41%
widescreen HDTV no surround sound
7%
'regular' TV, 'regular' sound
26%

Total votes : 46

Describe your home theater

Postby so sorry on Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:09 pm

the thread about TCM and watching Lawerence of Arabia on a 13" TV got me thinking... what kind of set up do you other film geeks have at home? I've had a 42" widescreen HDTV with surround sound for about 3 years now, and I'm still amazed at how awesome DVDs play on it. What do you guys have?
Last edited by so sorry on Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby so sorry on Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:10 pm

Why can't you edit polls??!? Fuck, that first poll option should read "REAR projection", not read projection. fuck
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:19 pm

I have a Sony 36" TV, Malata DVD Player (all region), Onkyo Receiver (w/ 5.1 surround sound), Pioneer 25 +1 CD Jukebox Player, Pioneer Record Player. I've had this set up for about 6 years now. Its great for the size TV room I have.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:27 pm

Hey, I've got a Malata too!

You're the first person i've met (well, you know) to have one... I've never found it referenced online.

I love it... All region rules.

(and i have a 42" widescreen HD Samsung)
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:29 pm

27''. Surround sound from a system I've had since '98.

"Home" theater? Shoot, I haven't lived in a "home" since high school. More like a "single bedroom apartment theater" system.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby bluebottle on Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:31 pm

I live in a third floor apartment in a house... does that count as a "home"?
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby docfalken on Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:32 pm

54" HDTV with surround sound. Rearprojection that I've had for 4 years or so now. Don't watch a lot of DVDs but I use an Xbox as the DVD player. Currently trying to hack my Xbox so I can use it as a media player for the family.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby so sorry on Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:33 pm

It coutns as a 'home' if you've got a "home theater" in it! How the fuck did you get a 42" widescreen up to the third floor???
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby so sorry on Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:34 pm

Nice Doc! I bet those XBox games look baddass on that TV.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby docfalken on Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:35 pm

I scared the crap out of myself while playing Doom 3 in the dark after midnight with the sound cranked way up. I was seriously thinking about calling my mommy.
docfalken
HAGGIS?!?!!?!!?!

Postby so sorry on Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:38 pm

awesome! Scary movies scare me very easily, and the surround sound REALLY cranks up the scare-o-meter, so when i get adventurous and decide to try and watch some horror, I have to do it in the daytime! Maybe i should have said that in the PZ confessional....
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby WinslowLeach on Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:38 pm

Bluebottle wrote:Hey, I've got a Malata too!

You're the first person i've met (well, you know) to have one... I've never found it referenced online.

I love it... All region rules.

(and i have a 42" widescreen HD Samsung)

I actually had an APEX player for several years and that played most regions. The only problem I had was playing Region 3 DVDs, the player would play the DVDs, but you have to press a bunch of buttons first and you couldnt see the subtitles. So I bought a Malata last year (from HK FLIX) so I could watch my Asian films without any troubles. Its great.
WinslowLeach
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby cinephile2000 on Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:05 pm

I play all my movies through my Mac and plug the mac into a Dolby surround reciever. I think I got it pretty good.
Just remember, your special like everyone else.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:11 pm

My home entertainment center was made in Italy and basically looks like a 20 inch black cube with mono sound...
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Pacino86845 on Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:11 pm

It´s also really old.
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:51 am

Hehe... just a call it a the DinoTron3000, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:52 am

:D Dino, just when I'd about had enough... you come along and make a my day!!!

EDIT: Grazie mille!
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Shopping for an HDTV!

Postby Nordling on Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:57 pm

I got more back from my tax refund than I expected, so I'd like to send the Zoners on a hunt for a really good deal on an HDTV, preferably DLP, in a range up to $2K.

Do my homework for me, bitches!
Nordling
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:15 pm

before you get a DLP, make sure you're not susceptible to Rainbow Effect

i got one and had to return it because of that. unfortunately, you can't really tell unless you watch the tv in a fairly dark environment, and most stores are too bright for that.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Lord Voldemoo on Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:16 pm

My "home theater" is teh suk.

27" standard tv (color!), no surround sound.

My computer is falling apart but I've made the difficult decision that a nice new plasma or LCD is the next major purchase...
Lord Voldemoo
He Who Shall Not Be Milked

Postby Iconoclastica on Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:23 pm

13" samsung tv/vcr combo that's 16 years old connected to the PS2 that doubles as my DVD player :oops: . . . ok, I'm proud of my studenty ghettoness

I am Jack's broken heart
Iconoclastica
DEADLY ZONETTE

Postby Brocktune on Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:32 pm

so sorry wrote:Why can't you edit polls??!? Fuck, that first poll option should read "REAR projection", not read projection. fuck

i fixed it.

punctuality.
it's what us mods are known for.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby cinephile2000 on Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:40 pm

My set has changed I now hace a 32 inch tv normal not hd, with surround sound being played through my xbox, but I don't have the back two channels plugged in because it's my dorm.
Just remember, your special like everyone else.
cinephile2000
BOMB IN RIBCAGE

Postby SilentBobX on Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:46 pm

Glad I found this thread. Since I had a few questions re: New home theater system. I'm planning on buying a new tv this upcoming holiday season(black friday), and I wanted to ask all of you fine folk some questions. Mostly:

Where did you buy your hdtv/home theater? Walfart, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.

