dwarf VII

Postby zombieslayer on Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:44 am

I keep seeing the dvd release listed as today- is dvd tuesday not a hard, set rule? I know it's probably the weakest series, but I love the Dwarf, and it's the first 3 disc set!
zombieslayer
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Seppuku on Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:56 pm

It has to be said, and it's already been said, but I'll say it again now: Red Dwarf jumped the shark with Kochanski.

The best seasons are undoubtedly 2, 3 and 4, though you could still see some creativity in later seasons, especially in that one where JFK killed himself...I'd always thought as much, it was just hard to put my conspiracy "theory" into words.

Just to remind you why the program was cancelled, this wasn't to do with lack of creativity (though that certainly cropped-up in series VII), it was mostly to do with that phoney Craig Charles rape scandal that circulated around that time. To say that Craig Charles raped that girl is like saying Gandhi raped Mother Theresa... In the respect that that Theresa bird's a fookin emaciated yeti like, why'd he wanna touch that piece?

Anyway, still awaiting on the Dwarf movie...which doesn't seem impossible. AICN tends to have a news piece on it at least once a year, so maybe it'll happen one day.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby zombieslayer on Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:42 pm

I actually really like 5 and 6 quite a bit, I know it got more actiony, but I like the pace of those. I didn't know about the rape scandal- I always just read that they were trying to get the money together for the movie. Sounds dodgy anyway, doesn't it?
I actually cringe at the JFK episode... I don't think that one plays as well in America.
zombieslayer
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby colonel_lugz on Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:45 pm

Series 7 does have some highlights but as soon as Kochanski boarded Starbug it started to go down hill, every time Chloe Annette opens her mouth I cringe, she is not a good actor. Then we came to series 8 which I dont like to talk about because it's so depressingly bad. Red Dwarf 1 - 6 is some of the greates scifi comedy in existance and i hold it very dear to my heart. As for the possibilities of a movie; well, I would love to see it happen but they've been talking about it for so long now and no progress has been made. If they finally get their acts together I would like to see them either take it in the direction of the series and stick it in after series 6 (chronological wise) and develop on what they had there.....Or fully develop one of the novels, prefferablr Better Than Life or Backwards. I recently finished reading them again and there is some pure gold lying there just waiting to be developed
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:50 pm

they should just keep writing books... keep the story alive that way. i'd be happy if that's all we got.
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:07 pm

Rob Grant ending his partnership with Doug Naylor killed Red Dwarf. Naylor should have let it be.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby zombieslayer on Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:40 pm

I'm alright with series 8, myself. Not as good as the middle series, but taking it back to basics made sense after 7 didn't work out.
zombieslayer
STEAK-A-BABY

Return to DVD / Blu-ray