'regular' TV, 'regular' sound
26%

Total votes : 46

Postby SilentBobX on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:17 am

Thanks so sorry
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby TonyWilson on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:29 am

17 inch laptop and Altec Lansing boombox giving 2.1 sound. Laaaame I know. I used to have a gorgeous 42 inch sony when lived in London but I sold it.
Elitism is positing that your taste is equivalent to quality, you hate "Hamlet" does it make it "bad"? If you think so, you're one elite motherfucker.
TonyWilson
No Less Liquid Than His Shadow

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:46 am

unikrunk wrote: Analogue really is better. So rich a sound...

ROM would disapprove...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:36 am

Reposting from a the locked thread, eh?

cmck wrote:All their fans feel the need to build themed based home theaters.

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/the_temple_ of_boom/

http://electronichouse.com/article/designing_the_d eath_star_theater/

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/star_trek_t heater/

Is this still "cool"? Do you know of any others?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Evil Hobbit on Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:40 am

I LOVE the Indy one. God damn so cool!

This is a great site as well for hdtv reviews: www.hdtvtest.co.uk
Evil Hobbit
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:40 am

havocSchultz wrote:
unikrunk wrote: Analogue really is better. So rich a sound...

ROM would disapprove...

No Way! ROM is full-on analogue - its all levers and steam and toggle-switches inside that suit, baby.

Levers and steam.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:41 am

unikrunk wrote: its all levers and steam and toggle-switches inside that suit, baby.

Levers and steam.

Bruno Gerussi would approve...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Bruno Gerussi on Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:48 am

havocSchultz wrote:
unikrunk wrote: its all levers and steam and toggle-switches inside that suit, baby.

Levers and steam.

Bruno Gerussi would approve...

I do, in fact, good call for Havoc, eh? The best thing about this model is the Yamaha 4-Stroke 2006 50 HP Select outboard boat engine...ROM makes clearing the log jams so much easier on me; I am getting old, eh.

Plus, Relic hates androids, so that is a big plus.

Hey, Relic, look at the ROM go, you filthy Newfie main-lander.
Molly can't reach this far...
Bruno Gerussi
GLIB

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:00 am

MOLLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby DennisMM on Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:45 am

I'll just take a place with a few comfy chairs and room for a 5.1 setup, thanks.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby abuckley89 on Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:57 am

Somebody should start posting pics of their home entertainment system. I'm currently looking to revamp mine and I came her looking for some ideas.
abuckley89
GLIB

Postby Fried Gold on Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:27 pm

Mine seems somewhat lacking compared to these:

Top 10 Ultimate Geeky Home Cinema setups
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:06 pm

Great Cheech's ghost!

[/kind of likes the Nautilus one...]
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: Describe your home theater

Postby Fievel on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:20 pm

Just bought a LG 55LH90. It was my mother's "Late-But-Great" wedding present to my wife and I (okay, mostly me). I had hoped to wait until we had moved out of our current little house to upgrade to a HD television, but with the housing market like it is, we're stuck here for a bit. So the television is a 55" LED backlit TV. It's going to be delivered tomorrow and I'm seriously filled with butterflies in anticipation.

Two parts of sucktitude that go along with this, though:

1. I have nothing HD to plug into it. I'm going to be looking into satellite within the week and hopefully I can get a signal in my tree-infested neighborhood. My computer is going to be right next to it so at least I can plug that into it. Ha! Fifty-five inches of The Zone......... shudder.

2. I want to mount it on the wall to save space (and keep it out of reach of my kids) but.... can't afford hiring someone to professionally install it nor can I afford a "top brand" wall mount. So that leaves me attempting to mount it on a cheap-brand (I have some recommendations). The thought of drilling the mount (whatever the brand/price) into my wall studs, hanging the TV on it, and then just hoping it holds scares the LIVING SHIT out of me. I know people do it every day, but that does little to calm the fears of someone screwing around with a $2k+ gift.

Have any of you out there done your own wall mount? Any suggestions/hints?
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:22 pm

I would describe mine as antiquated....
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby RogueScribner on Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:42 am

My home theater consists of a CRT and a DVD player.
My eye isn't lazy; it's ambidextrous!
RogueScribner
The Dork Avenger

Postby Pacino86845 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:26 am

My TV does color!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Fievel on Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:36 am

Since the following three replies haven't helped me in the slightest......

I SHALL BURN YOUR EYES!!!!!!!

Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Hermanator X on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:42 am

I dont think its too tricky fievel, depending on what you are fastening too.

Do you have bricks and mortar, or cavity walls? (wood pannelling, or plasterboard). If you have bricks and mortar, you just pick your spot and up it goes (obviously checking for any wiring or piping behind it) But if you have cavity walls, you need to be able to identify where the uprights are, which you will need to fasten into. You can normally see where they are as you will have vertical rows of pins/nails showing where the boards are fastened to the uprights, or if its all concealed with nice finishing, you need to do the tappy hammer echo test, or use one of those gadgets that checks thru the walls (never used one, but the tappy hammer thing is not too tricky, as long as you are careful).