I read somewhere that you can buy the expensive hdmi cables cheap online. Anyone know what sites these are?

What brand works for you? I've read that off-brands work for HDTV just as well as big name famous brands. Like Akai, or Polaroid. Or is this wrong?

Thanks for any input, it is greatly appreciated.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:11 pm

I ended up buying my Sharp LCD HDTV from Costco of all places.

My rationale: unlike the Best Buys, Circuit Cities, etc, if I got the thing home and just plain didn't like it... they'd take it back, no questions asked (and no "restocking fee" either)! I ended up quite liking the tv, but it was comforting to know that I could have just gotten rid of it if I needed to!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Seppuku on Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:12 pm

I have a laptop. Anything bigger and my boat will begin to sink.
Dale Tremont Presents...

Seppuku
SWINGING PLASTIC LION

Postby Zarles on Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:47 pm

I read somewhere that you can buy the expensive hdmi cables cheap online. Anyone know what sites these are?

eBay. I got one for five bucks once, and that was with shipping. In stores, they're 60 and up. NEVER buy them retail. As far as brand names on them, I don't pay attention. Unless you really want to get anal about it, just buy the ones you can afford.

My 'theater' is my room, and I've got a 32" Magnavox HDTV with a Sony stereo receiver, two Jensen speakers, and an RCA upward-converting DVD player. Like I said, it's all in my room, so I don't need too much power. Suits me fine.
Last edited by Zarles on Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Maui on Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:48 pm

Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:50 pm

And Maui wins the thread! :lol:
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:16 pm

SilentBobX wrote:I read somewhere that you can buy the expensive hdmi cables cheap online. Anyone know what sites these are?

What brand works for you? I've read that off-brands work for HDTV just as well as big name famous brands. Like Akai, or Polaroid. Or is this wrong?

I'm not sure if you're talking about cables, or HD TVs...or both, so:

Cables - Unless you're having to run more than 2 metres of cables from the sources to your TV, you don't really have to worry about the quality of the cable. If you do want some kind of brand names to look for - QED or Ixos would be recommended. But just go for one that's affordable for you- the full-on audiophile approach tends not to give that much return for your money and just gets uneccesarily picky.

HD tellys - Cheap models - fine for HD pictures, dodgy for SD pictures. If you're only going to have HD pictures going into it, cheaper brands will be okay.

CRTs still outperformance a lot of the LCD/Plasma screens when it comes to SD video.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:19 pm

For whatever reason, when I run an HDMI cable from DVD to my TV, the only option I have to watch a film is in stretch-mode (which can be annoying as hell if you're watching a pan-and-scan DVD or a DVD of a TV show). I've tried every combination in the setup menus that I can think of. Anyone else have this problem? Or better yet, a solution?
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:26 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:For whatever reason, when I run an HDMI cable from DVD to my TV, the only option I have to watch a film is in stretch-mode (which can be annoying as hell if you're watching a pan-and-scan DVD or a DVD of a TV show). I've tried every combination in the setup menus that I can think of. Anyone else have this problem? Or better yet, a solution?

I assume you don't have the problem when using a scart or other cable?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:28 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:For whatever reason, when I run an HDMI cable from DVD to my TV, the only option I have to watch a film is in stretch-mode (which can be annoying as hell if you're watching a pan-and-scan DVD or a DVD of a TV show). I've tried every combination in the setup menus that I can think of. Anyone else have this problem? Or better yet, a solution?

Nope. Just HDMI. I've tried calling the help lines for the TV and the DVD... they both pointed the finger at each other.
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:32 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

Nope. Just HDMI. I've tried calling the help lines for the TV and the DVD... they both pointed the finger at each other.

It could be that the TV doesn't automatically switch when using HDMI. Have you tried changing the aspect ratio on the TV when using the DVD player?
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:34 pm

Fried Gold wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

It could be that the TV doesn't automatically switch when using HDMI. Have you tried changing the aspect ratio on the TV when using the DVD player?