As for the actual fastening, the wall mount that I bought actually came with a multitude of different fittings and fasteners which were rated dependant on the wall type, and weight/size of the tv. (Quite wasteful really, having 20 or so different types of screws to fasten one damn thing to the wall!!!) So its probably worth checking what fittings any mounts you look at come with.

As a cheat, you can always go to a more upmarket TV store, and pretend to be a prospective customer. Look at a model similar to your own, and just speak to the guy selling it and ask about fixing methods and describe your situation. If he thinks he is gonna get a sale, he will probably bend over backwards to give you the info you need, and then you just leave saying you will think about it. :D

Plus I wouldnt be surprised if there arent some good step by step instructions out on the net (google and you tube), and maybe even reviews of different wall mounts. Who these people that use their precious time to post these things I dont know, but im happy they do.
...and so forth.
Hermanator X
AIRWOLF

Postby Fried Gold on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:21 am

Fievel wrote:Just bought a LG 55LH90. It was my mother's "Late-But-Great" wedding present to my wife and I (okay, mostly me). I had hoped to wait until we had moved out of our current little house to upgrade to a HD television, but with the housing market like it is, we're stuck here for a bit. So the television is a 55" LED backlit TV. It's going to be delivered tomorrow and I'm seriously filled with butterflies in anticipation.

Two parts of sucktitude that go along with this, though:

1. I have nothing HD to plug into it. I'm going to be looking into satellite within the week and hopefully I can get a signal in my tree-infested neighborhood. My computer is going to be right next to it so at least I can plug that into it. Ha! Fifty-five inches of The Zone......... shudder.

2. I want to mount it on the wall to save space (and keep it out of reach of my kids) but.... can't afford hiring someone to professionally install it nor can I afford a "top brand" wall mount. So that leaves me attempting to mount it on a cheap-brand (I have some recommendations). The thought of drilling the mount (whatever the brand/price) into my wall studs, hanging the TV on it, and then just hoping it holds scares the LIVING SHIT out of me. I know people do it every day, but that does little to calm the fears of someone screwing around with a $2k+ gift.

Have any of you out there done your own wall mount? Any suggestions/hints?

Depends on the type of wall, but essentially it'll involve drilling pilot holes into the wall and inserting some rawlplugs. The screws for the wall mount then thread into the plug.

If it's a hard wall (brick, breezeblock etc) you're going to need a hammer drill. If it's plasterboard or cavity insulation, there are particular types of plug that expand out once in the wall.

If it's too worrying, buy a nice looking floor stand.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:31 am

FG - Yeah, I have a floor stand now but I'd rather mount it on the wall to keep it out of reach of the kid (to be plural in 13 days).

The television was delivered today. I'm definitely mounting this bitch. The stand it sits on now is seriously weak.
Granted, it IS a 55" screen, but one bump and it wobbles way too much for my liking.

I bought a mount from Monoprice. I've been trolling the AVS forums the past couple of months looking for ideas. Very positive reviews for this company, which comes in at a mere fraction of other brands' price.

But the TV itself? It's cool and all, but it's just begging for a HD source.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby so sorry on Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:02 pm

Fievel wrote:But the TV itself? It's cool and all, but it's just begging for a HD source.

Your new TV is going to be totally embarrassed to talk to its TV friends until you get an HD feed. Seriously, don't subject your new TV to ridicule from its peers!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby Fievel on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:05 pm

so sorry wrote:
Fievel wrote:But the TV itself? It's cool and all, but it's just begging for a HD source.

Your new TV is going to be totally embarrassed to talk to its TV friends until you get an HD feed. Seriously, don't subject your new TV to ridicule from its peers!

Problem solved.
Dish Network is coming in on Saturday morning to install HD service!
Hopefully it'll be running in time for the Michigan game.

True review of the TV to follow.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby Fried Gold on Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:43 pm

The answer is Laserdisc.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fievel on Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:45 pm

Fried Gold wrote:

The answer is Laserdisc.

I'm holding out for a good Video CD player.
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby DennisMM on Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:45 pm

My long distance love shares a house with a movie fanatic who has a 110" projection screen with 5.1, plus three rows of theater seats. Crazy.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby so sorry on Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:01 pm

So this Sunday may finally be the day that I upgrade my ancient (7 year old) 720p 46" Samsung monstrosity for a shiny new 1080p 46" LCD Samsung. Prices are pretty crazy low (around 1200 for the model I'm eyeballing), and I've held off until this weekend because I've been led to believe that the week before the Superbowl is when you get the absolute best tv deal (outside of black friday).

I'm a little scared to spend that much right now, but the wife has given me the go-ahead, and my current TV is looking so nasty.

Wish me luck.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby thomasgaffney on Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:03 pm

so sorry wrote:the wife has given me the go-ahead

What more incentive do you need? SPEND!!!

edit: oh, and good luck!
find me: twitter and goodreads
find my book: amazon and apple and barnes & noble
thomasgaffney
a might unpredictable

Postby so sorry on Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:17 pm

thomasgaffney wrote:
so sorry wrote:the wife has given me the go-ahead

What more incentive do you need? SPEND!!!

edit: oh, and good luck!

Also, I'm closing in on my 40th birthday, and I've asked the family to do one big gift for me: PS3. I'm already planning in my head which BluRay DVDs to buy...
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Previous

Return to DVD / Blu-ray