Yep, tried that as well... with HDMI, I get no option to change it. I'm guessing it's probably just the TV...
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Describe your home theater

Postby bastard_robo on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:37 pm

I have a prehistoric 22 inch TV in my room (its an RCA, one of the first with A/V input) My DVD player and VCR to run my cable.
Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everyone is gonna die. Come watch TV
— Rick and Morty

bastard_robo
SCANK BARON

Postby Fried Gold on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:40 pm

St. Alphonzo wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:
St. Alphonzo wrote:
Fried Gold wrote:

Yep, tried that as well... with HDMI, I get no option to change it. I'm guessing it's probably just the TV...

From what I know, the lack of support for aspect ratio signalling support with HDMI is quite widespread. The format hasn't been able to develop far enough for the TVs now being produced.

-> It's not really a problem with either the DVD player or the TV. It's more a calibration thing because of the HDMI.

Have a look on avforums.com and you'll probably find something relating to your model.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby St. Alphonzo on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Thanks FG!
ImageImage
St. Alphonzo
Patron Saint

Postby stereosforgeeks on Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:49 pm

50" Sony SXRD (rear projection lcd) HDTV.
5.1 Receiver (needs an upgrade)
stereosforgeeks
Re-Wound

Postby Wolfpack on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:00 pm

Err.... an Xbox and a 13" TV. :(
"Alright Shaggy - you and Scooby head over that way. The girls and I will go this way."
Wolfpack
AIRWOLF

Postby Fatsquatch on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:21 pm

I have a little 19" HDTV that I use for gaming and PC use, but for films I use a Dell DLP projector thrown onto a 92-inch Panoview Greywolf screen. I'm still using DVD and Laserdisc media, but will probably make the jump to either HD DVD and/or BluRay soon.

Well, if I don't redo my sound system first. I'm okay with my speakers and sub, but I'm still using a Dolby Prologic receiver that I've had since '95 or so. I'm REALLY way behind in that area... :?
Fatsquatch
GLIB

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:46 am

Maui wrote:Image

Hey!!!

Me too!!!

havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Maui on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:02 am

havocSchultz wrote:

Hey!!!

Me too!!!

We Canadians have to stick together, even when it comes to TVs, eh?
Maui
WoWie

Postby Zarles on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:04 am

Spongebob's eyes look like bunny ears on Jason's head.

Heh. Bunny ears on a TV. Funny.
Zarles
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby havocSchultz on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:11 am

Maui wrote:
havocSchultz wrote:

Hey!!!

Me too!!!

We Canadians have to stick together, even when it comes to TVs, eh?

Damn straight...

Must've been a two-for-one sale...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Doc Holliday on Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:27 am

Currently have a 42" Thomson widescreen TV and hooked up to that I have a Sony DVD player with surround sound. I reckon I'll upgrade to one of those wafer-thin TV's and HD in around 12 months time - too many other things demand that money at the moment :(
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:25 am

I am currently in the possesion of a large sony television, the screen is massive but it's one of those massive boxy things that take up half the room... Also have the corresponding DVD player that came with it, that is also massive and probably one of the prototype models...

Although it is wired through our brilliant stereo which is apparently really good... I can't remember what it's called though....

All needs a serious revamp though... which looks like it costs silly money at the moment...
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby SilentBobX on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:54 am

St. Alphonzo wrote:I ended up buying my Sharp LCD HDTV from Costco of all places.

My rationale: unlike the Best Buys, Circuit Cities, etc, if I got the thing home and just plain didn't like it... they'd take it back, no questions asked (and no "restocking fee" either)! I ended up quite liking the tv, but it was comforting to know that I could have just gotten rid of it if I needed to!

St. Alphonzo, and Zarles, thanks. Much obliged.

I'm currently eyeing a 37 in. Vizio LCD HDTV at Walfart. I'm also hoping the price will go down soon, because I've seen it happen on others. Plus, my tv is over 10 yrs old and I know its time is coming to put it out to pasture.

Also, another question. What's this about the SD signal going to digital in Feb 2009? Or do I have this misconstrued in some way.

Again, thanks to all your input and help.

Mahalo
SilentBobX
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:05 am

All my stuff is from the bleeding edge of technology...6 years ago.

36' Sony Wega flat screen (not panel, this thing is huge)

Sony 5.1 surround

Sony 5 disk DVD / CD player / AMFM stereo / with pre-amp - I think it is called the Sony home theater system, seriously.

My old style Xbox

The best for last: 1975 Panasonic turntable and cassette recorder with wood inlays- I plugged my new head phones into this, through on a mint original pressing of Led Zeppelin 3, and one joint later I am in '75. Analogue really is better. So rich a sound...
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:08 am

whatever you do SilentBob, please check out cnet.com for their review of the model you're looking at (I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your model, I'm jsut saying that cnet.com does a bang-up job of reviewing products).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Next

Return to DVD / Blu-ray